View Poll Results: Should Joe Paterno step down at Penn State?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is time for Joe Paterno to go.

69 87.34%
  • No. Joe Paterno should stay at Penn State.

10 12.66%
Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Sandusky - Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Jerry Sandusky - Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Former Penn State Defense Coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been charged with molesting 8 boys between the period 1994-2005.

The state Attorney General's office on Saturday charged Mr. Sandusky, 67, with 40 sex charges against boys from 1994 to 2005, all of whom he met through the Second Mile Foundation he founded in 1977. Started as a small home for six troubled boys outside State College, it has grown to a statewide organization whose mission is to help "young people to achieve their potential as individuals and community members by providing opportunities for them to develop positive life skills and self-esteem."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11310...#ixzz1d8Gh85l3

Also, the athletic director Tim Curley and school admistrator Gary Schultz have been charged with perjury and failure to report the abuse. Both men have resigned.

Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and school administrator Gary Schultz have stepped down amid allegations of an explosive child-sex abuse scandal and cover-up in Happy Valley.

In a brief statement released after an executive session of Penn State’s Board of Trustees, university President Graham Spanier said late Sunday that he had received a request from Curley to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote the time needed to defend himself against perjury and other charges.

Schultz is stepping down and going back into retirement. He was named senior vice president and treasurer from 1993 to 2009 and returned this year until a new person could be found.
    http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...abuse-scandal/

Another topic on the minds of many is why, after Joe Paterno was told of a sexual assault in 2002, did he not report the incident to the police. While he reported the incident to AD Curley, thus completing his legal obligations, did he shirk his moral obligations by not contacting the police? Should Joe Pa step down?

As a Penn State alum, I feel Joe Pa did not do enough to protect this boy and future boys from being abused. It is time for him to go. What do you think, fellow hags?
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 11-08-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\ccef\ccef\Thunderstorm.gif C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\ccef\ccef\Freezing-Rain-and-Snow.gif

I imagine money has a lot to do with it as to why no one spoke up sooner. Probably lots of other things too like people actually not caring. Or being worried about family members of those being accused. Much like the Catholic priest stuff, there seems to always be a reason why someone did nothing. And lets face it, IMO lots of this behavior is accepted. Used to be we only heard about women being abused, raped, etc. But over the last few decades we hear more and more about boys being abused and raped. In this case, it probably would have caused way too much attention the school didint want. And, heaven forbid, we do something to fuck up football and all the zillions of dollars associated with it. Advertising, vendors, all the fans......its easier to just overlook this type activity. Very sad. JMO

IMHO, yes if he was aware he should have pursued the legal route. A child's welfare comes before football, no ifs ands or buts.

I think the damage now is far worse to the football program now, than if he had reported it when he first knew about it years ago. How can your players respect you after that? The fans? Even though I'm a Husker thru and thru, I had respect for Paterno, not so much now......

I had respect for Paterno too. Think how many people do? Again, this is prolly another reason why no one did anything. Out of sight, out of mind.

It seems this Sandusky guy is a professional pedophile. I mean, starting a foundation for youngsters? Where have we heard about that type behaviour before? Pedophiles going into coaching, scouting, etc. to be close to kids. The outcome remains to be seen but I think its a safe bet that Penn State will never be the same. JMO

And adding one more thought to the mix, I think this type thing goes on all the time and that many of us would be shocked at who enjoys and condones it. I am not necessarily saying that about Joe or anyone specifically but it could be another reason why nothing was said. Good God --- 15 years brushed under the rug? Well I suppose I should wait for it all to come out in the wash. Unfortunately the damage has been done and despite the outcome, you cant unring a bell.

Sick bastard. I will never understand how people can do this to children. I also don't see how it was hidden for so long. Put him in prison and let bubba have at him.
    "Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff"

Just makes me sick to read about people who abuse children that way and in all ways.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer. #METOO

Looks like a possible ninth victim of Jerry Sandusky has contacted authorities:

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Possible-9t.../-/145vee1z/-/

EDIT: Penn State has also cancelled Joe Pa's weekly news conference.
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 11-08-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\ccef\ccef\Thunderstorm.gif C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop\ccef\ccef\Freezing-Rain-and-Snow.gif

Penn State has a way of turning its head the other way when it comes to coaches. Look how many years it took them to finally fire (she resigned, but it was that or you are fired type of situation) that homophobic women's basketball coach Rene Portland. Joe Pa stood behind her time after time when she was in hot water. So, I'm not surprised at all they tried to cover-up the sexual abuse. Rumor has it Paterno is going to step down. An awful way to leave his legacy, but the man should have said something years ago.

This is an interesting situation....the focus should be on the asshole who molested these kids in my opinion.

Life's no good without a good scare

From everything I've read, it sounds like there were an awful lot of people who should have said something and didn't. A DA who declined to file charges on an earlier complaint because Sandusky apologized and promised not to do it again? A witness who didn't bother to say, "Hey, you remember what I told you I saw? Um, so why is he still around kids?" A head coach who knew of the prior allegations and that nothing came of them but didn't question the lack of action when someone else reported an incident? It seems to me this is another corollary of the currently wildly popular theory that winning equals redemption (hey Mike Vick and Mark McGuire, I'm looking at you!). Those kids' innocence was basically sacrificed for the sake of a few football victories, and it makes me sick to think about it. So while I think it's well past time for Paterno to go, I think he should be joined by quite a few others.

Seems no one is safe anywhere anymore, are they?

I'm just appalled by this whole case. It's bad enough those boys were molested (and likely traumatized to this day unless they got help early), but the idea of covering it up makes me even more disgusted. I hope the whole crew responsible gets the book thrown at them (*ducks thrown tomatoes*).
    Ive been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so, it means a lot to me. ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtine View Post
    This is an interesting situation....the focus should be on the asshole who molested these kids in my opinion.
    Absolutely. The authorities should make it priority one to see that Jerry Sandusky is put in prison for the rest of his natural life and that the victims receive the necessary counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    From everything I've read, it sounds like there were an awful lot of people who should have said something and didn't. A DA who declined to file charges on an earlier complaint because Sandusky apologized and promised not to do it again? A witness who didn't bother to say, "Hey, you remember what I told you I saw? Um, so why is he still around kids?" A head coach who knew of the prior allegations and that nothing came of them but didn't question the lack of action when someone else reported an incident? It seems to me this is another corollary of the currently wildly popular theory that winning equals redemption (hey Mike Vick and Mark McGuire, I'm looking at you!). Those kids' innocence was basically sacrificed for the sake of a few football victories, and it makes me sick to think about it. So while I think it's well past time for Paterno to go, I think he should be joined by quite a few others.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Seems no one is safe anywhere anymore, are they?

I'm just appalled by this whole case. It's bad enough those boys were molested (and likely traumatized to this day unless they got help early), but the idea of covering it up makes me even more disgusted. I hope the whole crew responsible gets the book thrown at them (*ducks thrown tomatoes*).
    No tomatoes from me, PurrPurr, I totally agree, and with you as well, MissZoot. There are many people who either chose to turn a blind eye or simply didn't give a shit. Likely because of the damage a scandal like this could cause to the cash cow football program. Of course, had they reported at the time, they may have been able to limit the damage. Instead, it was covered up. Whoops! How arrogant the people involved must be to believe this horrible abuse would never come to light. These people should definitely lose their jobs and, where laws were broken, put in jail. This includes both Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier.
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 11-08-2011 at 09:14 PM.

From what I've read, Penn State, mostly the football team with the legendary coach, is the number one thing in the city and that part of the state, and completely well-known and thought of in the rest of the country.

Among other appalling, sickening incidents is the story is the grad assistant walking in and seeing coach Sandusky having sex with a 10 year and not calling the police, but called his father who worked for the university. The father later reported it to the now also indicted much higher ups who also it appears didn't report it to police. Handled internally, as they say. The witnessed crime, which has no doubt affected this child as well as other victims forever, was allegedly allowed to continue with later child victims by this Sandusky person for years afterwards. The grad assistant is now a coach at the school.

The whole thing is just awful- makes me sick.

Thank you! I am a little bit fuzzy on all the details and I will admit to not having researched this topic before posting. But -- if Paterno reported the charges to Penn State administration, then the administration is responsible for conducting an internal investigation and pulling in the authorities. I don't know how much detail was provided to Paterno. Perhaps he had enough info and details to go to the police. But, if he didn't, it's kind of hard to convince police to look into something when there isn't reasonable cause to believe a crime took place.

Maybe Paterno is being scapegoated for Penn State's failure to act.

Quote Originally Posted by dia846 View Post
    From what I've read, Penn State, mostly the football team with the legendary coach, is the number one thing in the city and that part of the state, and completely well-known and thought of in the rest of the country.

Among other appalling, sickening incidents is the story is the grad assistant walking in and seeing coach Sandusky having sex with a 10 year and not calling the police, but called his father who worked for the university. The father later reported it to the now also indicted much higher ups who also it appears didn't report it to police. Handled internally, as they say. The witnessed crime, which has no doubt affected this child as well as other victims forever, was allegedly allowed to continue with later child victims by this Sandusky person for years afterwards. The grad assistant is now a coach at the school.

The whole thing is just awful- makes me sick.
    Seriously, WTF was wrong with the grad assistant? He had eyewitness evidence of a crime. He should have gone straight to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Seriously, WTF was wrong with the grad assistant? He had eyewitness evidence of a crime. He should have gone straight to the police.
    No pun intended, but heads are going to roll like nothing we've ever seen at this level. SO many people involved and SO many people covering it up for YEARS. ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING x 1,000,000,000,000.

I posted this on another site in response to a Joe Paterno apologist:

Here's an easy way to resolve it: If that little nameless boy was instead named Joey Paterno III - how do you think McQueary, Paterno & Spanier would have reacted? If you can say they would have done EXACTLY the same thing (no police/law ...enforcement/prosecution involvement), then maybe...just *maybe* they'd get a moral pass on this. But - I think it's extremely safe to say this would have gone down a LOT differently had that child been named Paterno. And therein lies the rub.

There's an expression made famous by Harry S Truman (someone even older than I am!) - "the buck stops here". That pulls Spanier into this - it happened on his watch. It also includes Paterno; he's the face and leader of Penn State football; you can't start underplaying his importance after years of behaving like he hung the moon.

As for McQueary - I hope he wonders about that little boy every single day of his life. While some of the victims are known (they're anonymous, of course, in the indictment), this particular little boy - the one McQueary saw Sandusky raping in the shower - is unknown. No one bothered to find out his name, so God only knows if he's gotten counseling or help or what. I hope McQueary remembers what he saw that day - AND DID NOTHING TO STOP! - and it haunts him forever.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

double post <eek!>

An interesting twist in all of this. Remember that Pennsylvania DA who was found dead in his car in 2005? Seems that he - Ray Gricar - was the DA who chose not to prosecute Sandusky in 1998.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...stery.html?hpw

Hmm.

VCNJ~

My understanding is JoePa had only second hand kmowledge, hearsay basically which he reported. I would think twice about passing potentially career destroying information to the law when it was technically no more than gossip.
    Joe needs to retire years ago but if he's forced out this way he goes to the top of my death pool. I respect the man his team consitently plays the cleanest game in the Big Ten. Still having a proper set of priorities I can only hope this messes with his team enough to give Nebraska and us an edge in our upcoming games against Penn. Pragmatist that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    My understanding is JoePa had only second hand kmowledge, hearsay basically which he reported. I would think twice about passing potentially career destroying information to the law when it was technically no more than gossip.
    Joe needs to retire years ago but if he's forced out this way he goes to the top of my death pool. I respect the man his team consitently plays the cleanest game in the Big Ten. Still having a proper set of priorities I can only hope this messes with his team enough to give Nebraska and us an edge in our upcoming games against Penn. Pragmatist that I am.

My understanding, as well. It's hard to go to police when you don't have details. But, for the Graduate Assistant that was an eyewitness, Fuck you! You sacrificed a small child, and for what? Your chance at a coaching position?

Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    My understanding, as well. It's hard to go to police when you don't have details. But, for the Graduate Assistant that was an eyewitness, Fuck you! You sacrificed a small child, and for what? Your chance at a coaching position?
    I agree on the grad student but penn has been hoping Jo would retire for the last several years and will jump on this to force it. Big Ten schools tend to force coaches out like Lloyd Carr for all the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    An interesting twist in all of this. Remember that Pennsylvania DA who was found dead in his car in 2005? Seems that he - Ray Gricar - was the DA who chose not to prosecute Sandusky in 1998.

Hmm.

VCNJ~
    WOW - I forgot all about this stuff! Great find, VCNJ.

Hmm.

VCNJ~
    Call me suspicious, but I have a gut feeling this whole warped bunch had something to do with that too. It's wayyyy too coincidental...
    Ive been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so, it means a lot to me. ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016.

This story makes me angry on so many levels. I agree with what a few others have said, why didn't the eyewitness take the child and call the police? If I saw something like that happening, I wouldn't care where I was or who the pedophile was, I would take action and protect the child.

It seems like EVERYONE involved was more concerned with the football program and their own careers that the welfare of a helpless nameless child got overlooked. And as far as it being "gossip", this wasn't the first time something like this had come up, from what I read Sandusky was banned from a high school because of the mother of one of his "recruits" called the school and voiced concern over his behavior. I bet there are more instances too, and more victims.

I was watching a news report last night, and as of then, there could be up to 20 victims of Sandusky's.

Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    No tomatoes from me, PurrPurr, I totally agree, and with you as well, MissZoot. There are many people who either chose to turn a blind eye or simply didn't give a shit. Likely because of the damage a scandal like this could cause to the cash cow football program. Of course, had they reported at the time, they may have been able to limit the damage. Instead, it was covered up. Whoops! How arrogant the people involved must be to believe this horrible abuse would never come to light. These people should definitely lose their jobs and, where laws were broken, put in jail. This includes both Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier.
    Well said....

Call me suspicious, but I have a gut feeling this whole warped bunch had something to do with that too. It's wayyyy too coincidental...
    Yes it is. But the question remains, why did Gricar choose not prosecute Sandusky back in 1998? And if he wasnt going to prosecute him, why kill him? Hmmmm. Wonder if Gricar decided to change his mind and go forward with it? Lots of answered questions here.

In any event Penn is in first place of it's division with it's three toughest games lined up -- Nebraska, OSU and Wisconsin. They'll give Joe until the end of the season if they win out (not very likely) he'll stay in place if not he'll be moved to an administrative job.

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    In any event Penn is in first place of it's division with it's three toughest games lined up -- Nebraska, OSU and Wisconsin. They'll give Joe until the end of the season if they win out (not very likely) he'll stay in place if not he'll be moved to an administrative job.
    Hey tar --- you really think so? From the few articles I read yesterday, Joe's ass will be totally gone.

he had second hand knowledge but he had knowledge....and it wasn't a kinda maybe sorta I think maybe he might have fondled a boy, it was a report of a grown ass man anally raping a 10 yr old in a shower!! I would have been in the AD's office asking if he was gonna dial the po po or should I? he conveniently looked the other way cause it was easier.....the intern who reported it took the easy way out as well...dump it on a higher up and walk away.

just like it was easier to move a priest to another parish rather than "deal" with the crime......

Time to clean house Penn State. A lot of people here failed the children............

Quote Originally Posted by luvmypeanut View Post
    he had second hand knowledge but he had knowledge....and it wasn't a kinda maybe sorta I think maybe he might have fondled a boy, it was a report of a grown ass man anally raping a 10 yr old in a shower!! I would have been in the AD's office asking if he was gonna dial the po po or should I? he conveniently looked the other way cause it was easier.....the intern who reported it took the easy way out as well...dump it on a higher up and walk away.

just like it was easier to move a priest to another parish rather than "deal" with the crime......

Time to clean house Penn State. A lot of people here failed the children............
    Yep, I agree. And think of the message we are sending --- and have sent for many, many years. Its all about money. Nothing seems to matter but prestige and money. There's no telling how many kids are involved here. And I hope all of them have the support and strength to come forward. There may even be some kids who have blocked the whole thing out for years. I just cant get over that someone actually saw boys being raped in the shower. And as someone else said upthread, its not like someone told someone that someone maybe touched someone. The world is a sick, sick place. And its time we started taking the trash out. And when you think of it in context with the Catholic priests, what the hell is wrong with this world? Why can we not protect our kids? And dont even get me started about child sexual slavery. Most people dont even realize places like Cambodia and Thailand are vacation hotspots for people who want to have sex with kids.

MSNBC is now reporting that Paterno will quit at the end of the season.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/451862...lege_football/

"This is a tragedy," Paterno said in a statement Wednesday. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."
    What an asshole. "....with the benefit of hindsight..." ??????? WTF? If he hadnt been caught, he would still be silent?

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    MSNBC is now reporting that Paterno will quit at the end of the season.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/451862...lege_football/

What an asshole. "....with the benefit of hindsight..." ??????? WTF? If he hadnt been caught, he would still be silent?
    He wouldn't be talking retirement all of the sudden, that's for sure. *nods*

If im not mistaken, the grad student witnessed Sandusky showering with the boy, not raping him. im not defending his actions but just trying to get the facts straight.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 11-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.

This link says the grad student witnessed molestation in the shower.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/452248...lege_football/

The beloved 84-year-old Paterno has been engulfed by outrage that he did not do more to stop Sandusky after a graduate assistant came to Paterno in 2002 after allegedly having seen the former assistant coach molesting a 10-year-old boy in the Penn State showers.

Oh and I'm sure everyone involved will "....be praying for the children." *rolls eyes* And, big shocker, as Joe was trying to explain how sorry he was, he got a standing ovation upon his exit. And yes, I believe this "one indiscretion" should forever tarnish Joe and his career. Is football more important than the welfare of our children? Apparently it is. It will never change, I'm just wasting my energy typing this....

Molesting (or sexually violating) children is the LOWEST OF THE LOW. Penn State and it's beloved football program will NEVER recover. Joe Paterno should have done something...and going to the authorities without hesitation would have been the best way to go. What I can't understand is this...if Sandusky was seen having "intercourse" with a boy in the shower then why did it get swept under the rug? And this incident happened on the grounds of Penn State University!

This is the WORST SCANDAL to hit a college football program in history and Penn State will never recover. Who on Earth would want to play football at the university where this SICK AS FUCK SHIT happened? Not anybody I know.

HAPPY VALLEY? Pfffft...Try SAD VALLEY from now on...LOL! Sandusky is a low-life piece of human shit who got through life on a double-standard (and a name brand) and then turned around and raped humanity (and Penn State) by violating the bodies and souls of these young men. SHAME ON HIM!!! He is a piece of human scum and should be treated that way. The Athletic Director and the others who hid this information should also be sent to prison for life. Let's be fair, folks.

And I will be anxious to see if there's any correlation of this missing DA Gricar from 2005 and this scandal. See post #20 above for more info on Gricar. I still cant help but wonder if Gricar planned to reopen the case or dig deeper. Maybe someone got wind of that and decided he didnt need to be snooping around. JMO
    Last edited by slingshot; 11-09-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Very intriguing point, slingshot...I think Sandusky (or Penn State's evil cronies) had this man liquidated...

And I will be anxious to see if there's any correlation of this missing DA Gricar from 2005 and this scandal. Se post #20 above for more info on Gricar. I still cant help but wonder if Gricar planned to reopen the case or dig deeper. Maybe someone got wind of that and decided he didnt need to be snooping around. JMO

Hmm.

VCNJ~
    WOW - I forgot all about this stuff! Great find, VCNJ.
    Yes it is. But the question remains, why did Gricar choose not prosecute Sandusky back in 1998? And if he wasnt going to prosecute him, why kill him? Hmmmm. Wonder if Gricar decided to change his mind and go forward with it? Lots of answered questions here.
    VCNJ, thank you so much for the reminder about Ray Gricar. VERY interesting coinkydink. Hmmmm...curiouser and curiouser.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    If im not mistaken, the grad student witnessed Sandusky showering with the boy, not raping him. im not defending his actions but just trying to get the facts straight.
    According to the Grand Jury report, he walked in on Sandusky actually doing the vile deed.

The description starts on page 6. I didn't want to put the actual text here, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do so.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.co...resentment.pdf

As a graduate of PSU I am so angry right now I could spit nails.

I had a graduate assistantship years ago (not in athletics!) but did come in contact with that department. I taught a basic class and one of the athletes didn't attend class. When I called the department about the situation I spoke with an assistant coach. He informed me that at no time has an athlete from PSU received any special consideration for classes and that I would learn quickly that PSU is a college of honor, truth and dignity (I immediately thought of Superman). I was confused because I didn't suggest any special preference of the kind. I just wanted the student to attend class and if he didn't I was going to fail him because of not attending the class. Guy was defensive.

Anyway, I never liked Paterno....and that was the joke in my house - "you go to Penn State and you don't like Paterno"? Yep. Could never stand the guy. Just got a vibe from him that made me not worship him the way others do. I also remember an incident where his wife Sue (major b*itchface) was complaining that students would bother them while they ate in a restaurant. She then said something to the effect that that's why we have private parties at our home so we can eat in peace with our friends. Just in case you didn't catch what I think of her - she's a royal bitch.

So now that I'm finished ranting I will say that I'm not surprised the chain of secrecy. The odd part is that I'm sure this wasn't as "secret" as people would think. I now work in a college and there's no such thing as secrets. People major in Vicious Gossip. I can't understand though why that feeble-minded, shriveled up old bastard gets to choose his retirement. His saggy wrinkly ass should be kicked to Atherton street.

But the real kick in the head was Paterno calling this a "situation that the kids got into"...."pray for them and GO BEAT NEBRASKA".

What more can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post

I had a graduate assistantship years ago (not in athletics!) but did come in contact with that department. I taught a basic class and one of the athletes didn't attend class. When I called the department about the situation I spoke with an assistant coach. He informed me that at no time has an athlete from PSU received any special consideration for classes and that I would learn quickly that PSU is a college of honor, truth and dignity (I immediately thought of Superman). I was confused because I didn't suggest any special preference of the kind. I just wanted the student to attend class and if he didn't I was going to fail him because of not attending the class. Guy was defensive.

Anyway, I never liked Paterno....and that was the joke in my house - "you go to Penn State and you don't like Paterno"? Yep. Could never stand the guy. Just got a vibe from him that made me not worship him the way others do. I also remember an incident where his wife Sue (major b*itchface) was complaining that students would bother them while they ate in a restaurant. She then said something to the effect that that's why we have private parties at our home so we can eat in peace with our friends. Just in case you didn't catch what I think of her - she's a royal bitch.

So now that I'm finished ranting I will say that I'm not surprised the chain of secrecy. The odd part is that I'm sure this wasn't as "secret" as people would think. I now work in a college and there's no such thing as secrets. People major in Vicious Gossip. I can't understand though why that feeble-minded, shriveled up old bastard gets to choose his retirement. His saggy wrinkly ass should be kicked to Atherton street.

But the real kick in the head was Paterno calling this a "situation that the kids got into"...."pray for them and GO BEAT NEBRASKA".

What more can I say?
    Thanks for your insight. And what I bolded says it all doesnt it? It will somehow be the kids fault and lets do the proverbial...."pray for the children..." chant then its off to make money and pretend football is the most important thing in the world.

Hand shake.

I really hated being hard on Penn State...but I just can't wrap my mind around this case. I mean, South Carolina's quarterback's coach does a little drinking and everybody knows about it...Isaiah Crowell (Georgia's freshman running back) smokes a little herb at UGA and everybody knows about it.

Penn State's Jerry Sandusky has anal sex with a 10-year-old boy on Penn State's campus...nothing is known about it for almost 10 years. Go figure...

What more can I say?

It's official...Joe Pa-ter-no...is officially retiring at the end of the season...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/09/justic...html?hpt=hp_c1

What more can I say?
    Well said. I'm an alum, as well, and I never understood or took part in the rampant hero worship of Joe Paterno. He came off as an arrogant curmudgeon to me.

There is plenty of shame to go around at Penn State. As for Paterno, he should leave today rather than at the end of the season. I don't think he gives a damn about the abused boys, at least not enough to have reported it back in 2002. Joe Pa really cares that his legacy is tainted, and he is only concerned about the boys now when it can be used for damage control. I don't buy it.
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 11-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.

I cannot imagine being that grad assistant, and doing nothing. I heard he witnessed the actual act. Maybe he thought the boy was of legal age?

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    I cannot imagine being that grad assistant, and doing nothing. I heard he witnessed the actual act. Maybe he thought the boy was of legal age?
    Check out the Grand Jury testimony in post #43, start at page 6. The grad asst did report it, to his dad first then he went to Joe's house the next day to tell him. I am scanning the report and it appears no one ever went back to get anything else from the grad asst.