Thread: Glenn Ford

Glenn Ford

Born in Canada, Ford moved to California as a child and joined Columbia Pictures in 1939.
    During a 53-year Hollywood career, he featured in more than 100 films from romance to comedy, often portraying the tough, introspective hero.
    Early in his career, Ford turned out a film every five days from Columbia Pictures' B-unit.
    Service in the Marines during World War II interrupted his fledgling career, but only briefly.
    Ford appeared with Henry Fonda (l) and Robert Mitchum (r) in Midway

Ford went on to establish himself as a leading Hollywood star and formed an electric on-screen partnership with Rita Hayworth, which lasted for six films.
    His acting talents ranged from romance to comedy, with famous credits like Superman, The Sheepman, The Gazebo, Pocketful of Miracles and Don't Go Near the Water.
    He also appeared in a number of Westerns, including 3:10 to Yuma, Cowboy, Texas, and The Fastest Gun Alive.
    An action man both on and off screen, he later took up hang-gliding at the age of 64 and got married for the fourth time at 76.
    But he suffered a series of strokes in the 1990s.
    Failing health meant Ford missed a 90th birthday tribute on 1 May at Hollywood's Grauman's Egyptian Theatre.
    But he did send greetings via video, saying: "I wish I were up and around, but I'm doing the best that I can. There's so much I have to be grateful for."
    At the event, Shirley Jones, who co-starred with him in the comedy The Courtship of Eddie's Father, called Ford "one of the cornerstones of our industry, and there aren't many left."
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

I loved him in That Courtship of Eddies father.

one of his wives was Eleanor Powell, the great tap dancer. She was my favorite old school dancer. her movie musicals were great, i loved her with fred astaire, so much more so than with ginger rogers

I have to admit...I always hated Glenn Ford. He beat all of his wives senseless and was pretty much a miserable man. How could anyone be mean to a beautiful woman like Eleanor Powell is beyond me. This is going to sound harsh, but Glenn Ford lived 90 years too long. BLAH!

Guest Guest
    Wow! I didn't realise he was a wifebeater! How nasty, if that is true, he has gone waaay down in my estimation! Not that I thought he was that great anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Wow! I didn't realise he was a wifebeater! How nasty, if that is true, he has gone waaay down in my estimation! Not that I thought he was that great anyway.
    I never heard that before either! Yeah the means ones live forever it seems!

His second wife, Kathryn Hayes, has been on "As The World Turns" for 30+ years. She's also known for a role on the original "Star Trek", where she played a deaf-mute alien that was able to assume the pain of others to heal them.

A great actor, one of the best.

I just took a couple of minutes and googled Ford. There was a significant amount of info about his marriages, but nothing was mentioned about wifebeating. That's a pretty serious charge to throw at somebody. You got any proof?

Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    I have to admit...I always hated Glenn Ford. He beat all of his wives senseless and was pretty much a miserable man. How could anyone be mean to a beautiful woman like Eleanor Powell is beyond me. This is going to sound harsh, but Glenn Ford lived 90 years too long. BLAH!
    Wow! Where are your sources for all of this? I have never found anything, but is it documented somewhere? I don't really question you, I'm just curious and want to learn more. Are you a Hollywood insider (or know someone who is?)
    I'm an Eleanor Powell fan. I would hate to think that good woman was treated shabbily. (though I sense she got the short end of the stick with the divorce, and SHE was the one who essentially gave up her career)

Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    I just took a couple of minutes and googled Ford. There was a significant amount of info about his marriages, but nothing was mentioned about wifebeating. That's a pretty serious charge to throw at somebody. You got any proof?
    There's a new book out; I don't have it yet, but apparently it doesn't portray Glenn Ford as a good family man at all. We'll see. Poor Eleanor, she was very kind and SUPREMELY talented.

I hate those hypocritical Republican family values types; all self-righteous, angry phonies. She gives up her career and Mr. Hypocrite who benefits from it turns around and gives her nothing?
    Last edited by Murphee; 06-10-2011 at 05:16 AM.

I have heard all the negatives as well but enjoyed him as an actor especially in "Cade's County" a TV series where he played a County Sherriff in New Mexico in the 1970s if I remember it right.Too bad he was a terrible drunk in the same ilk as Harry Morgan and Robert ? or Marcus Welby I mean they portrayed the most wonderful characters on screen

[QUOTE=Murphee;1158313]There's a new book out; I don't have it yet, but apparently it doesn't portray Glenn Ford as a good family man at all. We'll see. Poor Eleanor, she was very kind and SUPREMELY talented.

Do you have a title/author for the book? Would like to check it out.

Morto - That would be Robert Young

Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    Sad that his son sounds like a piece of work. NOW says his mother was the conservative who turned Glenn Ford into one (I'm paraphrasing here)

Funny, he said at one time she was a liberal?
    Maybe he can stop being so disingenuous about his mother? It's kind of weird he doesn't seem to want to emulate the kind, gracious and giving parent. Gee, I'd want to take after the parent who was THERE for me, not the mean, selfish one.

I went to a screening of "The Big Heat" with Glenn Ford at a film noir festival in Palm Springs yesterday and his son Peter was interviewed afterward and then did a book signing in the lobby. He is the only child of Glenn and Eleanor Powell. I had no intention of buying the book ( I actually went to see Gloria Graham in the film) but after hearing some of the stories he told about his father I had to buy it. I do not believe Glenn ever beat his wives but he was a womanizer. Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Rita Hayworth (who got pregnant and went to Europe for an abortion) are just a few. He said his mom used to call Rita Hayworth "The Hussy". Haven't started the book yet. His wife of 48 years was there also and they couldn't have been nicer to me. One of their daughters is named Eleanor Powell Ford after his mom. He said he did not write a Daddy Dearest book but that his dad was very distant and always preoccupied with work. He said his dad was definitely not "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" dad. His dad kept journals since he was very young and Peter has all of them. He started to write the book with his dad 2 years before Glenn died and then it took him 5 years to finish it after his dad died. Peter said he has had an amazing life and was even a reserve deputy sheriff for over 20 years. Can't wait to read it.