Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 1085

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ky
    Posts
    2,009
    yay Sweetie! I dont know how to do that but would love to see it!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,718
    quick someone help Sweetie! I want to see!!


  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I really, really get the impression that the people that bought the property are somehow very intimately acquainted with the family that wa murdered. At first I thought it was one of the children that left it like this. But who else except someone very close would buy such a prime piece of real estate and leave it as is for so much time ??? Makes no sense
    Thats..what..is..odd..to..me.
    Id..like..to..know..more..about
    that..Enriquez..couple..that
    bought..it..and..now..their..son.
    I..dont..know..how..well..to..do
    this..couple..was..that..the
    sale..of..the..property
    was..meaningless.

    And..the..Enrique..son
    a..music..store..manager
    couldnt..he..use..the..money?

    Id..*Nancy..Drew*..over..there
    Novstorm.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    899
    I would love to go through that house. I am going crazy imagining what is in those presents! You could make a killing on eBay, if you wanted to.

    I think they have left it alone because it HAS been left alone, if that makes sense. You think because something has been there so long, it might as well be left longer.

    I have two rooms in my basement that have been closed off (probably in the 30s/40s) and I have never even peeked in them. I have severe basement fear, though, and I have only been in our basement maybe 6 times in 16 years. The laundry room is down there, so thank goodness my husband does the wash!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    I would love to go through that house. I am going crazy imagining what is in those presents! You could make a killing on eBay, if you wanted to.

    I think they have left it alone because it HAS been left alone, if that makes sense. You think because something has been there so long, it might as well be left longer.

    I have two rooms in my basement that have been closed off (probably in the 30s/40s) and I have never even peeked in them. I have severe basement fear, though, and I have only been in our basement maybe 6 times in 16 years. The laundry room is down there, so thank goodness my husband does the wash!

    Wow! You may have an unclaimed fortune in those two rooms! lol

    I come up there and look in them with you!


  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,041
    What, no pictures yet?? Someone get to that house now.


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,001
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbiecatz View Post
    What, no pictures yet?? Someone get to that house now.

    I KNOW.....dammit

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    Sweetie,

    On the quick reply box, click the go advanced button to change the size of the fonts. See if that helps.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    386
    Sorry, I have tried everything that I know, which isn't much since I am not computer savvy. I copied and pasted into a word document, into several pages actually but it still tells me its too big. Im sure there is an easy way to overcome this but I have no idea what it is.

    If anyone is interested in the article just pm me with your address and I will send it to you. Sorry guys! I tried.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    386
    I am planning on taking a trip down there within the next 2 weeks. I grew up on the border of Los Feliz and cant believe I never knew about this place. I will post pics from the trip unless someone else makes it down there first.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    torrance, ca
    Posts
    946
    its not a question in my mind that scott knows exactly where that is.

    i would LOVE to go up there sometime and snoop around. i think though, for a FACT, that the neighbors would shoo anybody away since its such a close house to house area.
    maybe i will convincen my boyfriend (wouldnt take much) to go up there soon and snap some photos.
    - chelle


    ♥ etsy shop: Old Lady Rose

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    I wonder if Scott can convince the current owner for a video tour of the house heck, he was able to get the keys to the Wonderland murders apartment. Scott help!

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,666
    This is a fantastic post!

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,677
    This is so interesting. I can't wait to see more pictures.
    “What will I be doing in twenty years' time?
    I'll be dead, darling!
    Are you crazy?”

    -Freddie Mercury

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    398
    This is the coolest thread...what an amazing story! Can't wait to the some more pics. I bet the house is completely haunted and that's why no one could ever live there...sorry too much Chill channel today.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    2,783
    What a cool thread...thanks for posting it. And thanks to everyone who has added pics and info.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Sweetie very kindly sent me the pdf file with the original newspaper story. It in fact doesn't tell us much, if anything, that we don't know already. There are (very grainy) pictures of police entering the house, a group portrait of the Perelson family, and a high school graduation portrait of the eldest daughter who ran to a neighbor's house for help.

    It mentions there was evidence the family had financial difficulties and the usual comments from family and friends who were baffled that the doctor would do such a thing.

    One line, "Intimates at the clinic were unaware that he (the doctor) was ill, as reported" does jump out. WHERE was this reported, and just WHAT was said? Is this what gave rise to the rumor that the doctor was mentally ill? As I've said before, at that time and place, having a family member in a mental institution was as bad if not worse than having a family member in prison.

    It also gives a value of $60,000 for the house, which seems even for the times, on the low side -- my parents built a 2,000 square-foot ranch house in a middle-of-nowhere small town for $19,000 in 1959/60. This might partially be explained by the fact that a house built in the Twenties would have been considered very old-fashioned and out of date by the late 1950's. At that time, nobody except eccentrics restored houses. UPDATE and MODERNIZE were the words of the moment -- throw out all your beautiful period furniture and replace it with Danish Modern, even though you're putting it in a period Spanish Colonial house.

    Today ,when we watch the wonderful campy movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, we see a beautiful old period house. However, at the time the movie was made, it was considered to be way out of style, and just added to the generally creepy nature of the film. However, I digress.

    Thank you everyone who has weighed in on this thread... we're all waiting for the latest input!
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-08-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: to fix a spelling error
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,718
    Roger, can you post the pic of the family that is in the article?


  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    386
    i hope this came out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    386
    The quality is not great but this is what the archive gave me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Okay also anyonhe remeber that cheesy movie bodydouble the scene where the guy is following the girl around thats the driveway she comes outta of!!! Crazy! And also Im

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Ooops friggin hooked...I will brave the spiders and Im terrified of spiders to snoop around that place....wow this is one of the best threads ever!!! What I would give to look around.....aww man get some more pics someone...what happened to the daughter??

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    He had a kind of crazy look about him .....

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Police found Perelson lying dead on the floor next to his wife's blood-soaked bed. He was still clutching the hammer. On a nightstand next to his bed, investigators found an open copy of Dante's "Divine Comedy," which was opened to Canto 1.

    "Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, for the straightforward pathway had been lost . . . ," read the passage.



    hmmmm ..pretty heavy reading...I wonder what the hell this guy did it for..why beat her with a hammer....my God....Also the pic of the couch sitting there is freaky cause I can see her picki8ng it out......creepy man...I love it almost as much as the russian skiers....

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines Iowa
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post

    It also gives a value of $60,000 for the house, which seems even for the times, on the low side -- my parents built a 2,000 square-foot ranch house in a middle-of-nowhere small town for $19,000 in 1959/60. This might partially be explained by the fact that a house built in the Twenties would have been considered very old-fashioned and out of date by the late 1950's. At that time, nobody except eccentrics restored houses. UPDATE and MODERNIZE were the words of the moment -- throw out all your beautiful period furniture and replace it with Danish Modern, even though you're putting it in a period Spanish Colonial house.
    Interesting that the assessment at the time valued the house at $60k!!! Wow...and now they are thinking it could go for millions if sold today.

    Thanks for the updates gang!!! I've been looking around on the web and come up with not very much too. This is such an interesting case...and the house is so interesting...I still wonder who owned the house prior to the Doctor and his wife. If they were major players in Hollywood...etc...
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,718
    I know here in Missouri you can find out who all has owned a home, how much their taxes are, when the bought it etc. on a government website.

    I wonder if there is anything like that for California....my hubby is good at finding this stuff out but he is currently hurling his brains out. He has the tummy virus going around. But maybe I might be able to find something....

    I'll look!


  27. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    I know here in Missouri you can find out who all has owned a home, how much their taxes are, when the bought it etc. on a government website.

    I wonder if there is anything like that for California....my hubby is good at finding this stuff out but he is currently hurling his brains out. He has the tummy virus going around. But maybe I might be able to find something....

    I'll look!

    Yes, you can find that information in all states. I just did a quick look to see if L.A. County has its records online, and I didn't get very far. Possibly someone with more experience in that type of search might do better.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,713
    Here is California....at least in my county all you have to do is go to the Recorders Office which is usually connected to the County Clerks Office. You will find all the information you need there.

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines Iowa
    Posts
    302
    well, I tried the LA county assessor's office...but it cost money to look things up!!!

    Here's the link:

    http://assessor.lacounty.gov/extrane...es/online.aspx


    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    omg I couldent get the damn house outta my mind all day! Its adeathga paradise...I wonder if there is still blood.....and whats in the gifts!!! Dude its killin me!!!! Someone get into that house!!!!!

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    647
    I want that house. I agree with the theory that the guy who owns it has close ties to the family. Or his is mentally ill. When I was 16 I skipped school and went home while my parents were at work and verrrrrry carefully opened all my Christmas presents under the tree - this was a good two weeks before Christmas - and rewrapped them 'cause I just couldn't stand the suspence any longer. And these presents have been standing around unopened for how long? I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    okay lets go....I will brave the spiders!!!!!!!

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    My friend and I are trying to set it up to go creepy crawling around the 1st weekend in March or the 2nd.. I wont break and enter but I will try to get some shots thru the windows and will take windex with me too..he better not back out on me either lol
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 02-12-2009 at 06:39 PM.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    8,711
    I would love love love to see some pics of the inside of this house

    ""It's a mop with a tongue! Can you imagine the dingleberries?" - Mammy


  35. #85
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,906
    Such an interesting thread. I can't imagine letting that house just rot. what a waste. If that house was built in grand style in the 20's chances are someone famous built it. That house may have tons more history behind it.

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Im wondering about the bedrooms....the murder rooms....the bathrooms...like is her makeup and cloths still just sitting there all moth bitten and moldy...the kids room...what about these kids they are never curiouse ? I mean what a weird way to keep a house like that! Just like a time capsule but what a weird time capsule!

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,417
    With all the drfting "hippie' squaters that were around LA in the 60s, surely SOMEBODY tried to stay in that abandoned house at some time....

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,701
    Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    With all the drfting "hippie' squaters that were around LA in the 60s, surely SOMEBODY tried to stay in that abandoned house at some time....
    They tried to stay, but a ghost brandishing a hammer chased them out. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All I know is I would go in a minute to explore that place, especially the Christmas presents. Spiders don't scare me, either.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    They tried to stay, but a ghost brandishing a hammer chased them out. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All I know is I would go in a minute to explore that place, especially the Christmas presents. Spiders don't scare me, either.

    Well, all you southern Cal hags, I want to know if any of you are chased out of the house by a hammer-wielding wraith who is screaming "Get outta my house ya damn hippie!!!"...

  40. #90
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,906
    Yes this seems to be the creepiest stories I've heard of in a long time.

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    I know! I can't stop thinking about it!

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines Iowa
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Im wondering about the bedrooms....the murder rooms....the bathrooms...like is her makeup and cloths still just sitting there all moth bitten and moldy...the kids room...what about these kids they are never curiouse ? I mean what a weird way to keep a house like that! Just like a time capsule but what a weird time capsule!
    Quote Originally Posted by imadeathhag
    I know! I can't stop thinking about it!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Lisa and Ima!!! I want that house too!!!! And normally, I wouldn't go for that style of house...but the history is fascinating!!! And it's next to a Frank Lloyd Wright house.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one Lisa and Ima!!! I want that house too!!!! And normally, I wouldn't go for that style of house...but the history is fascinating!!! And it's next to a Frank Lloyd Wright house.
    Alright you guys, I claimed it FIRST, so back off. I'm just waiting to win the lottery.

    The only situation I've ever encountered even remotely like this one was an estate sale (not in the house, though) of the personal and professional possessions of an eye doctor and his wife. They were both killed in a car crash in the late 1940's, and their daughter had EVERYTHING from their home put in storage for something like 40+ years.

    Believe it or not, there were dirty dishes... boxes of corn flakes and bags of potato chips from the 40's... clothing, furniture... medical equipment... EVERYTHING. I think I heard that proceeds from the sale didn't even cover the storage fees.

    However, to have an entire HOUSE in the same situation?? It's mind boggling.

    I wonder about the younger children... presumably they were raised by relatives in the East. Were they ever told the full story? Were they ever curious enough to come back to see the house?

    And what happened to the bodies? Presumably there had to be some kind of PM's done on them, so I'd guess that there's a coroner's report SOMEWHERE. Were they buried or cremated together, or did her family not want her remains resting anywhere near his?

    SO many questions without answers!
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    thats what Im wondering...like are they all buried together.....are the children aware ? How about the survivimg girl....I would love to hear her story...so I hear your dad went nuts.....okay people lets go look at that house!!!

  45. #95
    It's a beautiful house! I want to go explore it. I'd brave the spiders as well.

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    483
    Great story! Thanks for posting and thanks to all who have added to it. Here's the Zillow listing for the property

    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24...20809000_zpid/

    They show a current value of $2,833,500 with 5.050 sq ft, 4 bedrooms & 3 terlits, 12 total rooms. Of course it doesn't have many of the fancy upgrades the wealthy LA folks are accustomed to and they certainly couldn't live with only 3 terlits, but it still is a gorgeous home.

    Wouldn't it be incredibly expensive to fix up? Worth it, though.

    This would definitely be an interesting house to visit. One of the reasons I used to love going to estate sales was the occasional sale where the house looked as though you were in a time warp - 50's era furnishings, carpets, and other decor. Old basements with ancient kitchen appliances, games, records and doo-dads. This place must be full of stuff like that with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure.

    The story of the father as a doctor who got in over his head while living the high life isn't that unusual. I recall a doctor who moved into our area and built a huge mansion (had to be over 10,000 sq ft) with elevators, underground garage, etc. overlooking the lake. A couple of years later it suddenly looked abandoned and sure enough, the news was leaked out that he had lost some research grant funding, couldn't afford the house any longer and committed suicide in that lovely home. Same thing - there was very little mention of it in the news.

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines Iowa
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Great story! Thanks for posting and thanks to all who have added to it. Here's the Zillow listing for the property

    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24...20809000_zpid/

    They show a current value of $2,833,500 with 5.050 sq ft, 4 bedrooms & 3 terlits, 12 total rooms. Of course it doesn't have many of the fancy upgrades the wealthy LA folks are accustomed to and they certainly couldn't live with only 3 terlits, but it still is a gorgeous home.

    Wouldn't it be incredibly expensive to fix up? Worth it, though.

    This would definitely be an interesting house to visit. One of the reasons I used to love going to estate sales was the occasional sale where the house looked as though you were in a time warp - 50's era furnishings, carpets, and other decor. Old basements with ancient kitchen appliances, games, records and doo-dads. This place must be full of stuff like that with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure.

    The story of the father as a doctor who got in over his head while living the high life isn't that unusual. I recall a doctor who moved into our area and built a huge mansion (had to be over 10,000 sq ft) with elevators, underground garage, etc. overlooking the lake. A couple of years later it suddenly looked abandoned and sure enough, the news was leaked out that he had lost some research grant funding, couldn't afford the house any longer and committed suicide in that lovely home. Same thing - there was very little mention of it in the news.
    It's like a time capsule!!! I just can't get this house and the story out of my head!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV
    Alright you guys, I claimed it FIRST, so back off. I'm just waiting to win the lottery.
    Fair enough Roger...but I want to stay a week if I could!!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines Iowa
    Posts
    302

    I found this privious owner??!!

    http://www.lfia.com/RegPages/census/CenBody.shtml

    2475 Glendower Place (Rents for $250 per month):
    1930 census: 1) Fred Zelnick, renter and head of household; 44 year old white married male; married at age 35; born in Russia; parents born in Austria; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; a director in the cinema. 2) Alexandria Zelnick, wife; 32 year old white married female; married at age 22; born in Latvia; parents born in Latvia; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; an actress in the cinema. 3) William Krieger, chauffeur; 28 year old single white male; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1925, citizenship pending; a chauffeur in a private family. 4) Emma Letzien, cook; 40 year old single white female; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1923; citizenship pending; a cook in a private family. (19th ED, page 18B, lines 67-70).
    Last edited by girl incognito; 02-10-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Great story! Thanks for posting and thanks to all who have added to it. Here's the Zillow listing for the property

    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24...20809000_zpid/

    They show a current value of $2,833,500 with 5.050 sq ft, 4 bedrooms & 3 terlits, 12 total rooms. Of course it doesn't have many of the fancy upgrades the wealthy LA folks are accustomed to and they certainly couldn't live with only 3 terlits, but it still is a gorgeous home.

    Wouldn't it be incredibly expensive to fix up? Worth it, though.

    This would definitely be an interesting house to visit. One of the reasons I used to love going to estate sales was the occasional sale where the house looked as though you were in a time warp - 50's era furnishings, carpets, and other decor. Old basements with ancient kitchen appliances, games, records and doo-dads. This place must be full of stuff like that with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure.

    Hmmm... nice work. I'm guessing the count of bedrooms and terlits doesn't include the servants' quarters in the basement.

    If it's so far gone that it can't be renovated, it's definitely the sort of place that should be "deconstructed" instead of torn down. That means actually taking the house apart and saving anything that's still good, like doors, bathroom fixtures, light fixtures, even flooring and appliances.
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-10-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  50. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    http://www.lfia.com/RegPages/census/CenBody.shtml

    2475 Glendower Place (Rents for $250 per month):
    1930 census: 1) Fred Zelnick, renter and head of household; 44 year old white married male; married at age 35; born in Russia; parents born in Austria; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; a director in the cinema. 2) Alexandria Zelnick, wife; 32 year old white married female; married at age 22; born in Latvia; parents born in Latvia; speaks Russian; to US in 1929, a resident alien; an actress in the cinema. 3) William Krieger, chauffeur; 28 year old single white male; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1925, citizenship pending; a chauffeur in a private family. 4) Emma Letzien, cook; 40 year old single white female; born in Germany; parents born in Germany; speaks German; to US in 1923; citizenship pending; a cook in a private family. (19th ED, page 18B, lines 67-70).
    Fred Zelnick's name sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I looked him up. He was a film director who worked mostly in the UK and Germany. I'm guessing he was renting the house while working on something in Hollywood, though I can't say what. I wonder who else lived there over the years??
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •