Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brutal Murder of Dan Short in Noel, MO

The Brutal Murder of Dan Short in Noel, MO

On October 6th, 1989, brothers Joe and Shannon Agofsky kidnapped State Bank of Noel (Missouri) manager Dan Short, 51, from his home in Sulphur Springs, AR. The two drove Short to the bank in Noel, where they forced him to open the safe and relieve the bank of $70,000. Following the theft, the two drove to northeast Oklahoma, where they duct-taped Short to a chair weighted with a concrete cinder block and a chain hoist. The two then threw the banker off of the Cowskin Bridge into Grand Lake. Alive.

Following a two year delay due to legal wrangling and a succession of lawyers, a jury convicted Shannon Agofsky of bank robbery, kidnapping, and murder. He was sentenced to two life terms in prison. His brother Joseph Agofsky was convicted of bank robbery and also sentenced to life, although the jury deadlocked on the verdict for his role in the killing.

On January 5th, 2001, Shannon Agofsky beat and stomped another inmate to death at a prison in Beaumont, TX. He is awaiting execution for this murder at the Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Joseph Agofsky is currently incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Complex in El Reno, Oklahoma.

Shannon Agofsky's inmate profile:
    http://www.deathrowspeaks.info/inmat...onagofsky.html

Dan Short

Shannon Agofsky
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nessa; 04-05-2009 at 12:04 PM.

What is sad is that a lot of women fall for their stories and write.
    A dangerous thing to do.

I wouldn't write to that dirtbag or his dirtbag brother if they were the last people on Earth. Who the fuck throws a person into a lake ALIVE?!

What a shock! Yet another innocent inmate! What are the odds? I might have to peruse that website though, Nessa. It'll be interesting to see how many of the inmates say they're innocent. I'm guessing about 99% of them.

Guest Guest
    Sickos!! They got the cash, why kill the poor guy?
    On the pic of the murderer, I see an ugly hairy ape in need of a bra!! Why keep people waiting so long, execute them within a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I wouldn't write to that dirtbag or his dirtbag brother if they were the last people on Earth. Who the fuck throws a person into a lake ALIVE?!
    Very nasty, sociopathic in fact.. Too bad, he is a good looking man. Needs a brain transplant, though...
    I'd kiss ya, but I just washed my hair...

"Old age is no place for sissies" - Bette Davis

I thought this sounded familiar. I think I saw this case few years ago in one of Discovery Channels crime series.

They are where they belong. Stay and rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I thought this sounded familiar. I think I saw this case few years ago in one of Discovery Channels crime series.

It was I remember watching it..made me sick to my stomach when they threw him in alive..

---This happened to Bruce Willis in that dreadful but great movie 'Billy Bathgate' and it was indeed hard to watch. This was one of the old-style ways of disappearing someone ('disappear' used as a verb, courtesy of The Sopranos)
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

I can't imagine being tied to a chair, and thrown into the water to drown. *shudders* What a horrible way to die.

Lovely.
    I'm not judgmental...I just like to form an opinion early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post

Lovely.
    haaaaaaaaaa

sorry but Finn, I laugh everytime I see your sig

Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    sorry but Finn, I laugh everytime I see your sig

That banana cracks me up everytime I see it too LMAO!!! A screamin' banana!!! he he

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    It was an episode of Forensic Files.

It was an episode of Forensic Files.
    Thanks. I was trying to remember but all I could think of was FBI Files and somehow I knew it wasn't that.

I recall reading the news when it happened, very sad.

Here's a case of another young murderer serving life in prison, Christopher Simmons.

Case Facts: In early September 1993, Simmons then 17, discussed with his friends, Charlie Benjamin (age 15) and John Tessmer (age 16), the possibility of committing a burglary and murdering someone. On several occasions, Simmons described the manner in which he planned to commit the crime: he would find someone to burglarize, tie the victim up, and ultimately push the victim off a bridge. Simmons assured his friends that their status as juveniles would allow them to "get away with it." Simmons apparently believed that a "voodoo man" who lived in a nearby trailer park would be the best victim. Rumor had it that the voodoo man owned hotels and motels and had lots of money despite his residence in a mobile home park.

On September 8, 1993, Simmons arranged to meet Benjamin and Tessmer at around 2:00 a.m. the following morning for the purpose of carrying out the plan. The boys met at the home of Brian Moomey, a 29-year old convicted felon who allowed neighbor teens to "hang out" at his home. Tessmer met Simmons and Benjamin, but refused to go with them and returned to his own home. Simmons and Benjamin left Moomey’s and went to Shirley Crook’s house to commit a burglary.

The two found a back window cracked open at the rear of Crook’s home. They opened the window, reached through, unlocked the back door, and entered the house. Moving through the house, Simmons turned on a hallway light. The light awakened Mrs. Crook, who was home alone. She sat up in bed and asked, "Who’s there?" Simmons entered her bedroom and recognized Mrs. Crook as a woman with whom he had previously had an automobile accident. Mrs. Crook apparently recognized him as well.

Simmons ordered Mrs. Crook out of her bed and on to the floor with Benjamin’s help. While Benjamin guarded Mrs. Crook in the bedroom, Simmons found a roll of duct tape, returned to the bedroom and bound her hands behind her back. They also taped her eyes and mouth shut. They walked Mrs. Crook from her home and placed her in the back of her mini-van. Simmons drove the can from Mrs. Crook’s home in Jefferson County to Castlewood State Park in St. Louis County.

At the park, Simmons drove the van to a railroad trestle that spanned the Meramec River. Simmons parked the van near the railroad trestle. He and Benjamin began to unload Mrs. Crook from the van and discovered that she had freed her hands and had removed some of the duct tape from her face. Using her purse strap, the belt from her bathrobe, a towel from the back of the van, and some electrical wire found on the trestle, Simmons and Benjamin found Mrs. Crook, restraining her hands and feet and covering her head with the towel. Simmons and Benjamin walked Mrs. Crook to the railroad trestle. There, Simmons bound her hands and feet together, hog-tie fashion, with the electrical cable and covered Mrs. Crook’s face completely with duct tape. Simmons then pushed her off the railroad trestle into the river below. At the time she fell, Mrs. Crook was alive and conscious. Simmons and Benjamin then Mrs. Crook’s purse in to the woods and drove the van back to the mobile home park across from the subdivision in which she lived.

Her body was found later that afternoon by two fishermen. Simmons was arrested the next day, September 10, at his high school.

http://websolutions.learfield.com/de...287460AA633B76
    Last edited by Demgirl; 04-06-2009 at 06:31 PM.

omg demgirl!
    give me a quick death in a crash any day.
    I can't imagine her horror. poor woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    omg demgirl!
    give me a quick death in a crash any day.
    I can't imagine her horror. poor woman.
    Really a nightmare. It makes you wonder how such young kids can commit such horrific acts. Are they not mature enough to grasp the reality of what they're doing? Truly shocking. He even readily admitted it to police when they questioned him.

This kid was able to get his death sentence overturned, but I doubt he'll see the outside of prison anytime soon.

I would like to ask him since he came from a good home and good parents how he and his brother became such pieces of shit. HOw he, such an innocent person wound up on death row with all those other innocent men?? i
    Ya know this guy is such an asshat that it is almost funny . but there is some chick out there with an iq of 50 that is going to write him, have him call her collect and send him money and maybe even marry him..such a shame huh?
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 04-06-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Just like Red said in Shawshank...Everybody's innocent in here.

Sick, sick, sick. I never heard this story. What a horrific way to die.
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

I think this was also on Unsolved Mysteries. It disturbed me because he was alive when he was thrown in. How horrible.

Any knowledge of Agosky case?

Hello,

I grew up in Noel and knew all parties involved, I am writing an article about the history of the Noel bank robbery as it nears 25 years since it happened. I would be interested in interviewing any of Dan's friends or anyone with memories of that time they may feel able to share. I am now a professional writer living in Honolulu and would appreciate any help I could get if this post is still active.

Thank you-

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz1PNgbHx3w

Darkstorm you can contact me. I may have something for you.

CONSIDER THIS A THREAD RESURRECTION!!! BUAHAHAHAHA.

So I have a little story for you guys. My friend, we'll call him Joey P., is a professor who also counsels and obtains book donations for prison inmates. He has been encouraging me for awhile to write to one, thinking the process would be beneficial for both myself and a lonely prisoner. So, bored one day and half-way inspired by Mammy's thread on writing to inmates, I decided to pick one at complete random. I knew I wanted to write to a male, preferably a violent offender (because of my own twisted interests and questions), and he had to be a death row inmate--so I knew that fucker wouldn't be getting out! Haha.

Now, I know many of you would never EVER write to an inmate, but I'm a freak. Lol. I am NOT looking for a romantic relationship or anything like that, I am writing out of sheer, unbridled curiosity. The psyche of evil men has always been completely alluring to me, and I have a need to analyze and understand people like that. Plus, I'm a writer!!! At the very least he could provide excellent villain material. So, completely at random, I selected pictures of 3 death row inmates who didn't look totally stupid, and I chose which one to write to based on who had the best profile. At the encouragement of Joey P., I didn't research my inmate's past or info on his criminal trial so that my perception of him as a person "wouldn't be addled by all the negative bias floating around."

Two days ago, I received my first letter from Shannon Agofsky. He is well-written, witty, and opinionated. He doodled in the margins and used a bright purple gel pen to write my letter. He maintains his innocence in the letter, telling me that Project Innocence actually cleared his and his brother's name last year, but the records and new evidence are still all under seal. His brother may get out of prison but he never will, since he killed that man in a fight while in prison. I was surprised at how normal and funny he seemed in his letter, but I also think he's already lied to me about a few things.

Would new evidence in that case not be publicized, even if they couldn't come out and say what the evidence was? Does anyone know of a way I can find out whether or not Project Innocence actually worked with Joseph and/or Shannon Agofsky? I really want to find a place online where I can look at the trial documents and evidence, but so far have had no luck. The Google-fu is not strong with this one, haha. Apparently his brother Joseph was nearly aquitted in his first trial, which makes me think that maybe the case wasn't so cut and dried as most people think? I know there aren't any "guilty" men in prison, haha, but this case is pretty interesting and Shannon--while quite possibly an evil individual--is definitely an interesting and complex character. I intend to continue writing to him, at least for awhile.

Imagine my shock and surprise when I found this thread about him here!!!!

I agree 100%.

Interesting, Bettie! Has he mentioned why he beat and stomped his fellow inmate to death?

Yes, as a matter of fact he did. Apparently he was put into a sort of security cage with 3 (or 4...I can't recall exactly) other inmates. They attacked him and he attacked back, getting the leader down on the ground and stomping him to death. Shannon was very up front about it and didn't try to sugarcoat it or defend himself. The attack barely lasted a minute and no weapons were used--the story was corroborated by several other guards and inmates as well.

And Nellie, that's great for you. Don't write them then. Don't even comment to the thread. I didn't realize who Shannon was or what his crime was when I wrote him, but he's still a complex and interesting person.
    Darkling, I listen; and, for many a time
    I have been half in love with easeful Death.
    - John Keats
    Learn, Accept, Love. http://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.com/

Kewl - thanks, Bettie. Wow, it's amazing what can transpire within only one minute. Then again, I'm sure life behind bars is like that, with its own realm of daily reality that's very different from the outside world.
    "I like my big old granny panties, but I don't want them big enough to bunch up and make it look like I shit my pants." - Mammy

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    What a shock! Yet another innocent inmate! What are the odds? I might have to peruse that website though, Nessa. It'll be interesting to see how many of the inmates say they're innocent. I'm guessing about 99% of them.
    Yep!! My husband is a Correctional Officer ( Prison Officer ) that's just the fancy title, and they are all innocent as far as they are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Kewl - thanks, Bettie. Wow, it's amazing what can transpire within only one minute. Then again, I'm sure life behind bars is like that, with its own realm of daily reality that's very different from the outside world.
    We haven't written very much yet, but from what I've gathered so far, prison is....crazy. I mean, I know it's supposed to be that way, and for good reason, but to hear it described from the inside is a whole new experience. A lot of them live like complete animals in there, it's day to day. You could be going to the cafeteria and get stabbed to death for looking at someone wrong. And whether or not any of you want to admit it, there are innocent men in prison, and they don't deserve to have to live their lives that way. The Center for Wrongful Convictions published a "conservative" estimate according to their surveys and research, and they found that nearly 1% of the US prison population, or about 20,000 prisoners, were falsely convicted. Look no further than inmates like Johnny Frank Garrett, Wayne Felker, Jesse Tafero, Timothy Cole, or for a more international example Timothy Evans. I could go on and on.
    - John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHeadBettie View Post
    Yes, as a matter of fact he did. Apparently he was put into a sort of security cage with 3 (or 4...I can't recall exactly) other inmates. They attacked him and he attacked back, getting the leader down on the ground and stomping him to death. Shannon was very up front about it and didn't try to sugarcoat it or defend himself. The attack barely lasted a minute and no weapons were used--the story was corroborated by several other guards and inmates as well. And Nellie, that's great for you. Don't write them then. Don't even comment to the thread. I didn't realize who Shannon was or what his crime was when I wrote him, but he's still a complex and interesting person.
    Curious if you got corroborative stories or if this is merely his version of the facts (Included alleged corroboration) because my threshhold of tollerance for bull is crossed with this story. His storey: They attacked him making him the victim then he took out the leader while three or four prisoners plus guards twiddled their thumbs? Oh but only for a minute because no one moved while he was initially being attacked. So he called a time out on being attacked in order to defend himself on merely one of the attackers because he knew the others would corroborate his story? talk about suspending one's disbelief... frankly his story is insulting to the audience intelligence. The world will definitely be better off without this guy..
    Last edited by tarsier; 03-21-2012 at 08:01 AM.

I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I believe him about anything, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. If you'll notice in my first post, I was asking for advice on how to go about corroborating many points of his story. I simply don't know what resources to use or who to get into contact with. I know at the very least I can probably reach someone at Project Innocence who can help me.
    - John Keats

I knew Shannon pretty well when I was a kid. He was a martial arts instructor at a dojo in my town and I had been his student for around a year when all this went down. It was particularly frightening to my family because my father was the Vice President of the largest bank in town and he could've just as easily decided to kidnap me to get to my father. I remember the dojo putting on a demonstration at my town's summer festival in which Shannon broke several bricks with his hand. As a wee tike, I looked up to him as something of a role-model, so I was very shocked by all that transpired. As for the evidence in the case, I do think his guilt was pretty clear. I remember hearing something about his finger-prints on the duck tape that was used on the chair Dan was bound to. The chair, as I recall, also matched one found in Shannon's kitchen. He seemed like a very cool and normal guy. It's crazy...how a sociopath can seem so normal and nonthreatening.

Thanks so much for you post, Adam! Would you mind talking to me some more about Shannon? I'd love to ask you a couple questions. PM me if you're alright with that! :-)

As for the print on the duct tape, I believe he said that it was only a partial print and it couldn't 100% be identified as his. I don't know if this is true or not, that's one of the things I'm trying to find out. I'll have to ask him about the chair...
    - John Keats

Welcome, Adam, and thank you for your post. It must really creep you out to know you spent time around a person who could do something so horrible. You are right, it could have just as easily been your dad instead of Dan Short. What a horrible way to die. I started a thread a few months ago about a guy I went to school with who brutally murdered a man in 2008. I still have a hard time believing it. It sure throws you for a loop to know someone who murders an innocent person and it is hard to wrap your mind around. I'm glad you or your family weren't harmed.
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530795_481271845246726_1189858655_n.jpg

Yes, I'm glad for that too, Adam. Honestly, Shannon speaks with a lot of joy when he remembers working with students. I feel like the people he was close to and cared about, he never had an ill thought toward. I know that doesn't necessarily make it better! But he seems to really love martial arts and teaching.
    - John Keats

Dammit, Bettie! I had myself talked out of writing to my old classmate and your posts make me curious again. LOL
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/530795_481271845246726_1189858655_n.jpg

Hahahaha! Oh, Mammy. I don't want to sway you one way or the other, but so far my experience has been very interesting, and I'd say positive. I won't lie--it does seem possible that Shannon might be a little untruthful about certain things, and I'm investigating those, but his letters are still wonderfully compelling and interesting to read and analyze. I really look forward to getting them and carefully crafting my replies! Makes checking the mail exciting lol.
    - John Keats

I'm sure your penpal probably does quite a bit of sugar coating to make himself look better. I would imagine they all do. Don't you go apeshit and turn into a death row bride. LOL

Oh, that will never be me. Hahaha. Not unless my Joe (God forbid!) goes in for anything. That's one thing I always relay in my letters to Shannon--some little story about my boyfriend and I. As in--I HAVE A BOYFRIEND, NOT AVAILABLE hahaha.
    - John Keats

What does Joe think about your penpal? Is he curious what kind of information he gives you in the letters? Not as a jealous thing, but just being curious. When I thought about writing to my former classmate, my husband didn't have a problem with it or even seem to think it was strange. He knows nobody else is a threat to our marriage and understood why I was so disturbed by how Timmy's life is ruined now. It still bothers me and I try not to think about it too much.

You can get a transcript of the trial. You will have to pay for it but if you are writing a book about it you should have that anyway. You could also get copies of the xrime scene photos and many other things,

Novstorm--any suggestions on how I can go about getting those? Or a ballpark price estimation? Lol. I'm broke so I might have to scrimp.

Mammy, Joe is really curious too. He is pushing me to write a book about the crime, and we read all of my letters and Shannon's responses together. I love laying them about side by side to see the progression of our relationship. His stories are wild and interesting, but probably not all true. Haha. That's what I'm trying to sift through right now!
    - John Keats

Got some very interesting updates for anyone who cares! Lol. Shannon sent me a huge file of legal papers. In them are witness statements, personal testimonies, vouches of character, incident reports, evidence photos, articles, etc. Many of them proving Shannon's innocence, IMHO. My friend Shailly has a scanner so I'm working to try and get with her to upload all these documents--but it will be a hefty undertaking! Here are a few points that really stuck out to me.

- In the files, there is a statement from the owner of the dojo Shannon taught and trained at. He says in his statement that he is in possession of a roll sheet from the night of the robbery. Shannon signed it and was there for the whole training class, which let out around 10:15-10:30 pm. Shannon then stayed late to chat and help close up. The owner made all of this information known, and still it wasn't used in trial. They never even asked him for the sheet.
    -The "finger print match" the prosecution used isn't viable and wouldn't be admissable in court today. In most courts, they see 14-16 match points on a print as an indicator that it is, in fact, the defendant's in question. The duct tape print only matched Shannon in 4 points, and when they ran the tests there were 20,000 plus possible matches (most of them with 4+ points). The FBI agent who pinpointed it as "definitely being Shannon's" is currently under investigation for 200+ cases of falsified evidence and corruption.
    - The duct tape with the print was not found anywhere on or near Mr. Short's body or the chair. It was found on the shore of Grand Lake nearly a week and a half after the discovery of the body. The FBI used a technique called "end-matching" to prove that the duct tape was ripped from a roll Shannon had in his possession. In 2001 (I believe that is the correct year) end-matching was ruled faulty and inadmissable as evidence. It is impossible to say what roll a strip of tape came from due to the elastic nature of the tape.
    - The inmate that testified that Shannon had confessed in prison came forward a few years ago to admit that he was coerced into the story so he could get a lighter sentence--he's even willing to testify to this now apparently.
    - A few other men who are in prison for other charges apparently confessed to this crime and said they had no clue who the Agofsky brothers are. I'm trying to get more info on this stuff but it's still under seal, as are some other pieces of new evidence.

There's a lot of other info and really striking things about this case--still sifting through it all and I'm excited to share if anyone is interested! I really think they have an innocent man here. People forget he was a chubby faced 18 year old trying to make a name for himself in martial arts when all of this went down. Between our letters, my correspondence with his friends and family, and the legal documents I've received, I really think they have the wrong man.
    - John Keats

Back and forth between Pittsburgh and Tampa
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalHeadBettie View Post
    Got some very interesting updates for anyone who cares! Lol. Shannon sent me a huge file of legal papers. In them are witness statements, personal testimonies, vouches of character, incident reports, evidence photos, articles, etc. Many of them proving Shannon's innocence, IMHO. My friend Shailly has a scanner so I'm working to try and get with her to upload all these documents--but it will be a hefty undertaking! Here are a few points that really stuck out to me.

- In the files, there is a statement from the owner of the dojo Shannon taught and trained at. He says in his statement that he is in possession of a roll sheet from the night of the robbery. Shannon signed it and was there for the whole training class, which let out around 10:15-10:30 pm. Shannon then stayed late to chat and help close up. The owner made all of this information known, and still it wasn't used in trial. They never even asked him for the sheet.
    -The "finger print match" the prosecution used isn't viable and wouldn't be admissable in court today. In most courts, they see 14-16 match points on a print as an indicator that it is, in fact, the defendant's in question. The duct tape print only matched Shannon in 4 points, and when they ran the tests there were 20,000 plus possible matches (most of them with 4+ points). The FBI agent who pinpointed it as "definitely being Shannon's" is currently under investigation for 200+ cases of falsified evidence and corruption.
    - The duct tape with the print was not found anywhere on or near Mr. Short's body or the chair. It was found on the shore of Grand Lake nearly a week and a half after the discovery of the body. The FBI used a technique called "end-matching" to prove that the duct tape was ripped from a roll Shannon had in his possession. In 2001 (I believe that is the correct year) end-matching was ruled faulty and inadmissable as evidence. It is impossible to say what roll a strip of tape came from due to the elastic nature of the tape.
    - The inmate that testified that Shannon had confessed in prison came forward a few years ago to admit that he was coerced into the story so he could get a lighter sentence--he's even willing to testify to this now apparently.
    - A few other men who are in prison for other charges apparently confessed to this crime and said they had no clue who the Agofsky brothers are. I'm trying to get more info on this stuff but it's still under seal, as are some other pieces of new evidence.

There's a lot of other info and really striking things about this case--still sifting through it all and I'm excited to share if anyone is interested! I really think they have an innocent man here. People forget he was a chubby faced 18 year old trying to make a name for himself in martial arts when all of this went down. Between our letters, my correspondence with his friends and family, and the legal documents I've received, I really think they have the wrong man.
    Those are some interesting points! What are his chances of a new trial?
    "You are what you think. If you think and you know that you can make it, then you are going to make it"
    - Jeff Reed, former NFL kicker

Right now Shannon tells me he's trying to not get his hopes up too much. There is a very promising chance he will get another trial, but I guess the process is going very, very slowly right now. With all the motions and things currently being filed (I'm not even sure the extent of the work that goes into all of this) it could even take years. Apparently his brother Joe is much closer to getting a new trial, because he was never convicted of the actual murder (not enough evidence), just the robbery. I'm trying to get in contact with a rep from The Innocence Project who can help me understand the whole process more clearly.

Shannon's lawyers actually seem to be extremely optimistic about things right now, but Shannon is a realist (borderline pessimist IMO!). His case is much more complicated than Joe's because even if he gets exonerated of Mr. Short's murder, he still has to appeal and get a new trial for the murder of inmate Plant in Beaumont, Texas. However, I think if we can get him cleared of the first offense, it will be no problem to get a new trial for the second offense. There are documents in my legal packet with witness testimonies from both prison guards and inmates that say Shannon acted in self-defense and the conflict only lasted seconds---why his defense team ignored these testimonies and did not use these witnesses at trial is VERY suspicious to me. Throughout all of his trials, for both offenses, it seems that his defense team was extremely incompetent. I think he should sue them when he's out.
    - John Keats