Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13202122
Results 1,051 to 1,084 of 1084

Thread: David Cassidy

  1. #1051
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Uptown Whittier
    Posts
    3,910
    Yeah, Frampton has some real talent. He was one of David Bowie's guitar players on tour, maybe the Glass Spider tour, or Serious Moonlight...

    I found out that my niece is homecoming queen at her school. Makes me think of that song about daydream believers... but that was the Monkeys... not Cassidy...?
    Last edited by Hidium; 10-19-2015 at 07:56 PM.

  2. #1052
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,775
    Frampton was good but wow did he get heavy rotation. yes, it was the Monkees that did Daydream Believer, not DC. My girlfriend/wife was a Monkee fan.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

  3. #1053
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Yeah, Frampton has some real talent. He was one of David Bowie's guitar players on tour, maybe the Glass Spider tour, or Serious Moonlight...

    I found out that my niece is homecoming queen at her school. Makes me think of that song about daydream believers... but that was the Monkeys... not Cassidy...?
    Congratulations to your niece!!!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

  4. #1054
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,022
    David Cassidy has extra charges which could lead to more jail time.http://radaronline.com/celebrity-new...d-lead-prison/
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

    Edna St. Vincent Millay

  5. #1055
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,775
    I wonder if he is swirling the drain physically and mentally. http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...cid=spartandhp
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

  6. #1056
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,812
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I wonder if he is swirling the drain physically and mentally. http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celeb...cid=spartandhp
    That is sad.

  7. #1057
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Burlington,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    2,825
    Reveals he is suffering from dementia. I would not wish this on anyone, the poor guy. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...mentia-w467940
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

  8. #1058
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Disgusting state of NJ
    Posts
    3,399
    Since I can't get onto my FB page and go on the deathhags page on there. I just want to say yes people with dementia do slur their speech, they do fall it depends on what stage you're at there is also a violent stage. My mother held a knife to her caregivers throat and had a hard time in getting into a home because she was considered violent. She did not slur her speech she stopped talking unless is was to my father. When she stopped talking all together she would just lay in her bed mouthing at the ceiling. My mil has it. Last year she was bad but not overly bad, she had punched out a couple of nurses and you can't understand her when she talks and at least once a week we get a call saying she fell out of bed or something to get a scrape. It truly is a long goodbye my mother lasted many years.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

  9. #1059
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,165
    David was my first crush. This really makes me sad.

  10. #1060
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    314
    For my mother it began with her repeating something she has said minutes earlier - and we both new what was in store for her as her mother went the same way - Alzheimer's. She put on a brave front but as the disease progressed she'd forgotten who everyone was but still had absolute trust in my father who became her caregiver. It was heartbreaking to see a woman who was once so vital, slowly crumble away to a mumbling, blind, emaciated, withered shell who begged her god "Please take me now". Every now and then she would become lucid and say something that made her "her" again or take drags of toilet paper she had rolled up, remembering that she was a smoker at one point. Unfortunately she also had a spine rapidly deteriorating due to osteoarthritis so she was also in a fog of narcotics. After she broke her hip falling out of bed, she died 6 days later. Altzheimer's is a horrible, methodical thief. To me it is one of the most indignant ways to go. You literally become an infant again.

  11. #1061
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,426
    For Jerseysucks and KissingJosh, I am so sorry you had to go through that with your Moms. My Mom had Alzheimers/Dementia as well, and died from complications of the disease. She forgot how to swallow and choked on a piece of food. She began having symptoms about ten years before she passed away. I could go on and on with horror stories of that era, but twice she tried to kill me, the Sheriff was called, and she sucker punched a big burly guy. She was always angry about the littlest things, but her temperament was magnified by 100 once the dementia set it. That said, I would not wish that on anyone either. There are some rumors going around that David Cassidy was drunk and he used dementia as an excuse to get sympathy. If that's true, in my book that is just as bad as Dementia.

    One thing I read recently is that long-term cigarette smoking seems to be a common denominator for folks with Alzheimers/Dementia. My Mom smoked for at least 40 years but then quit cold-turkey in her early 50s when she had her first heart attack. I have talked to family and friends whose loved ones have/had Alzheimers/Dementia and quite a few of them have told me that their loved ones were also long-term smokers. So if you smoke, please quit now! I do know that David Cassidy is a long-term smoker. Also, all that drinking and drugging for decades didn't help his current situation.
    Last edited by geekygirl; 02-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  12. #1062
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where East meets West
    Posts
    1,789
    After reading what Dr Phil says (love him or hate him, he does have access to experts) David exhibited all the characteristics of someone clearly inebriated in that much viewed video of his latest stage performance. I don't doubt his admission of being diagnosed with dementia, that really sucks. I'm certainly no expert, but have known a couple of people who went through dementia and then died from alzheimers, and the whole time they didn't recognize me neither one of them slurred their words. I suspect David Cassidy is still battling the bottle, much like his dad did. If that is in fact the case, it's a shame he won't admit it. We're all human and vulnerable to things, but we respect honesty. Hell, if I was diagnosed with dementia, I would make plans for what facility to put me in where I'm going to be cared for, and have me some cocktails every evening until I forget where I keep the bottle! I wish David Cassidy nothing but the best, but I do hope he never drives again.
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 02-28-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

  13. #1063
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    For my mother it began with her repeating something she has said minutes earlier - and we both new what was in store for her as her mother went the same way - Alzheimer's. She put on a brave front but as the disease progressed she'd forgotten who everyone was but still had absolute trust in my father who became her caregiver. It was heartbreaking to see a woman who was once so vital, slowly crumble away to a mumbling, blind, emaciated, withered shell who begged her god "Please take me now". Every now and then she would become lucid and say something that made her "her" again or take drags of toilet paper she had rolled up, remembering that she was a smoker at one point. Unfortunately she also had a spine rapidly deteriorating due to osteoarthritis so she was also in a fog of narcotics. After she broke her hip falling out of bed, she died 6 days later. Altzheimer's is a horrible, methodical thief. To me it is one of the most indignant ways to go. You literally become an infant again.
    For my Grandma her attacks would begin at night where she would say Help me and chant it all night until I guess her mind just finally shut off and let her rest and then when I had to keep her it was like a demon had possessed her and she would cuss people out. I don't wish Alzheimers upon my worst enemies and it's actually a cause I believe in so if someone approaches me for an Alzheimers research fund I donate. I'd give anything to go back before she passed away and before she started going down from the disease and just spend one last day with her.

  14. #1064
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    314
    Yes - my mother would chant `Please God take me, take me now` over and over again. I swear when I looked into her eyes SHE KNEW exactly what was happening to her and but didn`t know how to communicate it - and her eyes - the last time I looked into them will haunt me forever. Such terror in them .. if it happens to me and I am lucky enough to recognize it I will swallow every pill I have.

  15. #1065
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where East meets West
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    Yes - my mother would chant `Please God take me, take me now` over and over again. I swear when I looked into her eyes SHE KNEW exactly what was happening to her and but didn`t know how to communicate it - and her eyes - the last time I looked into them will haunt me forever. Such terror in them .. if it happens to me and I am lucky enough to recognize it I will swallow every pill I have.
    Honestly that would be my intention as well, I don't ever want to live like that or be a burden to others. The comment about "terror in her eyes" really got to me. My sweetheart watched her husband die a slow death from parkinsons with onset dementia, and she mentions the very same thing. Truly heartbreaking!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

  16. #1066
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,624
    My mom has it as well was diagnosed very early..it is a horrible disease and I wish there was a cure.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer. #METOO

  17. #1067
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    After reading what Dr Phil says (love him or hate him, he does have access to experts) David exhibited all the characteristics of someone clearly inebriated in that much viewed video of his latest stage performance. I don't doubt his admission of being diagnosed with dementia, that really sucks. I'm certainly no expert, but have known a couple of people who went through dementia and then died from alzheimers, and the whole time they didn't recognize me neither one of them slurred their words. I suspect David Cassidy is still battling the bottle, much like his dad did. If that is in fact the case, it's a shame he won't admit it. We're all human and vulnerable to things, but we respect honesty. Hell, if I was diagnosed with dementia, I would make plans for what facility to put me in where I'm going to be cared for, and have me some cocktails every evening until I forget where I keep the bottle! I wish David Cassidy nothing but the best, but I do hope he never drives again.
    I don't listen to Dr. Phil's take on anything, but I completely agree with your post!
    On an interview I watched with him just like a couple weeks ago (not sure which show, but two women were doing the interview) he was -- that was NOT dementia.

    I've looked after those afflicted with Dementia and it's a crushingly sad condition and I feel horrible for it's victims and their families, and David's is no exception; I hate that he has it.
    My father-in-law had it, and it was just painful for everyone... it was Alzheimer's by the time it was named, and my husband went through SO many emotions, as did his wife (of 71 years!) The grandkids didn't understand it (great-grandkids, I should say) and it was just a nightmare that seemed to never end. I looked after a man we called "The Colonel" (was a character, I loved him!) and he -- one night he climbed out his window and was trying to climb the power pole "to watch for enemy soldiers." He could look at an old photograph of him and his company next to their plane in the war and name every one of them, and his daughter would speak to him and he had no idea who she was. We'd play Army with paper clips and lighters. I always had to be the Germans and I always lost. But I loved him so much. And I hated what it did to him; I knew he garnered so much respect one day, and I knew he still deserved it. But people treated him like a baby and I hated that. I treated him with respect and even after he was put into a nursing home, I was still there, playing army on his tray with those same paper clips and lighters. Still losing, too!

    But David Cassidy (oh my GOD I loved him as a kid! He was gorgeous!) He may well have Dementia, I'm not saying he's lying. But when asked which song the fans asked for the most, and he said, "I Think I Love You" -- the interviewers kinda sang it, you know, "So what am I so afraid of...." and he -- he tried to join in and it was beyond slurred, it was downright embarrassing. And the women were at a loss -- I mean it was BAD. I never looked at the footage of him falling off the stage because I knew it would be sad to see, but I'd heard of his drinking problem decades ago and I suspect it would be in his best interest for him, as you said, to never get near alcohol again. (Easy for me to say, right?)

    He spoke more about Dementia than Alcoholism on the show, and that (to me) wasn't altogether right. Again, not saying he's lying, but he's clearly, still drinking because he was drunk during that interview (I'd bet my ass he was) and to not mention it was the kind of denial that means someone's never going to stop because in their mind, the problem isn't there. So much for the alcoholics who could've benefited from his "Don't let this be you" advice he didn't give. And if you have a drinking problem that won't allow you to speak without slurring, wouldn't you at least mention that it aggravates the Dementia? By not mentioning it, he made it more obvious somehow.

    I think it's good that he's decided to stop touring "for a while." I would love to read that he got help for his drinking, and I think if he did, his "Dementia" would get a whole lot better, as well.

    For some reason, it really bothers me to see people I adored in childhood now... becoming that. Like when I realized that was Lief Garret on one of those Dumb Criminals shows. He was a teenage heartthrob back in the day! He looked so... un-throbby! Never in a million years would I have recognized him. I felt like a fossil seeing that! Like Jerry Mathers (Beaver Cleaver) doing that commercial and grinning like he did when he was The Beav... ugh.

    Also: David Cassidy said he wrote a song called "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and I love Green Day, so I looked it up and yeah, he did. But so did Green Day, a decade earlier, (it was wildly popular, as I remember it.) Nothing really to add, it just seems like one of those song titles that, if you take from another song, would be really obvious. There are lots of songs of the same name that are completely different, but none with a title so.... specific. Anyway, just wondering aloud on that. Odd though. Having listened to his "Boulevard" though, I think he oughtta maybe slow down on the songwriting, as well. JS

    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

  18. #1068
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,426
    FYI -- In AA, it is not uncommon to encounter someone with "Wet Brain." This is an unscientific term given to long-term alcoholics with severe cognitive issues. Wet Brain has quite a few similarities with Dementia. My bet is that David Cassidy is more likely suffering from Wet Brain than Dementia. Although brain damage is still brain damage, no matter what it is called or how it happened.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  19. #1069
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle of the road
    Posts
    1,671
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Also: David Cassidy said he wrote a song called "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and I love Green Day, so I looked it up and yeah, he did. But so did Green Day, a decade earlier, (it was wildly popular, as I remember it.) Nothing really to add, it just seems like one of those song titles that, if you take from another song, would be really obvious. There are lots of songs of the same name that are completely different, but none with a title so.... specific. Anyway, just wondering aloud on that. Odd though. Having listened to his "Boulevard" though, I think he oughtta maybe slow down on the songwriting, as well. JS
    Actually 6 other artists used that song title before Green Day, including David Cassidy in 1990. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulev..._Broken_Dreams

    The earliest example I could find was from 1933 by Al Dubin.

    Al's version is the one most covered on youtube, by everyone from Tony Bennett and Sting to Amy Winehouse.

    David's song still sucks though.
    Morgan

  20. #1070
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    FYI -- In AA, it is not uncommon to encounter someone with "Wet Brain." This is an unscientific term given to long-term alcoholics with severe cognitive issues. Wet Brain has quite a few similarities with Dementia. My bet is that David Cassidy is more likely suffering from Wet Brain than Dementia. Although brain damage is still brain damage, no matter what it is called or how it happened.
    My Dad gets that too as well as "The Monday Morning Flu"

  21. #1071
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    FYI -- In AA, it is not uncommon to encounter someone with "Wet Brain." This is an unscientific term given to long-term alcoholics with severe cognitive issues. Wet Brain has quite a few similarities with Dementia. My bet is that David Cassidy is more likely suffering from Wet Brain than Dementia. Although brain damage is still brain damage, no matter what it is called or how it happened.
    My dad had it in the months before he died. I believe it's called Wernicke's encephalopathy.

  22. #1072
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,775
    I guess it all caught up with him. https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=spartandhp
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

  23. #1073
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuce Creek
    Posts
    35,578
    What a waste.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

    You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

  24. #1074
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I guess its just a matter of time. sad.

  25. #1075
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,775
    An alcoholic's death.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

  26. #1076
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuce Creek
    Posts
    35,578
    Yeah, it happened to my mother. She was just 67. Her middle sister will be 73 next month. She never drank or smoked, and I can't help but believe mama would still be alive if she had stayed quit in 1974. But, of course, you can't second guess death.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

    You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

  27. #1077
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nunya Bidness
    Posts
    10,829
    Geez! That is sad! My late friend and coworker
    Jeanne and I used to sing "I Think I Love You" to each other.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

    - R.H. Sin

  28. #1078
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Geez! That is sad! My late friend and coworker
    Jeanne and I used to sing "I Think I Love You" to each other.
    As a child from the 1970's I enjoyed that song.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  29. #1079
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,165
    That makes me so sad. He was my very first crush. I was going to marry him.

    Oh I never missed an episode of the Partridge Family.

  30. #1080
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    3,843
    needs a liver transplant - I am basically a teetotaller and will never understand people's obsession with alcohol

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42042662

  31. #1081
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,426
    He was my first crush too. Sad.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  32. #1082
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michiana
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    needs a liver transplant - I am basically a teetotaller and will never understand people's obsession with alcohol

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42042662
    Normally, people who drink to excess are self medicating. Count yourself lucky you don't have the emotional demons to silence with alcohol.

  33. #1083
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    394
    I assume this thread will soon be moved because he's finally passed.
    You never really know someone until they die and the results come back.-pkstracy

  34. #1084
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuce Creek
    Posts
    35,578
    He was alive when this thread was started. Now that he's dead he deserves to join the death threads.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

    You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •