Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carole Landis: Warning-Dead Pics!

Carole Landis: Warning-Dead Pics!

I was really surprised that Carole doesn't have her own thread, and I thought she really needed one.

Carole Landis
    (January 1, 1919 Fairchild, Wisconsin, USA July 5, 1948 Pacific Palisades, California, USA ) was an American film and stage actress.

Landis was born Frances Lillian Mary Ridste in Fairchild, Wisconsin to a Norwegian father, Alfred Ridste, and Polish mother, Clara Stentek Ridste. Her father abandoned the family before Carole was born. Clara had been having an affair with a man named Charles Fenner and some believe he was Carole's real father. She later married Charles but the marriage didn't last. Carole was the youngest of five children. Two of her brothers died in childhood Jerome was burned by scalding water and Lewis was accidentally shot. According to family sources Carole was sexually abused during her childhood.

Landis at age 15 married Irving Wheeler age 19, a neighbor, in January 1934 but this marriage was annulled in February 1934. They later remarried on August 25, 1934, but divorced in 1939. She quit high school at age 15 and set herself on a path towards a career in show business.

Landis worked as a nightclub singer and a hula dancer in San Francisco before her 1937 film debut as an extra in A Star Is Born. She dyed her hair blonde and changed her name to "Carole Landis" after her favorite actress, Carole Lombard. Landis landed a contract with Warner Bros. Busby Berkeley, director-choreographer, proposed to her in June 1939, but later broke it off, due to the rumors that she was a call girl.

She continued appearing in bit parts until 1940 when Hal Roach cast her as a cave girl in One Million B.C. The movie was a sensation and turned Carole into a star. She was nicknamed "The Ping Girl" (which was supposed to be short for purring) and "The Chest" due to her impressive 36 DD inch bust. Although she desperately wanted to be taken seriously as an actress she was willing to pose for endless cheesecake photos if it helped her career. Carole's trademark was a gold cross she always wore around her neck, which had been a gift from her friend Diana Lewis.

Tall, lean, glamorous and with a strong singing voice, Landis appeared in a string of successful films in the early forties, usually as the second female lead. In a time when the singing of many actresses was dubbed in, Landis's own voice was considered good enough and was used in her few musical roles. Landis landed a contract with 20th Century Fox and began a sexual relationship with Darryl F. Zanuck. She had roles playing opposite fellow pin-up girl Betty Grable in Moon Over Miami and I Wake Up Screaming, both in 1941. When Carole ended her relationship with Zanuck, her career suffered and she was assigned roles in B-movies.

Her marriage to second husband, yacht broker Willis Hunt Jr., lasted just four months. She then married an Army Air Corps captain named Thomas Wallace in 1943, but this marriage also ended in divorce in 1945. Her many boyfriends included Franchot Tone, Gene Markey, Charlie Chaplin, and George Montgomery. Landis became a popular pin-up with servicemen during World War II. In 1942, she toured with comedienne Martha Raye, dancer Mitzi Mayfair and actress Kay Francis with a USO troupe in England and North Africa. Two years later, she entertained soldiers in the South Pacific with Jack Benny. Landis traveled more than 100,000 miles during the war and spent more time visiting troops than any other actress. She nearly died from amoebic dysentery and malaria she contracted while traveling overseas.

Besides being an actress, Landis was also an author. She penned several newspaper and magazine articles about her experiences during the war, including the 1944 book Four Jills in a Jeep, which was later made into a movie. She also wrote the foreword to Victor Herman's cartoon book Winnie The WAC.

In 1945 she starred on Broadway in the musical A Lady Says Yes with Jacqueline Susann, with whom she evidently fell in love and had an affair. Susann purportedly based the character Jennifer North in her book Valley of the Dolls on Landis. In 1945, Landis married Broadway producer W. Horace Schmidlapp, who had been introduced to her by Susann. She desperately wanted to become a mother, but it was later discovered that she suffered from endometriosis and was unable to have children.

Landis was plagued by depression her entire life and attempted suicide in 1944 and 1946. By 1948, her career was in decline and her marriage with Schmidlapp was collapsing. She entered into a romance with actor Rex Harrison, who was married to actress Lilli Palmer at the time.

She spent her final night alive with Harrison. Rex Harrison later claimed they had a pleasant evening discussing Carole's career. The truth was that Carole was hopelessly in love with him and desperately wanted him to leave his wife. During the evening she gave him an ultimatum and he ended their relationship.

Rex Harrison was the last person to ever see her alive. Rex Harrison drove to the Culver's house which was a few blocks away from Capri Drive. Carole was heartbroken over the end of their affair and made a decision to end her life. She collected all of the photos and mementos from their relationship and put them in a suitcase. Then she drove to the Culver's house and left the suitcase in their driveway. The next day Nan Culver found the suitcase and gave it to Rex Harrison. He took it home and burned everything that was in it.

Carole returned home and had a few drinks. Her autopsy later showed that her blood alcohol level was .12 which meant she was not drunk. She tried to call several friends including Marguerite Haymes but no one was home. Marguerite got Carole's message later that evening but decided it was too late to call her back.

Sadly Carole died alone on the bathroom floor. She was lying on a carpet next to an open cabinet. Her arms were bent as if she had been trying to raise herself up. Carole's head was resting on a jewelry box and her left hand she was holding a satin bookmark with the Lord's Prayer on it.

Capt. Emmett E. Jones, West Los Angeles detective and Carole's body

Detectives John Laymen and Emmett Jones

Harrison and the maid discovered her the following afternoon on the bathroom floor. Harrison called a doctor and the police. According to some sources, Landis left two suicide notes, one for her mother and the second to Harrison who instructed his lawyers to destroy it; during a coroner's inquest, Harrison denied knowing any motive for her suicide and told the coroner he did not know of the existence of a second suicide note.

Carole's body was taken to Bogg's and Mashmeyer's funeral home. Rumors circulated that she was pregnant with Rex Harrison's love child. Her autopsy confirmed that she was not pregnant. Carole was unable to have children because she suffered from endometriosis. The official cause of her death was "barbituate poisoning due to ingestion of overdose of Seconal".

On Thursday, July 8 Coroner Ben Brown held an informal inquest to find out what the motive was for Carole's suicide. Rex Harrison arrived at the hearing with his boss Darryl F. Zanuck. When Rex Harrison was asked why Carole had taken her life he said. "I'm sorry, but I can't give you any explanation for it at all. We talked about scripts of a new play I had and the possibilities of her playing in it. We also discussed her project of returning to England. I told her I might be able to help." He claimed that Carole was having financial problems and suffered from an amoebic infection. Carole's maid Fannie Mae Bolden and her best friend Florence Wasson also testified at the hearing. When it was over Coroner Brown told the press "I've gone as far as I can. I have gone to the limits of my authority. The testimony itself revealed no criminal action, and I cannot go further". Carole's family refused to believe that she took her own life. They thought that Rex Harrison was in some way responsible for her death and that he paid the police to cover it up. Her family even hired a private investigator but they were never able to prove Rex Harrison did anything illegal. Although he was never charged with a crime it seems clear that Harrison was not honest about what happened that night.

On July 10, 1948 Carole was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. Hundreds of her friends and fans came to say goodbye. Her grave is plot 814 in the Everlasting Love section. It is at the top of the hill right next to the road. There are dozens of other celebrities buried at Forest Lawn including Jimmy Stewart, Jeanette MacDonald, and Jean Harlow. The cemetery is located at 1712 S. Glendale Avenue.

After Carole's death she was given a star on the legendary Hollywood Walk Of Fame. She was honored for her contribution to motion pictures. The star was awarded to her in the 1960's shortly after the walk of fame was created. Her one-time boyfriend George Jessell has the star next to hers. There are more than 2,000 stars on the Hollywood walk of fame. You can find Carole's star at 1765 Vine Street in Hollywood.

One more dead pic here, scroll down that page and you find it. Also a lot other stuff about her can be found on that site.
    http://www.carolelandisonline.com/last.html
    Last edited by Northern Lights; 02-07-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Original Newsphoto Caption: The coffin containing the body of Carole Landis is shown just before it was carried to its final resting place in Forest Lawn Cemetery. The front pallbearer at left is Cesar Romero, motion picture star, while at the right front is Willard Parker. Both were close friends of the lovely actress who took her own life. To the right, Mrs. Clara Landis, mother of Carole, is dazed with grief as the body of her daughter is committed to the earth.

I've been waiting for a good Carole Landis thread to go up, excellence as always NL!

Filmography
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0484808/

Find A Grave
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...ge=gr&GRid=599

And I will post pictures of her later. I have a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    I've been waiting for a good Carole Landis thread to go up, excellence as always NL!
    Thank you!

Guest Guest
    Wow! Good one Northern Lights! Unbelievable that Carole didn't already have a thread! This was one of Hollywood's most notorious cases!
    She was a beauty, as her many cheesecake shots show! She was also mentally unstable! Many people blame Rex Harrison for her suicide! I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Wow! Good one Northern Lights! Unbelievable that Carole didn't already have a thread! This was one of Hollywood's most notorious cases!
    She was a beauty, as her many cheesecake shots show! She was also mentally unstable! Many people blame Rex Harrison for her suicide! I don't!
    Thank you! And I agree about the suicide.

She was also a huge baseball fan, and her stage name was not only created after Carole Lombard, but also Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis, commissioner of baseball at the time.

Good post Northern.. never saw the second pic before . In the last one .. often wondered who the pall bearer was on the other side of Cesar... Willard Parker , now I know.

It's probably just me, but in the last enlarged photo, the same expression on both guys' faces seems to say..

"Yeah, if she were still alive, I'd hit that."

Pictures from the apartment

she looked awfully pretty dead. just saying....

"To everything - turn, turn, turn...
    There is a season - turn, turn, turn...
    And a time for every purpose under heaven."

- The Byrds

Guest Guest
    Great pics too, many I had not seen before!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Good post Northern.. never saw the second pic before . In the last one .. often wondered who the pall bearer was on the other side of Cesar... Willard Parker , now I know.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    It's probably just me, but in the last enlarged photo, the same expression on both guys' faces seems to say..

"Yeah, if she were still alive, I'd hit that."
    It really looks a little like that...

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    she looked awfully pretty dead. just saying....
    Lol Ruby! I understand!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

I was really surprised that Carole doesn't have her own thread, and I thought she really needed one.

Carole Landis
    (January 1, 1919 Fairchild, Wisconsin, USA July 5, 1948 Pacific Palisades, California, USA ) was an American film and stage actress.

Landis was born Frances Lillian Mary Ridste in Fairchild, Wisconsin to a Norwegian father, Alfred Ridste, and Polish mother, Clara Stentek Ridste. Her father abandoned the family before Carole was born. Clara had been having an affair with a man named Charles Fenner and some believe he was Carole's real father. She later married Charles but the marriage didn't last. Carole was the youngest of five children. Two of her brothers died in childhood Jerome was burned by scalding water and Lewis was accidentally shot. According to family sources Carole was sexually abused during her childhood.

Landis at age 15 married Irving Wheeler age 19, a neighbor, in January 1934 but this marriage was annulled in February 1934. They later remarried on August 25, 1934, but divorced in 1939. She quit high school at age 15 and set herself on a path towards a career in show business.

Landis worked as a nightclub singer and a hula dancer in San Francisco before her 1937 film debut as an extra in A Star Is Born. She dyed her hair blonde and changed her name to "Carole Landis" after her favorite actress, Carole Lombard. Landis landed a contract with Warner Bros. Busby Berkeley, director-choreographer, proposed to her in June 1939, but later broke it off, due to the rumors that she was a call girl.

She continued appearing in bit parts until 1940 when Hal Roach cast her as a cave girl in One Million B.C. The movie was a sensation and turned Carole into a star. She was nicknamed "The Ping Girl" (which was supposed to be short for purring) and "The Chest" due to her impressive 36 DD inch bust. Although she desperately wanted to be taken seriously as an actress she was willing to pose for endless cheesecake photos if it helped her career. Carole's trademark was a gold cross she always wore around her neck, which had been a gift from her friend Diana Lewis.

Tall, lean, glamorous and with a strong singing voice, Landis appeared in a string of successful films in the early forties, usually as the second female lead. In a time when the singing of many actresses was dubbed in, Landis's own voice was considered good enough and was used in her few musical roles. Landis landed a contract with 20th Century Fox and began a sexual relationship with Darryl F. Zanuck. She had roles playing opposite fellow pin-up girl Betty Grable in Moon Over Miami and I Wake Up Screaming, both in 1941. When Carole ended her relationship with Zanuck, her career suffered and she was assigned roles in B-movies.

Her marriage to second husband, yacht broker Willis Hunt Jr., lasted just four months. She then married an Army Air Corps captain named Thomas Wallace in 1943, but this marriage also ended in divorce in 1945. Her many boyfriends included Franchot Tone, Gene Markey, Charlie Chaplin, and George Montgomery. Landis became a popular pin-up with servicemen during World War II. In 1942, she toured with comedienne Martha Raye, dancer Mitzi Mayfair and actress Kay Francis with a USO troupe in England and North Africa. Two years later, she entertained soldiers in the South Pacific with Jack Benny. Landis traveled more than 100,000 miles during the war and spent more time visiting troops than any other actress. She nearly died from amoebic dysentery and malaria she contracted while traveling overseas.

Besides being an actress, Landis was also an author. She penned several newspaper and magazine articles about her experiences during the war, including the 1944 book Four Jills in a Jeep, which was later made into a movie. She also wrote the foreword to Victor Herman's cartoon book Winnie The WAC.

In 1945 she starred on Broadway in the musical A Lady Says Yes with Jacqueline Susann, with whom she evidently fell in love and had an affair. Susann purportedly based the character Jennifer North in her book Valley of the Dolls on Landis. In 1945, Landis married Broadway producer W. Horace Schmidlapp, who had been introduced to her by Susann. She desperately wanted to become a mother, but it was later discovered that she suffered from endometriosis and was unable to have children.

Landis was plagued by depression her entire life and attempted suicide in 1944 and 1946. By 1948, her career was in decline and her marriage with Schmidlapp was collapsing. She entered into a romance with actor Rex Harrison, who was married to actress Lilli Palmer at the time.

She spent her final night alive with Harrison. Rex Harrison later claimed they had a pleasant evening discussing Carole's career. The truth was that Carole was hopelessly in love with him and desperately wanted him to leave his wife. During the evening she gave him an ultimatum and he ended their relationship.

Rex Harrison was the last person to ever see her alive. Rex Harrison drove to the Culver's house which was a few blocks away from Capri Drive. Carole was heartbroken over the end of their affair and made a decision to end her life. She collected all of the photos and mementos from their relationship and put them in a suitcase. Then she drove to the Culver's house and left the suitcase in their driveway. The next day Nan Culver found the suitcase and gave it to Rex Harrison. He took it home and burned everything that was in it.

Carole returned home and had a few drinks. Her autopsy later showed that her blood alcohol level was .12 which meant she was not drunk. She tried to call several friends including Marguerite Haymes but no one was home. Marguerite got Carole's message later that evening but decided it was too late to call her back.

Sadly Carole died alone on the bathroom floor. She was lying on a carpet next to an open cabinet. Her arms were bent as if she had been trying to raise herself up. Carole's head was resting on a jewelry box and her left hand she was holding a satin bookmark with the Lord's Prayer on it.

Capt. Emmett E. Jones, West Los Angeles detective and Carole's body

Detectives John Laymen and Emmett Jones

Harrison and the maid discovered her the following afternoon on the bathroom floor. Harrison called a doctor and the police. According to some sources, Landis left two suicide notes, one for her mother and the second to Harrison who instructed his lawyers to destroy it; during a coroner's inquest, Harrison denied knowing any motive for her suicide and told the coroner he did not know of the existence of a second suicide note.

Carole's body was taken to Bogg's and Mashmeyer's funeral home. Rumors circulated that she was pregnant with Rex Harrison's love child. Her autopsy confirmed that she was not pregnant. Carole was unable to have children because she suffered from endometriosis. The official cause of her death was "barbituate poisoning due to ingestion of overdose of Seconal".

On Thursday, July 8 Coroner Ben Brown held an informal inquest to find out what the motive was for Carole's suicide. Rex Harrison arrived at the hearing with his boss Darryl F. Zanuck. When Rex Harrison was asked why Carole had taken her life he said. "I'm sorry, but I can't give you any explanation for it at all. We talked about scripts of a new play I had and the possibilities of her playing in it. We also discussed her project of returning to England. I told her I might be able to help." He claimed that Carole was having financial problems and suffered from an amoebic infection. Carole's maid Fannie Mae Bolden and her best friend Florence Wasson also testified at the hearing. When it was over Coroner Brown told the press "I've gone as far as I can. I have gone to the limits of my authority. The testimony itself revealed no criminal action, and I cannot go further". Carole's family refused to believe that she took her own life. They thought that Rex Harrison was in some way responsible for her death and that he paid the police to cover it up. Her family even hired a private investigator but they were never able to prove Rex Harrison did anything illegal. Although he was never charged with a crime it seems clear that Harrison was not honest about what happened that night.

On July 10, 1948 Carole was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. Hundreds of her friends and fans came to say goodbye. Her grave is plot 814 in the Everlasting Love section. It is at the top of the hill right next to the road. There are dozens of other celebrities buried at Forest Lawn including Jimmy Stewart, Jeanette MacDonald, and Jean Harlow. The cemetery is located at 1712 S. Glendale Avenue.

After Carole's death she was given a star on the legendary Hollywood Walk Of Fame. She was honored for her contribution to motion pictures. The star was awarded to her in the 1960's shortly after the walk of fame was created. Her one-time boyfriend George Jessell has the star next to hers. There are more than 2,000 stars on the Hollywood walk of fame. You can find Carole's star at 1765 Vine Street in Hollywood.

One more dead pic here, scroll down that page and you find it. Also a lot other stuff about her can be found on that site.
    http://www.carolelandisonline.com/last.html
    Is the chrome device in the corner a hair dryer? Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by scott69 View Post
    Is the chrome device in the corner a hair dryer? Does anyone know?
    Yes, here is close-up. Next to this pic was this text: Isn't this a wonderful hair dryer? Art Deco meets the Space Age.

She was also mentally unstable! Many people blame Rex Harrison for her suicide! I don't!
    Agree Vlad.. she was mentally unstable, married 4 or 5 time before she was 30 . Married a soldier or airman during the war in London , only knew him a number of weeks . Kay Francis tried to talk her out of it. Rex Harrison may of been a shit but not responsible for her suicide . She tried it once or twice before she met him.

Just as a point of interest , have been trying to find my source but no luck . The house where she died recently sold ( I believe ) for $ 5 1/2 Million .

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Yes, here is close-up. Next to this pic was this text: Isn't this a wonderful hair dryer? Art Deco meets the Space Age.

ummm....dude, it looks like it would singe your head in a MINUTE. how did all those lovely ladies not have their hair falling out? they did some shit to it, lemme tell you...

- The Byrds

ummm....dude, it looks like it would singe your head in a MINUTE. how did all those lovely ladies not have their hair falling out? they did some shit to it, lemme tell you...
    I would never put my head in one of those It looks dangerous.

Guest Guest
    Just as a point of interest , have been trying to find my source but no luck . The house where she died recently sold ( I believe ) for $ 5 1/2 Million .
    Cool. The sort of place I would buy if I was mega rich! Some spooky history always interests me! I wonder if the place is haunted?

You do not lie

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...20546388_zpid/

Guest Guest
    I remember the first film I saw Carole in was 'One Million years B.C' - she was a cutie! Back in the days I collected pin-up pics, I had many of her!

Click images for larger version

Last edited by Northern Lights; 02-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Guest Guest
    Also, the first time I ever saw a photo of her (before I saw any of her movies) she was a corpse! (It was in one of Kenneth Anger's 'Hollywood Babylon' books!
    I wonder if there has been a biography written about her? Can we get a pic of her grave?

Lol Ruby! I understand!

i wish i could see her face better. she looks like she is sleeping.

- The Byrds

Guest Guest

Yes, that would have been a great shot! I wonder if her eyes were open or closed.

That's what I thought.I've never heard of her,she was very pretty.
    Last edited by **Jenna**; 08-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Can we get a pic of her grave?

What a wonderful, sad thread!
    I have to say that on a slightly humorous note, that when I looked at the pic of the two detectives bending over her and was instantly reminded of Dennis Farina in "Crime Story." That was a short lived series that fascinated me--I loved the fact that it was set in the 50's and this story would have made a perfect plot.

That's a shame, she wasn't even 30 years old.

Beautiful woman, sad story. Hollywood Dream gone sour.

Kind of sad seeing her buried a few inches from the kerb.

Beautiful. With the childhood she had it's a wonder she survived as long as she did.

She has sad eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Beautiful. With the childhood she had it's a wonder she survived as long as she did.

She has sad eyes.
    When I read about her childchood, I thought it was the saddest part (I read much longer story but it was too long to put here).