Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huckleberry Finn Published Without The N Word

Huckleberry Finn Published Without The N Word

Suck it.

Not a huge fan of people trying to rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerson View Post
    Not a huge fan of people trying to rewrite history.
    but history just isn't politically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    History has been anything but PC, but trying to rewrite it or simply sweep it under the rug won't change a thing.

White trash are the true ni**ers.
    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3176&dateline=1396157644 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1396157644</a>
    Dr. Wigglesworth Hijacks Andy Griffith Broadcast via WPXC in Jacksonville, Florida --->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W4v7vNfFI&list=UU0Lga9ep13H65gs7nmwLdCQ

"Never go to bed with anger in your heart." ~ Seagorath

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    White trash are the true ni**ers.

I saw some on Hoarders last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerson View Post
    History has been anything but PC, but trying to rewrite it or simply sweep it under the rug won't change a thing.
    writing history at all inherently biases the facts, this is a work of art and should not be rewritten for that reason alone; history has nothing to do with it.

It was the custom\language of the times.

I think maintain the original composition; but I am curious to know if any Black folks here (or any "Injuns"), are really offended by these words written so long ago?

Hell (ironically, to Christians), they "re-wrote" the Bible, why not this?

Just thinking it through...

Lovely.

oy vey.

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Back and forth between Pittsburgh and Tampa
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    Agree! The whole political correctness issue is going too far when they start messing up classic literature. Mark Twain would turn over in his grave if he saw this atrocity. Is reading classic literature a requirement in school these days (it was in mine)?

What's next, making history books more PC?
    "You are what you think. If you think and you know that you can make it, then you are going to make it"
    - Jeff Reed, former NFL kicker

There are lessons to be learned from the injustices of the past- like race prejudice. Better to leave the books alone and let people make up their own minds.

Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    There are lessons to be learned from the injustices of the past- like race prejudice. Better to leave the books alone and let people make up their own minds.
    Stop making sense. You'll scare the masses.

Really!

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    It was the custom\language of the times.

I think maintain the original composition; but I am curious to know if any Black folks here (or any "Injuns"), are really offended by these words written so long ago?

Hell (ironically, to Christians), they "re-wrote" the Bible, why not this?

Just thinking it through...
    I myself am black, I do not like the N word at all, and I dont think it should be used, but If it was in a book written long ago, why re write it? Best to leave it be, as the author intended it. I wouldn't like it if I wrote a book and someone wanted to change what I had written.

Mark Twain is spinning. I don't use that word, but if it's in a book, it's in a book. Mark Twain, Toni Morrison, Steinbeck, Harriet Beecher Stowe, lots of renowned authors have used it. Are we seriously considering going down that, very slippery slope? Once you start editing artistic license, you start screwing with freedoms.

Huckleberry Finn is possibly the first anti-racist book ever written. People need to know what happened and how things were. As with any other word, the offence is not in the word but in the intent behind it.

My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

Exactly, DR. Context, people, context! Anyone with a half a brain would know that. Unfortunately you can't trust the general public to think for themselves a lot of the time.

Though I abhor racial insults, this is ridiculous.

Setting a bad precedent with this one. When I read Huck Fin I admit that I was a little taken back by the language but it was all within the context of the times and in that time, it was accepted. To change it would be to alter the spirit of the book which would be a shame.

If anything, they could put a one paragraph disclaimer page in the front of the book that explains the culture of that era.

OMG, come on, Twain rewritten................If you don't like the material, don't read it.

Member since 10/10/07

Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    Nothing should be changed. It was historically correct for the time it was written in. Its not that difficult to explain to children. They are going way over the hill on this one. Mark Twain did an amazing job with his Literature. It should be respected and remain unchanged. An artist's death shouldn't give scholars or government the power to revoke the rights of the First Amendment for that artist's work.

Personally, I think it's stupid. If they're going to change that then take it out of rap and hip hop music... That's where it sounds disgusting.
    ♥♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    Personally, I think it's stupid. If they're going to change that then take it out of rap and hip hop music... That's where it sounds disgusting.
    Very good point!

If this keeps up future reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard will feature the General Lee without the Confederate flag on top.

Any good teacher - - a stipulation that would rule out many adults currently found in the front of classrooms, in my opinion - - will tell you that one of the lessons to be found in Mark Twain's book is the stark contrast between the unthinking ugliness of Huck's language and the fact that he and Jim become so close and dependent on each other's characters and personalities.

The moron who thought this up needs see if he can acquire a clue.
    “The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.”
    -George Bernard Shaw

Whoever is offended by this book is probably offended by darn near everything. If you remove the racial slurs, you miss the message. This book is a time capsule, it allows the reader to see how people were mistreated and discriminated against if you change it, you change the message. Some of my favorite books have the n word in them, roots, Malcom X's autiobiography, black boy by richard wright. If you lose that word, you lose the message and the meaning. Might as well put a pair of shorts on michaelangeos david cuz some folks dont like looking at weiners.
    Are you a badfish too?

A co-worker and I were talking about this. His exact words:

"It's not Huckleberry Finnthat's offensive... it's American history that is offensive, and accurately portrayed in the book."

So does this mean all books that show historical merit but have something "offensive" in them be edited? Scary thought.....
    We all march to a different drumbeat

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    Huckleberry Finn is possibly the first anti-racist book ever written. People need to know what happened and how things were. As with any other word, the offence is not in the word but in the intent behind it.
    I suspect that people who support this idiot have not ever even read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by xbluerosex View Post
    So does this mean all books that show historical merit but have something "offensive" in them be edited? Scary thought.....
    Plenty of books have offended me - most for just being badly written, but plenty were offensive to me morally. Instead of starting a national debate about it, I just close them & go on the next.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

We have had similar things done here in England. I'm not sure how many of you will be aware of Enid Blyton the author, but she was a favourite of mine when I was growing up and many of my friends from all sorts of ethnic backgrounds loved her work too. But her books have been heavily censored to the detriment of her stories. It all reminds me of 1984 and rewriting history.

As an avid reader and a reader that LOVES classics, I am appalled by this. I don't like the n-word and I don't like g** damn, but when I find them in a book, I just skim over them. I agree with everyone else (holy crap :0). It's literature reflecting the time in which it was written. Are we now to change "The Grapes of Wrath"? What about "Uncle Tom's Cabin" - this one you would just have to get rid of the entire book basically)? I could go on forever on the books that would need to be rewritten if this is the precident to be set.

And like Flowergrrl said above, if you want to make a change, take it out of the rap and hip hop community. And exile "bitch" and "ho" while you're at it.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

I do that too! I read words & entire scenes in books that I just skip over.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

Removing the N word from Huck Finn is like removing the word 'fuck' from Catcher in the Rye. Not cool.

Absurd.

It is the intent behind the word, not the word itself that inflicts injustice.

Children must learn, adults must remember.

Simply absurd.

The problem with "them" having censorship over books.

Where will it end, and who's to say.

As a person who loves to read hate to think about it
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

This is absolutely disgusting. And be sure that they won't stop there. What's the next book that will be the target? "Moby Dick" will be changed to "Moby Richard"?
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    This is absolutely disgusting. And be sure that they won't stop there. What's the next book that will be the target? "Moby Dick" will be changed to "Moby Richard"?
    Or as my Four year old neice use to say...... Moby the Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by xbluerosex View Post
    A co-worker and I were talking about this. His exact words:

"It's not Huckleberry Finnthat's offensive... it's American history that is offensive, and accurately portrayed in the book."

I don't see anything in your co-workers quote that suggests that 'offensive' history be edited out of books. Rather, he is stating that the writing is a reflection of contemporary sociatal values of that time. If these social values are repugnant to the reader, then by extension, societies values at that time were also repugnant.

I think your co-worker nailed it quite beautifully actually.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I'll be sure to read the sanitized version of Huck Finn as soon as I finish "Moby Penis" by Melville.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plan.

RIP DADDY 1/17/1925 - 5/26/2011
    RIP Momma 4/12/1930-5/13/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Removing the N word from Huck Finn is like removing the word 'fuck' from Catcher in the Rye. Not cool.

fucking A

and now for something completely different

Samuel Langhorne Clemens was good friends with Nikola Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I agree. It's also like the issue of the stamp of Bette Davis from "All About Eve" without her cigarette.
    History is history, leave it alone!
    Visit my blog to read my memoir "Monster In The Closet".
    I welcome your coments and input.

http://mymemoirmonsterinthecloset.blogspot.com/

omg...laughing so hard right now! that made my evening!

Huckleberry Finn Published Without The N Word

Huckleberry Fi ?

They need to leave them alone.. It is a part of our history, we can't change that fact. We have to learn from it. That is how the language was during the time period. Are they going to go and change all of them, ban all of the books that have objectable language or subject matter? If that is the case, are we not going to teach history at all???

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    huckleberry finn published without the n word

huckleberry fi ?

LMAO!
    Cindy

LMFAO!! I wish I could "Like" a post ala facebook.

Rest in Peace, Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Agree! The whole political correctness issue is going too far when they start messing up classic literature. Mark Twain would turn over in his grave if he saw this atrocity. Is reading classic literature a requirement in school these days (it was in mine)?

What's next, making history books more PC?
    Guess what, PurrPurr.......

http://www.bvblackspin.com/2011/01/1...nkusbv00000004

Quote Originally Posted by MissVondaKaye View Post

Believe or not, I have no words.
    Cindy

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    UUgghh rewriting Huck Finn?? Total BS, Just like they banned Little Black Sambo, it was first published in 1899. Someone got their chonies in a wad over the "sambo" part because it's a derogatory name. But like Huck Finn, it was the times in which it was written, plus the name of the little boy has been changed for different countries.

The story itself isn't derogatory just the title. If you come across this book in a yard sale or a thrift shop, grab that sucker, they are super hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by MissVondaKaye View Post
    The south went to war with the north to assert their 'right' to have slaves and few hundred thousand people died. Now they want to abolish it from textbooks? How weird.