Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Hudson

Rock Hudson

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e3VbSfQ3nAM

"Sniff, Swig, Puff" ??

LOLOLOLs---

Brace yourselves. Above is a clip in which Bea Arthur and Rock Hudson sing an up-tempo number all about drugs. "Sniff, swig, puff and all your cares are gone," the pair belt out on the 1979 Emmy-nominated Beatrice Arthur Special.
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

That was good! LOL
    Defunct the strings, Of cemetery things
    With one flat foot.....On the devil's wing

Thank you for that, because I got to see Neil Carter sing amazing Grace again. What a beautiful voice she had.

So Good!
    did you see my PSA thread with a few commecials?
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...psa+commercial

I like how the sets changed with the progression of their evening. I was afraid at the end they would turn each other on or something while they were so cozy on the couch...yeesh.

I did, Kathy, and just watched it all again I love the old black-n-whites

Jenny, that face in your Avatar is hilarious
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

I love that cartoon of the stars

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Jenny, that face in your Avatar is hilarious
    Glad to bring the lulz!

"Sniff, Swig, Puff" ??

LOLOLOLs---

Brace yourselves. Above is a clip in which Bea Arthur and Rock Hudson sing an up-tempo number all about drugs. "Sniff, swig, puff and all your cares are gone," the pair belt out on the 1979 Emmy-nominated Beatrice Arthur Special.
    LOL

That was fun! And much better than listening to what sounds like some ass' car horn being stuck in the on position outside on the street right now.

La di da, la di da, la la.

LOL

That was great. Now if only we could get a copy of that song. thank you.

Why does that creep me out?
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

wow... Bea Arthur was as handsome as Rock was.

WOW!!! an anti drug song by 2 homosexual drunks.

"Sniff, Swig, Puff" ??

LOLOLOLs---

YES! I'VE GOT THIS ON VHS. I LOVE IT. VERY AMUSING.

Rock Hudson

Well I would of figured there would be a thread on him. I looked didnt see one, If there is please merge!

On this date on 1985, Rock sucumbed to the Aids Virus

From Wiki:

Rock Hudson (November 17, 1925 – October 2, 1985) was an American film and television actor, recognised as a romantic leading man during the 1960s and 1970s. Hudson was voted Star of the Year, Favorite Leading Man, and similar titles by numerous movie magazines and was unquestionably one of the most popular and well-known movie stars of the time. He completed nearly 70 motion pictures and starred in several television productions during a career that spanned over four decades. Hudson was also one of the first major Hollywood celebrities to die from an AIDS related illness.

Early life
    Hudson was born Roy Harold Scherer, Jr., in Winnetka, Illinois, the son of Katherine Wood, a telephone operator, and Roy Harold Scherer, Sr., an auto mechanic who abandoned the family during the depths of the Great Depression. His mother remarried and his stepfather Wallace "Wally" Fitzgerald adopted him, changing his last name to Fitzgerald. Hudson's years at New Trier High School were unremarkable. He sang in the school's glee club and was remembered as a shy boy who delivered newspapers, ran errands and worked as a golf caddy.
    After graduating from high school, he served in the Philippines as an aircraft mechanic for the United States Navy during World War II. In 1946, Hudson moved to the Los Angeles area to pursue an acting career and applied to the University of Southern California's dramatics program, but he was rejected owing to poor grades. Hudson worked for a time as a truck driver, longing to be an actor but with no success in breaking into the movies. A fortunate meeting with Hollywood talent scout Henry Willson in 1948 got Hudson his start in the business.

[edit] Early career

Main article: Rock Hudson filmography
    Hudson made his debut with a small part in the 1948 Warner Bros.' Fighter Squadron. Hudson needed no less than 38 takes before successfully delivering his only line in the film.[1]
    He was further coached in acting, singing, dancing, fencing and horseback riding, and he began to feature in film magazines where he was promoted, possibly on the basis of his good looks. Success and recognition came in 1954 with Magnificent Obsession in which Hudson plays a bad boy who is redeemed opposite the popular star Jane Wyman. The film received rave reviews, with Modern Screen Magazine citing Hudson as the most popular actor of the year. Hudson's popularity soared in George Stevens's Giant, based on Edna Ferber's novel and co-starring Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean. As a result of their powerful performances, both Hudson and Dean were nominated for Oscars in the Best Actor category.
    Following Richard Brooks's notable Something of Value in 1957 and a moving performance in Charles Vidor's A Farewell to Arms, based on Ernest Hemingway's novel, Hudson sailed through the 1960s on a wave of romantic comedies. He portrayed humorous characters in Pillow Talk, the first of several profitable co-starring performances with Doris Day. This was followed by Come September, Send Me No Flowers, Man's Favorite Sport?, The Spiral Road (written by Jan de Hartog) and Strange Bedfellows. He worked outside his usual range on the science-fiction thriller Seconds (1966). The film flopped badly at the time but it later gained cult status, and his performance is often regarded as one of his best.[2][3]
    Last edited by death hag dee; 10-06-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    "A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
    Groucho Marx

[edit] Later career

Hudson's popularity on the big screen diminished after the 1960s. He was quite successful on television starring in a number of made-for-TV movies. His most successful series was McMillan and Wife opposite Susan Saint James from 1971 to 1977. In this series, Hudson played police commissioner Stewart "Mac" McMillan with Saint James playing his wife Sally. Their on-screen chemistry helped make the show a success.
    In the early 1980s following years of heavy drinking and smoking, Hudson began having health problems. Emergency quintuple heart bypass surgery in November 1981 sidelined Hudson and his then-new TV show, The Devlin Connection for a year; the show suffered for the delay and was cancelled not long after it returned to the airwaves in December 1982. Hudson recovered from the surgery but continued to smoke. He was visibly ill filming The Ambassador in 1983 with Robert Mitchum - the two stars did not like each other, and Mitchum himself had a serious drinking problem.[4]A couple of years later, Hudson's health had visibly deteriorated again, prompting different rumors.
    From 1984 to 1985, Hudson landed a recurring role on the hit ABC prime time soap opera Dynasty as "Daniel Reece," a love-interest for Krystle Carrington played by Linda Evans, and biological father of Sammy Jo Carrington played by Heather Locklear. While he had long been known to have difficulty memorizing lines, on Dynasty, Hudson's speech itself began to deteriorate.

[edit] Personal life

While Hudson's career was blooming, he was struggling to keep his personal life out of the headlines. Throughout his career, he epitomized wholesome manliness, and in 1955, after several male lovers, he married his agent's secretary Phyllis Gates. The news was made known by all the major gossip magazines. One magazine story, headlined "When Day Is Done, Heaven Is Waiting," quoted Hudson as saying, "When I count my blessings, my marriage tops the list." The union lasted three years. Gates filed for divorce in April 1958, charging mental cruelty. Hudson did not contest the divorce, and Gates received an alimony of US$250 a week for 10 years.[5]
    In Gates' 1987 autobiography My Husband, Rock Hudson, the book she wrote with veteran Hollywood chronicler Bob Thomas, Gates insists she dated Hudson for several months and lived with him for two months before his surprise marriage proposal. She claims to have married Hudson out of love and not, as it was later purported, to stave off a major exposure of Hudson's sexual orientation. However, after her death from lung cancer in January 2006, some informants reportedly stated that she was actually a lesbian who married Hudson for his money, knowing from the beginning of their relationship that he was gay.[6] She never remarried.
    According to the 1986 biography, Rock Hudson: His Story, by Hudson and Sara Davidson, Rock was good friends with American novelist Armistead Maupin and a few of Hudson's lovers were: Jack Coates (b. 1944); Hollywood publicist Tom Clark (b. 1933, d. 1995), who also later published a memoir about Hudson, Rock Hudson: Friend of Mine; and Marc Christian, who later won a suit against the Hudson estate.
    The book, The Thin Thirty, by Shannon Ragland, chronicles Hudson's involvement in a 1962 sex scandal at the University of Kentucky involving the football team. Ragland writes that Jim Barnett, a local low-level promoter, engaged in prostitution with members of the team, and that Hudson was one of Barnett's customers.[7]
    A popular urban legend states that Hudson married Jim Nabors in the 1970s. While Hudson was in fact a closet homosexual at the time, the two never had anything beyond a friendship. The legend was originated with a group of "middle-aged homosexuals who live in Huntington Beach", as Hudson put it, sending out joke invitations to "the marriage of Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors". Despite the obvious impossibility of such an event, the joke was taken seriously by some. As a result of the false rumor, Nabors and Hudson never spoke to each other again.[

Groucho Marx

Later years

In July 1985, Hudson joined his old friend Doris Day for the launch of her new TV cable show, Doris Day's Best Friends. His gaunt appearance, and his nearly incoherent speech, were so shocking it was broadcast again all over the national news shows that night and for weeks to come. Day herself stared at him throughout their appearance.
    Hudson had been diagnosed with HIV on June 5, 1984, but when the signs of illness became apparent, his publicity staff and doctors told the public he had inoperable liver cancer. It was not until July 25, 1985, while in Paris for treatment, that Hudson issued a press release announcing that he was dying of AIDS. In a later press release, Hudson speculated he might have contracted HIV through transfused blood from an infected donor during the multiple blood transfusions he received as part of his heart bypass procedure.
    Hudson flew back to Los Angeles on July 31, where he was so physically weak he was taken off by stretcher from an Air France Boeing 747, which he chartered and was the sole passenger along with his medical attendants.[9] He was flown by helicopter to Cedars Sinai Hospital, where he spent nearly a month undergoing further treatment. When the doctors told him there was no hope of saving his life, since the disease had progressed into the advanced stages, Hudson returned to his house, "The Castle," in Beverly Hills, where he remained in seclusion until his death on October 2 at 08:37 PST.
    Morgan Fairchild said "Rock Hudson's death gave AIDS a face".[10] Another Hudson biographer, David Bret maintained that the actor, sexually, was invariably the active partner (known as a "top") and that he therefore more than likely contracted AIDS from an infected blood transfusion during open-heart surgery, as he had first explained: the hospital where the procedure took place certainly recorded a number of such cases at the time.
    Following his funeral, his partner Marc Christian sued Hudson's estate on grounds of "intentional infliction of emotional distress."[11] Christian tested negative for HIV but claimed Hudson continued having sex with him until February 1985, more than eight months after Hudson knew he had AIDS. Hudson biographer Sara Davidson later stated that, by the time she had met Hudson, Christian was living in the guest house, and Tom Clark, who had been Hudson's life partner for many years before, was living in the house.[12
    Groucho Marx

He was a Tremendous actor both in his eariler years and later on also. I miss his face on the screen for sure.. Thanks for the great post and all the info on him..
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

What a gorgeous, gorgeous man he was! Such "bedroom eyes", and that voice! I love watching his movies with Doris Day, and I also just caught "All That Heaven Allows" with Jane Wyman the other day. A bit melodromatic, but sweet and a tearjerker nonetheless.

I love Rock Hudson!! I loved all his movies with Doris Day, I have the collectors set..."Don't Bring Me Flowers", "Pillow Talk", and "Please Don't Eat The Daisies". I also loved Tony Randall, too. I always thought RH was super hot
    Count on it, pee-drinking crap face!

He was so classy...when he did McMillan and Wife I loved that show...
    hurt an animal and I will kill you

I was shocked when he died of AIDS.

And shocked when I heard that he was gay.

I was still young then.

Opened my eyes to the fact that gay folks are just like everyone else; and should have the same consideration by law; as everyone else.

Great actor; good man; as far as I know.

Loved his work

This thread deserves a pic
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 03-15-2009 at 08:43 AM.

"Yeah, right. You just don't want to admit you take it up the tailpipe. LOL" - Mammy

today is the 23rd anniversary of Rock Hudson's death.

Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    today is the 23rd anniversary of Rock Hudson's death.

Damn...
    Gay Men...You make me sick ! Can't you be Bi-sexual long enough for me to have a taste ?

it was 1985 not 1995 and I just can't believe it's been that long since he passed away. I feel OLD

Rock Hudson was gay?! I can't believe that... the ladies loved him!

I'll never forget the day he told the world that he was dying of AIDS. The man helped to develop AIDS awearness to the public, saving a lot of lives in the process. Rest In Peace, Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    I'll never forget the day he told the world that he was dying of AIDS. The man helped to develop AIDS awearness to the public, saving a lot of lives in the process. Rest In Peace, Rock.
    Giant is one of my all time favorite movies and I think Rock Hudsons greatest role. Jim and Elizabeth were no slouches in it either...

I LOVE Giant. You can watch that movie anytime, but I especially like it on snowed in days when you can lie back and watch a good long movie.

"You and the rest of you stinking sons of Benedicts!"

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    He didn't want to tell anyone. Don't forget, ROCK kept the information from his 'partner' and (had) continued to have unprotected sex with him. The partner, MARC CHRISTIAN later sued ROCK' estate and won a substantial settlement for those reasons. He only acknowledged it once his hand was forced, and long after it was apparent to everyone else !

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    He didn't want to tell anyone. Don't forget, ROCK kept the information from his 'partner' and (had) continued to have unprotected sex with him. The partner, MARC CHRISTIAN later sued ROCK' estate and won a substantial settlement for those reasons. He only acknowledged it once his hand was forced, and long after it was apparent to everyone else !

That was very irresponsible of him but that was the early days and information was conflicting and constantly changing. That is not meant to excuse what he did.
    As far as keeping it a secret I can certainly understand that. It was the kiss of death for a career back then. It is still tough sledding ofr openly gay performers. Certain roles are OK for them but not heterosexual leading men.
    Neil Patrick Harris gets by because it is a comedy, the same with Nathan Lane. Jodi Foster keeps her mouth shut confirming nothing.You see straight actors playing gay characters to great critical acclaim, Sean Penn, the Brokeback boys even Sandra Bullock as the author and Truman Captoe confidant Harper Lee. You don't see the reverse with openly gay actors playing straight leading men. I can't think of one actually.
    I may end up asking this questions on the Fag hag and DeathDykes thread but there is a big difference in how people react to you once you come out to them or they know for sure.
    People may guess or assume a lot but when you tell them for sure they have to make a decision then and choose how they will deal with you.
    I am pretty out and I certainly look like a lesbian but I don't come out to my business clients until they ask me direct questions like tell me about your husband etc. Then I answer them honestly.
    I don't fault performers for not coming out. My better half is a working actor and she is most defiately not out professioally. I understand why and support her decision.
    Rock and others like him had to make some grim relationship choices,
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 10-09-2009 at 03:10 AM.

Interesting thred, I liked Rock, he was in a film called Embryo, I watched it over and over again, but now I can't find it on dvd which is a shame. I've never seen Giant though, can anyone tell me what its about?
    It costs nothing in this world to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by trinlee View Post
    Interesting thred, I liked Rock, he was in a film called Embryo, I watched it over and over again, but now I can't find it on dvd which is a shame. I've never seen Giant though, can anyone tell me what its about?

G I A N T is an account of the 1920s through late 1940s in Texas as seen through the eyes of a fictionalized family named BENEDICT who are exceptionally wealthy land owners. One of the characters, JETT RINK (played in the film by JAMES DEAN) starts off as one of the hired hands of the BENEDICTS and winds up as wealthy as his former employers. ELIZABETH TAYLOR plays the daughter of an affluent Marylander. ROCK HUDSON (a BENEDICT) goes to her parents countryside estate to inquire about buying a horse (I think the horse was called War Winds) and ends up marrying TAYLOR and taking her back to Texas with him. Great story, great film. I think that it's one of the best.

You can watch Embryo on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoRP...eature=related
    Suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    About Embryo, Rock filmed a full-frontal nude scene for that film (it was his first and only that I know of) with Barbara Carrera, but the studio trimmed the sequence prior to the film's release. I've read differing versions of WHY the scene was cut--either Hudson changed his mind about it or the studio cut the scene in order to obtain a 'PG' rating for the film. Either way, I've been waiting for years for that 'lost' scene to surface, and am surprised that it still hasn't, to my knowledge.

---
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    About Embryo, Rock filmed a full-frontal nude scene for that film (it was his first and only that I know of) with Barbara Carrera, but the studio trimmed the sequence prior to the film's release. I've read differing versions of WHY the scene was cut--either Hudson changed his mind about it or the studio cut the scene in order to obtain a 'PG' rating for the film. Either way, I've been waiting for years for that 'lost' scene to surface, and am surprised that it still hasn't, to my knowledge.

---
    Oh GOD YEAH!

Send that my way if you find it, will ya?
    Jon-Erik Hexum: 11/5/57 - 10/18/84
    How Jon-Erik stays in shape: "I should probably say lots and lots of sex. Although you don't burn up that many calories during sex. It's only like a couple hundred. I once heard somewhere that you get a lot more out of walking a mile. So you say, 'Hey, honey, how'd you like to walk a mile with me?'"
    www.TenaflyGuy.com

Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    Damn...
    Gay Men...You make me sick ! Can't you be Bi-sexual long enough for me to have a taste ?
    LMFAO. No lie!

That's one man I wouldn't mind a chance to change his mind! Not that I ever could, mind you, but I'd love the chance!

I read in his biography that he had slept with women, and actually preferred men who had been with women.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind being his bitch!
    Jon-Erik Hexum: 11/5/57 - 10/18/84
    How Jon-Erik stays in shape: "I should probably say lots and lots of sex. Although you don't burn up that many calories during sex. It's only like a couple hundred. I once heard somewhere that you get a lot more out of walking a mile. So you say, 'Hey, honey, how'd you like to walk a mile with me?'"
    www.TenaflyGuy.com

My absolute favorite Rock Hudson movies he did were Send Me No Flowers and Mans Favorite Sport.
    Even though he was gay he still played a great love scene.
    It's a shame so many people just talk about his sexuality. Who cares? He was a great actor.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

he was a good looking man that is for sure.

Sort of reminds me of Richard Chamberlain. Ok, who hasn't seen "The Thorn Birds"?? ::::Swwooooon::: I'm not Catholic, but hooo boy what a sexy priest.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    G I A N T is an account of the 1920s through late 1940s in Texas as seen through the eyes of a fictionalized family named BENEDICT who are exceptionally wealthy land owners. One of the characters, JETT RINK (played in the film by JAMES DEAN) starts off as one of the hired hands of the BENEDICTS and winds up as wealthy as his former employers. ELIZABETH TAYLOR plays the daughter of an affluent Marylander. ROCK HUDSON (a BENEDICT) goes to her parents countryside estate to inquire about buying a horse (I think the horse was called War Winds) and ends up marrying TAYLOR and taking her back to Texas with him. Great story, great film. I think that it's one of the best.

Many thanks Ive put it my film rental list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    OMG You are my new best friend thanks.
    It costs nothing in this world to be nice.

Happy 84th Birthday !

It's hard to believe he would be 84 if he had lived.

Thanks for all these great photos. Rock was just sooooooooo unbelievably gorgeous, in my opinion! Some of my guilty pleasures are the comedies he did with Doris Day. A bit dated now, but so sweet and funny.

I've never seen "Giant"... why is that? I need to get on that, pronto.
    Last edited by Katrinawitch; 11-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks for the photos. RIP Rock
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

favorite story...

My favorite Rock story is when he was invited to a dinner at the whitehouse when John Fitzgerald Kennedy was president..Kennedy knew Rock's original last name was Fitzgerald so he whispered to Rock that he knew all the Fitzgerald families were related..Rock replied, "Ella will be delighted to hear that."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Weathersby View Post
    My favorite Rock story is when he was invited to a dinner at the whitehouse when John Fitzgerald Kennedy was president..Kennedy knew Rock's original last name was Fitzgerald so he whispered to Rock that he knew all the Fitzgerald families were related..Rock replied, "Ella will be delighted to hear that."
    I love it!
    regards,
    Mary

Rock Hudson was so sexy that there is an instructional video on you tube which uses him in order to teach the fellows "How to Wear a Wife Beater" (tank top undershirt). The term 'wife beater' is used in the title of the video.

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5mkfeLsYc

It is like his sexiness will just always live on, really

I highly recommend "Man's Favorite Sport" with he and Paula Prentiss (sister of Ann Prentiss, who has a thread here) to anyone who would like to see him do a comedy along with almost like an 'anti Doris Day' or something.

When he fell ill, it was back in those days when folks were either ignorant without meaning to about how one could get HIV or AIDS or just intolerant minded towards those who had either HIV or AIDS. Heck, sometimes folks were both things back then because there will just always being ignorant intolerant folks in this life.