Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trainer dies at Seaworld

I will not be going to sea world ever again I live like ten mins away, someone gave me tickets to go and I said thanks but no thanks then proceeded to tell them about Blackfish and how Tillicum is treated now.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer.

Ugh. I am watching Blackfish right now. I am not even 15 min. into it and I am sick to my stomach and crying. I don't even really get this reaction to most crimes, but this fisherman or whatever talking about taking the baby Orca's and the other Orca's staying there even when they could leave and communication with each other. It's horrible. Horrible. We suck.

Stronger than I am. I can look at death photos and videos all day, but I will break my leg bolting to change the channel when one of those ASPCA commercials comes on.

Oh God, I know. I have to turn that off too.

Another heartbreaking part of this film is when they take the babies who were born at SeaWorld away from the moms. The moms isolate themselves in a corner, shaking and crying out. They had someone come in to analyze the noises and found they were long wave noises or something like that. Basically the mom was just crying out to find her baby. It's so sad. At the same time I love to see the footage of these amazing creatures in the wild. They are so beautiful and amazing. They said that the Orca have an extra part of their brain that is for emotions, and they basically are just emotional creatures. It really sucks to tear them apart. It hurts them.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Ugh. I am watching Blackfish right now. I am not even 15 min. into it and I am sick to my stomach and crying. I don't even really get this reaction to most crimes, but this fisherman or whatever talking about taking the baby Orca's and the other Orca's staying there even when they could leave and communication with each other. It's horrible. Horrible. We suck.
    I just can't watch it.

I did end up liking some parts of it. I like to see the Orcas swim, and watch how they interact with their trainers. They are so sweet. You can tell the trainers realy love those Whales and that they do respond to them. Animals are still animals though. And the research they have done and stuff like that was interesting. How they travel in pods and their adult chilren stay with them all the time. It was sad when they took away the babies. Its sad watching SeaWorld workers tell guests that the Orca live to an average age of 25-30 and that's longer than they do in the wild, when they can live up to 100 in the wild. They have very human lifespans.

I'd still recommend to watch it. It's definitely a good show. Just sad. But it is going on. So people should be aware of it.

Yeah Bette, a friend of mine went to Sea World here after watching Blackfish, when the person was giving the talk about the life span being only 30-35 years, and the longer than the wild, my friend goes, Um that is not true, they can live to 100 in the wild and they are not happy being in captivity, Let's just say my friend was asked to go somewhere else.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~

SeaWorld is increasing the size of their whale habitats. As PETA says, a bigger prison is still a prison.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/15/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

They are so intelligent too. It's like being in lockdown in the joint for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPge_0lea3o

This is the act of an intelligent critter acting as a team. Anti-seal team six.

A lot of you have said that you've gotten to see Blackfish. I'd highly recommend reading the book "Death at Sea World". It not only talks about Dawn and all the issues that have happened with Tillie, but the other half talks about people who have spent time observing Killer Whales in the wild. It's a really informative companion piece to Blackfish.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    A lot of you have said that you've gotten to see Blackfish. I'd highly recommend reading the book "Death at Sea World". It not only talks about Dawn and all the issues that have happened with Tillie, but the other half talks about people who have spent time observing Killer Whales in the wild. It's a really informative companion piece to Blackfish.
    Thank you for the tip! I totally want to check that out now...
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

SeaWorld will never breed another orca. This is wonderful news.

https://www.thedodo.com/seaworld-sto...667873084.html
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    SeaWorld will never breed another orca. This is wonderful news.

https://www.thedodo.com/seaworld-sto...667873084.html
    Finally.

Growing up in San Diego, I can't tell you how many times we went to Sea World. Then I took my kids several times here in Texas. I have to say after watching the documentary Black Fish, I'm embarrassed that I went there and won't go again.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I've only been to Seaworld once in my life and I enjoyed it there as a child but as an adult I don't see the greatness of keeping a Whale in captivity. Glad they are finally giving up the Whale shows and breeding.

My husband was telling me he read or heard that Seaworld was also not going to do killer whale shows.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    My husband was telling me he read or heard that Seaworld was also not going to do killer whale shows.
    I heard that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I heard that as well.
    Yup it's true. Time to lock the doors and sell the property to PETA.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

While I realize it's not fair to keep them in captivity, seeing the orcas was honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm sad that it had to be at their expense. I'd love to see them in the wild. They are truly majestic.

Tilikum has died. May he rest in peace. I hate to say this, but if he had never killed Dawn Brancheau it would probably be business as usual at SeaWorld today.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/sea...ies/index.html

His suffering is over.

Glad he is free.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Animals in captivity are like slaves on the plantation. They get the security of food and shelter at the price of freedom except they have no say in the preference. I never go to the circus and when I take the family to the zoo I feel like I am selling a small part of my soul for the entertainment and education of the kids. The fish, lizards and bugs I don't mind so much.