Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Monroe

it is a sad video....also makes me wish i was alive in "old" Hollywood ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Hugh Hefner owns the one to the left of Marilyns!!!

He was able to outbid Madonna for the plot. I read he paid like 4 million dollars!

There are no pictures of Marilyn casketed

Just to answer your question. Alan Abbott was pretty much in charge of all the details of Marilyn's funeral and one of the first things he did was order armed Pinkerton securty guards the minute Marilyn was transfered from the county morgue to Westwood Village. There main purpose was to insure there would be no pictures of Marilyn casketed. Many magazines were offering large sums of money to anyone who could get the shot but, none were ever taken.

Buffalo, NY (Where committing suicide is redundant. Bflo's Michael Bennett in "A Chorus Line")
    Marilyn, a Hollywood Farewell is owned by only 6 libraries in the world. LA Public has it in their Rare Book Room. Yes, I'm a geek.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    Marilyn, a Hollywood Farewell is owned by only 6 libraries in the world. LA Public has it in their Rare Book Room. Yes, I'm a geek.

Is the 'Rare Book Room' in the main library downtown?

After the armed guards were called in

There would have been only one person who could have taken a picture of Marilyn casketed, and that would have been Alan Abbott himself. I happen to know he didn't take any. Although he did sneak his wife in very late at night after Joe and his entourage left for the night., to get a last look at Marilyn.

LupeVelez, do you know anything about the hair they retrieved from the trash when Marilyn was autopsied? I saw someone on ebay selling it.

Marilyn was so beautiful! I think Joe really loved her and I think they would have gotten back together eventually.
    Watch what you say or do today....tomorrow you might wake up dead!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    Marilyn was so beautiful! I think Joe really loved her and I think they would have gotten back together eventually.
    He carried a torch for her til the day he died. He said he would see Marilyn when he died.

Crawford was just jealous that Marilyn was whistled at instead of her
    Watch what you say or do today....tomorrow you might wake up dead!!

I think at the time Westwood wasn't very well known and he wanted to put her in a place that wasn't well known. Of course once Marilyn got put there it became the place to be buried!!!
    Monroe often visited the cemetery, where her former guardian, Grace McKee Goddard (1895 - 1953), and her surrogate mother, Ana Atchinson Lower (1880 - 1948), were buried. Monroe lived with Lower from the age of 12 until her first marriage in 1942, just after she turned 16. After Lower's death, Monroe used to spend many hours at the cemetery, sitting on a bench near her grave. (Both Goddard and Lower are buried within a few feet of each other, in the large urn garden in the southwest corner of the central lawn area - the opposite corner from Monroe's crypt. Their grave markers are directly west of the large tree near the curb in the urn garden.) In fact, on one occasion, Monroe saw cemetery workers digging a grave, and she asked them if she could climb down into the open hole. "I went down and lay on the ground and looked up at the sky from there," she later recalled. "The ground is cold under your back, but it's quite a view."

---From Cemeteryguide.com/monroe.html

That last line is another reason to love Marilyn!!
    Last edited by motherogod; 10-25-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    I would love to know whether there are any pictures of Marilyn in her casket... that hasn't been covered yet, has it?
    Here's something to help us visualize:
    Allan Whitey Snyer did her makeup for years and was responsible to do her make up for the last time. A flask of gin was required to help him carry out the promise he had made in jest many years earlier. Marilyn gave him a gold money clip from Tiffany's inscribed with: "Whitey Dear, While I'm still warm, Marilyn." to remind him of his promise. Long time hairdresser to Marilyn, Agnes Flanagan, did her hair. Due to the damage that the autopsy had caused, Agnes had to find a wig similar to the style Marilyn wore in her last movie.

Prior to dressing Miss Monroe, the embalmer decided to use a surgical procedure to reduce the swelling in the back of her neck. He cut some hair away and made an incision and sutured it up tightly. Mary Hammock who was one of the partners in the mortuary, noticed that Marilyn appeared to be too flat chested and not the Marilyn known in life. The embalmer explained that the autopsy had rendered her chest in that condition. The family brought in a pair of breast enhancers that she had frequently worn, but they were too small to compensate for the effects of the post-mortem.
    Mrs. Hammock removed the falsies from the chartreuse Pucci dress, and formed her own version out of cotton from the preproom shelf. When she finally finished she stepped back admiring her work and said, "Now that looks like Marilyn Monroe!"
    --from morbid-curiosity.com
    Last edited by motherogod; 10-25-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Faboo pics Danny and SistaSara !!!

CRAWFORD was also allegedly , if you'll pardon the expression, shit-faced that night.

MAMIE VAN DOREN tells a funny anecdote about a date she had to an industry function. Her date that night was an arranged one with ROCK HUDSON, whom she had already met. MAMIE knew (of) the stories, but didn't take them to heart. In fact she had sex later that night with ROCK, or so she says. Anyway, at the award function MAMIE said that she & ROCK were seated next to JOAN CRAWFORD and her date. CRAWFORD was supposedly three sheets to the wind and was rude as shit to everyone except ROCK whom she apparently had 'plans' for. MAMIE said that CRAWFORD who at that time was a very hard 50 something made an absolute fool out of herself trying to come on to ROCK who was about 30. MAMIE said that JOAN kept calling ROCK 'ROCK Baby' , suggestively winking at him, and tried to make sexy mouth movements like licking her chomps.

During the early to mid 1950s, that being until she met up with
    AL(FRED) STEELE, CRAWFORD was a Bitch On Wheels: mean, disagreeable, a generally unpredictable due to her alcohol consumption. It was during this time that stories of CRAWFORD'S disagreeable nature with her co-stars came forward. Tales from the productions of JOHNNY GUITAR, [SIZE=3]Q[/SIZE]UEEN [SIZE=3]B[/SIZE]EE & FEMALE ON THE BEACH are lengendary.

[SIZE=1]NOTE: THE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH IS OF ALFRED STEELE, JOAN CRAWFORD STEELE. THE BLOND LADY TO THE RIGHT IS UNIDENTIFIED.[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing that is a great pic!!! Never seen this one before!!!
    HELP!! I can't see any of the pics.

And Danny, what happened to the shirtless avatar??????
    Last edited by Laura1020; 10-26-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Check this out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxebbJCgghg

Pretty damn cool shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shows two autopsy photos I haven't seen!!!

This is a pretty damn sad video to watch though. I really was moved watching it!
    That is an awesome video... No, I'd never seen the pics of her in her bed or the one of her full face...
    The video overall is very moving!

This is a still from the video... warning: it's a lifeless Marilyn, but not a pic we're used to seeing... so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post

I need to promote one of my favorite movies "Plan 9."

Plus it was getting cold...

Okay bad joke!!!

you might want to write Nick about why you can't see the pic's?

I have the dead Marilyn pic... I posted it on another MM thread! Let me know if you want it on this thread, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post

Yes, bring back the shirtless avatar.............

Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    Norma Jeane DiMaggio. This is FANTASTIC...thank you for sharing it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LupeVelez View Post
    We are neighbors! I live in Sacramento!
    So do I!!

I need to promote one of my favorite movies "Plan 9."

Plus it was getting cold...

Okay bad joke!!!

you might want to write Nick about why you can't see the pic's?

Ha Ha! Getting cold! Love it!
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

I went back and added all the pictures in this thread as attachments. Make sure you have images enabled in your user options. (Click the "User CP" link near the top-left of each page to get started.)

Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    That is an awesome video... No, I'd never seen the pics of her in her bed or the one of her full face...
    The video overall is very moving!

This is a still from the video... warning: it's a lifeless Marilyn, but not a pic we're used to seeing... so sad.

It is so very sad. She was just so lovely, even when she had no make up on there was just an innocence about her....and I have to say what wonderful thick and long eye lashes she had.

Thanks, Nick!
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

wow that coffin pic is fantastic.that cemetery is all about the ladys ill say that.So many young starlets who died before there time........marilyns grave looks dark almost cause of all the people who have touched it.Hugh hefner bought the plot right next to her.

Miz
    Last edited by miz rosebud; 10-26-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: mispellings

Thumbs up

I enjoyed seeing those pictures Danny. You are satisfying my morbid appetite. Although I've been coming to FAD for years I'm so glad to see this forum.

Man if we could find the video that would be the ultimate...you would think there was video??
    First of all, thank you so much for all the magnificent pictures.

Now that you mention a video, i perfectly remember seeing some footage of that day, on a documentary, years ago... i remember seeing a closeup of a grief-stricken Di Maggio walking with his so Joe jr, just behing the pallbearers and the casket...id love to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzal View Post
    I've always heard that Joe Dimaggio banned the Kennedy family from attending Marilyn's funeral. What I'm wondering is, why would the Kennedy want to attend Marilyn's funeral in the first place? If Jack and Bobby were both engaged in affairs with her, then what would be the point of showing up at her funeral? It would be too dangerous politically.

Actually, i seriously doubt that Jack or Bobby wanted to attend the funeral, im sure that they didnt care and even if they did they wouldnt be able to, i mean ..he was the president!
    im pretty sure that the ones that Joe banned were Sinatra , Sammy Davis and Pat Lawford Kennedy.

By the way, thanks for posting that pic Sista Sara, id never seen it before.

I'm wondering if any of you Marilyn fans can help me with something. I worked for this company many years ago and my boss had this print in his office. It was of Marilyn Monroe standing on a balcony of a hotel and she's holding a champagne glass in herhand and looking out to the hills of Hollywood.

I have looked everywhere and haven't been able to find this picture ANYWHERE.

If any of you know which one I am talking about, please direct me on where to find it - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    This prompts two more questions from me. 1) Where was Arthur Miller? Did he care? Was he too distraught? What's his story? and 2) Did Joe remarry and is he buried with that family? Thanks in advance. (I could go look it up, but you guys are the experts, IMO, and I learn everyday from this sight.)
    The only thing i remember reading about that in what concerns Arthur and her death is that he said that he wasnt going to her funeral because"she wasnt there anymore".

Here Aries 65 is a link of the same photo session you are talking about. Kim Goodwin had the picture you mentioned, but it looks like it was removed. These pictures were taken in the Hollywood hills on Blue Jay Way in 1962.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFH5uEC_YU

The address is 1506 Blue Jay Way, Los Angeles, if you want to Zillow it. Zillow has a bird's eye view of L.A. and it's cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I'm wondering if any of you Marilyn fans can help me with something. I worked for this company many years ago and my boss had this print in his office. It was of Marilyn Monroe standing on a balcony of a hotel and she's holding a champagne glass in herhand and looking out to the hills of Hollywood.

I have looked everywhere and haven't been able to find this picture ANYWHERE.

If any of you know which one I am talking about, please direct me on where to find it - thanks!
    Hi Aries,
    i wish i knew which pic is that! The only one i have of Marilyn in a hotel balcony,is the one where shes holding a cigarette, it was taken in New York:

and, God, are those images of a dead Marilyn sad??!!! it breaks my heart to see those.

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    Here Aries 65 is a link of the same photo session you are talking about. Kim Goodwin had the picture you mentioned, but it looks like it was removed. These pictures were taken in the Hollywood hills on Blue Jay Way in 1962.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFH5uEC_YU
    Wow! Thanks for that. I just remember that print in my boss' office (and it was a HUGE framed one, and I've always liked it and never been able to find it anywhere - and maybe still can't?

What a great pic of marilyn....Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Hi Aries,
    i wish i knew which pic is that! The only one i have of Marilyn in a hotel balcony,is the one where shes holding a cigarette, it was taken in New York:

and, God, are those images of a dead Marilyn sad??!!! it breaks my heart to see those.
    OOOh, that's a good one too. To have that one and the one I am seeking, framed and hung on the wall side by side...really cool!

Hello All

Couple of nights ago I saw this pretty cool movie called "The Young and the Dead," which is about the refurbishing of Hollywood Memorial Cemetery. Very interesting! I think it was on Showtime.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259747/

As they were talking about this and other LA cemeteries, they threw in this trivia nugget about Marilyn I never heard before:

A man paid a *lot* of money to procure the crypt above Marilyn.

When he died, he specifically instructed them to (following his service) turn him on his stomach in his coffin -- so that he would be facing Marilyn for all eternity.

[SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]his is the only shot that I've ever seen of [SIZE=4]MARILYN[/SIZE] still in the bed; this was taken by the police after they were called to her home on the morning of Sunday, August 5, 1962.

I wonder of after the Kennedy stuff is unveiled will the Diary turn up?

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Hello my fellow death hags! I'm new to the site and new to the NY area so you guys are my only friends (sheading a tear). But, I digress....I know it's been brought up a million times before, but what is the general concensus (I hope I spelled that right) about the death of Marilyn? Do you all think the Kennedys expidited her departure? My gut tells me it was NOT a suicide. Just making conversation. Say, are there any other Joplin and Elvis freaks out there, too?
    my older sister and i have a "marilyn thing" because we were on vacation when she died and we still remember our father sitting out in the car in front of our motel room crying. we have, over the years, swapped many books on marilyn covering both her life and death. i never suspected that marilyn was murdered and nothing i have read ever made me doubt my original opinion. i ended up working for a mental health hospital and we see "marilyns" every day of the week. marilyn was a classic boarderline personality disorder. these people "attempt" suicide many times and sometimes they accidentally succeed. it would not surprise me, however, if people from the kennedy camp went to the house to check for anything that might tie jack and bobby to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    Hello All

Couple of nights ago I saw this pretty cool movie called "The Young and the Dead," which is about the refurbishing of Hollywood Memorial Cemetery. Very interesting! I think it was on Showtime.

As they were talking about this and other LA cemeteries, they threw in this trivia nugget about Marilyn I never heard before:

When he died, he specifically instructed them to (following his service) turn him on his stomach in his coffin -- so that he would be facing Marilyn for all eternity.

i saw this too, loved the marilyn tidbit & it was a very interesting docu~

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    Hello All

I think that was Hugh Hefner, wasn't it?

And just in case you were interested, "Young & The Dead" is out on DVD, and you can get it for about $3 on Amazon!

I'm pretty sure Hef's is going to be the one next to her, not above.

Yes westwood is still open. I saw the chapel where she was laid out at in September of this year. Not sure where the autopsy was held at!!!

The autopsy was held at the L.A County Coroner's office, performed by Dr. Thomas Noguchi and attended by the assistant D.A. John (i think) Miner.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I think that was Hugh Hefner, wasn't it?

And just in case you were interested, "Young & The Dead" is out on DVD, and you can get it for about $3 on Amazon!

The man above Marilyn is named richard something or other. i have a picture of him. he is indeed buried face down so as to look at marilyn for eternity. hugh hefner is to the immediate left of marilyn. he paid $88,000.00 for the crypt. today it would go for an easy million.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    [SIZE=4]T[/SIZE]his is the only shot that I've ever seen of [SIZE=4]MARILYN[/SIZE] still in the bed; this was taken by the police after they were called to her home on the morning of Sunday, August 5, 1962.

Is Marilyn facing away or toward the camera? It is so hard to see
    Marilyn Monroe and Lana Clarkson........taken before their time......RIP! And Michael....because of you, my childhood is Gone Too Soon

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    The autopsy was held at the L.A County Coroner's office, performed by Dr. Thomas Noguchi and attended by the assistant D.A. John (i think) Miner.
    Thanks Erin. I didn't think it was done at Westwood...I assumed they prepared the body at Westwood though?

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    You can get full details of her autopsy in the great death hag book, "Coroner" by Thomas Noguchi. He did Janis Joplin, John Belushi, Sharon Tate, Marilyn and a few others and wrote about it in that book.

He has a sequel book also called "Coroner At Large".