Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Starr

Mike's Mum Gayle wrote this on Mikes Facebook Wall a few hours ago

The official public gathering for Mike Starr’s memorial will be:
    Sunday, March 20, 2011
    “The Fountain” (Seattle Center)
    Starting at 4pm

Oh wow! Thanks so much Mystickasha! Gosh I wish I could be there. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories from it. Is there still no word on his funeral or cause of death?

I wonder if his funeral will be on that same sunday then the public memorial later i'm not sure how they do it in America as for cause of death that will probably take a while for tox results but all i've read is he mixed the methodone with some anxiety tablets i guess it will all be revealed soon though

Good Lawd - lets give the guy a break already. Yes drugs did run his life and he lived fast and on the the edge. He was in his "prime" with AIC back in the early 90's - that was 20 years ago... I know I don't look like I did back then either, which could be a good thing... =) 20 years is a along time...

I still feel so sad about this. I actually feel kinda stoopid cause it's not like I "knew" him or anything...
    My Posse's On Broadway

I know I'm not very experienced with drugs, and drug users but I don't think any of them look that bad they've aged *shrugs* we all do it happens thats life I thought he looked just fine he was as beautiful now as he was then
    I like you but if zombies start chasing us I'm tripping you

Guest Guest
    Well I know where I will be on the 20th!!!

paying tribute and saying goodbye to this man..who yes had his demons but was a good person..a kind person..a soul who had a lot of love to give to those around him..Mikey..it was an honor to be in your presence even briefly..this world is sadder without you in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Good Lawd - lets give the guy a break already. Yes drugs did run his life and he lived fast and on the the edge. He was in his "prime" with AIC back in the early 90's - that was 20 years ago... I know I don't look like I did back then either, which could be a good thing... =) 20 years is a along time...

I still feel so sad about this. I actually feel kinda stoopid cause it's not like I "knew" him or anything...

Not trying to be hard on him, and of course you don't look the same after 20 years, but you can just tell the toll drugs had taken on him in terms of his aging. I was saying it meaning how sad that drugs totally made him look and probably act like someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post

On the tape, Mike says he's willing to pay whatever it costs to get his hands on some "bud" ... and insists, "I need it so bad."
    Extremely sad

Quote Originally Posted by JustForNow View Post
    And will probably be my only post here. I am old enough to have been almost too old to listen to A.I.C. but boy could I ever related to the lyrics. I have posted almost the same thing on another site but seeing how this is one dedicated to Mike.........
    For some,addiction is not the demon that it is for others. Especially Heroin. When Mike left Sober House, I could tell that he was one of those that addiction was almost going to be impossible for him to overcome. I also thought that getting back into music, so soon, was a very bad idea for Mike. Then I saw the stand in he did with Steel Panther and remember thinking that we would be reading about his death sometime in the near future. Then I saw the C.R. Guest speaking thing he did with Tom S and M Phillips and thought WOW, Mike looks great and seems to be a much happier person than he was. He claimed to have 6mos. clean time and I was very happy for him and was pulling for him to stay well. See, Iíve never made it 2mos. and seeing that gave me hope that I too, could beat Heroin and if I just gave it time the pain would eventually go away and I could eventually be happy again. I didnít know Mike and had never met him but this news has really shaken me. Iíd bet that if he could, Mike would tell us how happy he finally is. For some of us ,we feel itís the only way out. Heroin has ruined me.
    I'm sorry. There's not a lot to say; I'm sure you've heard it all before.

Quote Originally Posted by FadingSunshine View Post
    I know I'm not very experienced with drugs, and drug users but I don't think any of them look that bad they've aged *shrugs* we all do it happens thats life I thought he looked just fine he was as beautiful now as he was then
    I've known plenty of heroin users & oddly, they usually look pretty young. But after they quit the H they look very haggard.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

Anybody watch Blue Bloods on CBS? During the opening of the show they were playing Down in a Hole, covered by somebody else... I wondered if that was some sort of subliminal tribute to the recent passing of Mr. Starr...
    "Deal with the world like you are shopping at a garage sale- Calmly sift through the crap with a smile! Only buy what you need!" ~ Donnie Wahlberg Words of Wisdom

That sucks that TMZ paid money to the dealer to air that voice mail. His family has to hear that. I knew some of AIC's music prior to Celebrity Rehab, but no person in the band other than Layne and the name of Jerry Cantrell. Something about Mike stuck with me in seeing him fight. Then seeing and hearing about how well he was doing I was so proud of him. I know that he wanted to live. I am just surprised about how this death has affected me.
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
    -Bob Marley

i think his family has heard plenty over the years...i am sorry he was unable to stay sober but i could never shake the conversation he had with layne's mom on CR.

I can't believe no one on youtube has made a tribute video for Mike

In case anyone is interested.

Layne's mother posted this on another site.
    http://grungereport.net/?p=3451
    Layneís dear friend, Mike Starr, passed early Tuesday morning.
    Recently, I believe Mike stepped up a rung on his ladder toward sobriety. My last talk with Mike was very encouraging.
    I like to picture Layne reaching down and helping him to step into Rock-n-Roll Heaven!
    To contact Mikeís family with stories and condolences, email gaylemikesmom@gmail.com
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    Anybody watch Blue Bloods on CBS? During the opening of the show they were playing Down in a Hole, covered by somebody else... I wondered if that was some sort of subliminal tribute to the recent passing of Mr. Starr...
    Hell yes I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it.I watched Mike on Dr. Drew for along time and that honestly doesn't sound like his voice on that voicemail at all.Some people will do anything for a story.Shame on them

A thread and group for Alice In Chains fans to talk about how much we love them, how they and their music changed and touched our lives, how beautiful they really were and are, how much they rocked, and still continue to rock on in our hearts

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29526

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/group.php?groupid=124
    Last edited by TeddyBear; 03-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I have many, many pics of Mikey Starr if you are interested. Can I upload from photobucket? and can they be any size picture?
    "Dark clouds looming above the earth
    Another day without your soul
    Forecast fills with gloom and lack of mirth
    Within the Sea of Sorrow"
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    I have many, many pics of Mikey Starr if you are interested. Can I upload from photobucket? and can they be any size picture?
    Do you mean for a group for Mike? I don't know if the size of the pictures matter, but why don't you make a group for him and give it a try

Nooooo!... This upsets me so much. Mike IS the reason I started listening to AIC. Nothing was the same for me after he left.

I still listened to their early stuff, but it hasn't been until the past few years that I've listened to the latter. I was mad. I never wanted him to leave.

I guess he can jam with Layne and Andy (the sorrow of my heart, whose music I still can't listen to) now.

RIP Mike, you have been missed for years already and will always be missed.
    ♥♥♥

This song makes me think of Mike and Layne R.I.P. guys <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqIE...eature=related

Hi everyone. My name is Jaclyn. I've been reading the closed Layne thread for what seems like days, but my focus since last week has definitely been on Mike. I am glad to see some of the posters from the Layne thread on here, though. Just wanted to introduce myself and talk about Mike. He was such a great guy, and I'm kinda glad to know him and Layne are reunited.

pretty sure you can post them here: just c&p them. I wouldn't make them huge. jmo.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/group.php?groupid=127

Here is the group...I don't know how much I can get going right now. Ironically, I am flying into Seattle on Thursday. My daughter is in her last 2 weeks of pregnancy in Bremerton. I am going to try to go to the Jar Of Flies Mike Starr Tribute Concert and also am going to do my best to go to the memorial for Mike on Sunday. I will update on those as soon as I can on here.

Personally, if I can just say...I am truly gutted by Mike's death. I was sent a pic he used in one of his last shows in NY before he was on Celebrity Rehab. I have friends that were in contact with him, just recently. Everyone knows how much I love AIC. There is no secret there. Half the original band is gone. That kills me. I held out so much hope for Mike, I truly thought he had beaten his demons until he was arrested in February. This is heavy for me.

Please join the group and contribute, if you'd like. I hope we can take this time to celebrate the musician Mike Starr was...he was more than a drug addict. Anyway, I will provide what I can, when I can. <3<3<3
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

Here is the group...I don't know how much I can get going right now. Ironically, I am flying into Seattle on Thursday. My daughter is in her last 2 weeks of pregnancy in Bremerton. I am going to try to go to the Jar Of Flies Mike Starr Tribute Concert and also am going to do my best to go to the memorial for Mike on Sunday. I will update on those as soon as I can on here.

Personally, if I can just say...I am truly gutted by Mike's death. I was sent a pic he used in one of his last shows in NY before he was on Celebrity Rehab. I have friends that were in contact with him, just recently. Everyone knows how much I love AIC. There is no secret there. Half the original band is gone. That kills me. I held out so much hope for Mike, I truly thought he had beaten his demons until he was arrested in February. This is heavy for me.

Please join the group and contribute, if you'd like. I hope we can take this time to celebrate the musician Mike Starr was...he was more than a drug addict. Anyway, I will provide what I can, when I can. <3<3<3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89RB...ure=feedf_more

Good job on the group <3, I had wanted to make one for him but I figured I was to new a fan to make one

Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77 View Post
    Hell yes I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it.I watched Mike on Dr. Drew for along time and that honestly doesn't sound like his voice on that voicemail at all.Some people will do anything for a story.Shame on them
    That is definitely Mike Starr, messed up on xanax. (and whatever else) I would know that heavy, thick tongued, dragging sound anywhere. I've lived with a benzo addict. Sounds the same, exactly.

But you are correct...anyone who would sell that, is a piece of shit and needs to go away.

Thanks Sunny!!
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

Your very welcome Sea!

That is definitely Mike Starr, messed up on xanax. (and whatever else) I would know that heavy, thick tongued, dragging sound anywhere. I've lived with a benzo addict. Sounds the same, exactly.

But you are correct...anyone who would sell that, is a piece of shit and needs to go away.

Thanks Sunny!!
    I will never believe it until I have more proof.Sorry to doubt your experiences but I gotta be me.Check out the video I left on here from last November he seemed pretty straight then,alot can happen in a few months,days even,but I have to believe it wasn't him.Regardless,the guy was looking for marijuana,not heroin or crack.And in the end,he got neither.

No problem about doubting it. You aren't the only one that doesn't think it is Mike. But I am sure the all reputable TMZ cleared it for take off.

The video is fabulous...I've seen it. I actually never liked Steel Panther until this. They were funny and sweet to Mike. LOL

"You know Man in the Box? You fuckin' wrote it"

"He smells like pharmaceutical marijuana!!"

You know when Starr was in his heyday no one could touch him on that bass. He really was a beast...
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

This is a song Mike was working on, and I guess completed. There are 3 separate videos, showing him jamming with people I don't know. Lot of laughter, and funnies, but lot's of cussing too. lol The song is called "Black Cloud" and it actually sounds pretty damn good. He is still doing the drop down tuning and...it just seriously depresses me. But I am happy he left something behind that was recent.

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv7xg7X_W-Y

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esi885yi-gI

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2moW0tbaNhg
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

You can post them from PB. If they are large pics though, please use the attachment function. It helps with loading times and doesn't distort the browser.

Thanks Sunny!!

From what a good friend of Mike and Layne's told me this morning, the recording TMZ had was actually an old one. (Not too recent before his death.) I'm not sure how credible it is, but I like to think Mike was doing well lately, like all his friends have said. I know he was still on the methadone, which I've heard can do more damage in the long-run than heroin sometimes. But mixing methadone with benzos is a death sentence, and I'm sure an addict like Mike knew that and risked it anyway. It's just such a sad outcome because he did look good recently. I agree with what Nancy had to say... I like to think Layne was right there to help him up and be reunited again.

Quote Originally Posted by skynyrd77 View Post
    VERY cool. Thanks for posting that. Pretty sweet version.

Didn't think I would ever like it with another vocalist singing that song, but I like that one.
    ♥♥♥

I was very impressed listening to "Black Cloud." It rocked and was a great swan song for Mike to leave behind. I hope it's recorded one day!

Someone told me that Mike had a son that he has never seen.......anyone know anything on that....or if its even true???

Wahhhhhhhhh - the Black Cloud video's made me even more "sadder"... Ughhh, such talent, such hope, such spirit. Gone...

Written for Layne, but now fitting for Mike Starr too... Basically an AIC Tribute.... =(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1lwzMfUfM

Black Gives Way to Blue

I don't wanna feel no more
    It's easier to keep falling
    Imitations are pale
    Emptiness all tomorrows
    Haunted by your ghost

Lay down, black gives way to blue
    Lay down, I'll remember you

Fading out by design...

Consciously avoiding changes
    Curtains drawn now it's done
    Silencing all tomorrows
    Forcing a goodbye
    Lay down, I'll remember you...

RIP Mike Starr - you touched more hearts than you'll ever know...
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    Is there still no word on his funeral or cause of death?
    I found this today. Seems the funeral and cause of death are on hold pending 'more tests on the body,' but the Seattle memorial is still a go, and the family is planning two funerals -- one private and one for the fans. Here's the link to where I found the info: http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/mar..._On_Hold.shtml
    "I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to." Robbie Williams from the song Undone.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrStaley View Post
    From what a good friend of Mike and Layne's told me this morning, the recording TMZ had was actually an old one. (Not too recent before his death.) I'm not sure how credible it is, but I like to think Mike was doing well lately, like all his friends have said.
    I listened to the recording a couple of times and ... meh. First, it doesn't sound like he and the person he was supposedly calling knew each other very well: "Mike Starr. Alice in Chains?" Doesn't sound like the way he would identify himself on the phone to someone who was close to him. (I would think he'd say something along the lines of, 'Hey, this is Mike.') And it seems ever so convenient to me that he identifies himself by first name, last name and name of the band, right at the beginning of the message -- y'know, for authentication purposes, in case he happens to die that day and the person needs to prove it's him on the phone when he sells the recording.

I can't really tell what he's talking about. Some kind of business transaction, but that could be music related. The 'bring me some bud' seems like an afterthought and not the main purpose of the call.

Can't tell by the voice who it is -- to me it just sounds like some guy who just woke up.

And, if it was him and the call was about drugs ... so what? Everyone knew the guy had a drug problem. I'm sure he made a lot of calls like that throughout his lifetime, and it's not like he was even asking for heroin, if that's what indeed killed him.

I just don't see how the call is relevant.
    Last edited by AllyTheHag; 03-16-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    "I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to." Robbie Williams from the song Undone.

This just sucks sooo much. I was thinking this HAD to be in the wrong section when I clicked on it.

I want to know how he died. Corey Haim died from pneumonia, not drugs.
    ♥♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Wahhhhhhhhh - the Black Cloud video's made me even more "sadder"... Ughhh, such talent, such hope, such spirit. Gone...

Written for Layne, but now fitting for Mike Starr too... Basically an AIC Tribute.... =(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1lwzMfUfM

Black Gives Way to Blue

I don't wanna feel no more
    It's easier to keep falling
    Imitations are pale
    Emptiness all tomorrows
    Haunted by your ghost

Lay down, I'll remember you

Fading out by design...

Consciously avoiding changes
    Curtains drawn now it's done
    Silencing all tomorrows
    Forcing a goodbye
    Lay down, I'll remember you...

RIP Mike Starr - you touched more hearts than you'll ever know...
    Someone should take one of the tribute video's that was made for Layne and add a bunch of old pictures and video clips of when Mike was young with Layne and put them together and have them share the song

Quote Originally Posted by Shandi View Post
    Someone told me that Mike had a son that he has never seen.......anyone know anything on that....or if its even true???

Apparently, this is true but there really isn't too much else know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    This just sucks sooo much. I was thinking this HAD to be in the wrong section when I clicked on it.

I want to know how he died. Corey Haim died from pneumonia, not drugs.
    Isn't that strange, Flowergrrl, how even when you know that it's a possibility, it still catches one by surprise, somehow? Same thing happened to me with Corey. It feels like my whole generation (the artists that I grew up with and admired in my youth) is dying.

I, too, have been checking regularly for the cause of death. The delay usually means that they are waiting for the the 'tox' report, which means that the cause of death is probably going to be drug-related, but not always (like with Corey).

I know that drug intoxication/overdose seems to be the most likely culprit, but for some reason I keep thinking it's going to be something like a heart attack, with long term drug abuse as a possible contributing factor. Denial? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyTheHag View Post
    Isn't that strange, Flowergrrl, how even when you know that it's a possibility, it still catches one by surprise, somehow? Same thing happened to me with Corey. It feels like my whole generation (the artists that I grew up with and admired in my youth) is dying.

I, too, have been checking regularly for the cause of death. The delay usually means that they are waiting for the the 'tox' report, which means that the cause of death is probably going to be drug-related, but not always (like with Corey).

I know that drug intoxication/overdose seems to be the most likely culprit, but for some reason I keep thinking it's going to be something like a heart attack, with long term drug abuse as a possible contributing factor. Denial? Maybe.
    It sounds like something more to me. While a tox screen takes several weeks to complete, it usually doesn't delay releasing the body. They take the samples they need and send the body to the FH. I find it odd that they are hanging onto the body. It seems like there is something physical they are looking at/for. I hope one of our death industry professionals can give us some ideas on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    It sounds like something more to me. While a tox screen takes several weeks to complete, it usually doesn't delay releasing the body. They take the samples they need and send the body to the FH. I find it odd that they are hanging onto the body. It seems like there is something physical they are looking at/for. I hope one of our death industry professionals can give us some ideas on this.
    You're right. Now that I think about it, it does seem strange that they're hanging on to the body. Drug overdoses take longer for the results to be released, because of the 'tox' screen, but they're usually 'open and shut,' so to speak. I don't know what would cause a delay in the release of the body ... and I really don't want to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    Apparently, this is true but there really isn't too much else know about it.

Wow - I wish we knew more about this... This is the first I have heard of it.
    My Posse's On Broadway

I asked our "death" people, to find out.

And yes, Mike had a son.
    ~~
    Suzanne Darrow~~

I wonder why Mike had a son and wasen't in his life? Was it because of his drug use or because of the mother. I just is very sad to me that this boy will never know his father. Being adopted myself, I know that when you get older you wonder where you came from. Where you got your traits.

I asked our "death" people, to find out.
    Thank you. I'm very curious about the possible reasons why the ME would hold a body, meaning what kind of tests they might be doing and what they could be looking for. I eagerly await a response. Yay for the 'death people'!

Medica Examiner holding body

Hey all,

I just skimmed the last page on this thread, but maybe I missed he post where it said that the ME is holding Mike Starr's remains?

The ME rarely holds a body, an if they do, it is only for a few reasons:

1) The deceased is unclaimed or indigent (not the case with Mike)
    2) Law enforcement requests more time
    3) Identification issues

Other than that, there is no reason to hold the deceased. None of the above appear to apply to Mike.

Can somone direct me to the post that says they are holding his body?

Thanks!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Hey all,

I just skimmed the last page on this thread, but maybe I missed he post where it said that the ME is holding Mike Starr's remains?

The ME rarely holds a body, an if they do, it is only for a few reasons:

1) The deceased is unclaimed or indigent (not the case with Mike)
    2) Law enforcement requests more time
    3) Identification issues

Other than that, there is no reason to hold the deceased. None of the above appear to apply to Mike.

Can somone direct me to the post that says they are holding his body?

Thanks!
    Sorry, I don't know how to link to a previous post, but here is the link to the site where it says they are holding his body: http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/mar..._On_Hold.shtml

I've also seen it on several other sites since yesterday.

Here is the E Online article. It has a little more info, but not much. I'm just very curious about what kind of 'tests' they could be conducting. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b231...ate_celeb.html
    Last edited by AllyTheHag; 03-16-2011 at 10:56 PM.