Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavenly Creatures - Parker/Hulme Murder

Heavenly Creatures - Parker/Hulme Murder

I thought this movie was a very haunting portrayal of these real life teenaged murderers, Pauline Parker and Juliette Hulme... They bashed in the head of Pauline's mother, Honora...

Both women were released from prison years ago, both with new names... Juliette is now Anne Perry, a well known author!

Any New Zealanders here???
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

Is this the Anne Perry you mean?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-3550156-7259232?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Anne+Perry

And do you have any links to their crime?
    Tact is for those who are bad at sarcasm.

OMG! I was just thinking about this case tonight. Here's a link to the case.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...lme/index.html

Great movie - Heavenly Creatures". I love Kate Winslet.

Apparently all the lesbian stuff that happened between them wasn't "true" - according to one or the other...but I think Pauline's diaries speak for themselves...

The girl who played Pauline Parker is on the TV show Two and Half Men, as Charlie's wacky neighbor, Rose.

Terrible I only saw part of the movie.

They are out?? wtf?? Jeesh! That reminds me of the two boys who kidnapped the little boy from the mall and killed him and left him on the train tracks.... and bother are now free and protected and given new lives....whats with the justice system today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    They are out?? wtf?? Jeesh! That reminds me of the two boys who kidnapped the little boy from the mall and killed him and left him on the train tracks.... and bother are now free and protected and given new lives....whats with the justice system today.
    yup they both only served 5 years, and were released on the condition that they never saw each other again.... both girls hit honora with the brick, so i was glad to see that they got the same sentence, since Pauline was poor and Juliette was rich!

yup, Juliette does write novels as Anne Perry... murderess to best selling author! amazing... to her credit she does still admit to what they did and doesn't shove the blame off on Pauline...

i tend to think there was some strong passion in their relationship... whether or not it was a full blown lesbian relationship, only they know...

i have a version of the movie, but would love to get the director's cut... apparently it is more graphic... and you know how we death hags love graphicness!
    The Simpsons Movie

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    i have a version of the movie, but would love to get the director's cut... apparently it is more graphic... and you know how we death hags love graphicness!
    I had no idea there was different version. I just bought the "Uncut" version off of Amazon - thanks for the heads-up on that!
    Last edited by Aries65; 11-16-2007 at 05:55 AM.

http://www.anneperry.net/

i love the movie "heavenly creatures" very good. that's the link to her official website, he biography is very vague.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

A few years ago, someone went through Anne's books and analyzed them-it was just opinion. Yet, they had some interesting finds seeing the writing knowing the author had been involved in murder.

Anne Perry (Juliet Hulme) talking about the murder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_oYT9mvChw

Never heard of this murder before now, interesting, thanks.

Member since 10/10/07

I loved, loved, loved this movie and became a huge Kate Winslet fan. I asked my Mom about the movie and she HATED it. I asked her why and it was because they had killed a Mom. I figured that maybe it was a "mom" reaction and since I'm not a mom, it didn't hit me the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    Anne Perry (Juliet Hulme) talking about the murder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_oYT9mvChw
    awesome, thanks for posting... never occured to me that she'd be interviewed on film about the details of the moider!!
    The Simpsons Movie

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    awesome, thanks for posting... never occured to me that she'd be interviewed on film about the details of the moider!!
    You're welcome. And thank you for starting this thread on this topic. Ever since seeing the movie, I have been fascinated with this case.

Heavenly creatures

Hey

I live in Christchurch,New Zealand

Brought up on the Parker/Hulme murders, if you want more info go the the christchurch city council library page very interesting. also some Aussie guy has got a good web page showing his trip to Chch www.anthonylarme.tripod.com.I am in my thirties and I have aunties that spent time in Cashmere Santorium with Juliet, said she was right up her self cow,thought she was better than everyone. Very sad story these days murders are in the paper everyday and soon forgotten about, but these ladies are still suffering, Paulines family still live in Christchurch apparently and I know from magazine articles they wish they had of left. Christchurch is a very narrow minded place. Paulines new name is Hilary Nathan and she lives in Scotland and is a recluse,
    Last edited by Ma Baker; 11-17-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Baker View Post
    Hey

I live in Christchurch,New Zealand

Brought up on the Parker/Hulme murders, if you want more info go the the christchurch city council library page very interesting. also some Aussie guy has got a good web page showing his trip to Chch www.anthonylarme.tripod.com.I am in my thirties and I have aunties that spent time in Cashmere Santorium with Juliet, said she was right up her self cow,thought she was better than everyone. Very sad story these days murders are in the paper everyday and soon forgotten about, but these ladies are still suffering, Paulines family still live in Christchurch apparently and I know from magazine articles they wish they had of left. Christchurch is a very narrow minded place. Paulines new name is Hilary Nathan and she lives in Scotland and is a recluse,
    welcome to the board, ma!
    The Simpsons Movie

I remember this story; it was very weird. The girls had a shared fantasy world that they lived in. There were also suggestions of homosexual behavior that I don't think was proven, but was cited as a potential reason that Honora wanted to separate the girls. It actually doesn't surprise me much that Hulme became a successful author because the amount of detail in their fantasy world, where they were heroines and princesses. The crime library link that Suzanne30 has a lot of details on it. I'm going to go check out Ma Baker's anthonylame link!

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
    I remember this story; it was very weird. The girls had a shared fantasy world that they lived in. There were also suggestions of homosexual behavior that I don't think was proven, but was cited as a potential reason that Honora wanted to separate the girls. It actually doesn't surprise me much that Hulme became a successful author because the amount of detail in their fantasy world, where they were heroines and princesses. The crime library link that Suzanne30 has a lot of details on it. I'm going to go check out Ma Baker's anthonylame link!
    aw dang, link is broken

A really great interview....but jeesh lady you wacked an innocnet lady in the head until she was dead....maybe she should be a bit more humbled....she only KILLED SOMEONE!!!

I had no idea Juliet is Anne Perry! I've read a few of her books but never did any research on her.
    Here are Pauline and Juliet before the trial:

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    I had no idea Juliet is Anne Perry! I've read a few of her books but never did any research on her.
    Here are Pauline and Juliet before the trial:

I remember I was pretty shocked when I read that last part of the article on the crime library site about her being Ann Perry now. What a life she has had huh. First a real life killer and now an accomplished author.

Kiwi here!!
    I visit Victoria Park, where the murder took place, reasonably often. Its a gorgeous area, and we actually scattered my Mums ashes up there, and planted a memorial tree for her recently. I did check that it wasn't around the murder area though!

Even the wee visitor centre up at Victoria Park has a feature about the Parker-Hulme murder.

I refuse to read Anne Perry's books simply because she basically got away with murder.

Here yah go---- someone tracked Pauline "Hilary Nathan" Parker to her adopted hometown in England. Back in 1997, she was running a riding school for children, living very privately, kept to herself, was such a devout Catholic she attempted to join a convent. She has claimed never to have contacted Juliet "Anne Perry" Hulme since their release. She was writing regularly to her sister, with whom she had once been close.
    The entire blog article (with a photo) here:

http://community.livejournal.com/fou...rld/46137.html

This was written by the Abrams chap whose other site has since vanished:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/S...ary/7.9.5.html

Of course, that revelation was 12 years ago. Now both of the women are about 70.

The creepiest part is reading some of the comments which defend the vicious crime because the girls' so-called "love" was "pure" and anyway, how much worse was it than ancient priests performing ritual sacrifices or burning witches? Or something.

Just watched the movie tonight. Great film. They sure did have short sentences though.
    How crazy that Juliet is now a very published author and Pauline leads the life of a recluse.

Interesting case, Does anyone have the correct link for crimelibrary?
    “What will I be doing in twenty years' time?
    I'll be dead, darling!
    Are you crazy?”

-Freddie Mercury

I dont get this one ......I mean wtf ....and I mean how about a bit or remorse my God!

I've never read Anne Perry. I wonder if any of her books has a plot line similar to the murder?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

I am a latecomer to this thread and wanted to make a comment to SueWahoo above.

I am a mom, and I have twin girls about the ages of Pauline and Juliet. I loved the film. It affected me very deeply, because my girls have emotional problems and they have been violent a few times.

But I didn't hate the movie simply because a "mom" got killed--maybe what your mother felt was fear and mis-interpreted it as hate. If you're going to judge a film, you need to try to be objective, even if the material hits close to home.

I remember seing the film many years ago.. and I have been a Kate Winslet fan ever since... and the other girl was amazing as well - have seen her a couple of times since in other films. Very Interesting case... and fascinating how they have lived under other identities for some many years and how thety were discovered. Wonder if they ever did contact each other... Wish the link worked

Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I remember seing the film many years ago.. and I have been a Kate Winslet fan ever since... and the other girl was amazing as well - have seen her a couple of times since in other films. Very Interesting case... and fascinating how they have lived under other identities for some many years and how thety were discovered. Wonder if they ever did contact each other... Wish the link worked

The other actress is Rose from two and a half men...

Quote Originally Posted by lynn wilson View Post
    The other actress is Rose from two and a half men...
    Yep! She was great in the film and great as Rose too
    I'll be dead, darling!
    Are you crazy?”

-Freddie Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    The court ordered them to never contact each again. I assume if they did they would be sent back to jail.

Wasn't Kate fabulous? And she was so young!
    I'll be dead, darling!
    Are you crazy?”

-Freddie Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by octobersky View Post
    Yep! She was great in the film and great as Rose too
    She's also in one of my fav movies, Ever After as one of the step sisters.
    No on 8

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I refuse to read Anne Perry's books simply because she basically got away with murder.

Ditto.

"Heavenly Creatures" was on again last night, so I had to come here and bump this thread. This case never ceases to amaze me! From all accounts, in New Zealand, this case is the equivalent of the OJ Simpson trial. A fascinating, yet very creepy, look into the mind of teenage girls. I've loved Kate Winslet ever since I first saw this movie.

yeah scerw this bitch and her books..you killed someone lady! Great movie lol! Horrile person.

I was just talking about this case on Saturday with my future FIL. He's a fan of Anne Perry, but didn't know her history. I haven't seen Heavenly Creatures yet, but I hope to.

Finally, someone to speak for the victim Honora, whatever her flaws or faults. This attacked mother signed herself "left4dead".
    (I kept the fractured spelling-- if you had this woman's problems you'd spell badly too-- but broke it up into paragraphs for easier reading.)

BTW, "Hilary Nathan" apparently left the area where she used to have her riding school and moved to Scotland.

http://community.livejournal.com/fou...rld/46137.html

I am a mother of a VERY similair child as both the characters in "Heavenly creatures". We all are fascinated by the real & the fictional accounts of lives we would never in a milllion years live, it's human nature. It's a morbid fascination of what we wouldn't carry out ourselves.

My story, is VERY similiar, my daughter tried to kill me. I look for no pity, i feel no savage feelings towards her, BUT i will NEVER in my lifetine ~ for what is left ~ have any contact with her. People may feel i am lucky, after all i survived my attack, but that day altered the rest of my remaining life in a way i will never be allowed to forget. I have suffered strokes,brain damage,i take seizures and that's not to mention the physichal scarring left.

They ~ her grilfriend & herself ~ decided,for better known reasons, that i was to die I will never truly know.I have read many postings about pauline & julia' suffering & payment for their crimes.I have a voice, i am lucky in that respect, but pauline' mother has no voice.

At first i found it very hard to cope with what happened,the deformities,the illness,the disability left behind....not to mention the nightmares i still have almost 4 years on.I try hard to put it where it belongs ~ in the past. It is "passed" i cannot undo that night and if i could believe me i would.I will never forgive what happened to me, nor will i forget being handed my ear and being told "you love being pretty, well you're not so pretty now".

Her last statement was i was "done",she never spoke a truer word.I have a voice indeed that's true, but i have no life. I am now a total recluse,untrusting of people ~ after all if someone as close to you as a child/parent/sibling can do this horror what can an outsider.My life stopped that night and forever more i will live with the horror,the fear & disbelief that one human can do to another that which was done to me.

No matter what, it is wrong to hurt another human,kill another human. Yes there are mitigating circumstances i am no fool, but for the reasons they acted out because of their great love & fear of seperation ~ truly is that enough to take a life? My reasons for being what i am now were similar,but different in some aspects & i as the mother of one of them say this and mean this ~ she is evil/bad and also too egotistical/paranoid, very like these 2 very real characters.

I WAS there, when she transmogrified into something i had never seen in my life before. The point to writing this i am unsure, but it's a cautionary tale and a true one and i survived so i can tell you now, that the doctors were amazed i had, as were emergency services.I received 40 odd blows, one blow broke my cheekbone and put it through my face, blinded that eye and more.

She didn't end life as in me LIVING, but she definitely gave me a life sentence. For the rest of her life she will have the knowledge she no longer has a mother.How can i be? How can i put my arms round her? How could i feel safe being near her?I can't that is the straight answer.I feel qualified to say, people act in ways maybe they don't even understand,but 5 years for taking a life?? To me a survivor it's a joke!I will not nor cannot forget, all i have to do is look in the mirror.Or try to get through the day without my myriad of medications & i remember.

Whilst Juliet & Pauline have lives,that woman never lived hers and Juliet does seem cold,unremorseful & as if she is distancing herself from what happened.Had they got away with it, would they still be togther? And am i wrong that Pauline now lives in Scotland?Near Juliet!?!?! I'm glad they have made successes of their lives & glad they live in such forgiving communities. I however, as a vitim, will NEVER forgive....nor be allowed to forget.

It seems to me that there is such empathy for these people REALLY because let's face it while a true story,is a representation of another' understanding.After all, truly, the only people who REALLY know the ins and outs of the whole truth are 3 people,one can't comment.My sympathy & empathy lies with the third prematurely silenced member of this trio.Thank you for listening

Last edited by Linnie; 03-24-2010 at 05:20 PM.

I watched the movie on YouTube last night. It was pretty intense, and I really felt sorry for Honoria. Afterwards, I watched a short interview Ian Rankin did with Anne Perry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_oYT9mvChw . She comes across (in my mind) as not very contrite.

I agree, I don't think Anne Parry seems remorseful whatsoever. I would definitely not buy one of her books, but I do admit to being curious about reading stories that comes from the mind of a true killer.
    No on 8

Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    "Heavenly Creatures" was on again last night, so I had to come here and bump this thread. This case never ceases to amaze me! From all accounts, in New Zealand, this case is the equivalent of the OJ Simpson trial. A fascinating, yet very creepy, look into the mind of teenage girls. I've loved Kate Winslet ever since I first saw this movie.

I wouldnt exactly say the equivalent of the OJ case over here.

I always thought that if their bond had been so strong they would kill not to be seperated, then the chances of them not contacting each other was pretty slim. They did both end up living not far from each other at one point.

Here's a link to all things "Heavenly Creatures" - which sheds light on everything and compares real-life to the movie. Something I found fascinating was how the director insisted on finding actors for the movie that closely resembled the actual people. Kate Winslet DOES look a bit like the real Juliet (when she was young), and the one who played her father in the movie - is almost dead on! Freaky!

http://www.adamabrams.com/hc/

Is it common for criminals in British Commonwealth nations to receive new identities when they are released? I recall that it happened with James Bulger's killers as well.

In case anyone was curious - here's a comparison between the theatrical and uncut version of the movie:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4601

I love this webpage!

I love that Heavenly Creatures is coming out on blu-ray uncut on Dec. 13th. Yay!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heaven...Blu-ray/30318/

I prefer the theatrical cut myself. I hate that they added that bloody face thing at the end.

Linnie, you are a very brave woman. You are also very smart, to cut yourself off from someone who has betrayed your love and tried to take your life,. A mothers love is a deep one and even when a child betrays that love and hurts you, there is that tendancy to forgive. This woman never got that chance to forgive ,as she was brutallly murdered. I think if she had survived that she would have done what you have done. It hurts to lose a child and the way that you have lost yours is just so horribly sad,. I think you are a brave woman who has gone on with her life ,living with physical and mental pain as a reminder to all that was taken from you,
    God Bless you.

this is one of my favorite cases...it just seems so incredibly senseless. I so wish that Juliet Hulme (Anne Perry now) would discuss her relationship with Pauline but she is very quiet these days are rarely if ever discusses the murder (and never in any detail).

Whoa -- murderers I haven't already read about?
    Wow!

I thought this thread was for -- you know that show "Wicked Attractions" (or Deadly Women?) -- the episode where the sisters drown their hard-working mother in a bathtub. That was pretty bad, since their mother was working herself ragged to keep these P'sOS comfortable.

Anyway, thanks for the find... good reading there.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)