Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rudolph Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by GSBLTD View Post
    There's a wonderful little silent short film called RUDOLF VALENTINO'S 88 AMERICAN BEAUTIES which is a 13-minute newsreel of a beauty contest held in Madison Square garden in 1923. This big finale was the result of a cross-country tour that Valentino did with his new bride, Winifred Hudutt [her REAL name, I SWEAR!] to promote Mineralava face cream with the Valentino's dancing in exhibition halls. At each of the 88 stops, a mini-beauty contest was held naming a local girl winner and competitor for the final extravaganza in NYC.

The film itself is a great little time-capsule that shows a beaming and cordial Valentino judging the beauties as they stroll by in Little Bo-Peep costumes complete with shepherd's crooks. Imagine my surprise when watching this forgotten footage to see that the 5th-place winner was from my hometown, Wichita KS! I tried [in vain] to track down her descendants to give them a disc of the film... but found no leads.

Incidentally: this little gem carries another pedigree of early Hollywood... it was directed by none other than a young David O. Selznick!!
    Thanks for sharing! Is the clip online?
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Cindy, here is a clip of Rudy judging the beauty contest. There is also some home movie scenes added on. There is a brief look at Rudy and Pola Negri (his last lover) riding horses and in the in the swimming pool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He1J_2XA5H0
    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy's Girl View Post
    Cindy, here is a clip of Rudy judging the beauty contest. There is also some home movie scenes added on. There is a brief look at Rudy and Pola Negri (his last lover) riding horses and in the in the swimming pool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He1J_2XA5H0
    Wow! Thanks, Rudy! I only ever seen him in movies.
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Wow! Thanks, Rudy! I only ever seen him in movies.

You're quite welcome Cindy. I love seeing Rudy when he was just being himself. He's just so damn handsome, especially without all of that make up they used to put on the actors and actresses in the twenties....

isn't that the same one on "The Sheik" dvd? the beauty contest thing?
    [I] "There comes a time in every women's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    isn't that the same one on "The Sheik" dvd? the beauty contest thing?
    Hi d! Good to see you. You know, I haven't even watched my Sheik dvd yet. I've seen it many times on YouTube and on TMC. I'm going to get it out and watch it in the next couple of days.

I was just wondering if any Rudy fans have read this book? I just came across it on Amazon. It was written by Rudy's great-niece....

http://www.amazon.com/Rudolph-Valent...412911&sr=1-31

Hey RG! Don't forget to be prepared for valentines day on TCM cuz they always have that marathon dedicated to Rudy and you can put in requests for what you want to see, love that channel. I would love to read that book! too bad it's so damn expensive. Have you read that one book that recently came out, the one that crazy lady made a big stink about? I think it was called "Affairs Valentino" or something like that? I'm just tempted to read it and see how absurd it is!
    [I] "There comes a time in every women's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne."[/FONT]

Hi d, sorry it took awhile to get back to you. I haven't been on line as much because of a lot of stuff that is going on now. Thanks for letting me know about the Valentine marathon dedicated to Rudy, I will definitely be watching!

Yes, I have read Affairs Valentino and wow! There is some pretty heavy stuff in that book, like the fact that Rudy fathered his own nephew, but the book is a little hard to find now, because of all of the controversy. I did order the book I described earlier written by Rudy's great grand niece called Rudolph Valentino: The early years, 1895--1920. She says that so much mis-information has been written about her uncle. She has direct information, documents and letters because she is his family member. It was expensive, that's for sure.

oooh, details please!! see now that book, the one by his niece, I would find extremely credible. I just wish most of these bios weren't "side-oriented" ya know what I mean? Like there's a group thats dead set on him being gay. there's another that thinks he was a materialistic ego driven womanizing man whore. it's just a shame that all people wanna know is what the worst was in that person, fiction or not. To me, he was just a normal regular guy just trying to fit old world views into a booming new world and trying to keep up with both at the same time. I'm gonna hunt around and see if I can't get my hands on it. Until then, I'll read vicariously through you! lol

that is wild! Natacha was such a strange bird, i love the look on her face! If he did hook up with Nita it was probably just "It's a quarter after one and i'm all alone.." sex. I didn't see much chemistry between them in Blood and Sand not anywhere near what Vilma and him had. sigh, they were sooooo good together! kinda like an olden day Leo and Kate, (who i'm still desperately waiting to hear news on. Oh, they will get together!) just wonderful! I wonder if the whole nephew thing is really true...didn't someone post a pic of the two of them on here? I'm gonna hunt thru and compare the kid to both Rudy and Al. Al had such,I'll be nice, "prominent" features that if the kid was really his it be easy to tell right? but if it wasn't...Que the unsolved mysteries theme!

Rudy's Girl:

When I was researching Valentino several years ago I ran across an interesting little item you may like... ESPECIALLY since you live in the Bay area! When Rudy first moved to the West Coast, he lived in San Francisco for a short time working as a professional dancer. He shared an apartment up on Bush Street - there's a picture of the building as it looks now on a Rudy tribute website. I found it especially intriguing since - when I first moved to the City back in the late 70's, I ALSO lived on Bush street... just a couple of blocks from Rudy's old building [I recognized it from the online pics]! I wish I had known it then... it would've given the old neighborhood a little extra style and class [not that it was THAT bad even then]!!! It's a pretty small world, after all, isn't it?

RG-

there's a photo of Rudy's family at rudolph-valentino.com in the 'photos' section under 'family' that's of the whole clan and a little boy in the front. if that's the nephew in question then it's more than likely Al's (they share the same nose) and not rudy's. Maybe I'm wrong, anywho thought maybe you'd like to take a peek!

Quote Originally Posted by GSBLTD View Post
    Rudy's Girl:

When I was researching Valentino several years ago I ran across an interesting little item you may like... ESPECIALLY since you live in the Bay area! When Rudy first moved to the West Coast, he lived in San Francisco for a short time working as a professional dancer. He shared an apartment up on Bush Street - there's a picture of the building as it looks now on a Rudy tribute website. I found it especially intriguing since - when I first moved to the City back in the late 70's, I ALSO lived on Bush street... just a couple of blocks from Rudy's old building [I recognized it from the online pics]! I wish I had known it then... it would've given the old neighborhood a little extra style and class [not that it was THAT bad even then]!!! It's a pretty small world, after all, isn't it?

Hi GSBLTD, thanks for the info. Wow, I would love to see Rudy's apartment building in SF. I will really have to check that out! I had also read that his very first stage appearance was in Oakland, my home town.

RG-

there's a photo of Rudy's family at rudolph-valentino.com in the 'photos' section under 'family' that's of the whole clan and a little boy in the front. if that's the nephew in question then it's more than likely Al's (they share the same nose) and not rudy's. Maybe I'm wrong, anywho thought maybe you'd like to take a peek!

d, I saw that pic and I agree. To me Jean looks like Alberto with the same nose. Any luck finding the book? When you do, we can really go over some of the stuff that's written. Now that we are getting close to finishing out the holidays, I'm going to start on the book written by Rudy's niece...

let us know if u get to any interesting parts! I'm gonna get my hands on that book soon! the anticipation is killing me! I'm gonna have ta check out Dark Lover again from the library...

Hi Doyleloyal and Rudy's Girl! I didn't know about the book from the great-niece until I read about it on this thread. I'll have to take a look. I read Affairs Valentino and loved the book. It was rather large and bulky but felt it was pretty interesting. I've seen a picture of the nephew and Alberto taken together later in life and I thought there were some features (especially the eyes) that made me think it was possible that Rudy could be his father. But I really have no idea. A funny side note... I bought Affairs Valentino from Amazon and posted about it on the site. Big mistake!! Too much controversy! I was accused of being related to the author (or was the author herself) and told that was the only reason I would have posted a positive review. Later I found my name on a website as an alias for the author of Affairs Valentino. Pretty funny!! I wish I had access to all that info, I'd be in heaven! I have to buy the books like everyone else.
    Anyway, nice to see you both on here... haven't posted in awhile. Take care!

wow that was u?!? Yea them people seriously were getting out of hand with their comments on there, i'm tellin ya there's some hardcore fans out there! I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy that book. Most of her "findings" seemed pretty outrageous to me but still if there's a book about Valentino I'm gonna read it!

Hey guys! I hope everyone had a great New Years. Life has just been so crazy lately and I have been so backed up on everything. I still haven't had a chance to start reading Rudy's niece's book, but I'm going to start. In the mean time, I came across a more rare Rudy clip. Some may or may not have seen it. There is a part in the clip where Rudy is holding a couple of children. It's rather sad knowing he wanted to be a father so bad and never had the chance. Also at the end Nita reaching up and tapping him. I really do believe she had the hots for him. But I agree with d, I love Rudy and Vilma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJi4...eature=related

I was watching her (the author) talk at some press conference about the book and some of the information I think was incredible but not in a good way. I highly highly doubt that Rudy ran down the stairs with a pistol threatening to shoot Natacha b/c detectives he personally hired told him that she was having an affair and that her reaction to his anger was so calm that they made up instantly. okey dokey. and I also loved how throughout the entire press conference all she really talked about was his sexuality but that wasn't at all her sole purpose for having the press conference. it was a little much to say the least and she was kinda bitchy pretty much the whole way through.

I have no clue why it's banned it's not even listed on b&n's website. weird.

here's the press conference:
    pt 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG2Xg...8C59B9A883BF13

pt2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVMEE...eature=related

pt3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5BE...eature=related

pt4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xM6...eature=related

the presentation was outstanding, offering fresh source material about valentino and debunking the gay myth. you also mischaracterize the make-up as being instant - it was certainly not. the purpose of the press conference was to promote her book which introduces ground breaking material. the gay issue was just a titillating and provocative way of achieving that end since so many people seem obsessed with that subject. the book itself of course covers much more ground.

so old rudy was a pistol waiving irate jealous husband? very interesting....thank you for posting the links.

Some more Rudy clips....

I don't know if this has been posted, but this is a rather rare one. This shows a famous impersonator back in the twenties who changes into different stars. It's suppose to be a big illusion, but of course they really are the stars themselves including Rudy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRfQN...eature=related

For those who like the paranormal. Here is a clip of a paranormal researcher who says she made contact with Rudy at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPx55PD-wg

I've always liked this Rudy beach video. He looks so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXNv...eature=related

It's funny when I think about Natacha announcing right in front of her family that Rudy looked his best totally naked.

Edited to say that the girl running on the beach with Rudy is none other then Virginia Rappe, the actress who died in the Fatty Arbuckle scandel...
    Last edited by Rudy's Girl; 01-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.

well natacha was half right, she forgot to add looked his best naked and wet!!

well natacha was half right, she forgot to add looked his best naked and wet!!

Yes sir!!!

I have been following this thread for quite some time. I have always been fascinated by silent film stars since I was a little girl. My Great Grandma was a flapper and had a lot of autographed picture of the stars from her era. I used to look at them all the time. I don't remember seeing Rudy's picture ( I was pretty little!!) But I am fascinated by Valentino though!! So much history, and so much sadness!! I would really like to get a book about his life and learn more, and I thought you ladies would be able to direct me to the best one to start with! My guess was Dark Lover? So what do you all think?
    I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx0311 View Post
    I have been following this thread for quite some time. I have always been fascinated by silent film stars since I was a little girl. My Great Grandma was a flapper and had a lot of autographed picture of the stars from her era. I used to look at them all the time. I don't remember seeing Rudy's picture ( I was pretty little!!) But I am fascinated by Valentino though!! So much history, and so much sadness!! I would really like to get a book about his life and learn more, and I thought you ladies would be able to direct me to the best one to start with! My guess was Dark Lover? So what do you all think?
    Hi Jinx, welcome to the Rudy thread.

Yes, Dark Lover is an excellent start. A good companion book for any Rudy fan is The Valentino Mystique by Allan R. Ellenberger. This book is full of good information, facts and lists. Another book which I am going to start to read was written by Rudy's great grand niece, Jeanine Therese Villalobos called Rudolph Valentino: The Early Years 1895-1920. She has access to personal family information, letters etc.

I mentioned that Rudy's great grand niece Jeanine, had recently written and published a book called Rudolph Valentino: The Early Years 1895-1920. I just found out that Jeanine is writing a totally complete biography on her uncle. This should be good because as I have said, she has a lot of information, letters, documents, etc. on Rudy and being a family member she knows a lot about him.

Cool! Very excited to read it! Love the pics to by the way, that scene from Son of the sheik is one of my all time favs!

Cool! Very excited to read it! Love the pics to by the way, that scene from Son of the sheik is one of my all time favs!

Hi d! I guess there is also a story behind the intense love scene shown in the picture with Rudy and Alice Terry. This movie, The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse was directed by Alice Terry's husband, Rex Ingram. Supposedly Ingram didn't treat Rudy very nice and they didn't really get along. So when it came down to this particular love scene with Rudy and Alice, Rudy really laid it on thick, grabbing her boob and kissing her all over while Ingram had to watch from behind the director's chair. Yes, Rudy liked to touch women's breasts in some of his scenes, but with Alice he wanted to rub it in to Ingram because of his treatment of him. So they say that is.....

and l love him even MORE! probably now my favorite fun fact about ole Rudy. well... not to burst a happy bubble but apparently the ode to valentino that they've had on tcm every year since i can remember is not happening this year! I'm so bummed, I feel i should email robert osborune personally about this cinematic tragedy. there's not even a "valentine salute" to anyone at all! I think TCM is slippin...

I'm been having a Valentino night!
    Does anybody know what Falcon Liar looks like now? I've been trying to find recent pictures of it, but the only ones I can find are when it is still be remodeled (and if anymore knows where I could find the original floorplans I would be forever indedted! I don't know why, but i love floor plans I can spend hours looking at them!)
    I came across this as well..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUDOLPH-THE-...item562acb667e
    Man if i had a spare 20,000,00€ < i don't have a dollar sign on my keyboard so imagine it's that! What a great item to have.
    I was trying to figure out why the legacy of Valentino continues to this day ( besides the obvious...ie marry me you big hunk) for me I guess it the hubba hubba, i doooooooooo aspect, but he also gives off a kind of mysterious ( stating the obvious i know) aura about him, but mysterious in a ( not a creepy way per say) but dark undertone kind of way, if you know what I'm saying He's abit like Charlier Chaplin in that aspect, I love CC films but man he gives me the heebie jeebies, I kind of figured in might be a clown phobia type of thing (lol) you know kind of hiding behind a mask, and not knowing what is really underneth it...
    It's time like this I wish I knew someone like you guys, so I can rambled on like this in RL!
    Rambling over

d, I was P.O.ed too about the Valentino movies not being on TCM. I wonder WTH happened?

Thanks RG
    And thanks for the link, i had already seen it, but always nice to see it again. I love the name of his house as well, it just kind of adds more to his aura and mystique! I can almost image him saying in his thick accent " come with me to The Falcon Lair" ...oh my! it's the perfect name of a house for him!
    The picture is great, i can't remember ever seeing it before )
    I finished reading Dark Lover last week, have you read it? what did you think? I really enjoyed it, got through in 1 weekend, lots of nice photos
    I've read afew biographies and like you said, there is an awful lot of BS flying around about him, but Dark Lover I thought was nice and balanced

Just saw as well that there is a new film about his life coming out this year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099209/
    http://www.silentlifefilm.com/about
    Last edited by Byronmarco; 02-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byronmarco View Post
    Thanks RG
    And thanks for the link, i had already seen it, but always nice to see it again. I love the name of his house as well, it just kind of adds more to his aura and mystique! I can almost image him saying in his thick accent " come with me to The Falcon Lair" ...oh my! it's the perfect name of a house for him!
    The picture is great, i can't remember ever seeing it before )
    I finished reading Dark Lover last week, have you read it? what did you think? I really enjoyed it, got through in 1 weekend, lots of nice photos
    I've read afew biographies and like you said, there is an awful lot of BS flying around about him, but Dark Lover I thought was nice and balanced

Just saw as well that there is a new film about his life coming out this year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099209/
    http://www.silentlifefilm.com/about

Byron I love the name Falcon Lair too! It's so majestic. I can just picture Rudy there, in his smoking jacket with his pipe in his hand, sitting in his big arm chair in front of a roaring fire. It's all so romantic...

Yes, I enjoyed Dark Lover very much, though parts were very sad. As you said with all of the other stuff out there, this bio was quite balanced. I don't know how much of this thread you have read, but there is a book written by Rudy's great grand niece, Jeanine Villalobos which describes his early years. Jeanine knows the true stories and has letters and documents and such. This book is a dissertation, a beginning to a full biography of her uncle Rudolph Valentino. It is said that it will be the ultimate bio on Rudy, I can't wait!

Here is the link again to her dissertation on Amazon. It's a bit expensive, but full of accurate information....

http://www.amazon.com/Rudolph-Valent...518360&sr=1-15

Yes, I have heard about the new Rudy film. I've talked to some other Rudy fans and some are waiting to see it to see what it is all about and others have been less enthused. I guess it is sort of like some of my Marilyn Monroe fan friends who dislike it if someone else tries to portray her. I guess we will have to see what happens...

Thanks for the link...Gawd that is expensive I bet it's a great read though.
    It's a shame there are no reviews, I would possibly put my pennies aside for something like this

Jeanine Villalobos dissertation is absolutely fascinating. It's my favorite Rudy book ever. Just by reading Rudy's personal correspondence with his family and friends it clears up so much incorrect information that has been printed about him over the years. Amazing book. So well written! Definitely buy it!

Thanks GlamourGirl, damn now you have made me want it like right now!
    i'll have to good with my money though, but i'm sure in a couple of months i'll be holding this in my hands

You're very welcome! Have fun reading it when you get it! You will definitely love it!

Quote Originally Posted by GlamourGirl View Post
    Jeanine Villalobos dissertation is absolutely fascinating. It's my favorite Rudy book ever. Just by reading Rudy's personal correspondence with his family and friends it clears up so much incorrect information that has been printed about him over the years. Amazing book. So well written! Definitely buy it!

I agree GG, it really is an amazing book, and I can only imagine what her future full bio on Rudy will be like. It makes you really realize just how much false information has been written about Valentino over the years...

So true! Can't wait to read it!

RG- I don't know but I was P.O.'D at TCM! btw, I love the pics you find

It's been awhile since the Rudy thread was active, so I thought I would post a few pictures....

Rudy and co-stars playing around on set of Cobra.

Rudy posing for The Hooded Falcon.

A candid of Rudy.

Rudy from Camille.

Another shot from Camille.

Uncharted.

Beautiful photos.....thank you Rudy's Girl.

Casper, I love you so much baby boy! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Cyn you are quite welcome.

Thanks, Rudy's Girl!! Haven't had much of a chance to be on here lately. Have a new job that keeps me pretty busy. Love the pictures! Appreciate you keeping our Rudy active! :-) I've made a few trips to Hollywood lately, and feel cheated that I find very few Valentino items at the shops on Hollywood Blvd. I always ask them to check their stock and they don't have much, if anything at all. Don't they know how many fans are out here?? I'd definitely purchase a life size cutout! haha... among other things.

Hi Dona! Good to see you in the Rudy thread. Hey if you do come across any cool Rudy stuff at those places, let us know. It would be interesting to hear what they have.

Just a few more Rudy pictures....

Rudy and Alice Terry

Rudy's second wife, Natasha Rambova

Rudy and wife Natasha

From Camille

The Four Horsemen and the Apocalypse

hey rg long time no see!! I really hope tcm will do like a birthday salute or something for him at least next month, they do for everyone else so why not him? love love love the pics!!! that one of him in uncharted is literally..moaning sigh..just yummy!! Is that a lost film though, i've never seen it or Cobra either (I know as a fan that's probably like blasphemy right?) I did read recently they are making a film primarily about his last days and I don't think the guy that plays him (which is another russian by the way..isn't that like the third one to play him? somethin weird about that) hardly looks like him. It'll b some art housy flick no less...I just wish they'd come out with a "for real" biographical movie about him. I think with the right director and decent budget they could really make a great "big" movie about him. that one they made with michelle phllips (who in my opinion played natacha perfectly) just ruined it for hollywood though, such a shame..

hey rg long time no see!! I really hope tcm will do like a birthday salute or something for him at least next month, they do for everyone else so why not him? love love love the pics!!! that one of him in uncharted is literally..moaning sigh..just yummy!! Is that a lost film though, i've never seen it or Cobra either (I know as a fan that's probably like blasphemy right?) I did read recently they are making a film primarily about his last days and I don't think the guy that plays him (which is another russian by the way..isn't that like the third one to play him? somethin weird about that) hardly looks like him. It'll b some art housy flick no less...I just wish they'd come out with a "for real" biographical movie about him. I think with the right director and decent budget they could really make a great "big" movie about him. that one they made with michelle phllips (who in my opinion played natacha perfectly) just ruined it for hollywood though, such a shame..

Hi d! So good to hear from you. Sorry it took a bit long to get back to the Rudy thread. Things have been kind of crazy lately. I do think that Uncharted is a lost movie, but yes he looks hella good in that picture. I think Cobra is kind of sad and depressing, but Rudy looks really, really great in that movie. He was really at his peek. So fine. That's the picture where he grabs Nita Naldi's boob, LOL. Yes, I heard about the new picture about Rudy. Sigh. I have come across other Rudy fans who aren't very happy about it. Everyone wants to see a good factual film about him for once! I know you and I sure do! The problem with these other Valentino movies is that many who see them think that everything in them is 100% true. Again it's nice to hear from you d, I hope everything is well.

Thanks for the info of rudy on youtube re impersonations.Iit was too cute. Never seen it before.

You're welcome eyesofrudy! It was a great piece, wasn't it? I think I read that it was Douglas Fairbanks who set the whole thing up to help the impersonator friend of his, and to make a fun piece of entertainment for his entertainment friends. Rudy was friends with everyone in this clip and they all liked him very much.