Turned her head, and threw it up."
    I think I swallowed a bug.

"I told you I was sick."

"Here lies McGraw
    He was slow on the draw"

"Go away - I'm asleep"

"That's all folks!"

"Loser"
    Last edited by norah; 10-10-2007 at 07:22 AM.
    “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” - Michael Jackson

Here Lies Les Moore
    Two Slugs From A 44
    No Less
    No More

[from memory, but it's in Boot Hill]
    Take care,
    Harry

Memory of an accident in a Uniontown, Pennsylvania cemetery:[SIZE=2]
    Here lies the body
    of Jonathan Blake
    Stepped on the gas
    Instead of the brake.
    [/SIZE]
    At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual."
    Patrick Moore.

"Next Time, I Want to Direct!"

Grave of a small-time actress in Maryland

"Excuse my dust."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think I swallowed a bug.

Printed very small, so you have to stand right near the headstone to read it:

"You're standing on my balls."

My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

"pardon me for not getting up"

Humorous Headstones Site

Sorry if this has been posted
    elsewhere on the site:

http://www.gravesights.org/headstones.htm

Pretty funny stuff.
    Cheers,
    Doug

saw one , last name - Humpage

That's like those National Lampoon articles where people that are getting married have funny names. Like, Wolf-Spittle or Cox-Seaman.
    peek-a-boo!!

Talking 2 Funny head Stones

[SIZE=4]Hubby and I love driving around and looking at head stones...such beautiful art on them and then you find the ones that just make you giggle .....[/SIZE]

Ha, thanks for sharing! :P

Funny head Stones

[SIZE=4]Ok here is another one I ran across while going through my photos. [/SIZE]

Last one...lol

[SIZE=5]Ok..do you think his family got the point?[/SIZE]

funny tombstones

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:45 AM.

I think I remember reading about one tombstone that said "See, I told you I was sick"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    I think I remember reading about one tombstone that said "See, I told you I was sick"

[SIZE=4]Yep..it's located in Princeton NJ. It's the same place where President Grover Cleveland and his family is burried The Jose & Kitty Menendez are. If anyone ever gets the chance I suggest you visit. They have maps showing you where all the historic graves are and a background stories.[/SIZE]

This is a wall crypt at the end of the area where my Mom is buried.

I swear to you...this is ALL that's on it. And I was assured that there is, in fact, someone laid to rest there. LOL!

<3 Rest Well, pvezz. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    This is a wall crypt at the end of the area where my Mom is buried.

I swear to you...this is ALL that's on it. And I was assured that there is, in fact, someone laid to rest there. LOL!

[SIZE=5]LOL Now thats funny. Thanks![/SIZE]

It makes me smile every time I walk past it on my way back to the car from visiting with Momma...
    <3 Rest Well, pvezz. <3

Yea

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    It makes me smile every time I walk past it on my way back to the car from visiting with Momma...
    Ahhhhhh a little "pick me up" as your leaving.

DAMN IT! I was just trying to find the picture of me, my mom and daughter posing at my grandparents' grave. I think I lost it when my computer crashed. Son of a bitch!

I guess I'll have to ask Mom to send it to me.

I know it's kind of weird, but I thought you guys would appreciate it! My grandmother actually wanted to have a picture of herself sitting on her own stone, but died before she got a chance. On a side note, when she was picking out their stone and asked my grandfather (who found no humor in pre-purchasing your own stone), "What do you want on your tombstone?" He looked at her with the most serious look on his face and answered, "Pepperoni." Could you just die!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    DAMN IT! I was just trying to find the picture of me, my mom and daughter posing at my grandparents' grave. I think I lost it when my computer crashed. Son of a bitch!

I guess I'll have to ask Mom to send it to me.

I know it's kind of weird, but I thought you guys would appreciate it! My grandmother actually wanted to have a picture of herself sitting on her own stone, but died before she got a chance. On a side note, when she was picking out their stone and asked my grandfather (who found no humor in pre-purchasing your own stone), "What do you want on your tombstone?" He looked at her with the most serious look on his face and answered, "Pepperoni." Could you just die!!!!
    [SIZE=4]OMG....That would have been so cool. Maybe you could have someone photoshop a photo?[/SIZE]

Interesting Grave

When I was at the cemetary this weekend-I saw a grave and had to ask someone about it.
    It had two people's name,when they were married,a engraving of wedding rings, a glass globe with an angel and it was also a small bench.
    I found out the information about the death was on the back. The husband was buried there(he killed himself)
    For a long time his wife refused to do anything with the grave due to the fact she was still upset about him killing himself. She finally came to terms with it and had the grave created.
    Btw, on the grave, it invites people to sit and chat.

I suspect that sometimes it is more difficult to let go after a suicide....I know that's been the case in my family....maybe that would explain the delay....hopefully his widow reached some degree of peace with his choice. It's not easy....but what is?!?!

When I was at the cemetary this weekend-I saw a grave and had to ask someone about it.

I don't understand......It sounds like alot of graves I've seen ...do you mean because she didn't have the gravesite marked for awhile??

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    When I was at the cemetery this weekend-I saw a grave and had to ask someone about it.
    It had two people's name,when they were married,a engraving of wedding rings, a glass globe with an angel and it was also a small bench.
    I found out the information about the death was on the back. The husband was buried there(he killed himself)
    For a long time his wife refused to do anything with the grave due to the fact she was still upset about him killing himself. She finally came to terms with it and had the grave created.
    BTW, on the grave, it invites people to sit and chat.
    What I am getting from this is that, now that she is coming to terms with what he did, she comes there to sit and talk to him. She tells him her feelings and, perhaps, what went on that day.

I also think the invitation to chat is her way of encouraging couples, who might be passing by, to talk to each other about important things, before it's too late.

She's made her beloved's grave a quiet place for two other people to be deeply honest with each other, and avoid what she went through.

I think doing his grave like that was beautiful act. A (((HUG))) for her.
    Take care,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    What I am getting from this is that, now that she is coming to terms with what he did, she comes there to sit and talk to him. She tells him her feelings and, perhaps, what went on that day.

I also think the invitation to chat is her way of encouraging couples, who might be passing by, to talk to each other about important things, before it's too late.

She's made her beloved's grave a quiet place for two other people to be deeply honest with each other, and avoid what she went through.

I think doing his grave like that was beautiful act. A (((HUG))) for her.
    That is EXACTLY what crossed my mind, Harry!! I think it is a beautiful gift from her to anyone else who crosses that grave...

baby graves

I had preterm baby about 13 years ago and the hospital i delivered at had a service where you can have the baby buried and a marked (the marker isn't free) plot. Being a Catholic named hospital, they offered a graveside service.

When I arrived at cemetery, we were directed to a special area for children, and an even smaller area for babies. At the site there was another family and thier little girl was also in the so-very-tiny-casket with my daughter. It was probably the most heart wrenching thing I have every experienced. Not only for my grief, but for the other mother's also.

Afterward we walked alone up and down the rows and rows of babies graves observing dates and messages. Pink and blue, sets of twins, flowers, teddy bears, and baloons. It was so so beautiful. And different than anything else. We agreed that we were happy that our daughters were there. Some have told me it is TERRIBLE. No matter the circumstances, a child dying is a tragedy. How could you find beauty in an area where hundreds of childen lie? But for me, a child's grave beaks my heart, but many children's graves swell my heart...

"To everything - turn, turn, turn...
    There is a season - turn, turn, turn...
    And a time for every purpose under heaven."

- The Byrds

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    I had preterm baby about 13 years ago and the hospital i delivered at had a service where you can have the baby buried and a marked (the marker isn't free) plot. Being a Catholic named hospital, they offered a graveside service.

When I arrived at cemetery, we were directed to a special area for children, and an even smaller area for babies. At the site there was another family and thier little girl was also in the so-very-tiny-casket with my daughter. It was probably the most heart wrenching thing I have every experienced. Not only for my grief, but for the other mother's also.

Afterward we walked alone up and down the rows and rows of babies graves observing dates and messages. Pink and blue, sets of twins, flowers, teddy bears, and baloons. It was so so beautiful. And different than anything else. We agreed that we were happy that our daughters were there. Some have told me it is TERRIBLE. No matter the circumstances, a child dying is a tragedy. How could you find beauty in an area where hundreds of childen lie? But for me, a child's grave beaks my heart, but many children's graves swell my heart...
    My aunt gave birth to a baby that was full term, 9 months, but she wanted to wait an extra day so he would be born on her birthday. Well that day ended up being the day that the cord wrapped around his neck and he died But we are Catholic and we had a ceremony, like the one that you described. It was the single most devistating day of my life. It was the first funeral I went to that involved a baby. They even had him embalmed and he had his own casket. He is in heaven now with your daughter
    You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
    -Charles Manson

Thanks So Much...

Quote Originally Posted by hlh004 View Post
    My aunt gave birth to a baby that was full term, 9 months, but she wanted to wait an extra day so he would be born on her birthday. Well that day ended up being the day that the cord wrapped around his neck and he died But we are Catholic and we had a ceremony, like the one that you described. It was the single most devistating day of my life. It was the first funeral I went to that involved a baby. They even had him embalmed and he had his own casket. He is in heaven now with your daughter
    You are sweet.

"To everything - turn, turn, turn...
    There is a season - turn, turn, turn...
    And a time for every purpose under heaven."

- The Byrds

Harry: I suspect you are right about the bench and allowing people to sit down and really talk to each other. She probably also comes to talk to her husband also.
    From what I could tell, she didn't put a Grave there for a long time. She probably put that grave there when she came to terms with his death(they married in 1969)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I found this in Westwood when I was visiting Marily's Grave in June.
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ifornia007.jpg
    Hey Kathy.....I opened both links but the photo was too small for me to make out any details.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Hey Kathy.....I opened both links but the photo was too small for me to make out any details.
    Yeah K.... you gotta intepret for us seeing impaired people!! S
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

This may be a long story, so please bear with me. For some reason, I need to share this story.

A very close cousin of mine always loved children and couldn't wait to have her own. She married a few months before I did. I got pregnant quickly and easily. She struggled with fertility issues. She finally had some surgery and it enabled her to get pregnant with a baby boy. I was almost as excited for her as I was when I had my own three baby boys. The day came that she went into labor. I was home with my babies when my Auntie called with the news that her baby boy was born. Unknown to mother and doctor, my cousin had Beta Strep. The baby contracted it and during labor, swallowed mercurium (sp) and died shortly after birth. I immediately dropped to the floor and could not speak.

I raced down to the hospital and there she was, holding her dead baby against her chest. We talked and cried; cried and talked some more. I don't know what prompted me to do it, but I asked if I could hold the baby. When I took him from her and put him against me he was warm. I then brushed his cheek, which hadn't been the one that was against his mother, and it was ice cold. That's when it hit me he was really dead. I stood there, rocking him as though he were any other baby that any of my other girlfriends/family members had given birth to. As I handed him back to his daddy, the blanket fell open and I saw that most of him was black and blue. I can't remember what that's called, but it hit me again that this little, tiny beautiful baby would never cry or laugh for his mommy and daddy.

They had a regular funeral for him. I gave her my sons' baptismal gown that had been passed down for generations to her so she could dress him in white. After the burial, she told me that I was the only one who asked to hold him and that meant the world to her. It hurt her feelings that when she asked if people would like to hold him, while still in the hospital, and nobody did. She said she felt like her baby didn't matter to people.

Why am I telling you all this? I don't know. I just needed to. So, thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Ruffian; 11-05-2007 at 07:20 PM.

TNpuck Guest
    OMG, I'm speechless. That's the most heartbreaking story I've ever read. My wife is currently pregnant with our second child. I just pray everything goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    OMG, I'm speechless. That's the most heartbreaking story I've ever read. My wife is currently pregnant with our second child. I just pray everything goes well.
    I will keep your wife and baby in my prayers! Congratulations, papa! I'm sure all will go well.

TNpuck Guest
    Thank you.

TNpuck Guest
    This is the first time I've posted in response to anything having to do with a child or baby. I guess that's the one thing I can't handle when it comes to being a death hag.

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    This is the first time I've posted in response to anything having to do with a child or baby. I guess that's the one thing I can't handle when it comes to being a death hag.
    I know what you mean. It's devastating. We've lost several children in our very large family. I turned that grief into something productive. I have spent the last 20 years working with an international organization that grants wishes to children with life threatening illnesses. Sometimes I think it helps me more than them.

Ruffian, your candid story is beautiful & touching while at the very same time so sad. Thank you for sharing this story...I am sure it was not easy to tell. Blessings to you & your family.....I am sure that you've never had a moments regret for asking to hold the baby. This is the intamacy of death that so many lives never experience.

I found this in Westwood when I was visiting Marily's Grave in June.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 11-06-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: add message

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I know what you mean. It's devastating. We've lost several children in our very large family. I turned that grief into something productive. I have spent the last 20 years working with an international organization that grants wishes to children with life threatening illnesses. Sometimes I think it helps me more than them.
    Thats terrible I will say a prayer for everyone.

Oh Ruffian, I am so sorry.... What a trial you and your cousin have been through... I hope that in time, if she is able, she will try again and have a perfectly healthy baby... That is my sincere wish for her... Then you will be there for the happiest moment in her life, as well as the saddest!

My mom had a baby that was still born, but in her case it was a blessing. She had encephalitis, and would have been horribly disabled had she lived... Never an easy thing to live through, that is for sure!

Susan
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    This may be a long story, so please bear with me. For some reason, I need to share this story.

A very close cousin of mine always loved children and couldn't wait to have her own. She married a few months before I did. I got pregnant quickly and easily. She struggled with fertility issues. She finally had some surgery and it enabled her to get pregnant with a baby boy. I was almost as excited for her as I was when I had my own three baby boys. The day came that she went into labor. I was home with my babies when my Auntie called with the news that her baby boy was born. Unknown to mother and doctor, my cousin had Beta Strep. The baby contracted it and during labor, swallowed mercurium (sp) and died shortly after birth. I immediately dropped to the floor and could not speak.

I raced down to the hospital and there she was, holding her dead baby against her chest. We talked and cried; cried and talked some more. I don't know what prompted me to do it, but I asked if I could hold the baby. When I took him from her and put him against me he was warm. I then brushed his cheek, which hadn't been the one that was against his mother, and it was ice cold. That's when it hit me he was really dead. I stood there, rocking him as though he were any other baby that any of my other girlfriends/family members had given birth to. As I handed him back to his daddy, the blanket fell open and I saw that most of him was black and blue. I can't remember what that's called, but it hit me again that this little, tiny beautiful baby would never cry or laugh for his mommy and daddy.

They had a regular funeral for him. I gave her my sons' baptismal gown that had been passed down for generations to her so she could dress him in white. After the burial, she told me that I was the only one who asked to hold him and that meant the world to her. It hurt her feelings that when she asked if people would like to hold him, while still in the hospital, and nobody did. She said she felt like her baby didn't matter to people.

Why am I telling you all this? I don't know. I just needed to. So, thanks for listening.
    Ive been there. I had preemie twins Aug 06. My son died 4 days after due to respiratory failure. Its the hardest thing anyone can go thru.My daughter is alive and thriving. She did spend 8 months in the hosp.
    ~Kasey
    Last edited by SinKittyVixen; 11-06-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Ive been there. I had preemie twins Aug 06. My son died 4 days after due to respiratory failure. Its the hardest thing anyone can go thru.My daughter is alive and thriving. She did spend 8 months in the hosp.
    ~Kasey
    I wish your daughter continued health.

Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    ~Kasey
    I second Kathy's sentiments in sending you & your daughter best wishes... she shares my birthday....so now I feel connected to her....and her late twin! ~Peace, Dennis