Thread: Kim Winona

Guest Guest

Kim Winona

Kim Winona, sometimes known as Constance Marlow (October 10, 1930—June 1978), was a Sioux Indian, originally from Nebraska, who appeared with Keith Larsen (1924-2006) in the CBS western television series Brave Eagle, which aired on Wednesday evenings for 26 episodes in the 1955-1956 season.

Her real name is also given as Constance Elaine Mackey

At 25, Winona played the role of Morning Star, the beautiful romantic interest of Larsen's title role of Brave Eagle, a fictitious 31-year-old Cheyenne chief. A Roy Rogers Production, Brave Eagle was the first series to present events from the view of the Indian, rather than the cowboy or the homesteader. The series bore such episode titles as "Blood Brother", "Cry of the Heron", "Gold of Haunted Mountain", "Search for the Sun", "Ambush at Arrow Pass", "Papoose", "Trouble at Medicine Creek", "Witch Bear", "Valley of Decision", and "War Paint".

Other stars of the series were Anthony Numkena, a Hopi Indian then using the stage name Keena Nomkeena, who appeared as Brave Eagle's foster son, Keena, and Bert Wheeler, who portrayed the Indian jokester and wise man Smokey Joe.

After Brave Eagle, Larsen starred in two other series: Northwest Passage (NBC, 1958-1959), about the exploits of Major Robert Rogers during the French and Indian War, and The Aquanauts (CBS, 1960-1961) about Pacific divers. According to the Internet Movie Data Base, Winona did not appear in any other acting role after Brave Eagle ceased production.

Winona died at the age of 47 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head

Shame. Such a beautiful lady.

In northeast NJ, approximately 30 miles outside of NYC
    She has such an open, loving, childlike look in her eyes (IMO). Tender and innocent. I wonder if her final act had to do, in part, with a feeling she may have had of being rejected by the industry?

She is similar in appearance to another actress Carol Thurston, who also played a lot of Native Americans in films...and also committed suicide, too.

She..looks..so..happy..in
    the..picture.
    I..wonder..what..happened?
    So..young..and..I..wonder
    if..she..had..children.

No, she didn't kill herself over the industry. She made a conscious decision to leave based on the desire to no longer act. It didn't make her happy. She was an artist and wanted to focus her energies on painting. She was an amazing painter at that. Besides, she has left acting about 20 years before her death.

She had 2 daughters.

Why did she kill herself? Depression wasn't something that people talked about much less treated at the time other than bouts at the mental institution and shock therapy. She relied on alcohol to treat her depression. The suicide was unplanned and sort of an unintentional thing. It was during the midst of an argument that she pulled the trigger on herself.

RIP
    "I am the Master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Andr0m3da View Post
    No, she didn't kill herself over the industry. She made a conscious decision to leave based on the desire to no longer act. It didn't make her happy. She was an artist and wanted to focus her energies on painting. She was an amazing painter at that. Besides, she has left acting about 20 years before her death.

She had 2 daughters.

Why did she kill herself? Depression wasn't something that people talked about much less treated at the time other than bouts at the mental institution and shock therapy. She relied on alcohol to treat her depression. The suicide was unplanned and sort of an unintentional thing. It was during the midst of an argument that she pulled the trigger on herself.
    I don't mean to pry, but did you know her personally AndrOm3dra?

yeah it was almost like you where there??

She was beautiful. Such a shame, may she RIP.

Her Mother Said She Did Not Kill Herself

I knew her mother (Elaine Garvie Mackey Melior) and her mother was convinced that she did NOT kill herself. She was in a fourth unhappy marriage, 6 months. Her mother believed until she died that Kim Winona was murdered.

Her birth name was Constance Mackey. "Winona" was her grandmother's name.

Kim Winona had several stage names.

Her birth name was Constance Elaine Mackey. She had several stage names.

As "Kim Winona" she starred in a TV series called Brave Eagle (her character's name was Morning Star).

However, she worked under another name too, Connie Buck. She appeared in many TV shows in 1955 through at least 1961. Some of the shows she appeared in were Rawhide, Bat Masterson, Black Saddle, GunSmoke, and Northwest Passage. She was in at least one movie (Gunfight in 1961). See IMDB's website if you are curious about her rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by GlendaGS View Post
    I knew her mother (Elaine Garvie Mackey Melior) and her mother was convinced that she did NOT kill herself. She was in a fourth unhappy marriage, 6 months. Her mother believed until she died that Kim Winona was murdered.
    Freddie Prinze's mom refused to believe it was suicide for him also....

Suicide is one of the hardest deaths to accept. So many people that fight depression, most of us have the experience but power through it. We don't don't always understand the ones that lack the strength to find a resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by GlendaGS View Post

Her birth name was Constance Mackey. "Winona" was her grandmother's name.
    This is correct. Her name is Constance Elaine Mackey. Her middle name is her mother's first name. Winona is Constance's grandmother's first name.

To answer the question, yes, it was suicide. Her mother didn't accept it because she wanted her to have a Catholic funeral (her mother was a devout Catholic) and she couldn't have it if it was a suicide, it goes against the Catholic church. Constance was an atheist if the truth be told. It wouldn't have mattered to her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkeror View Post
    I don't mean to pry, but did you know her personally AndrOm3dra?
    yeah, she's my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Andr0m3da View Post
    yeah, she's my mother.
    So sorry for your loss, she was indeed a beautiful woman.
    “One never knows the ending. One has to die to know exactly what happens after death, although Catholics have their hopes.”

[SIZE=1]Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980)[/SIZE]