Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Nelsons, Ozzie, Harriet and Ricky

I hope Krissy Harmon is out of the picture, she was bad news. Here's a video of one of Rick's late '60s compositions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMKfznhChs

Quote Originally Posted by microsonic66 View Post
    Here's a video of one of Rick's late '60s compositions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMKfznhChs
    Thank you for this! This is the first time I've heard this song...and it's lovely!
    Last edited by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host; 10-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    "If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker

I have been watching the O&H show on RTV everyday at 10pm eastern. The prints they are using are in really bad shape and you can tell they probably only have certain episodes to run. A week or so ago they were airing 1959-60 shows and this week they have been showing 1963-64 shows when Rick was married to nutty Kris and David married to June. It's weird looking at how much in love Rick & Kris seemed on the show and then knowing the truth about what went on behind the scenes with thier bitter marriage.

I read somewhere that Kris resented the fact that Rick got her pregnant and they had a shotgun wedding. She supposedly didn't want children and Rick did. Tracy was born full term and healthy, but the Nelson's/Harmon's covered it up and lied to the press that she was premature and put her in a incubator so people wouldn't count back and realize the truth. ABC also had a morals claus (this was 1963) that said if the family did something out of moral character, they would cancel the show.

I know years later in the 80's, Tracy had Hodgkins Lymphoma, so it makes me wonder about the incuator thing. I hope Sam gets the shows restored. I have some DVD's and the prints are poor quality as well, especially the color shows that I have seen. They have turned red/pink.

It's a shame how they didn't take care to preserve of those early days of tv. So much is either in bad shape or just lost to history.

So little forethought. So much radio tv and film is just gone forever. Drives me nuts.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

It certainly has been a while since Sam Nelson said he would try and restore the 435 episodes. I know that sort of task would definitely take some time, but I don't know...
    "If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    So little forethought. So much radio tv and film is just gone forever. Drives me nuts.
    ITA! I'd rather see something like O&H on DVD than some of the dreck that passes for entertainment nowadays.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

a nice clip from the mike douglas show, circa 1966. ozzie and harriet were the cohosts and got surprised by rick and david.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmcmk4wulsk
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

a wonderful interview with david and rick nelson. these two brothers who loved each other really dish on each other as only brothers can.

very nice and touching.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBIJf6ueYk
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    ABC also had a morals claus (this was 1963) that said if the family did something out of moral character, they would cancel the show.

I wonder if this was strictly for actors in sitcoms & dramas or for everything else having to do with ABC ?? I believe Dick Clark was involved in a very bitter ugly divorce in the early 60's with his wife "Bobbie". I guess ABC didn't have a cow over it since of course Clark would continue to host American Bandstand.

I read that Sam Nelson reached his goal of funding for the Ozzie and Harriet restoration project and they are in the process of digitizing.

I wonder if they plan a season by season release, which would take forever since the show was on for 14 seasons (1952-1966). I hope they do a box set of all seasons and charge a fair price. I read that they plan to include original commercials and a lot of extras.

I'm anxious to see the color shows restored from the final season (1965-1966). In syndication if they by chance have a few shows from that season, they are always black and white kinescope prints that look grainy and horrible. I have a few bootleg color shows from the Disney channel in the 80's and they are all faded red/pink and sometimes jump due to badly abused prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy's Girl View Post
    Once in awhile they will still show some episodes of the Ozzie and Harriet show on TV. Some may say they are corny, but I get a kick out of them sometimes, it was such a simple era. Such a shame about Ricky dying in that crash.

Someone who really didn't get enough credit was David Nelson. They say he was such a dedicated son and supportive brother, even though he didn't get half the attention that Ricky got. He also stepped in and took care of each of his parents till the end. Ricky's children said David made sure that Ricky's estate was straightened out and that all of his kids received a good inheritance. David's step children claim he is the greatest father ever. I found it interesting that the son and the brother who got the least amount of attention turned out to be such a great guy...
    It was a simple era but I enjoyed it as a child. Everything was AMERICAN. I hardly recall anything foreign here.
    It was totally different than it is today. To me it's actually strange today compared to that simple era. Some things today are better some things are not.

Ozzie and Harriet and their sons were a big part of the American family as I recall. Ricky had a big hit in the late 50's called
    "Poor little fool". Even my grandmother liked it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12H8QWnwvE

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    It was a simple era but I enjoyed it as a child. Everything was AMERICAN. I hardly recall anything foreign here.
    It was totally different than it is today. To me it's actually strange today compared to that simple era. Some things today are better some things are not.

Ozzie and Harriet and their sons were a big part of the American family as I recall. Ricky had a big hit in the late 50's called
    "Poor little fool". Even my grandmother liked it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12H8QWnwvE
    Imports were a novelty back then. Like a lot of those little Japan porcelain figurines that women would flip over. Now everything is imported, nothing American made.

It's sad that The Nelson's are now largely forgotten. If you asked anyone under 30 today about them, they would think you were nuts.