Thread: Carol Fay Ellison: The Biscuit Lady

Carol Fay Ellison: The Biscuit Lady

Biscuit Lady Dies

(click link for video)

Carol Fay Ellison, better known as Loveless Cafe's Biscuit Lady, died on Monday after a 3-week hospitalization. She was 48.

Ellison began her career at Loveless Cafe as a dishwasher when she was a teenager. Owner Tom Morales said she went on to become the face of the restaurant with her made-from-scratch biscuits and preserves.

The Nashville native competed against celebrity chef Bobby Flay on the Food Network's Throwdown! and made biscuits with Conan O'Brien and Martha Stewart, among numerous other television stars.
    "Carol Fay embodied the best things that people think about Nashville that we're a friendly, unique place full of talent," Nashville Mayor Karl Dean said. "She was a great ambassador for our city."

After several years working as a dishwasher, buser and line cook, Ellison started baking biscuits at Loveless in 1987. Ellison who learned how to make biscuits by watching her mother fiercely guarded her recipe.
    She would say only that the recipe came from previous owners of the Loveless Cafe and that she tweaked it a bit by adding a secret ingredient.
    Morales said that secret ingredient was love.
    "She put pride in it. She put love in it," Morales said. "That's what made them so good."
    'She was full of love'

John Egerton, author of Southern Food, said Ellison's biscuits reminded people of what they hold dear.

"She made biscuits that made people think, 'This is the way my grandmother or mother made them,' " Egerton said. "She called up the memory of what biscuits ought to taste like on a cold, frosty morning."
    Morales said more than Ellison's biscuits, he was going to miss her smile and her hugs, which she gave freely to everyone.

"She was bigger than life. She always had a smile," he said. "She was full of love. She always looked to the bright side of things."
    Angie Gore of Kaleidoscope Media said she was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, who did not wish to speak to The Tennessean. Gore declined to say how and where Ellison died, as did Morales.
    Funeral arrangements for Ms. Ellison have not been made.
    The recipe for the biscuits isn't gone Morales said Ellison shared it with the staff.

And as cookbook author Daisy King said, "The biscuits can continue to be made, but they'll be made in her memory."

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

Sad. Her boss seems genuinely moved by her passing.

I'm really curious about how she died though. 48 is far too young.
    Fuck Off. We're Full.

They keep saying the family is keeping it quiet. That makes me very curious too! It occurred to me this morning it may be something that would freak people out b/c she was in food service.

Bisquick poisoning
    "My dixie wrecked, ... can ya help a brother out?"

That's too bad. That was one of my fav throw downs.

I've only had what you guys call a biscuit once before in my life (here, a biscuit is the same as a cookie) but just from looking at her picture, and the pleasure she appears to have brought to people, you have to be touched by her death.

It must be a serious personal and cultural loss for the community.
    Fuck Off. We're Full.

Any clue what happened to her??
    Food poisoning? Too many biscuits?
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by steffie View Post
    Any clue what happened to her??
    Food poisoning? Too many biscuits?
    A flaky crescent roll was taken in for questioning.

I'm thinking cause of death was acute lard intoxication (only the best biscuits are made with lard)
    Are you a badfish too?

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I've only had what you guys call a biscuit once before in my life (here, a biscuit is the same as a cookie) but just from looking at her picture, and the pleasure she appears to have brought to people, you have to be touched by her death.

It must be a serious personal and cultural loss for the community.
    She was well known around here & people loved to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    A flaky crescent roll was taken in for questioning.
    hahahaaaaaa
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Mahatma Gandhi

I loved her on the biscuit throwdown with Bobby Flay, she was so happy and sweet and you could tell she loved what she was doing. RIP Carol Fay

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Just heard about this a couple of weeks ago. So sad. I ate at the Loveless Cafe 2 summers ago, when I was on vacation in Nashville. Her biscuits were Da Bomb! They were served with 3 kinds of homemade jams. I also had the fried chicken. Best damn fried chicken I ever had! I highly recommend the Loveless Cafe to anyone visiting Nashville. Biscuit Lady, you will be missed!