Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic dead musicians

Unhappy Tragic dead musicians

There are SO many dead musicians that I miss, and each of these threads represent them! Freddie M., Jim Croce, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Michael Hutchence, Karen Carpenter, Janis Joplin........etc.. Anyone remember Mama Cass Elliot? Keith Moon? John Bonham? So many..

I could never get into the punk scene music, but have researched Sid Vicious and found that story quite sad... and FAD has someone profiled on the sight named G.G. Allin - Very sick and sad story.

There are others that have recently gone from suicide, anyone remember the tubes? One of their's just committed suicide, and what about Bruce (lead singer from Boston?) who committed suicide this year..

You mean Brad Delp? He sang in Boston.
    Also lost Eric Carr from KISS in 1991 and guitarist Mark St John earlier this year.
    Mark 16:15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation"

the bassist from l.a.'s hepcat just passed away last week.
    "...I remember when you were children, you were better than any man..."

-New York Dolls

LOL yep I meant brad delp and he was awesome.. thanks! and also yes... the hepcat basist.. there ya go!

The Brad Delp suicide hit me hard. I remember first listening to "Boston" in 1977 on a Saturday waiting for my Driver's Ed class.

I love or loved listening to "Boston" when I lift weights. I had to erase their songs off my cell I just can't listen to them at the moment...I think its a middle age crisis thing!!! LOL

Terry Kath, the original lead singer of Chicago. He had an awesome voice! So did Bob Hite of Canned Heat.

Lane Staley was one of the finest voices of my generation.

Don't forget Elvis

Elvis Presley's death was a huge tragedy in the music industry

Bon Scott, the original singer for AC DC....... not the way I want to go..... suffocating on his own vomit....

Jerry Garcia, John Lennon, George Harrison, Selena, John Denver, Patsy Cline, Ricky Nelson, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Hutchence, Mark Bolan, Karen Carpenter.....

Quote Originally Posted by savetheknot View Post

Ah, Layne Staley. LOVED that man's voice. I still listen to Alice in Chains almost every day. So sad. I still can't over the fact that they didn't find him until almost 2 weeks after his death, and that it was his parents who found him.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

Townes Van Zandt

He wasn't as famous as he could have been but that was by his own choice. He was one of the most respected song writers in the country/folk music world. Many got rich recording his songs and he didn't even care.

He died at the age of 52 after hip replacement surgery. The years on the road playing in small clubs had done their damage.

His songs are brutal. Someone asked why he only played sad songs. He replied, "I don't play sad songs. I play hopeless songs."

besides the names mentioned already. you also have...

Stiv Bators (Dead Boys)
    Joe Strummer (The Clash)
    Criss Oliva (Savatage)
    Dave Alexander (The Stooges)
    Ian Dury
    Bernard Edwards (Chic)
    Tony Thompson (Chic, Bowie, Power Station)
    James Brown
    Gene Clark (Byrds)
    Dee Dee Ramone
    Jerry Nolan (NY Dolls/Heartbreakers)
    Ronnie Van Zandt

the list just goes on and on. so much talent gone forever.

Elvis is the big one for me. Of course it's sad when anyone dies young or under poor circumstances. The guy from Sublime was also a sad case, Brad Nolen was his name?

Harry Chapin, Robert Palmer, Chris Ledoux....man this thread brings up memories!

How about Mick Ronson, Bowie's guitarist throughout the Ziggy Stardust era.

Johnny Thunders from the New York Dolls (some people think he was murdered).

Mia Zapata of the Gits.

D. Boon of the Minutemen.
    "...I remember when you were children, you were better than any man..."

-New York Dolls

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    He wasn't as famous as he could have been but that was by his own choice. He was one of the most respected song writers in the country/folk music world. Many got rich recording his songs and he didn't even care.

He died at the age of 52 after hip replacement surgery. The years on the road playing in small clubs had done their damage.

His songs are brutal. Someone asked why he only played sad songs. He replied, "I don't play sad songs. I play hopeless songs."
    Is he any relation to Ronnie? Now that was tragic.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Marvin Gaye[/SIZE]
    I'm not evil - I'm just drawn that way!

Quote Originally Posted by radio_free_bg View Post

Mia Zapata of the Gits.
    I was on Capitol Hill the night they found her body...we were all freaked out!

I also lived below Kristen Pfaff of Hole. She od'd in the tub the weekend we went camping. Came back and there cops and tv crews all over the place. I didn't realize it at the time but Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain were in and out of our building all the time. I had no clue who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    Is he any relation to Ronnie? Now that was tragic.
    No, not to my knowlwdge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townes_Van_Zandt

He's well known here in Texas. Perhaps you have heard Willie's version of Pancho & Lefty? Many famous musicians recorded his songs.

Randall William "Randy" Rhoads (Randy Rhodes) Randy was inducted into the Guitar Center Rock Walk (on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, CA), on March 18 2004. Rhoads' last name was mistakenly spelled "Rhodes" on his plaque, and by the time it was discovered, there was not enough time to correct the mistake.
    Last edited by smugpuppet; 10-08-2007 at 10:22 AM.

How about Kirsty Maccoll? Taken well before her time - if youve never heard of her check her out, amazing voice with quirky lyrics and such a sad sad way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsty_Maccoll

They used to joke where I worked about me as I saw Ian Drury at the London Palladium then he died and I saw Kirsty's last gig at the Shephers Bush Empire then she died. My mate said please dont go and see Chrissie Hyde as I like her ......
    How come your so chipper? Someone put a feather in your knickers?
    QB
    X

Pete Ham, Badfinger...really sad story.

One of my favorites....who many had never heard of during her brief life...Eva Cassidy. (Feb. 2, 1963-Nov. 2 1996) www.evacassidy.com Her haunting rendition of "Over the Rainbow" made her a huge hit, posthumously....especially in the U.K.

The one that kind of surprised me was John Entwhistle of The Who. Watching video of him playing bass was amazing. He had amazing fingering.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Minnie Riperton-her daughter is Maya Rudolph on SNL

Robert Palmer. I am huge 80's old school fan. He is missed....
    It's better to burn out than fade away......

Again, Gram Parsons...just think what he could have accomplished if he'd lived past 26...plus obviously the tragic home life, despite being rich. Money can't buy everything!

Randy's burial spot

Quote Originally Posted by smugpuppet View Post
    Randall William "Randy" Rhoads (Randy Rhodes) Randy was inducted into the Guitar Center Rock Walk (on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, CA), on March 18 2004. Rhoads' last name was mistakenly spelled "Rhodes" on his plaque, and by the time it was discovered, there was not enough time to correct the mistake.
    Randy is buried in San Bernardino, Calif. in the same cemetery where many of my family are buried. I must have drove by his tomb a dozen times before I recognized it. Anyway, it's easy to find, first on the left as you drive in. Last on the right as you leave.

He was one heck of a player. A great loss to hard rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Rhoads

Steve "steamin" Clark of Def Leppard.....tragic

Chris Whitley and Warren Zevon

For me it was Ben Orr, bassist and singer / songwriter for
    The Cars. Of course there's many more but Ben contributed
    so much to that band including singing my favorite tune:
    "Drive".

Cheers,
    Doug

Jeff Buckley was a sad loss. Imagine how big he would be if he were still with us.
    Ronnie Garvin was a local favorite. Very soulful just too many demons to deal with.

Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon, Hillel Slovak from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cliff Burton from Metallica, and Lisa Lopes from TLC.

As I already added in the musicians section, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott formerly of Pantera and Damageplan, murdered onstage, and Cliff Burton from Metallica, bus accident in Sweden. 2004 and 1986 RIP

There was Florence Ballard, the Supreme. She had such a glorious soprano voice, in her higher register. Her lower voice was nowhere near as grand. I listen to her rendition of "Oh Holy Night" and "Silent Night" sometimes; even when it isn't Christmas time; and tears stream down my face....such talent, such class, such poise, at one time....and then dead at 32, which is my age now.

I love you, Flo!

Herm

Quote Originally Posted by leppchic View Post
    Robert Palmer. I am huge 80's old school fan. He is missed....
    I agree. This guy was awesome. As stupid as this sounds, I remember dancing to Simply Irresistible at the bowling alley (my dad was on a league...i had to go...i was a kid.....)

Badfinger

Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    Pete Ham, Badfinger...really sad story.
    Didn't all or a couple of members of Badfinger commit suicide? I believe they're all dead...I could be wrong.
    [SIZE=4]I put the fun in funeral.[/SIZE]

Yea, Robert Palmer. Power Station guy right? Still shaking my head.... Layne Staley from Alice In Chains, man, what a voice. I collected all their cd's, powerful voice and such talent. UGH
    Looking forward to walking the streets of gold.

Rob Pilatus (Milli Vanilli), Billie Holliday, Franki Lymon, Vicki Sue Robinson (Disco, "Turn The Beat Around"),

Wink

Let's not forget about Shannon Hoon...ODB...Dime Bag...

Stevie Ray Vaughn and wasn't Eric Clapton sposed to be on that fatefull flight But couldn't make it?

Don't forget Croce and Denver. Yes. I grew up in the 70's.

Donnell Clyde 'Spade' Cooley (December 17, 1910November 23, 1969) was an American Western Swing musician, big band leader, actor, and television personality. His career ended when he was arrested and convicted for the murder of his second wife, Ella Mae Evans.

In 1961, his wife expressed her wish to be divorced from him, and Cooley responded by beating her and stomping on her body until she died. During the trial Cooley suffered a heart attack while he was delivered his prison sentence. After serving his time for a while, the state of California gave him a temporary release in order to play a benefit concert for the Deputy Sheriffs Association of Alameda County at the Paramount Theater in Oakland. After the performance, he suffered another heart attack in the backstage area. This time it was fatal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spade_Cooley

A movie is in the works with Dennis Quaid playing Spade Cooley.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436765/

No doubt, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Oh man, I still listen to his CD's. Love Stevie.
    Looking forward to walking the streets of gold.

This one suprized me

Original member of the Gin Blossoms-Doug Hopkins. He wrote the hits "Hey Jealousy" and "Found Out About You" and played on every track of the 4 times platinum album, but was not given any credit on the linear notes. He was basically fired by the band for his drinking before it was released. He committed suicide December 5, 1993.

I second Kirsty MacColl. Such a wonderful voice, very talented songwriter, and such a horrible way to go. I feel so bad for her sons, who saw it happen.

I have to go old school....Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper

Quote Originally Posted by savetheknot View Post
    Staley's style helped reshape a musical generation, and his long, drawn-out, incredibly painful death is one of the saddest tales I've ever heard.

What a relief it must have been for him to have finally died.

Paul Hester the drummer from crowded house hung himself from a tree march 26 2005