Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Knight

Ted Knight

I was looking through here and I didn't see alisting for Ted! Where's the love for Mr. Baxter? I was looking through his list on IMDB and was amazed at how much work he did from MTM to Too Close for Comfort to voice overs (Scooby Doo and Superfriends) to movies. I was really surprised to see that he had a bit role in Psycho too. Miss ya Ted.

Last edited by nytkrew; 10-24-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

I miss him, too.
    peek-a-boo!!

Here's another guy who should still be working today. He seemed to be so healthy and sharp witted. What happened?

i loved him in too close for comfort~

I loved him on the Mary Tyler Moore show. I would love to see a reunion show but with Ted being gone it wouldn't be the same.

In 1985, he was diagnosed with colon cancer which, despite rigorous treatment, eventually began to spread to his bladder and throughout his lower GI. He died on August 26, 1986 from complications due to surgery to remove a tumor of the urinary tract

SAD. Great actor

Seemed really sudden. I remember thinking that it hall happened quickly.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

These days either in Virginia or in Pakistan or Afghanistan
    He was awesome in Caddyshack as the Judge Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield tormented at Bushwood Country Club.

Ted was wonderfully smarmy!!

OOH I loved this guy! he was hysterical! I miss his humor tons!

"A little song a little dance a little selzer in your pants" Priceless

During WW2 he was a combat engineer and earned a number of medals for valor.
    One of our greatest generation...
    Charles Grodin talked about his close friendship with Ted Knight. Back in the 60's they both starred on a soap opera and had a difficult time getting through scenes as they both would crack each other up. One time Grodin invited Gaven McCleod on and they spent the entire hour just talking about Ted Knight. It was a nice gesture and made for entertaining television.

Caddyshack was awesome! "The world needs ditch diggers too Danny"...

Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Caddyshack was awesome! "The world needs ditch diggers too Danny"...
    Damn! You stole my quote! How about this one, "You'll get nothing and like it!"
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

I loved Ted! He was great in everything he did.

I was thinking of Cosmic Cow and came across Lydia Cornell's site (she played the blonde daughter in the Too Close for Comfort series) She is looking pretty good these days, here is her site with her pic

http://www.lydiacornell.com/

DAMN!

She is looking very fine! Thanks for the link, I needed that!

-K.

Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    She is looking very fine! Thanks for the link, I needed that!

-K.

Glad you enjoyed - she's a beauty.

Oddly enough, Ted started out as a ventriloquist (like Don Knotts). If the Ted Knight song HI GUY is available for download, download it and laugh.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Oddly enough, Ted started out as a ventriloquist (like Don Knotts). If the Ted Knight song HI GUY is available for download, download it and laugh.
    Here it is: http://www.billjerome.com/tedknight/audio_higuys.html

How 'bout a Fresca?

a great actor, an even greater loss

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I loved Ted! He was great in everything he did.

I was thinking of Cosmic Cow and came across Lydia Cornell's site (she played the blonde daughter in the Too Close for Comfort series) She is looking pretty good these days, here is her site with her pic

http://www.lydiacornell.com/
    I loved love TCFC. She looks better than ever.

My friend's dad died from colon cancer - he had just had a complete physical & he was fine. A month later he had a mass & in two weeks he was gone. It was unbelievable. RIP Ted.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

It's so strange, I was watching "Caddyshack" yesterday on cable and wondered about Ted Knight! He would certainly be an interesting one to get the Find a Death treatment. I was always fascinated by his relationship with Jim J. Bullock, how he didn't believe or didn't want to believe Jim J. was gay.

I LOVE Jim J Bullock! I love to say "Jim J Bullock". I used to watch him on Hollywood Squares lol.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

The whole Jim J/Tammy Faye (also really fun to say) show/dynamic always interested me too.

Jim J. Bullock. GRWWWWLL. What a cutie. And Lydia Cornell - who woulda thought she was so smart, and still looking great! Dont see much of Deborah Valkenburgh, though.
    Suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs F View Post
    It's so strange, I was watching "Caddyshack" yesterday on cable and wondered about Ted Knight! He would certainly be an interesting one to get the Find a Death treatment. I was always fascinated by his relationship with Jim J. Bullock, how he didn't believe or didn't want to believe Jim J. was gay.
    Ah..I am sure Knight knew that Bullock was/is gay. No whether or not Knight accepted it, thats a different issue. I seem to remember watching E years ago where they interviewed Bullock. Even back in the TCFC days, Bullock was already out of the closet and had a partner.

The cast knew.

I remember reading a couple different articles over the years that hinted that Ted Knight was not well liked by Edward Asner (he played Lou on the Mary Tyler Moore Show). However, I don't ever recall why they disliked each other or if it was ever mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    Here's another guy who should still be working today. He seemed to be so healthy and sharp witted. What happened?
    He died, that's what happened... hope you can forgive the man for DYING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    He died, that's what happened... hope you can forgive the man for DYING!!!
    JHC! LMAO!

I was just watching Oprah's "Mary Tyler Moore Show Reunion" episode and it was sad not to be able to see Ted. So I thought I'd bump this post!!

He was absolute GENIUS on the show and is very much missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    I was just watching Oprah's "Mary Tyler Moore Show Reunion" episode and it was sad not to be able to see Ted. So I thought I'd bump this post!!

He was absolute GENIUS on the show and is very much missed!
    I am watching it too and it seems empty without him.

Awwwwwww they just had a toast to Ted. Very nice.

Yes ... and it brought a tear to my eye (as it did to some of the other cast members).

It's funny how when you grow up with a show like this and remember the cast members a certain way ... and then see them and think "My GOD ... they look old"! Then you have to remember that YOU have aged too ...

I'm off to go toast myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I miss him, too.
    ok, completely unrelated, but your doggie is soo cute

Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    Yes ... and it brought a tear to my eye (as it did to some of the other cast members).

It's funny how when you grow up with a show like this and remember the cast members a certain way ... and then see them and think "My GOD ... they look old"! Then you have to remember that YOU have aged too ...

I'm off to go toast myself!!
    LOL, that is so true. I looked at Chloris Leachman and thought MAN! But yea, I have aged too!

I grew up with the show. I will be 40 in a matter of days and this was one of my parents' favorite shows.

On another note, I live in the Twin Cities where the show took place. I remember my first time going to downtown Minneapolis to see where Mary threw here hat and going to the Crystal Court in the IDS Center (our largest building here) to see where she rode the escalator.

Of course, now we have a statue of our beloved Mary on that corner.

I have my picture taken in front of the house too which is in the Kenwood area of Minneapolis. This was in 1987 when it still looked the same

It just sold again after a major overhaul - here is a great story with video from our local news when the house went up for sale about a year ago.

http://wcco.com/topstories/mary.tyle....2.364894.html

And some indoor pics from the new renovation from Minneapolis-Saint Paul magazine

http://www.mspmag.com/homes/roomology/50842.asp
    Check it out, you'll love it!

Looks like the house sold in June of 2007 for 2.8 million and is non homestead so they are renting it out!

Spalding!!!!!!!!!

He collected shirts and sweatshirts from colleges across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    I was looking through here and I didn't see alisting for Ted! Where's the love for Mr. Baxter? I was looking through his list on IMDB and was amazed at how much work he did from MTM to Too Close for Comfort to voice overs (Scooby Doo and Superfriends) to movies. I was really surprised to see that he had a bit role in Psycho too. Miss ya Ted.

i loved him on too close for comfort~ & his character on mary tyler moore~
    remember the lady who played georgette his wife?~ she plays the mother of robert's wife amy on everybody loves raymond, w/ some other dude as the father~ it just doesn't seem right seeing her w/ that guy playing married, her & ted as a couple i loved~

Ted and Lydia

I thought I read somewhere that they weren't that close during the show, due to his moodiness. Anyone else ever hear this?

that guy was funny on too close for comfort.

There are certain ensemble casts that could never be the same minus any one person. A reunion of The Mary Tyler Moore Show cast would never work without Ted Knight, any more than it would work without Mary.

Gavin Macleod in his early days was best friends with Ted Knight before Mary Tyler Moore -the shared the same agent.

Here is a great tribute clip by the MTM cast to Ted Baxter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL1TP...next=1&index=4
    Last edited by johnny; 12-16-2008 at 08:05 AM.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

one of my favorite charles grodin shows was the time he brought on gavin macleod and they spent the entire show talking about their good friend, ted knight.
    charles grodin in the 60's was on a soap opera with ted and they use to crack each other up. he told a funny/scary story about the time they were riding to the studio and ted's brakes went out and they ran into a brick wall.

here TEd Knight does a Ted Baxter shot on a real news show.
    kind of funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqYMS...aynext_from=PL
    Last edited by johnny; 12-16-2008 at 07:30 AM.

I have this posted this on the Jack Cassidy thread, but I thought I would post this here also so that people would know about the origins of the Mary Tyler Moore Show and Ted Baxter.

Jack Cassidy Co-starred in a TV sitcom in the Late 60's which was the inspiration for TV shows like Mary Tyler Moore.
    The Sets even looked like they were lifted from the show. Jack role in fact inspired the Ted Baxter character in that show.

Jack turned down the role to concentrate on more dramatic roles.

This sitcom won the Emmy for Best Comedy series and Jack was nominated for an Emmy for Best supporting actor.
    Jack is in part 2 & 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZegl1mjQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55k5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odh28...eature=related

Here is a review from MSN about the "Mary Tyler Moore" episode where Jack appears as Ted's brother.

Newscaster Ted Baxter (Ted Knight) goes into full panic mode when his handsome brother, Hal (Jack Cassidy), arrives in Minneapolis.
    It seems that there has been strong sibling rivalry between the Baxter boys since childhood, and now that Hal has achieved success as a photographer's model, Ted is certain that his brother has come to town to crow.
    As it turns out, however, blood is thicker than pancake makeup.

Ironically, actor Ted Knight was reportedly bothered by the presence of guest star Jack Cassidy, worried that the producers of The Mary Tyler Moore Show wanted to recast the "Ted Baxter" role with a better-known performer. Whatever the case, "Cover Boy" first aired on October 23, 1971. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Here is an opinion a a reviewer if Jack were to have taken the role.

Finally, I think that Jack Cassidy as Ted Baxter would have made for a very different show than what developed with Ted Knight as Baxter, because by 1970 Cassidy and his persona (as exploited to great effect on He & She) was so firmly established

I suspect that the writers would have focused more on that character to the detriment of the the other members of the WJM news “gang”.

Conversely, by the time Betty White joined the show as Sue Ann Nivens all of the characters were well established and could easily hold their own with the veteran TV star (of course, it also helped that White was playing a character against type).

here is the episode with Jack Cassidy

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31545174

Here is other information about Ted Knight on Wikipedia

Many fans often assumed Knight was like the Ted Baxter character in real life, causing him occasional problems, and great heartache.

In 1975, he approached The Mary Tyler Moore Show Producer David Davis and Director Jay Sandrich in tears asking to be removed from the show due to the often negative effect that this was having on his wife and children.

He was, in fact, an intelligent actor who worried that he was trapped in the character, and would be forever typecast.. James L. Brooks brought in Georgia Engel and Robbie Rist to develop the character's softer side.

To a degree Knight was typecast, although his character on Too Close for Comfort endeared him to a whole new audience of TV viewers.

Ted Knight was also a brave man who earned medals for valor in WW2 as a Combat Engineer.

Too Close For Comfort

I always like Too Close For Comfort. Hollywood just dosen't come up with good sit-coms anymore. Too many reality shows with ordinary people. Borring, very borring. Ted Knight seem to be in good shape, up until he died. He is very missed.

Ted Baxter is the ultimate !

Ted Knight was great in Caddyshack also. His two greatest roles.

Oh Silent Knight