Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 800 of 980

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

  1. #751
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    chicago, illinois
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding Cindi View Post
    Have been following this for a couple months...I am a realtor....I found and spoke to Rudy, the owner. He is 83 and sick...
    has no plans for the home when he passes. I have suggested that he donate it to a charity. I was there with two psychics...we had a k2 meter and were able to pick up intelligent responses to our questions. I plan to keep poking around and investigating.

    I wonder if whatever energy that is in this house predates the Perelsons? I am investigating that....
    Please keep us updated. this thread is sooo interesting!
    Last edited by goodygoodygracie; 11-21-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: put my comment in the wrong place

  2. #752
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding Cindi View Post
    Have been following this for a couple months...I am a realtor....I found and spoke to Rudy, the owner. He is 83 and sick...
    has no plans for the home when he passes. I have suggested that he donate it to a charity. I was there with two psychics...we had a k2 meter and were able to pick up intelligent responses to our questions. I plan to keep poking around and investigating.

    I wonder if whatever energy that is in this house predates the Perelsons? I am investigating that....
    Thanks for the info Cindi.....I'm surprised he hasn't made any arrangements concerning this home since he is 83 and ill. Then again maybe he has and don't want to leak any info since this house has such a reputation. Can you tell us how or who got the psychics involved ?

  3. #753
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3
    I am working on a project that I cannot yet reveal (I will let you know the moment I can!) and this home caught my attention. My team brought the psychics to the home - and although Rudy would not give us permission to enter, we were able to get intelligent responses with our K2 meter in the back of the home. I went back last week to gather some additional information and to try to connect again with the entities that are there. I had no response to my questions - and before I left, I went up and knocked on the door. There was no response, but as I turned and walked way, I clearly heard someone or something moving near the door and I felt that I was being watched.

    This may just be coincidence, but both times I was at the home, within 10 minutes there were orange helicopters flying overhead. That started me thinking "is there more to this story that we are missing?" I did research the land prior to the building and could find nothing unusual. No indian burial grounds, abandoned cemetaries, government usage, etc.

    I keep getting drawn back to the young man that died in the home prior from an illness. Is there something there? Also...in looks like the Mr. Enriques, who bought the home at auction after the murder/suicide, may have been president of the homeowner association. Rudy is his son, and I am curious if there is another individual already in place to carry the home after Rudy's death.

    I've also found a connection between Rudy and a gentleman with the first name of Joel that is the age Joel Perelson would be today. Different last name. Is it possible that the remaining family approached the president of the HOA with instructions to buy the home, and that the relationhip continues after all of these years? I am exploring and trying to get time with Rudy for more information.

    I will keep you posted on my findings.

  4. #754
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    http://atlasobscura.com/place/los-feliz-murder-mansion

    Interesting quote in the comments section from an anonymous poster who talked to the people living next door.

    "I asked if their home was where the girl ran to after being beaten by the father. She said that they had purchased the home from a woman that lived there in 1959 and in the process, the entire story had been told to them.

    She said that the previous owner was the one that had taken in the young girl on that night. We were told that it isn't true that the house was never occupied after December 6, 1959. Apparently a family did live in the house for a few months just prior to Christmas 1960. She explained that the Perelson's were Jewish and did not celebrate Christmas. According to her, the Christmas Tree and gifts were from the subsequent occupants I was about to ask why that family has left in such a hurry that they didn't take the gifts with them when she became panicky. "I have two young boys and I hope they never have to know we live across from 'the death house'. She seemed very distraught and left."
    Aw, bummer. That kind of ruins the appeal. It was more intriguing when we thought it was the Perelson's things still left in the home. BUT, it'll take me forever to find it but I remember someone on here saying they actually went into the murder house and saw blood stains! If that's true, then surely no one lived there with those blood stains. And I wonder who's things are in the house? Do you suppose it's the current owner's stash and it's just consequently from the 50's era?
    There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year. ~Author Unknown

  5. #755
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3
    I don't think the contents in the home belong to the current owner. In the not so recent past, he lived with a friend and they owned a total of three homes together: Hawaii, Arizona, and LA. His friend has recently passed and he is working on selling the two out of state homes. He lives in the LA home, which is in easy driving distance of his Los Feliz home. I recently learned about the renter and was further intrigued. I cannot find any source to verify or identify the tenant. If the contents belong to the tenant, the tenant obviously left in a hurry.

  6. #756
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding Cindi View Post
    I am working on a project that I cannot yet reveal (I will let you know the moment I can!) and this home caught my attention. My team brought the psychics to the home - and although Rudy would not give us permission to enter, we were able to get intelligent responses with our K2 meter in the back of the home. I went back last week to gather some additional information and to try to connect again with the entities that are there. I had no response to my questions - and before I left, I went up and knocked on the door. There was no response, but as I turned and walked way, I clearly heard someone or something moving near the door and I felt that I was being watched.

    This may just be coincidence, but both times I was at the home, within 10 minutes there were orange helicopters flying overhead. That started me thinking "is there more to this story that we are missing?" I did research the land prior to the building and could find nothing unusual. No indian burial grounds, abandoned cemetaries, government usage, etc.

    I keep getting drawn back to the young man that died in the home prior from an illness. Is there something there? Also...in looks like the Mr. Enriques, who bought the home at auction after the murder/suicide, may have been president of the homeowner association. Rudy is his son, and I am curious if there is another individual already in place to carry the home after Rudy's death.

    I've also found a connection between Rudy and a gentleman with the first name of Joel that is the age Joel Perelson would be today. Different last name. Is it possible that the remaining family approached the president of the HOA with instructions to buy the home, and that the relationhip continues after all of these years? I am exploring and trying to get time with Rudy for more information.

    I will keep you posted on my findings.
    Thanks "Cindy" will be looking forward to your future posts....good luck!

  7. #757
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7
    Hey! So i've been watching this show American Horror Story recently.. And I was curious if there was any Los Angeles quote on quote "murder house" like on the show, and stumbled across this story. Does anyone else think that the tv show house might be based off of this one? As on the TV show (which takes place in a haunted 1925 mansion in los angeles, though the real house the film at is a 1908) the homes original owner was a Doctor, who's wife kills him in a Murder Suicide because their baby son had been kidnaped and murdered.

  8. #758
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by CherubRock View Post
    Hey! So i've been watching this show American Horror Story recently.. And I was curious if there was any Los Angeles quote on quote "murder house" like on the show, and stumbled across this story. Does anyone else think that the tv show house might be based off of this one? As on the TV show (which takes place in a haunted 1925 mansion in los angeles, though the real house the film at is a 1908) the homes original owner was a Doctor, who's wife kills him in a Murder Suicide because their baby son had been kidnaped and murdered.
    Yes, I've been watching this too, and often thought is this even slightly based on something. Love both the house in the show and the Perelson mansion. There must be a few murder mansions in LA, unfortunately many have been replaced (Tate murders).

  9. #759
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1
    This is one of the most interesting stories I have ever come across. I read the thread from start to finish, and I am blown away by the known & unknowns of the house. I WISH I lived on the west coast just to visit and take pictures! It would be well worth the trip. Thank you to all of you who have been researching & digging in the name of finding answers. You have revealed quite an interesting story.

  10. #760
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,385
    Love love love it--- keep the updates coming-- cannot wait to see and hear more about it

  11. #761
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    I truly wonder if this mystery of why this house has been left to sit in decay will ever be solved. Much information has been dug up on the subject, but just when it seems like there might be an answer to this riddle, yet more questions arise. The suicide and murder of the couple who resided there which created this mystery will always be something I think about in this case.
    It's All Gravy Baby

  12. #762
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1

    Long time reader, first time poster

    As half of you have already said, I finally finished reading the entire thread. Whew. 16 pages!

    I live in Los Feliz and have been fascinated by this house since I read the article in the LA Times. My dad, who also grew up in the area, never heard of this until the article. There are plenty of interesting places here. The La Bianca house is the go-to scary house here. I guess since there are pictures of the crime scene, it makes it easier to picture what happened. Waverly Drive is a much easier street to do a drive by than Glendower Place.

    A few thoughts and clarifications from reading this:
    1. The house and the property would be worth way more than what Zillow zestimates. It is a fabulous lot, a character house, a very prime street and location. I was a realtor here - this house would be snatched up so quickly.
    2. I'm intrigued by the Enriquez family. It's been stated that they lived in Lincoln Heights. That strikes me as strange. Lincoln Heights, though an area with beautiful old homes, is a lower middle class area. Maybe they got the house for a deal, but it just makes no sense whatsoever that someone from Lincoln Heights would buy a mansion in Los Feliz. And not move in! I wonder if they worked for the Perelsons - either in the house or the medical office. To restate what many have said before - there must be a connection!
    3. Mr. Enriquez has been said to be the president of the HOA. Well, there is no HOA in that area. Secondly, if he lived in Lincoln Heights, how could he be president of an HOA of another neighborhood?
    4. For those of you not familiar with Los Angeles, Mount Washington is very close to Los Feliz. If Rudy is living in Mt. Washington, it is a 10-15 minute drive to get to the Glendower house.
    5. I'm sure there are gardeners who put the trash out every week. I drove by (the back way) and saw the cans out. Does anyone want to interview them? Most gardeners come on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Trash day is Thursday. I'm sure they've got some dirt on the house or on Rudy.
    6. Another interesting house around here is a Lloyd Wright house (the Sowden House and Lloyd is Frank's son) in which the Black Dahlia was allegedly killed. There are plenty of theories about that murder and more than one person has thought that it was his or her father. It's an interesting theory by Steve Hodel in his book The Black Dahlia Avenger.

    One day, I'd love to do more serious research on this, but not now. And don't even suggest that I go take pictures. I am 8 months pregnant and frankly, I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

    If I were to do research, I would look into property records of the Enriquezes. Where did they live at the time? Also, is Rudy their only child? Did anyone contact the LA Times reporter who interviewed him? He seemed so cavalier about the whole thing. Or, someone should contact the city councilman Tom LaBonge. He knows everything.

    Happy hunting, people.

  13. #763
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by voyeur View Post
    As half of you have already said, I finally finished reading the entire thread. Whew. 16 pages!

    I live in Los Feliz and have been fascinated by this house since I read the article in the LA Times. My dad, who also grew up in the area, never heard of this until the article. There are plenty of interesting places here. The La Bianca house is the go-to scary house here. I guess since there are pictures of the crime scene, it makes it easier to picture what happened. Waverly Drive is a much easier street to do a drive by than Glendower Place.

    A few thoughts and clarifications from reading this:
    1. The house and the property would be worth way more than what Zillow zestimates. It is a fabulous lot, a character house, a very prime street and location. I was a realtor here - this house would be snatched up so quickly.
    2. I'm intrigued by the Enriquez family. It's been stated that they lived in Lincoln Heights. That strikes me as strange. Lincoln Heights, though an area with beautiful old homes, is a lower middle class area. Maybe they got the house for a deal, but it just makes no sense whatsoever that someone from Lincoln Heights would buy a mansion in Los Feliz. And not move in! I wonder if they worked for the Perelsons - either in the house or the medical office. To restate what many have said before - there must be a connection!
    3. Mr. Enriquez has been said to be the president of the HOA. Well, there is no HOA in that area. Secondly, if he lived in Lincoln Heights, how could he be president of an HOA of another neighborhood?
    4. For those of you not familiar with Los Angeles, Mount Washington is very close to Los Feliz. If Rudy is living in Mt. Washington, it is a 10-15 minute drive to get to the Glendower house.
    5. I'm sure there are gardeners who put the trash out every week. I drove by (the back way) and saw the cans out. Does anyone want to interview them? Most gardeners come on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Trash day is Thursday. I'm sure they've got some dirt on the house or on Rudy.
    6. Another interesting house around here is a Lloyd Wright house (the Sowden House and Lloyd is Frank's son) in which the Black Dahlia was allegedly killed. There are plenty of theories about that murder and more than one person has thought that it was his or her father. It's an interesting theory by Steve Hodel in his book The Black Dahlia Avenger.

    One day, I'd love to do more serious research on this, but not now. And don't even suggest that I go take pictures. I am 8 months pregnant and frankly, I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

    If I were to do research, I would look into property records of the Enriquezes. Where did they live at the time? Also, is Rudy their only child? Did anyone contact the LA Times reporter who interviewed him? He seemed so cavalier about the whole thing. Or, someone should contact the city councilman Tom LaBonge. He knows everything.

    Happy hunting, people.
    Voyeur~Welcome to this thread,and thanks for sharing the interesting info. Hope to hear back from you in the future. Best wishes to you and baby.

  14. #764
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    3

    What you think?

    Ok I have been reading everything for 3 hours and here is my take on the whole tamale.

    Judy was step daughter that Dad was molesting, Judy tells mom, mom confronts Dad and threatens police.
    Dad nuts up kills mom with hammer and then goes after Judy ONLY. Explains why the other kids not injured.

    Enriquez family are close and trusted family friends sympathetic to situation and are assigned paid caretakers of property.
    Explains why nothing being done with house.

    Real owners are the children who are too mentally scarred to deal with house and contents and do not even want to talk or think about anything even associated with house or there lives before 1960.

    So traumatic and painful its blacked out of memory.

  15. #765
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    3
    Ok I have been reading everything for 3 hours and here is my take on the whole tamale.<br>
    <br>
    Judy was step daughter that Dad was molesting, Judy tells mom, mom confronts Dad and threatens police.<br>
    Dad nuts up kills mom with hammer and then goes after Judy ONLY. Explains why the other kids not injured.<br>
    <br>
    Enriquez family are close and trusted family friends sympathetic to situation and are assigned paid caretakers of property.<br> Explains why nothing being done with house.<br>
    <br>
    Real owners are the children who are too mentally scarred to deal with house and contents and do not even want to talk or think about anything even associated with house or there lives before 1960.<br>
    <br>
    So traumatic and painful its blacked out of memory.

  16. #766
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,941
    Have we ever cleared up why there were Christmas tree/presents when the Perelson were apparently Jewish and a neighbor saying there was another family that lived there after the Perelson's but left mysteriously after a couple months?

  17. #767
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,109
    There are many Jewish people that have Xmas trees and celebrate Xmas in a way only so their children dont feel out of place with their friends. No mystery there. My cousin married a wonderful Jewish lady and they celebrated Easter and Xmas and holidays her way and his. They always had Xmas trees and she went to Mass with him and the kids on Holy days and he went with her to hers. The girl was raised Jewish and the boy Catholic. I dates a Jewish boy for a whle and his parents also had a tree and gifts but it didnt work out because his mother kept calling me a "mackeral snapper" or a tuna smacker lol She wanted her baby to marry a nice Jewish girl , and i am glad he did because he came out of the closet 10 years later and if I had married him i probably would have hurt him lol

  18. #768
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Any new results or info on this subject yet.....
    It's All Gravy Baby

  19. #769
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    It is in the city of Los Angeles proper and I have seen it. Can't tell you too much more than that. I too typed on a manual typewriter!! The address is 2480 Glendower, I believe.

  20. #770
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751


    Well one thing good.....is that Judith Hendler when on to make a good life for herself, even though she suffered the brutality of that night. I still wonder what became of the other two children?
    It's All Gravy Baby

  21. #771
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post


    Well one thing good.....is that Judith Hendler when on to make a good life for herself, even though she suffered the brutality of that night. I still wonder what became of the other two children?
    WOW eca fantastic work u sure do know ur stuff we need a damned like button
    Last edited by dstrattenfan; 02-18-2012 at 08:14 AM.

  22. #772
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Why Thank you Dstrattenfan....I most appreciate that
    It's All Gravy Baby

  23. #773
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Nice job, eca! Despite being the one who started this thread, I would urge anyone planning to approach Judith Hendler not to do it. I agree that she has made a good life for herself. Furthermore, looking at her web and Facebook pages, I get the distinct idea that the is a very sweet, generous person who originally had no idea that her line of jewlery would take off the way it did. Yes, I know it's not for everyone, but no single designer can come up with a style that EVERYONE would like. As much as I'd like to hear the details of that awful night from someone who was there, my feeling is to let the woman have her peace and quiet unless she VOLUNTEERS to tell the story.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  24. #774
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    Nice job, eca! Despite being the one who started this thread, I would urge anyone planning to approach Judith Hendler not to do it. I agree that she has made a good life for herself. Furthermore, looking at her web and Facebook pages, I get the distinct idea that the is a very sweet, generous person who originally had no idea that her line of jewlery would take off the way it did. Yes, I know it's not for everyone, but no single designer can come up with a style that EVERYONE would like. As much as I'd like to hear the details of that awful night from someone who was there, my feeling is to let the woman have her peace and quiet unless she VOLUNTEERS to tell the story.
    With all due respect rogerv my intentions were never to contact her, furthermore she is a public figure due to her Jewelry line...I simply stated that I was happy to see that she had not allowed this tragedy to ruin her life...These screen caps I made were POSTERITY PURPOSES ONLY most here who have taken great interest in the Perelson murder/suicide heard the rumor that one Judith Handler a jeweler from LA could possibly be Dr. Perelsons eldest daughter Judith Perelson...I still cant say 100% that she is Judith Pelerson, personally I do believe that she is I wanted others opinions and to just share new info....Caring is sharing my friend
    It's All Gravy Baby

  25. #775
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post


    Well one thing good.....is that Judith Hendler when on to make a good life for herself, even though she suffered the brutality of that night. I still wonder what became of the other two children?


    The first pic, and the the one of Judith Hendler are the same person in my opinion. Same mouth, chin, lips. Great find. And ya, I would never contact this person. But it is GREAT to know she went on with her life and made something of herself. She didnt let this take her down, or ruin her life. Its hard to go on normally after such a tragic event. She is a strong woman.

  26. #776
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    With all due respect rogerv my intentions were never to contact her, furthermore she is a public figure due to her Jewelry line...I simply stated that I was happy to see that she had not allowed this tragedy to ruin her life...These screen caps I made were POSTERITY PURPOSES ONLY most here who have taken great interest in the Perelson murder/suicide heard the rumor that one Judith Handler a jeweler from LA could possibly be Dr. Perelsons eldest daughter Judith Perelson...I still cant say 100% that she is Judith Pelerson, personally I do believe that she is I wanted others opinions and to just share new info....Caring is sharing my friend
    eca, I'm truly sorry that I made it sound as if my remarks were directed at you. My intent was to try to speak to readers in general. I'm truly appreciative of your work, and agree that all three pictures are most likely her. For me, it's the noses that are the giveaway. And again, I'm sorry if I made it sound like I thought you were trying to contact her. I also am very glad that she was able to build a happy and productive life for herself.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  27. #777
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here - I just joined and am greatly interested in this story. I just came from LA one week ago and during the trip made the trek to the Perelson house. I took some pictures but they are nothing different from the others on the thread - outside view, and some through the dirty windows. I actually went twice - once at night, then the next day in the sunshine. I tell you, the house creeped me out totally. I had the distinct feeling that there is something there that borders the paranormal. The night visit was truly spooky - we drove up around the bend that leads to the house and somehow despite the darkness were able to clearly see the outline (I guess from slight backlight from above), and the windows were pitch dark and scary. I could not venture out of the car - it felt like "bad vibes" or whatever. The next day's visit I was able to get out but could not escape the feeling of dread - like a heavy fear or deep sadness prevailed around the property. I was too scared to try to get in the house although I would have loved to see the inside. Though no one bothered me and no one was around, I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible! And I am normally not spooked and have great interest in exploring old abandoned buildings. The place just gave me goose bumps and almost a physical feeling of foreboding, not to bother the house or its contents. i look forward to anyone with more information about this situation! Thanks for letting me post. Susan
    'Things are not always what they appear to be'

  28. #778
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,385
    Damnnnnnnnnn nice work

  29. #779
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    637
    Almost afraid to post here in case you think I have some news ! I haven't sorry. I stumbled across this thread by chance after Rosebud posted something about it on the Death Hags Dream House thread.I have been riveted to the whole story and have sat and read every single post.Phew ! Us death hags make great sleuths I loved it when everyone was desperately urging each other on to go get some pix .What a keen lot we are .I'm proud to be a death hag LOL.
    Arty.

  30. #780
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    23

    Possible Connection b/t Enriquez & Perelson

    Sorry this is so long-winded...it's been a while since I've posted-
    I am a member of Ancestry.com...the small amount of biographical info that has already been posted about the Perelson's is found on Ancestry.com... I looked up the Enriquez family because the connection between both families has long been a topic of my curiousity...not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the only (possible) concrete link that I came across between the 2 families is that both Julian Enriquez & Harold Perelson were both enlisted in the Army around the same time.
    This could explain their connection & help explain why Rudy is not the least bit interested in the house...he obviously, does not have much of a personal connection. Idk, when I start analyzing the possible situations...the ideas are endless...you know, Perelson or the family could have facilitated the Enriquez's purchase (if they were in fact friends or acquaintances with them) or they could have really just bought it at auction. I have come to find out that the fact that the Perelson's estate went to probate court is not really anything significant...happens all the time unless you have very specific instructions laid out in a will.
    Judith Hendler is obviously Judye...but I agree, she should not be contacted (or should not be contacted in an insensitive or unprofessional manner) Not saying that anyone would do that, but we can't just call her up or Facebook her looking for answers...it seems apparent that she does not wish to be connected to the event publicly...although, I've probably said this before...if she did tell her sorry OR even if Rudy would tell his story as the caretaker of the house...it would make one hell of a story...Maybe someone should look into that approach to "solving the mystery"
    Last edited by ames; 03-12-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: error

  31. #781
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ethernet--aka seattle based
    Posts
    2,792

    House untouched since 1959 Murder -heckuva story

    Inside a mansion, it’s as if time stopped in 1959 when a doctor killed his wife and then himself. Gifts still sit, unopened. Why?

    http://allanellenberger.com/book-flm...urder-mystery/
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

  32. #782
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Big D, Texas
    Posts
    1,470

  33. #783
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PORTLANDIA (really)
    Posts
    506
    eca - GREAT pics!!

    Yes, Judye=Judith.

    Although none of us will ever contact her regarding her experience that night - because she is a "public" figure, I have to assume she has googled herself and must know there is interest in the tragedy of that night. If not her, her siblings must know. I know that I was adopted and had tons of questions about long lost relatives, etc. I am sure those kids would want to do some sleuthing of their own someday.

    I truly would not be surprised if they had come across this thread and lurk occasionally...
    Read my blog. I'm kinda funny. thejudgmentalblogger

  34. #784
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Until the 1970's, Americans frequently had some very unhealthy ways of dealing with grief. It usually took the form of "putting a lid on it." In other words, you didn't talk about a death, and many times there wasn't even a picture of the loved one in the house after his/her death. And when deaths occurred like this case involving murder and suicide, you REALLY clammed up about it. It's my understanding that the children in this case were whisked away very quickly, and relatives were probably very diligent in keeping newspaper and broadcast stories from reaching them.

    I would have had and Aunt Ruth if she had not died when she was a toddler. For years I thought some childhood disease of the early 1920's got her, but finally I learned third-hand that she drowned. Before he died, my uncle said that his parents would NEVER talk about it, and I don't think he even ever saw a picture of her.

    What I'm leading into with this story is that by the 1970's attitudes were starting to change. It was realized that it was far more healthy to discuss the death and memories of a loved one instead of trying to pretend that it just never happened. Frequently children and grandchildren are curious about tragedies of this type, and sometimes start looking for information.

    So I guess what I'm saying is that there is a good possibility that someone connected with the Perelson family has stumbled across this thread. However, if they have, they aren't talking. I actually think a fascinating book could be written about this case, but it would require cooperation from surviving family members.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  35. #785
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    I know what you mean Roger. My mom had a cousin die at the age of 12 from a brain tumour. Her own siblings, who were born later, didn't even know she had existed until they stumbled across a picture in a box in their own teens.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  36. #786
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle of the road
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    What I'm leading into with this story is that by the 1970's attitudes were starting to change. It was realized that it was far more healthy to discuss the death and memories of a loved one instead of trying to pretend that it just never happened.
    You run into this a lot in genealogy. A child would die at two or three, and not only would it be wiped from existence, the parents often reused the same name on the next kid.

    I asked a friend who lives in L.A. about the house, he's never seen it and has no desire too, but a friend told him several windows are boarded up. I haven't seen any pictures of boarded up windows, so the friend might be full of it.
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 03-30-2012 at 03:22 PM.

  37. #787
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    Wow-almost 2 am before I finally reach the end of this thread. Like many others I joined this site today after stumbling across this compelling thread. One thing I am curious about, and it seems no one has mentioned-is the wording in the daughters letter to the aunt. Specifically:

    In Judye Perelson’s sports car, police found a note written to an aunt that told of the family being “on the merry-go-round again, same problems, same worries, only tenfold. My parents, so to speak, are in a bind financially.” The teenager spoke of getting a job to help the family out.

    The way that sentence is formed appears as though "so to speak" is qualifying "My parents." Which would indicate that perhaps they are not her parents, or at least not both of them anyway. I'm kind of surprised no one else has been struck by the oddity of that sentence.

    Just throwing my 2 cents into the mix.....

  38. #788
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a no fun zone
    Posts
    384
    Interesting point, kindageeky.
    I am curious to see if the 1940 Census info (which are to be released on April 2, 2012) will be helpful to those of us interested in this case.
    Heck, I'm even looking forward to seeing what else I can find out about certain relatives when I plug their names into the search function on that website.
    Should be fun!

    link to Census page:
    http://1940census.archives.gov/



  39. #789
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,184
    Maybe it was just mixed-up phrases there. "So to speak" probably ought to have been after the "financial bind" there. I guess Judye wrote that note in a hurry if it was in her car. (Her SPORTS CAR! When most American teens of either gender in those days counted themselves lucky if they could afford a second or third hand rusty fixer-upper.)

  40. #790
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by kindageeky View Post
    Wow-almost 2 am before I finally reach the end of this thread. Like many others I joined this site today after stumbling across this compelling thread. One thing I am curious about, and it seems no one has mentioned-is the wording in the daughters letter to the aunt. Specifically:

    In Judye Perelson’s sports car, police found a note written to an aunt that told of the family being “on the merry-go-round again, same problems, same worries, only tenfold. My parents, so to speak, are in a bind financially.” The teenager spoke of getting a job to help the family out.

    The way that sentence is formed appears as though "so to speak" is qualifying "My parents." Which would indicate that perhaps they are not her parents, or at least not both of them anyway. I'm kind of surprised no one else has been struck by the oddity of that sentence.

    Just throwing my 2 cents into the mix.....


    I always interpreted the phrase that "the family was on the merry-go-round again" as meaning that there were deep problem in the family, possibly because the doctor had been committed to a mental institution, and the fallout from that along with lack of income from his practice.

    The "so to speak" seems to me like a euphemism for "we're flat broke, and may even lose our home soon."
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  41. #791
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Been doing a little bit more in depth research on this subject, and something I always wondered about is why that there was only a day's reporting on this incident. I went to Newspaper Archives to find out more, and after the initial reporting of the murder and suicide, there was not even a obituary of these people. I know that the archives are limited, but I find it strange that a murder like this didn't even at least take the back pages in latter days. It was 1959 and yes I know that the area is big, but I seen other murders and such during that era that took more press time than the Perlson murder/suicide. Just wondering what maybe the others might think about this.
    It's All Gravy Baby

  42. #792
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Been doing a little bit more in depth research on this subject, and something I always wondered about is why that there was only a day's reporting on this incident. I went to Newspaper Archives to find out more, and after the initial reporting of the murder and suicide, there was not even a obituary of these people. I know that the archives are limited, but I find it strange that a murder like this didn't even at least take the back pages in latter days. It was 1959 and yes I know that the area is big, but I seen other murders and such during that era that took more press time than the Perlson murder/suicide. Just wondering what maybe the others might think about this.
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, If I remember while reading this whole thread I believe the police considered it a cut and dried case from the beginning and didn't investigate any further.

  43. #793
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdiva View Post
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, If I remember while reading this whole thread I believe the police considered it a cut and dried case from the beginning and didn't investigate any further.
    I kinda thought the same thing myself too, but i just kind of found it odd that not even an obituary could be found after the Dec. 7 news articles. The Rawlings incident got a lot more press time (it was very similar to the Perelson's) It is just one of those small things that I think about the case.
    It's All Gravy Baby

  44. #794
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,109
    Well they had the daughter who told them her dad tried to kill her with that hammer and the 2 younger kids that said they ehard the screams and daddy told them they were dreaming..no need to go further , Dad killed himself at the scene so they were not going to prosecute him. I kind of doubt the girl killed them both and then beat heself in the head with a hammer which was in daddys hand when they found him,,yeah very cut and dried..those por kids

  45. #795
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Well they had the daughter who told them her dad tried to kill her with that hammer and the 2 younger kids that said they ehard the screams and daddy told them they were dreaming..no need to go further , Dad killed himself at the scene so they were not going to prosecute him. I kind of doubt the girl killed them both and then beat heself in the head with a hammer which was in daddys hand when they found him,,yeah very cut and dried..those por kids
    Personally I feel that no one can argue that hp wasn't the killer, or that anyone else was involved I mean that is just asinine to think otherwise....as u said 3 ppl witnessed it all including the intended murder victim along with 2 small children so u cant really dispute that...

    However what fascinates me are the 2 other incidents w/ many similarities to the Perlson murder/suicide that took place in such a short span of time in and around the same area..... it is certainly out of the norm or so it would seem...


    Apophenia is the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. maybe because we are all part of mankind, any person's death is a loss to all of us. We as humans strive to understand the who, what, when, were, how and why its a formula for getting the complete story on a subject.. questions should have factual answers, none of these questions can be answered with a simple "yes" or "no"...

    It's All Gravy Baby

  46. #796
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    642
    http://tinypic.com/r/10dfo12/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    I did take these with my cell phone so the lens may have been dirty. Or, my car window had a spot on it.



    Definitely spooky.. it sits up in the hills on this little cul-de-sac. Very quiet neighborhood. This day in LA was especially gloomy also. I can't imagine how creepy it's going to be to go at night. I don't usually fright easily but I had a weird feeling being up there and honestly couldn't drive away fast enough.
    WHOA! Two years later I come back here out of curiosity for new info and I see this photo I took again. What I thought was a spot of water on my car window looks either like an orb or SOMETHING STANDING IN THE WINDOW OF THE HOUSE. I never noticed it until now.
    Last edited by Lily_Aleister; 06-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.

  47. #797
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by imadeathhag View Post
    The ghoshunter in me says: In this pic in one of the tall windows there's something strange there. It may be glare but it almost looks like an apparition. It's probably my imagination. I took a couple of benadryl earlier LOL.

    THIS PHOTO! How did I not see the apparition immediately after I took this or even when I first posted it two years ago?! Something urged me to come back on here and look at it. Now I see it.

  48. #798
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    THIS PHOTO! How did I not see the apparition immediately after I took this or even when I first posted it two years ago?! Something urged me to come back on here and look at it. Now I see it.
    lookit this just saw it yesterday it may not be a spirit but still pretty badass
    4952614826_d1b132f3b6_b2.jpg
    It's All Gravy Baby

  49. #799
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    lookit this just saw it yesterday it may not be a spirit but still pretty badass
    4952614826_d1b132f3b6_b2.jpg
    What is that? Looks like something hanging in the window. Crap, I was going to swing by on my way home from work today (since I work in that area) to take more photos. I'm off tomorrow so I'll post them if I do.

  50. #800
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    I'm coming in a little late here, but remember they had forensics even in the 1950's to back up what the oldest daughter said. There would have been blood splashes on Dr. P's hand, arm, and clothing, as well as his fingerprints on the hammer.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •