Thread: Duke York (suicide)

Guest Guest

Post Duke York (suicide)

Duke York (October 17, 1908 – January 24, 1952), was an American film actor. Born in Danby, New York, York was born Charles Everest Sinsabaugh. He appeared in nearly 160 films between 1932 and 1952.

Modern viewers will remember York for his portrayals of grotesque monsters, ape men, or other scary goon-like characters in Three Stooges short films such as Three Little Twirps, Idle Roomers, Shivering Sherlocks, and Who Done It?. His most prominent non-monster role was as Kelly in Higher Than a Kite. York also played the role of King Kala in the serial Flash Gordon.

York committed suicide in 1952 by shooting himself in the head. He was 43.

Guest Guest
    I can't recall seeing Duke in anything other than Stooges stuff! I've seen all the old Flash Gordons, but can't picture King Kala. (Note to self - Add to youtube list!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I can't recall seeing Duke in anything other than Stooges stuff! I've seen all the old Flash Gordons, but can't picture King Kala. (Note to self - Add to youtube list!)
    Thank You for the information thought I was the only person
    who enjoyed the Three Stooges.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Thank You for the information thought I was the only person
    who enjoyed the Three Stooges.
    I enjoy them too, I also love to see all the different character actors they worked with! I never tire of good comedy!

I like the Stooges and like Vlad watched them to see the character/supporting players.

Duke York, Film Tough Guy, Suicide
    HOLLYWOOD, Jan. 25, 1952

Duke York, 43-year-old film tough guy killed himself early today with a bullet through his head in his Hollywood apartment where he kept a picture of the girl who he said he "couldn't go on without any longer."

A small revolver was beside the body on a couch, and on a coffee table nearby was a photograph, identified by police as that of Catherine Moench.

A note found under it read in part:

"Cathy—I cannot go on without you any longer ... I love you more than life itself as you can see. Remember also, I love you."

The letter was signed “The Old Goat.”

The actor’s body was found with the telephone receiver lying across his chest. A few minutes after police arrived, it rang.

“You’re all right, I see,” a woman’s voice said.

The officer who answered identified himself.

“So…..he did it.” The woman hung up.

Later, Miss Moench disclosed that she was the woman on the phone, and that she earlier had pleaded for three hours over the telephone for York not to kill himself. She was in her Beverly Hills apartment at the time and was helpless to stop him, finally hearing the fatal shot. She said she immediately phoned actor George Cleveland, a friend of York’s who found the body and called police.

Guest Guest
    Thanks for the extra info TheMasterKey. Very sad. I don't get how somebody would want to off themselves over the love of another. There are so many more to choose from! Poor guy!
    I'm guessing the friend was the George Cleveland of 'Lassie' fame?

Yep, that's the George who popped into my mind.

the three stooges were really cool. i did not know he shot himself in the head. well. thanks for the info.