Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 2232

Thread: Buddy Holly

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    She lost the baby she was carrying of Holly's shortly after his death, and never remarried.

    I don't know if she's still alive or not tho.
    She's alive.
    Lives in Texas.
    Remarried, has three children, but is divorced now.
    Works full time promoting Buddy's legacy.
    Including the Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock.

    Here's what she looks like today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tombstone Tourist; 10-30-2007 at 04:11 PM.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,321
    Wow .. much of what's being said of Holly's widow must be true. Check out the quote from eyeglasses article;

    Buddy Holly's brother, 70-year-old Travis Holley, is pleased the glasses will be on display. ''Those were Buddy's trademark. We would rather they be where the public can view them. We really don't have that many things that hold sentimental value.''
    You mean not even Buddy Holly's OWN BROTHER has ever been allowed to hold something dear to his heart after Buddy died? My Lord . Sounds like the brother had little, or nothing to have after Buddy died. Man. And Buddy's mom? And dad? Anyone in his family (other than the wife ) have cherished anything of their son? Geesh. I never knew this. Sounds a little Howard K. Sternish if of Holly's widow if you ask me. What a sad sack she is, to say the least.

    ~Mamma
    Last edited by Mamma; 10-30-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!


  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    I met Maria at one of the early tribute shows in Clear Lake, probably 1980 or 1981. She was great! HOWEVER, when she saw how much money could be made for shows like this, her demands went out of this world. She now asks $25,000 just for the name BUDDY HOLLY to be used for anything. I believe that's why the museum in Lubbock changed their name to the Western Texas Music Museum, or something like that. AND, to bring it up again.....she never was pregnant with Buddy's child. It was a sympathy lie.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    786
    I heard Maria Elena got married about a year after Buddy died. Got over that one quick, didn't she?

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Nice to see you back, Bee! Love that pic of Buddy, by the way.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    Buddy's plane type he was in.

    http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/beechcraftbonanza.html

    I am now on a quest to find the plane.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    65
    Jeez, no wonder they died instantly. That plane isnt much

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by CCB72 View Post
    Jeez, no wonder they died instantly. That plane isnt much
    I don't know how high the plane was but it hit hard frozen bare ground.
    It doesn't matter what it's made of. It's the physics of the thing.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    2,210
    I have several pieces of the Buddy Holly plane. Sent to me by a very good friend *smug*

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    3000 ft by the FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I don't know how high the plane was but it hit hard frozen bare ground.
    It doesn't matter what it's made of. It's the physics of the thing.
    It was around 5.5 miles from the airport and would have been in the air no longer than 2 minutes. If you look at the cockpit and at the co-pilots side this was I don't think they got that high as that is a pretty good rate of climb for this plane. Your right here in Feb. the ground is like rock.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Buddy's Overnight bag found at wreck site, Thought I would share the link.

    http://www.rockin50s.com/bag.htm

    looking at the bag is creepy!! looks like the brush could use a good cleaning though! LOL

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    65
    I think it's fantastic they were able to salvage such a thing...that bag has stuff that Buddy had used up until that point on that tour...they dont want to disturb anything, as it would take away the nostalgia

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    Why

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    looking at the bag is creepy!! looks like the brush could use a good cleaning though! LOL

    Suntan lotion in the midwest in Feb.?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,508
    That plane looks like a little tin can. If I had to go down, I would prefer to go in something substantially bigger !!!


    What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

    ]

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,043
    My uncle used to own a Beechcraft Bonaza and I flew in it once from North Texas to Tulsa, Ok. I was only a kid, but it was scary as hell!!!!! I can only imagine what Buddy went through knowing they were fixing to crash.
    Thanks for the link to the dock kit (back in the 50's that's what they called an overnight bag like this. Damn I'm old. lol), it was truly sad to see, but being a loyal death hag, I HAD to look. It's a true piece of Music History.
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Wilds of North Georgia
    Posts
    5

    Bopper/Valens/Holly Plane Crash correction

    Greetings.

    What I'm about to request may seem to everyone else like minor, petty quibbling. First off, I'll freely admit to being anal retentive in some manners, and have been accused of being obsessive at times, even by people that weren't trying to be insulting.

    Having said that....

    In the findadeath.com article describing the tragedy in which three musical legends were tragically killed in that winter-engulfed field in rural Iowa, the description reads [...]serial number N3794N. [...]

    The serial number for the accident aircraft would likely have been E-### or something along those lines.

    The comparison could be made thus:

    Airplane: Car:
    Registration No. License Plate no.
    Serial No. VIN

    The difference is that the serial number is assigned to the aircraft by the aircraft manufacturer when it's built, and remains the same, regardless of state of registration, while the aircraft is still in existence. It is unique to each individual aircraft, and thus won't be duplicated.

    The Regstration number, or N number, in the case of US registered aircraft, is assigned by the agency responsible for such things (the FAA in the US), and can (and will) change based on the country of registration.

    Examples:
    N3794N (US)
    RA-85050 (Russia)
    C-FYLD (Canada)
    UR-82060 (Ukraine)
    PH-BUF (Netherlands)

    Etc.

    The serial number for the accident aircraft would likely have been E-### or something along those lines.

    As I said, I know this is petty quibbling, but it's just something that grates on my nerves, I guess.

    Scott, you run a top-notch site. I keep coming back because of well written content, and the comfort of knowing that I'm not the only 'Death Hag' out there.

    Thank you.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    That was me

    If you had read the line it says "this is the type of plane".

    http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/beechcraftbonanza.html
    Last edited by onehunglow; 11-26-2007 at 06:14 PM.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    If you had read the line it says "this is the type of plane".

    http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/beechcraftbonanza.html
    Like your signature pic bro. You know whats funny? The Brits called those guys terrorist.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    among many other things

    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Like your signature pic bro. You know whats funny? The Brits called those guys terrorist.
    They were right. They did a job on them.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    I believe the plane got buried,so good luck seeing that!

    And I bet the guys in the plane had no idea what hit 'em. They probably thought they were on a steady climb into the night sky, when instead they were headed down.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,142
    The contents and his overnight bag are very poignant!

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Dot View Post
    Greetings.

    What I'm about to request may seem to everyone else like minor, petty quibbling. First off, I'll freely admit to being anal retentive in some manners, and have been accused of being obsessive at times, even by people that weren't trying to be insulting.

    Having said that....

    In the findadeath.com article describing the tragedy in which three musical legends were tragically killed in that winter-engulfed field in rural Iowa, the description reads [...]serial number N3794N. [...]

    The serial number for the accident aircraft would likely have been E-### or something along those lines.

    The comparison could be made thus:

    Airplane: Car:
    Registration No. License Plate no.
    Serial No. VIN

    The difference is that the serial number is assigned to the aircraft by the aircraft manufacturer when it's built, and remains the same, regardless of state of registration, while the aircraft is still in existence. It is unique to each individual aircraft, and thus won't be duplicated.

    The Regstration number, or N number, in the case of US registered aircraft, is assigned by the agency responsible for such things (the FAA in the US), and can (and will) change based on the country of registration.

    Examples:
    N3794N (US)
    RA-85050 (Russia)
    C-FYLD (Canada)
    UR-82060 (Ukraine)
    PH-BUF (Netherlands)

    Etc.

    The serial number for the accident aircraft would likely have been E-### or something along those lines.

    As I said, I know this is petty quibbling, but it's just something that grates on my nerves, I guess.

    Scott, you run a top-notch site. I keep coming back because of well written content, and the comfort of knowing that I'm not the only 'Death Hag' out there.

    Thank you.
    According to this site, the serial number was D-1019. The wing number of the plane is the number that people have been using. That number was N3794N, according to this site.

    http://www.buddyhollyonline.com/crashstats.html

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    Don't think so

    Quote Originally Posted by onkster View Post
    I believe the plane got buried,so good luck seeing that!

    And I bet the guys in the plane had no idea what hit 'em. They probably thought they were on a steady climb into the night sky, when instead they were headed down.
    I lived 15 miles from the crash site. There are a lot of people that watched it leave the airport on a flatbed when the FAA turned it over. The place where iy is said to be is a spook show by itself. The place is also owned by a person of interest. For years people picked up pieces. Knowing where it may be and getting in are two issues. Some claim they got to see it. They all point to the same building that has been unused since 1959. As well as guarded by some huge bulls as well as dogs over the years.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    Of all of the dead people on Find A Death, I think the saddest one Is Buddy Holly. He was too young. He was way ahead of his time. He had raw talent that you don't get in voice or guitar lessons. He should be a senior citizen now with stuff to share. That link with his bag and personal items is heartbreaking.
    One of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read was an interview that Texas Monthly had done with his widow...it had to have been around 5 or so years ago. Poor dear, she still hurts to this day. Despite her life having continued she's still torn.
    Last edited by Lucy Furr; 11-30-2007 at 05:27 AM.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    One of the most heartbreaking things I've ever read was an interview that Texas Monthly had done with his widow...it had to have been around 5 or so years ago. Poor dear, she still hurts to this day. Despite her life having continued she'd still torn.
    I don't feel bad for her. She lied about her pregnancy. Buddy was going to divorce her after the tour and move back to Lubbock and she wanted no part of moving to Lubbock. His family never liked her and even more so now. Because they were married at the time of the crash, she owns the name and images of Buddy and leaves his family out of everything. Everything she has said in interviews is scripted.

  26. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,142
    Just saw the great Paul Anka on parkinson, he said Buddy holly, who was a good friend had been taking pilot lessons, when he could afford to and loved flying, so he possibly had no fear when it came to getting on the plane! I did see the amazing photo of Buddy Hollys bag, Very poignant and sad! Love that about this forum as I appreciate also the bizarre and OTT!

  27. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Middle Midwest
    Posts
    1,890

    Lightbulb What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I don't feel bad for her. She lied about her pregnancy. Buddy was going to divorce her after the tour and move back to Lubbock and she wanted no part of moving to Lubbock. His family never liked her and even more so now. Because they were married at the time of the crash, she owns the name and images of Buddy and leaves his family out of everything. Everything she has said in interviews is scripted.
    She lied about her pregnancy??? I am out of the loop here....was I duped by the fable about her carrying his child and then "miscarrying" out of grief when Buddy died??? This changes my whole image of her as "grieving widow".....thanks, Gary, for giving me the truth!!!

  28. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Well, when the tour was on, Bopper's wife was pregnant and constantly talked about his wife and the new baby. Buddy never talked about Maria having a baby and even to the best recollection of his band at the time (Tommy Allsup, Waylon Jennings, Carl Bunch) Buddy never once mentioned Maria being pregnant, though he was thrilled to death (sorry) that Bopper was going to have another child (he already had a little girl). Buddy supposedly said that he was looking forward to becoming a father "some day", but that was about all he said. Does that mean she wasn't pregnant? No, but those who knew Buddy said that if they were going to have a baby he would have been bragging it up as much as Bopper. She was "supposedly" 4 months along, so it's not like he wouldn't have known. Even his family didn't know.
    She "miscarried" when she heard of the crash, but then recovered enough to fly to Lubbock for the burial, but never went to the funeral. She stayed in her hotel room. Why didn't she stay with Buddy's family? They didn't like her......she was, and is, a phony.

  29. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Just saw the great Paul Anka on parkinson, he said Buddy holly, who was a good friend had been taking pilot lessons, when he could afford to and loved flying, so he possibly had no fear when it came to getting on the plane! I did see the amazing photo of Buddy Hollys bag, Very poignant and sad! Love that about this forum as I appreciate also the bizarre and OTT!
    There's a lot of things that Paul Anka says that are questionable. He once said HE was supposed to be on the plane with Buddy.......Paul wasn't even on the tour! There's other things Paul said but I can't remember.......I'll have to do a little more research on that.

  30. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,321
    I saw this at CNN. The more I hear about MRS. Buddy Holly, the less I like her ....

    _______________________________________________________

    LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- Buddy Holly's widow is trying to keep the woman whose name was made famous by the 1950s hit song "Peggy Sue" from selling a book about her friendship with the rocker.


    Buddy Holly performs in the 1950s. The singer died in a plane crash in 1959.




    Maria Elena Holly says Peggy Sue Gerron's "Whatever Happened to Peggy Sue?" is unauthorized and will harm her late husband's name, her own reputation and that of her company, Holly Properties.

    "It's very interesting that this woman makes up all these stories," Maria Elena Holly said Friday from her home in Dallas. "He never, never considered Peggy Sue a friend."

    Gerron, who lives in Lubbock, said she and another woman wrote the 283-page book because 2008 is the 50th anniversary of the release of "Peggy Sue." Buddy Holly also recorded "Peggy Sue Got Married."

    Gerron said material for the book came from about 150 diary entries she wrote during the time she knew the singer, she said.
    "I wanted to give him his voice. It's my book, my memoirs," she said from Tyler, where her publishing company held a news conference Friday defending Gerron's right to pen her biography. "We were very, very good friends. He was probably one of the best friends I ever had."

    Maria Elena Holly said she would sue if excerpts she's read online appear in the book, which is due in bookstores later this month.
    "I don't understand why people do that, especially when she knows that people know the truth," she said.

    This week, her attorney, Richard Wallace, sent a cease-and-desist letter to TogiEntertainment Inc., an Oklahoma City-based publishing house. Wallace declined to comment Friday.

    Buddy Holly died February 3, 1959, in a plane crash that also killed singers Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. Holly was 22.
    Maria Elena Holly, who married the singer just months before the crash, has for years owned the rights to her late husband's name, image and related trademarks, and other intellectual properties, the letter said.
    No one involved in the book's publication sought consent to use Buddy Holly's name or image -- "his likeness will be featured prominently" on the book's cover and the subtitle reads, "Memoirs of Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue," according to the letter.

    "Confusion and tarnishment of Buddy Holly's name and Ms. Holly's reputation are likely to result from this unauthorized book," the letter states.


    It demands the ceasing of promotion and sale of the book, removal of the subtitle and cancellation of all book orders. It also asks for refunds on any deposits for the book and for an accounting of revenues from any sales.
    Mark Faulk, chief executive officer of TogiEntertainment, said the threat of a lawsuit won't deter Gerron or his company.

    "It's obvious that they do not want the work released," he said. "My feeling is that Maria Elena fears the truth will come out about Buddy Holly. If there is a lawsuit, our belief is that it will be totally frivolous."

    Buddy Holly's brother, Larry Holley, said "Peggy Sue" was not the original name in the song. Buddy Holly initially intended to use "Cindy Lou," his niece, Larry Holley said.

    Maria Elena Holly said her husband changed the name after Crickets drummer Jerry Allison asked him to because he had a crush on Gerron. Allison and Gerron married in July 1958

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

  31. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,142
    How can you possibly stop a book being written and published.
    There must be some truth in it!

  32. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,394
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    How can you possibly stop a book being written and published.
    There must be some truth in it!
    I think Maria just wants to keep Buddy all to herself - and any money to be made from him...JMO

  33. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Maria is an idiot, plain and simple. Other books about Buddy have been published but she never tried stopping those. I think it's HER image she's worried about as Peggy Sue is finally going to tell the truth about MEH after all these years. Maria wants $$$ for the use of Buddy's name...........HEY MARIA, try collecting from me! BUDDY HOLLY, BUDDY HOLLY, BUDDY HOLLY, BUDDY HOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

  34. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lubbock/San Angelo Texas
    Posts
    3,461
    the next time i'm in lubbock, i'll have to get some pics of the big peggy sue painting that's on the side of one of the buildings there.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"



  35. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    What the hell do they mean by "the real truth" about Holly coming out? I have studied Holly for years and have no idea what they are talking about.

  36. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,714
    So do you think the book should come out? Would you buy it? I will, because I think it will give us another side of him, and his life.

  37. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    [SIZE=3]Living just down the road from where Buddy Holly and the “Big Dropper” dropped in, we’ve heard for years that the trio was taken to the Mason City hospital to wait for the funeral homes to get them. Ah! The x-rays, how many funeral homes have those and why? The rumor is that they did the autopsies right there and the pictures are still locked up in a safe. Many of the Doctors have seen them as all of the new Directors. In 1959 the ditch going into that cornfield was 8 feet deep to allow for snow to be pushed in and half full. There is no way a funeral home would send an expensive hearse on a frozen torn up field. I’ve driven on them with tractors, jeeps and pickups. The ride from hell. You would have that thing hung up like a thug. So I have to agree that the pictures of 3 on the slab do exist. I also have friend whose Father was the head of maintenance in 1959 and he confirms they did the big cut there as the Death Certificate does say CG County. There are pictures or were on the net about 5 years ago that showed close ups of the three on the ground as well as the pilot’s legs sticking out looking more like ground round. I do have a piece of the plane. Every fall after the corn or beans are picked the metal detectors come out. I’m going myself as soon as this corn is down. [/SIZE]
    I have YET to see an actual autopsy report. What has been around online for years is just a description of the injuries on the body as the ghoul of a coroner saw them. If an inernal exam was done, I have no idea where it was done and where the full autopsy reports are. The death certificate is going to say Cerro Gordo county since that is where they died.

    If any pictures exsit of them "on a slab" I'll eat my hat!

  38. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Buddy's Overnight bag found at wreck site, Thought I would share the link.

    http://www.rockin50s.com/bag.htm
    That picture of him is from the infamous "Green Bay Photos"

    Buddy and the others played in Green Bay the night before Clear Lake (Feb 1, 1959) there was a foursome, 2 twin sisters and their bf's, one of which was a novice if not up and coming photographer. Back in those days, you could just walk up to the stars and take their pic. There are numerous close ups of Buddy, Ritchie and Bopper and some with the twins.

    The twins and their bf's (now their husbands) are at the Surf each year on the anniversary and sell the pics. I bought all of them! They are quite a find.

    Anyone want to read a fabulous book on the crash check out The Day the Music Died by Larry Lehmer. Hope it's still around. It is the best of all the books. I have an autographed copy, met Larry down in Clear Lake the year he wrote it.

  39. #139
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I have YET to see an actual autopsy report. What has been around online for years is just a description of the injuries on the body as the ghoul of a coroner saw them. If an inernal exam was done, I have no idea where it was done and where the full autopsy reports are. The death certificate is going to say Cerro Gordo county since that is where they died.

    If any pictures exsit of them "on a slab" I'll eat my hat!
    I was offered copies of the pictures "on the slab" many years ago, but I turned them down. I didn't want to remember the three stars that way. They were described to me over the phone, though, and the pix were in b&w. The guy who offered them to me died just a few years ago and now I wish I got copies when I had the chance.
    Will I buy the book? Probably........just to piss Maria off. I don't think there will be anything "new" in there that I haven't already heard about.

  40. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    There's a few urban legends regarding the plane's name and who was or wasn't supposed to be on board.

    http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/americanpie.asp

  41. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I don't feel bad for her. She lied about her pregnancy. Buddy was going to divorce her after the tour and move back to Lubbock and she wanted no part of moving to Lubbock. His family never liked her and even more so now. Because they were married at the time of the crash, she owns the name and images of Buddy and leaves his family out of everything. Everything she has said in interviews is scripted.
    Are you saying that she was never pregnant? Because I read she lost the baby at 7 months.
    I read today that her rights to all of BUddys things is almost over and that she sues everyone for using his name without paying her, The article also said she has been married 4 times since Buddy died. I have no idea howe much of all of that is true.
    I would really like to know if he was divorcing her. His last phone call was to her.

  42. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    I wonder why they are saying "they are afraid the truth will come out about BUddy Holly" good lord don't tell me they are going to trash this guy? I also read some time back that BUddys parents were not happy that she was Mexican and that caused trouble within the family. DOes anyone know if that is true? You really got me going about jer NOT being pregnant and maybe it will come out in that book? The moive I saw shows how he chased Maria down to get her to marry him and it was the love story of the year. His brohter is still alive so maybe he will tell the truth but looks like he is kind of sticking up for her?

  43. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I was one of the founding members of the Buddy Holly Memorial Society back in the late 70s. At that time, I was in contact with a guy in Canada (Skip Brooks) who claimed he had b&w photos of the three bodies on the slab. Says he got them from the coroner many years before. Skip was a HUUUUUGE Buddy fan at the time of the crash and collected anything he could get his hands on then. I believe it was a year or so after the crash, Skip wrote to Buddy's parents and told them how much he loved Buddy's music and how much of a fan he was and Buddy's parents kept in contact with Skip thru the years, until their deaths. They even sent Skip some of Buddy's personal things, like a leather belt that Buddy made in school, a handkerchief, and some music stuff. Anyway, back to the photos of the bodies on the slab, I remember Skip describing them to me over the phone and I thought it was pretty gross, obviously. After Skip was done describing them, he asked me if I wanted copies of them and I politely turned him down. DUHHH!!! WHY THE F**K DID I DO THAT!?? I should have taken him up on his offer! But I just didn't want to remember seeing them that way, so left it at that. Well, Skip has died since then and I often wonder where those photos are now.

    I believe that there were photos because they always took photos of thebodies. I also read somewhere else that there were photos but they were too gross to let the public see. After reading the autopsy reports that they had out I would think they were pretty battered up. Poor guys.
    I loved Buddy Holly.

  44. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Are you saying that she was never pregnant? Because I read she lost the baby at 7 months.
    I read today that her rights to all of BUddys things is almost over and that she sues everyone for using his name without paying her, The article also said she has been married 4 times since Buddy died. I have no idea howe much of all of that is true.
    I would really like to know if he was divorcing her. His last phone call was to her.
    Maria was either A: NOT pregnant or B: pregnant with somebody else's kid. IF she lost the kid at 7 months (she supposedly lost it within days of Buddys crash) then it could NOT have been Buddy's child. They met and got married in Aug. 1958. He was killed 5 months plus a few days later.
    Buddy's own brother said Buddy wanted a divorce. He was planning on moving back to Lubbock shortly after the tour and she wanted nothing to do with that and was going to stay in NYC. His brother was getting papers ready for Buddy to sign. Plans were being made for a new house with a built-in studio for Buddy and his own recording business, PRISM RECORDS. He even had business cards made up. Buddy also wanted to get back with the original Crickets. Ritchie Valens idolized Buddy and was even going to record with, and for, Buddy. THAT would have been something!!!!

  45. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I wonder why they are saying "they are afraid the truth will come out about BUddy Holly" good lord don't tell me they are going to trash this guy? I also read some time back that BUddys parents were not happy that she was Mexican and that caused trouble within the family. DOes anyone know if that is true? You really got me going about jer NOT being pregnant and maybe it will come out in that book? The moive I saw shows how he chased Maria down to get her to marry him and it was the love story of the year. His brohter is still alive so maybe he will tell the truth but looks like he is kind of sticking up for her?
    No, Peggy Sue isn't going to trash Buddy. She would never do that, even to sell books. Peggy, I believe, is just going to tell the real story of how she knew Buddy, how the song came to be (originally titled CINDY LOU), the break-up of the Crickets, what she knew of Buddy's relationship with Maria (ah HA....the truth!), and everybody's lives after Buddy died. Maria is afraid the truth about the baby is going to come out.

  46. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I believe that there were photos because they always took photos of thebodies. I also read somewhere else that there were photos but they were too gross to let the public see. After reading the autopsy reports that they had out I would think they were pretty battered up. Poor guys.
    I loved Buddy Holly.
    From the descriptions I was told that were in the photos, yes......they were a mess. In fact, the only way Ritchie Valens was identified was because of his R.V. tattoo on his arm.

  47. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    From the descriptions I was told that were in the photos, yes......they were a mess. In fact, the only way Ritchie Valens was identified was because of his R.V. tattoo on his arm.
    As a death investigator, the pictures of the bodies lying in the cornfield look pretty intact to me for a plane crash.

    Ritchie Valens was a big dude. So was JP Richardson. Buddy Holly and Roger Peterson were thin and smaller men.

    Their bodies actually would have been quite easy to identify, even if their face and head had much trauma.

    Back in those days, they used actual people to say "yea, that's him" That is no longer done.

  48. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    As a death investigator, the pictures of the bodies lying in the cornfield look pretty intact to me for a plane crash.

    Ritchie Valens was a big dude. So was JP Richardson. Buddy Holly and Roger Peterson were thin and smaller men.

    Their bodies actually would have been quite easy to identify, even if their face and head had much trauma.

    Back in those days, they used actual people to say "yea, that's him" That is no longer done.
    Buddy Holly's brother (Larry) and I think a cousin went to Iowa to claim the body. Larry couldn't/didn't want to see the bodies, so the cousin went inside the morgue and identified the bodies. The authorities also thought there was another body somewhere as FIVE wallets were found. Apparently, Buddy had Tommy Allsup's wallet because the hotel rooms in the Fargo/Moorhead area that they were staying at were all under Tommy's name, so Buddy had the wallet/I.D. to claim the rooms.

  49. #149
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Buddy Holly's brother (Larry) and I think a cousin went to Iowa to claim the body. Larry couldn't/didn't want to see the bodies, so the cousin went inside the morgue and identified the bodies. The authorities also thought there was another body somewhere as FIVE wallets were found. Apparently, Buddy had Tommy Allsup's wallet because the hotel rooms in the Fargo/Moorhead area that they were staying at were all under Tommy's name, so Buddy had the wallet/I.D. to claim the rooms.
    Yea, I read the story of Larry Holly. Is he still alive? Last I heard, he was. Is Bill Griggs still alive?

    I also remember the 5th body story. Then they figured out the mix-up.

    Larry Holly seemed like a really nice guy.

  50. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Hey Gary, I found this site

    http://larryholley.com/

    But looks like not a lot of work done on it and no one seems to have been on it since Nov of 2007.

    I'm bad with faces, but who is that woman in the pic? It's not Maria Elena is it? Nah, it must be this Sherry Holley who is also on the site. Is that his wife?

    Anyone read the book, I must get it now!

    The Buddy I knew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •