Thread: Robert B. Parker

Robert B. Parker

Robert B. Parker author of The Spencer for Hire series and The Jesse Stone series has died at age 77, he died of a heart attack, his wife found him at his writing desk upon returning from a walk, he is survived by his wife and their 2 sons.

Holy shit hella noooooooooo!
    Do not knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Oh, no. That's too bad.
    peek-a-boo!!

He's one of my fave authors, right up there second only to John D. MacDonald.

I was hoping it was just a rumor. Apparently not.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/..._b_parker.html

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Son of a bitch! He was a really nice man and I attended a class he gave on Dashiel Hammet.
    Crap he was my favorite author of that genre and trust me he WAS Spenser. Oh I am really upset about this.
    I am glad he died writing and I am glad his wife found him. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He was devoted to her to the point of obsession and they had a rocky but interesting partnership.
    I wonder how they will wind up the series? Cindy should they let Spenser just continue on with no resolution like Travis Mcgee sitting on the busted flush sipping Boodles?
    Maybe Spenser, Susan, Hawk and Pearl will just always be eating a great meal and exchanging stories in every great bistro in Boston.
    Sigh!
    Regards,
    Mary
    PS
    His Western Novels written later in life are as good as anything written by Zane Gray or Louie Lamour. Gunman's Rhapsody and Appolosa are definately worth a read.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 01-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Son of a bitch! He was a really nice man and I attended a class he gave on Dashiel Hammet.
    Crap he was my favorite author of that genre and trust me he WAS Spenser. Oh I am really upset about this.
    I am glad he died writing and I am glad his wife found him. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way. He was devoted to her to the point of obsession and they had a rocky but interesting partnership.
    I wonder how they will wind up the series? Cindy should they let Spenser just continue on with no resolution like Travis Mcgee sitting on the busted flush sipping Boodles?
    Maybe Spenser, Susan, Hawk and Pearl will just always be eating a great meal and exchanging stories in every great bistro in Boston.
    Sigh!
    Regards,
    Mary
    We can hope, Mary. I don't think I would read a book written by someone else with one of the cops as the point of view, showing how, say, the Gray Man killed them all. (Unless GM got killed off in another book. I can't remember. ) I hope there's at least another book coming out. No, just remembered, GM was not killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    We can hope, Mary. I don't think I would read a book written by someone else with one of the cops as the point of view, showing how, say, the Gray Man killed them all. (Unless GM got killed off in another book. I can't remember. ) I hope there's at least another book coming out. No, just remembered, GM was not killed off.
    No he let Gray man get away with his daughter remember?
    I agree. Even Hawk telling the story wouldn't work for me.
    His Jesse Stone stuff was great and Tom Sellek was perfext as Jesse.
    Really bummed out by this.
    Regards,
    Mary

No he let Gray man get away with his daughter remember?
    I agree. Even Hawk telling the story wouldn't work for me.
    His Jesse Stone stuff was great and Tom Sellek was perfext as Jesse.
    Really bummed out by this.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I do remember he got away with his daughter.

Love Jesse Stone stuff, too. If someone had to die, why couldn't it have been Charles Manson? Geez.

Mary, was Parker's wife, Joan, an author too? Some one on another site asked me, but I couldn't find any info on wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Mary, was Parker's wife, Joan, an author too? Some one on another site asked me, but I couldn't find any info on wiki.
    She was a therapist like Susan as best I knew. They had a big house that had seperate and common areas. They were seperated for a while and when they reconciled it was a can't like together and can't live apart.
    I think they really loved each other but it had to be a bit hard because he seemed to track and act out whatever was going on in their married life through his characters.
    At least that was what I heard from the owner of Kate's Mystery books in Cambridge who knew Parker rather well.
    Regards,
    Mary

She was a therapist like Susan as best I knew. They had a big house that had seperate and common areas. They were seperated for a while and when they reconciled it was a can't like together and can't live apart.
    I think they really loved each other but it had to be a bit hard because he seemed to track and act out whatever was going on in their married life through his characters.
    At least that was what I heard from the owner of Kate's Mystery books in Cambridge who knew Parker rather well.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Sounds like Spenser and Susan. Thanks for the info, Mary.

Hey, Spencer fans! Ace Atkins has picked up the torch with a new Spencer book, Lullaby, coming out in May. I pre-ordered mine on amazon.com. Hope it is good!

Got my copy of Lullaby this week and I devoured it. Having been written by another author--Ace Atkins--I could not believe it was so Spenser. Rip roaring read!