Thread: The Santa Claus, Georgia Murders

The Santa Claus, Georgia Murders

Jerry Scott Heidler is the subject of the book "Fear Came to Town" by Doug Crandell. It's about this young man who murdered basically the only people who'd ever cared about him, Foster parents Danny & Kim Daniels, along with their 16 year old daughter and 8 year old son. He kidnapped 3 little girls in the family and molested one of them.

Read more here:

http://www.cybersleuths.com/features/features1199.html

I remember when this happened. Have to read the book. Thanks for sharing!
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.--Vincent Van Gogh

Love your pup! and yeah--it's a great read. Heidler's another one (was just talking on the other thread about John Battaglia) on Death Row..that I'm like..what are we waiting for??

Thanks!
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.--Vincent Van Gogh

What a coincidence-I just finished the book recently. It's very good IMHO. However, it never mentioned the theory that Jessica had and broke off a brief relationship with Heidler as the reason for the murders. The book does mention that Jerry was asked not to return to the Daniels home because Danny was concerned over the attention Heidler was showing his daughter. Also according to the book, Heidler was with the mother of his child the night/day before the murders. The child had been stillborn, and the funeral a day or so before the murders. Another part of his defense involved the severe neglect he experienced as a child. His mother told everyone she practiced witchcraft or Satanism or both-can't remember. She was definitely a lunatic, though.

Kim Daniels had also come from a terrible childhood, and had lost her kids and had severe addiction problems. Kim found God, cleaned up her act, married Danny, became stepmom to Jessica, got her kids back, and decided she wanted to help kids through becoming a foster parent. She was considered a model foster parent from some of the very same state workers that took her kids.

Whew-didn't mean to dump all that out, just to say it's a tragic, but interesting story.

I can remember when this sick bastard did this. Also reminds me a bit of the Moss Family Murders in Jones County...there is a thread here somewhere on that too. The Moss Family Murders happened about 17 miles from where my grandmother lived.

Seagorath--thanks for the head's up. I'll have to look for that thread.

Maxy--the book mentions that Heidler was interested in Jessica and tried to get her alone to talk but made it seem that Jessica rebuffed all his advances (didn't want to be alone with him, etc.). Danny intervened because Heidler was not taking the hints Jessica was giving him.

Jerry Scott Heidler had LOTS of bad things happen to him in his life...yes, his child was stillborn, he was the offspring of alocoholic and abusive parents who never got him to dr. appointments, etc. BUT, as the book points out, murdered mom Kim Daniels had many of the same issues in her life, but she chose to clean up and live a life that mattered. Heidler chose otherwise and is paying the price.

Gonna have to add this book to the must read list. Sounds like a very sick puppy !!

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

This case is VERY disturbing when you look into it. When folks suffer during their childhood...they just need to find the inner strength and "fortitude" to move forward without ruining the lives of others. This guy was a LOSER from Day 1. He had SO, SO many opportunities in life.

The link in the first post no longer works. Can someone direct me to an active link? Thanks

This ONE horrible crime has pretty much tarnished this small Georgia town. People can't mention Santa Claus, Georgia without mentioning this. The demon who did it will burn forever I hope.