Thread: Nick Reynolds/Kingston Trio

Nick Reynolds/Kingston Trio

Nick Reynolds, a founding member of the Kingston Trio who jump-started the revival folk scene of the late 1950s and paved the way for artists such as Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, has died. He was 75.
    Reynolds had been hospitalized with acute respiratory disease and other illnesses, and died Wednesday in San Diego after his family took him off life support, said son Joshua Reynolds.
    "Dad was so happy he turned people onto music in a way that people could really approach it, in a simple and honest way," Josh Reynolds told The Associated Press. "He was a very gracious and loving performer. He was a devoted family man."
    The Kingston Trio's version of the 19th century folk song "Tom Dooley" landed the group a No. 1 spot on the charts in 1958, and launched the band's career.
    Born on July 27, 1933, in San Diego, Nicholas Reynolds demonstrated an early love of music and did sing-alongs with his two sisters and their Navy captain-father, who taught him to play guitar.
    He graduated from Coronado High School in 1951 and attended the University of Arizona and San Diego State University before attending Menlo College, a business school near Palo Alto. He graduated from Menlo in 1956.
    It was during the mid-1950s that Nicholas Reynolds met Bob Shane, who introduced him to Stanford student Dave Guard. Guard and Shane knew each other from playing music in Guard's native Hawaii. The three formed the Kingston Trio.
    In 1958, "Tom Dooley" earned Reynolds, Guard and Shane a trophy for best country and western performance at the first Grammys. The group, defined by tight harmonies and a clean-cut style, went on to win a Grammy the next year for best folk performance for its album "The Kingston Trio At Large."
    Later member John Stewart joined the group in 1961, replacing Guard. Stewart died in January, also in San Diego.
    After leaving the Kingston Trio in 1967, Reynolds moved to Oregon, where he stayed until the 1980s and took a break from music to raise his family, his son said.
    Reynolds moved back to California in the mid-1980s and rejoined Stewart for one album. In 1991, Reynolds rejoined Shane in a reconstituted version of the Trio. He remained with the group until retiring in 2003, his son said.
    Reynolds is survived by his wife Leslie, sons Joshua and John Pike Reynolds, daughters Annie Reynolds Moore and Jennifer Reynolds, and his two sisters.

Left to right: Bob Shane, John Stewart and Nick Reynolds
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I remember the Kingston Trio from the early 60's. One of my older sisters had a couple of their albums.

That was certainly a simpler time in many respects.
    Throwing feces.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Probably my favorite of all folk songs...
    Greenback Dollar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Jh4KjPP-o

Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    Probably my favorite of all folk songs...
    Greenback Dollar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Jh4KjPP-o

I had forgotten about that one!

It was great.
    Throwing feces.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

i remember these guys as young men, we had all their albums and played them endlessly. beautiful voices. great great group, up their with peter, paul and mary and that particular 'beatnik' scene of the sixties. rip
    pull the string!

So sad that more hasn't been written. Nick Reynolds was a great singer and harmonizer. He led on many of the Trios greatest records, including "MTA". I met him at a concert and he invited me to share a beer with him after the program. One of the nicest celebrities you could have hoped to meet.

The Kingston Trio gets slack notice and so little recognition today, but between 1958 and 1967, they were the premier musical act in the country, far and away ahead of their contemporaries, and paving the way for thousands of others to try their hand at folk music, and eventually, folk-rock. The K3 was soon displaced by the Beatles, and retired on their own. The group later reorganized, but only as a caricature of itself. Banjoist John Stewart went on to have a great career in R&R, dying only a few months prior to his friend, Nick Reynolds.

Nick's son, Joshua, has leased the rights to the "Kingston Trio" name from the last survivor, Bob Shane. Shane is in frail health, and residing in Phoenix.
    Josh Reynolds and his cousin, Mike Marvin, abruptly displaced the group that was continuing as "The Kingston Trio", in a somewhat tacky business decision between Shane and himself. The group performing as the "Trio" was a polished, talented, group of performers. Member George Grove, had performed with Shane and Reynolds, and over 40 years, as banjoist for the group. The newly appointed "Kingston Trio", while it includes Nick's son, is not as polished musically or vocally. While they carry a thread of original "Kingston Trio" legacy, it remains to be seen how the group will fare.