Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson

Marilyn Manson

I don't get him. I also don't see the attraction. If you are fan, please tell me what the excitement is about him.

If you are not a fan, maybe you can tell me why he gives me the creeps.

im not a fan of him but he doesnt especially bother me. i dont care about him.
    The one thing i hate is that he chose Manson as his name, giving the old bastard what he wants... more publicity and fame.

There is no valid explaination for Marilyn Manson. He did bang Rose McGowan though....gotta give him that.

Brian Hugh Warner (born January 5, 1969), better known by his stage name Marilyn Manson, is an American musician and artist known for his outrageous stage persona and image as the lead singer of the eponymous band. His stage name was formed from the names Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson, showing what he considered the ultimate and most disturbing dualism of American culture.

Well, I have seen him in concert a few times and I can say that he puts on a really good show. I was really into him a few years back, I liked his sound and his lyrics. I also thought it was unfair when he got blamed for Columbine. I guess I liked him because he was different from what was out at the time.

Just some Fucking Alice Cooper wanna be!!!

Nothing original about the guy at all! Even got the Idea for his name from the name Alice Cooper!

Just some loser who can't think of his own Ideas!!!

I am done ranting!!

Erm, most musicians are losers who can't think of their own ideas. Everyone is influenced by someone else to a certain point. No one can ever be TRULY individual.

I like Marilyn Manson, I actually think he's one of the more individual. He's nothing like Alice Cooper. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Erm, most musicians are losers who can't think of their own ideas. Everyone is influenced by someone else to a certain point. No one can ever be TRULY individual.

I like Marilyn Manson, I actually think he's one of the more individual. He's nothing like Alice Cooper. WTF.
    Actually Marilyn is Alice's son!!!

I am just kidding, there are alot of storys that bring them up because they are so alike.

But I respect your opinon...

I think him and Alice performed together recently in a concert!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkmADWFcKM

Here it is...Enjoy!!!

I always saw Marilyn to be more like David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, just heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Brian Hugh Warner (born January 5, 1969), better known by his stage name Marilyn Manson, is an American musician and artist known for his outrageous stage persona and image as the lead singer of the eponymous band. His stage name was formed from the names Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson, showing what he considered the ultimate and most disturbing dualism of American culture.

hey he stole my BD...well different year but still

i pay-per-viewed one of his concerts once, it was intense to say the least, kinda scary too~

TNpuck Guest
    [quote=SuckMyKiss;36005]Erm, most musicians are losers who can't think of their own ideas.

That's the most absurd statement I've read so far.

I'm not a fan of Manson ...but whatever he did ..if he copied someones style or whatever it obviously worked...he made it to the national level.

Saw some footage of him last night wiping his ass with the American flag.
    He's a button pusher.
    And at any rate, whatever he's done, he made a very large career out of it.

I've disliked him ever since I heard his totally fucked up version of "Sweet Dreams" - my favorite Eurythmics song!

He is one scary fucked up individual...I don't get him and I don't want to either. Take some of that money and fix your freaky assed eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I've disliked him ever since I heard his totally fucked up version of "Sweet Dreams" - my favorite Eurythmics song!
    I posted him and Alice Cooper doing it live in this thread!

Its not that great!!! Alice is laughing thru most of it!

I personally don't like his music -- all he's about is shock value.

Sorry if I offended any fans.

[quote=TNpuck;36184]
    Erm, most musicians are losers who can't think of their own ideas.

Explain why so? It is impossible for anyone to be COMPLETELY original these days, be at a band/artist/actor, or just a normal everday person.

Everyone to some point is influenced by someone/thing that has gone before.

Be it musical style/clothing style/acting style.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, most people just take bits and make it their own, but ultimately in this day and age, most people are influenced by something they have seen/heard.

You read an interview with 90% of bands, and they'll always ask ''Who were your musical influences?'' I'm not saying these people COPY others. I'm saying it's pretty fucking hard to find anyone who is completely original
    these days.

[quote=TNpuck;36184]
    Erm, most musicians are losers who can't think of their own ideas.

I totally agree with you. Losers? Hmmm...
    “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

[quote=Ree;36504]
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post

I totally agree with you. Losers? Hmmm...
    Ok, I was quoting what Danny said about him being a ''Loser''.
    I simply meant that if Marilyn Manson is seen as a LOSER who steals other peoples ideas, then surely other artists/musicians must be losers. Cos they do it aswell. JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!

TNpuck Guest
    [quote=SuckMyKiss;36287]

Explain why so? It is impossible for anyone to be COMPLETELY original these days, be at a band/artist/actor, or just a normal everday person.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, most people just take bits and make it their own, but ultimately in this day and age, most people are influenced by something they have seen/heard.

You read an interview with 90% of bands, and they'll always ask ''Who were your musical influences?'' I'm not saying these people COPY others. I'm saying it's pretty fucking hard to find anyone who is completely original these days.
    Having influences is NOT stealing others ideas. If that's the case, you are guilty as well because everyone is influenced by something. Does that make you a loser? Or does that apply only to musicians?

[quote=SuckMyKiss;36518]

JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!
    Hun, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And its just that, your OPINION. No need getting so worked up if someone doesnt agree with you. Chill out.

Do you have to say everything in BOLD?
    [SIZE=3]Death becomes her...[/SIZE]

[quote=SuckMyKiss;36287]

You read an interview with 90% of bands, and they'll always ask ''Who were your musical influences?'' I'm not saying these people COPY others. I'm saying it's pretty fucking hard to find anyone who is completely original these days.
    I consider myself to be somewhat of a rock historian, and I believe your statements to be 100% correct. Name ANY act out nowadays and their "act" has already been done before. Hell, even in the past! The Beatles weren't original.....their first couple albums were loaded with American cover songs. They got a group together of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and drums because that's what Buddy Holly had. And Buddy did it because that's what Elvis had. Michael Jackson's moonwalk? It was done at least 20 years before. I have a video of Ronnie Hawkins in 1959 doing it. Mikey and his one glove? Forget it.......the Music Machine did that in 1966. Rap? Hell, James Brown was rapping in the 50s. And even he said the first rap song, in his opinion, was Buddy Holly's PEGGY SUE. I don't hear it myself, but the Godfather did.
    It's all been done before......in one way or another.

[quote=Plentiful;36536]

Hun, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And its just that, your OPINION. No need getting so worked up if someone doesnt agree with you. Chill out.

Do you have to say everything in BOLD?

OMG. You just told me to chill, and now your beefing at me because I write in bold?

And FYI....Yes I do.

KTHANKSBYE

[quote=TNpuck;36532]

Having influences is NOT stealing others ideas. If that's the case, you are guilty as well because everyone is influenced by something. Does that make you a loser? Or does that apply only to musicians?
    If you had read the post above the one you just posted you would see that I referencing someone elses quote, by saying they were ''losers''. I did not personally say they were ''losers''. I was simply stating that if he is seen as a loser, for copying other people, then everyother artist could be classed as a ''loser'' also.

WHile everyone debates whether MM or anyone else, is original or not, MM is laughing all the way to the bank!

[quote=Gary;36537]

I consider myself to be somewhat of a rock historian, and I believe your statements to be 100% correct. Name ANY act out nowadays and their "act" has already been done before. Hell, even in the past! The Beatles weren't original.....their first couple albums were loaded with American cover songs. They got a group together of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and drums because that's what Buddy Holly had. And Buddy did it because that's what Elvis had. Michael Jackson's moonwalk? It was done at least 20 years before. I have a video of Ronnie Hawkins in 1959 doing it. Mikey and his one glove? Forget it.......the Music Machine did that in 1966. Rap? Hell, James Brown was rapping in the 50s. And even he said the first rap song, in his opinion, was Buddy Holly's PEGGY SUE. I don't hear it myself, but the Godfather did.
    So that makes them losers? I wasnt debating the originality point I just dont believe that makes "most musicians losers". I would say its almost impossible to be original these days. Yes, I agree with that point.

[quote=Gary;36537]

And thank you. I'm glad someone finally got what I was trying to say.

Okay, Everyone return to their corner, and cool off. I just asked about a guy that I didn't understand. I have Googled him, and in my opinion, he can't sing. He looks like a girl, a very ugly one, and he has no clue.

Okay, go back to fighting..... I'm done.....

As the Cowardly Lion once said...."Put 'em up! Put 'em up!"

TNpuck Guest
    I'll agree that nothing now days is original at all, but are you basing your opinion that the Beatles weren't original on their first few albums only? What about Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt Pepper?

There is no copyright on what a rock band should look like, be it a rhythm, lead, bass and drums, or have one guy play both lead and rhythm ala Buddy Holly. That's up to the individual and really has nothing to do about originality. Elvis, Buddy and all the rest set the template that survives to this day, unless you're Spinal Tap, lol.

I have a problem with someone saying ALL musicians steal and are losers. Some of the greatest geniuses (sp?) that have ever lived were musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

You said it well Gary. You know your stuff!!!

[quote=SuckMyKiss;36518]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post

Ok, I was quoting what Danny said about him being a ''Loser''.
    I simply meant that if Marilyn Manson is seen as a LOSER who steals other peoples ideas, then surely other artists/musicians must be losers. Cos they do it aswell. JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!
    I apologize for saying "Loser." That was a bad choice for a word!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    lmao!

I like Marilyn. First of all, he's really intelligent and always speaks his mind. People can say he copies others but I don't really believe that. I think he just does what he feels without conforming to any type of trend or standard.

I understand Gary. He does not mean steal as in take what is not yours. He means copy. Old interviews of the Beatles they talk about how much Elvis influenced them.

Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    I like Marilyn. First of all, he's really intelligent and always speaks his mind. People can say he copies others but I don't really believe that. I think he just does what he feels without conforming to any type of trend or standard.
    So does my 90 year old grandma, and it's REALLY annoying!
    "A dreaded sunny day, so I'll meet you at the cemetry gates..." - The Smiths

[quote=SuckMyKiss;36567]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post

Everyone else: BLAH BLAH THAT THATS ABSURD BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Plentiful is right, dont get so worked up. Really, no harm done. Its all good! BE HAPPY!

And with that I shall move to another thread...gladly.

I'll agree that nothing now days is original at all, but are you basing your opinion that the Beatles weren't original on their first few albums only? What about Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt Pepper?

There is no copyright on what a rock band should look like, be it a rhythm, lead, bass and drums, or have one guy play both lead and rhythm ala Buddy Holly. That's up to the individual and really has nothing to do about originality. Elvis, Buddy and all the rest set the template that survives to this day, unless you're Spinal Tap, lol.

I have a problem with someone saying ALL musicians steal and are losers. Some of the greatest geniuses (sp?) that have ever lived were musicians.
    Are you unable to grasp the english language? WHERE DID I SAY THEY STEAL???? I said ''copy'' and are ''influenced''.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I understand Gary. He does not mean steal as in take what is not yours. He means copy. Old interviews of the Beatles they talk about how much Elvis influenced them.
    Yes, and they "took" part of his act and made it into their own. The Beatles sound was part Everly Brothers, part Motown, part Buddy Holly, and as other groups emerged, they "borrowed" from them, too, and other groups "borrowed" from the Beatles. It's all recycled and made to look/sound original.

And if the truth be known, most everyone copied from the black artists from years gone by. They were not sure that Elvis would sale in the South, because he sounded Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    And if the truth be known, most everyone copied from the black artists from years gone by. They were not sure that Elvis would sale in the South, because he sounded Black.
    I actually was going to say that, too. It all comes from African rhythms mixed in with cowboy/hillbilly. VOILA! ROCK AND ROLL!!!

Are you unable to grasp the english language?
    LOOK OUT!! SHES GOT A KNIFE!!!

Damn girl, you go for rudeness dont you?
    [SIZE=3]Death becomes her...[/SIZE]

Guest Guest
    I liked Dope Show.

End transmission.

TNpuck Guest
    Well I'm not going to get drawn into a game of insults. You may not have come out and specifically said it but it was implied, and I wasn't the only one who interpreted it as such. I mainly take exception to labeling musicians as losers, and that is how the post was written.

It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I liked Dope Show.

End transmission.
    Ditto.

I'm not a fan, used to be about 10 years ago, when I was a teenager...

I still like his first album, "Portrait of An American Family" but everything else he's done kind of sucks (aside from his Sweet Dreams cover and most of the songs on Antichrist Superstar). I think his appeal used to be to teenagers with overly religious, Christian fundamentalist parents (like me and some of my friends back then). But I really don't know what the appeal is now, he kind of lost me with the Mechanical Animals cd. I hated that song "Dope Show", the popular kids started liking him, and thats about the time I realized he was lame.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 11-04-2007 at 08:59 PM.

This will show you how good Manson is. You are all talking about him. I bet none of you can name 5 of his songs without using google. I can't. He is all show. His music is terrible. I hear it once and i forget about it.

To me, Marilyn Manson is not a shock rocker but a concept artist. Contrary to what many people think, he is very intelligent, well-read, introspective, and contemplative. Most of his music videos are partially directed by himself (as he supplies the concepts and art direction), and many of his symbols allude to literature and film. I cannot claim to understand all of the allusions.