Thread: Maggie McNamara (suicide)

Guest Guest

Maggie McNamara (suicide)

Maggie McNamara (June 18, 1928 – February 18, 1978) was an Oscar-nominated American actress.

Born in New York City, McNamara worked as a teen model while studying drama and dance. In 1951, she began her acting career when she took over Barbara Bel Geddes' role as Patty O'Neill in the stage production of The Moon Is Blue. Later that year, she made her Broadway debut in The King of Friday's Men.

In 1953, she went to Hollywood to reprise her role in Otto Preminger's film version of The Moon Is Blue. Her performance earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress and a BAFTA nomination for Most Promising Newcomer to Film.

McNamara's second film role was in Three Coins in the Fountain (1954). Although her career started off well, she made only two more films after Three Coins. In the early 1960s, she appeared in several television shows including an episode of The Twilight Zone entitled "Ring-a-Ding Girl". McNamara's last onscreen role was in a 1964 episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour entitled "The Body in the Barn".

McNamara was married to actor/director David Swift. The marriage ended in divorce and McNamara never remarried.

After her last onscreen role in 1964, McNamara fell out of public view and spent her later years working as a typist.

In February 1978, McNamara was found dead after a deliberate overdose of sleeping pills. According to police reports, she left a suicide note and had a history of mental illness.

Maggie McNamara was interred in Saint Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale, Long Island, New York.

Filmography

The Moon Is Blue (1953)
    Die Jungfrau auf dem Dach (1953)
    Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)
    Prince of Players (1955)
    The Cardinal (1963)

Jesus, Vlad! Suidice day, is it?
    If you're sad, we're here for you!!

JK

Sad story...she was a talented actress.

LOL..... interesting readin' , though.

Guest Guest
    I'm not actually a Maggie fan, but thought she would make good reading!

Man Vladpyre, you sure do come up with the greatest obscure actors. I love it! I read about Maggie in a book I got called "Cut!". It's so sad how some actors just fade away and die in obscurity.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Ive..got..to..chuckle..at
    the..titles..lately
    *Hot..Suicide*
    or
    *Odd..Death*
    Tee..hee.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    Ive..got..to..chuckle..at
    the..titles..lately
    *Hot..Suicide*
    or
    *Odd..Death*
    Tee..hee.

Lol, yep it is a ploy to get more people interested in the threads here, something juicy and tragic!

I had no idea she committed suicide. I thought she was adorable and I love "Three Coins in the Fountain."

Poor lady, she must have been very sad a lonely Haver never seen Three Coins in the Fountain, but head alot about it... think it was the winner, the first time, that the Academy Awards haded out Oscars for best original song... not sure though

She was very pretty..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

A little bit of Debbie Reynolds, a little bit of Audrey Hepburn.

She was delightful in The Moon is Blue, an effervescent spirit of the 50's.

http://letterfromhere.blogspot.com/2...-mcnamara.html
    Last edited by Giada; 04-06-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

I've seen The Moon is Blue and Three Coins in the Fountain. She was so quirky, and I found her fascinating. As far as her acting goes, I think she had a quality that wouldn't be versatile, so I'm not surprised that she didn't do many movies. It would have been odd to see her as an older character , she seemed so flighty and young and innocent.

Love to hear about obscure actresses. The TZ episode, Ring-A-Ding Girl is on YouTube.

Oh, Hollywood was cruel! Just watched "Three Coins in the Fountain" - what a piece of 50s fluff it is. But Maggie is captivating, very Audrey Hepburn. I'm sorry her career didn't take off.

Maggie is captivating, very Audrey Hepburn. I'm sorry her career didn't take off.

A very sharp observation! Perhaps she was a little too much like Audrey in Hollywood's opinion. Just like the many blondes during the 50's who were openly promoted (but seldom hired for important roles) as "the next Marilyn Monroe", perhaps Maggie reminded too many filmmakers of Hepburn. And why cast Maggie if you can get Audrey ?