Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Harrison

If you want a funny story about a dead musician

I read this in a magazine that belonged to a friend. George Harrison and Eric Clapton as you well know were best friends but Eric, much like the words in his songs, liked things that didn't belong to him. Eric decided that George's wife should and wrote the famous "Layla" tune to attract her attention. Unfortunately that didn't work the way Eric wanted but he wasn't one to quit so he felt the need to confront George and I don't know how the conversation went down but it was something close to:"Hey man, I really dig your wife and you are in my space. (Don't not quote me please!)
    George, always one for non-violence, ( It turns out he was paying nightly visits to Ringo's wife and when Ringo found out, he didn't subscribe to the non violence magazine that George was so high on lol) decided that he and best mate Eric needed to settle things so he went to find something which would help the situation. When he came back he had in his hands 2 electric guitars and an amplify. (I would have paid cash money to see the expression on Eric's face.) Well, to make a long story end, the two men had a battle of guitars for several hours. I don't know who won that exchange but I do know that George's wife turned Clapton down until she caught her husband in bed with Ringo's wife. Just thought you'd like to know.
    Who Better to laugh at what's inapproriate than me? Politically incorrect people like myself enjoy undaunted humor.

That lady was my grandma who past away 2 years ago. She was young and angry in this picture though lol. I guess someone needs to get out there and shovel.

I'm actually reading "Wonderful Tonight" by Pattie ("Layla") Boyd right now!

Money can buy me love. Ask Paul, and his ex wife.....what's her name......Peg? I'm sure the Lads all had their hands full. When I saw Yoko on Two Virgins, well......somethings are best left un-said.

The Beatle wives weren't angels, contrary to popular belief (except maybe Linda - though if I had snagged Paul McCartney at that time, I wouldn't have gone looking elsewhere either.)

Maureen (Ringo's missus) and Patty in particular were rather free with their affections, I think Patty went through all four of them before she settled on George, then ran off with Eric Clapton anyway.

Mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a few little illegitimate Lennons or McCartneys running around - especially in Hamburg.

My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGroupie View Post
    The Beatle wives weren't angels, contrary to popular belief (except maybe Linda - though if I had snagged Paul McCartney at that time, I wouldn't have gone looking elsewhere either.)

Maureen (Ringo's missus) and Patty in particular were rather free with their affections, I think Patty went through all four of them before she settled on George, then ran off with Eric Clapton anyway.

Mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a few little illegitimate Lennons or McCartneys running around - especially in Hamburg.
    Ringo was the cuttest one. (He didn't have the most talent but it had the cuttest face.) I never saw any of them naked and though I probably could have seen John I didn't care too but if you got pictures of Joe Cocker young and naked then we can talk.
    Who Better to laugh at what's inapproriate than me? Politically incorrect people like myself enjoy undaunted humor.

That lady was my grandma who past away 2 years ago. She was young and angry in this picture though lol. I guess someone needs to get out there and shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterGlam View Post
    I'm actually reading "Wonderful Tonight" by Pattie ("Layla") Boyd right now!

Is it good? I thought I would be interested in reading that but haven't gotten it yet.

It's interesting, but could have been written better, IMO. I'm at the part where she just met Eric Clapton. Haven't really read anything that I haven't heard before.

I'm writing a new book entitled "If only my underwear could talk"

(No I'm not I was just kidding I don't need that much attention lol.)

rocker cook book

I used to have this cookbook I got in a used bookstore. It had recipes from Peter Frampton and all sorts of rockers. Mainly vegetarian
    food if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I used to have this cookbook I got in a used bookstore. It had recipes from Peter Frampton and all sorts of rockers. Mainly vegetarian
    food if I recall.
    I feel I must asked this question: Way off the subject I know but then I'm way off to begin with. Why is it that some people that are veggitarrians are also pot smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Ringo was the cuttest one. (He didn't have the most talent but it had the cuttest face.)
    Ringo was also the funniest:

Interviewer: "Are you a Mod--or a Rocker?"

Ringo: "I'm a Mocker!"
    I think I swallowed a bug.

Keith Richards has surpassed all musicians as the funniest. He climbs coconut trees and gets accused of snorting his father up his nose. If he did half the stuff on stage that he was accused of doing off then people would follow him like the Greatful Dead.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    I feel I must asked this question: Way off the subject I know but then I'm way off to begin with. Why is it that some people that are veggitarrians are also pot smokers?

Probably the same reasons that non-vegetarians are

Besides, vegetarians are all about plant consumption, aren't they?

George Harrison

[SIZE=6]George Harrison[/SIZE]

Born: 25-Feb-1943 [SIZE=-1][1][/SIZE]
    Birthplace: Liverpool, England
    Died: 29-Nov-2001
    Location of death: Beverly Hills, CA
    Cause of death: Cancer - Lung
    Remains: Cremated, The Ganges and Yamuna rivers, India

Religion: Hindu
    Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: England
    Executive summary: Beatle

George Harrison was born to Liverpool bus driver Harold Harrison and his wife Louise. While attending Liverpool Institute he became friends with school mate Paul McCartney. It was during this period that Harrison performed with The Rebels, a short-lived skiffle group he formed alongside his brother Pete and close friend Arthur Kelly. After the Rebels, Harrison was brought to the attention of McCartney's unit The Quarrymen, led by singer/guitarist John Lennon. Harrison's undeniable skill with his instrument (demonstrated by a flawless performance of the Bill Justis instrumental piece Raunchy), combined with his bloody persistence, inevitably won over the older musician and landed him the role of lead guitarist in 1958.

In 1959 Harrison landed an additional gig as guitarist for The Les Stewart Quartet. A split between Stewart and the rest of the quartet in August of 1959 led to a partial combination of both bands under the Quarrymen name, which endured until October, performing as the house band at The Casbah Club. The Lennon/McCartney/Harrison line-up spent a brief period performing as Johnny and The Moondogs before adding bassist Stuart Sutcliffe in January of 1960, who re-named them The Beatals. The Beatals became The Silver Beetles, followed in rapid succession by The Silver Beatles, The Silver Beats and finally The Beatles in August of 1960. It was, of course, under this last name that the group traveled to Hamburg and began to establish both their musical style and the germ of their reputation -- although the first visit would be interrupted by then-underage Harrision's deportation back to England. By the end of their second German visit and their subsequent appearances at The Cavern Club, the Beatles were poised to attain huge success -- a potential that would be realized through the help of manager Brian Epstein.

The trio formed the Beatles' line-up with drummer Ringo Starr in 1962. Yet the persistent tendency of Lennon and McCartney to take their younger bandmate less seriously led to resentment on Harrison's part -- a situation aggravated by the frustration of having only a few of his compositions represented on each release. It wasn't until the year prior to the dissolution of the Beatles that one of his contributions was released as a single -- the track in question, Something, eventually became one of the band's most covered songs. It was Harrison that introduced elements of Indian music into the Beatles' recordings (first realized on the track Norwegian Wood, from the album Rubber Soul, 1965), the guitarist's interest in the form leading him to embark on a period of study with classical Indian performer Ravi Shankar in the mid 60s. In 1969 this cultural interest was expanded to include India's spiritual ideas; two years later Harrison began an association with Shrila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the Krishna Consciousness Society. The religious practices learned were maintained throughout the rest of his life.
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

Part 2

It was these cultural interests that prompted Harrison to establish a musical output and identity separate from the Beatles, his first two solo projects being the partially Bombay-recorded soundtrack to the Joe Massot film Wonderwall (1968) and The Radha-Krishna Temple Album (1969), a recording he produced of ISKCON religious chants. In the unconventional vein of John Lennon's first two solo releases, he then issued the primitive analog synthesizer collection Electronic Sounds (1969). After the final dissolution of the Beatles in 1970, Harrison wasted no time launching his solo career with the triple-record set All Things Must Pass (1970); its first single My Sweet Lord was the first track by any of the former Beatles to reach the top of the charts. Six years later the song would be a source of legal problems for the guitarist, when a legal suit was successfully pressed on the basis of its resemblance to The Chiffons' popular single He's So Fine from 1962. A second triple LP set followed in 1972, this time collecting performances from Harrison's Concert for Bangla Desh -- a benefit event staged in Madison Square Garden with the participation of Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Leon Russell and others.
    Harrison's releases during the remainder of the decade were given a mixed and increasingly indifferent reception, although Thirty-Three & 1/3 (the first album issued through his own Dark Horse imprint) did return him into the top 30 with the single This Song. A brief resurgence in popularity followed the 1981 release of Somewehere in England, which included the John Lennon tribute piece All Those Years Ago (and featured contributions from Ringo, Paul and Linda McCartney); but its successor Gone Troppo (1982) marked the lowest point of his career, and Harrison subsequently abandoned his musical output for the next several years. In the 80s the guitarist instead focused on his interest in car racing, and on his movie production company Handmade Films. It was through this latter project that his most significant output of this period was accomplished, his financial support making possible the creation of such films as Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979), Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits (1981), and the Michael Palin vehicle The Missionary (1982).
    With the appearance of the Jeff Lynne-produced album Cloud Nine, a top-ten entry that spawned four top-ten singles (the #1 Got My Mind Set On You, Devil's Radio, When We Was Fab, and Cloud 9). This was to be the last solo studio effort released during his lifetime. Harrison and Lynne then continued their collaborative work as The Traveling Wilburys, an all-star ensemble that also included Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty; their debut collection The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 once again returned the guitarist to the upper reaches of the charts, as did the singles Handle With Care, Last Night, End Of The Line, and Heading For The Light. Orbison suffered a fatal heart attack several weeks after the album's release, and the remaining members re-convened two years later to create The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 3. With the exception of a document of his 1991 Japanese tour with Clapton (released in 1992 as Live in Japan), Harrison spent the first half of the 1990s away from the public attention that he grown to dislike so thoroughly. In the last few years leading up to his death, George Harrison re-entered public life with yet another flurry of activity. An improbable reunion with the two surviving Beatles took place in 1995 for the three volume Anthology CD series and its 8-part documentary counterpart -- a series which included two "new" Beatles pieces Free As A Bird and Real Love (actually a pair of Lennon demos embellished by the three other members and producer Lynne into full-scale tracks). Two much less pleasant incidents were next: the first being the announcement of his struggle with throat (and then lung) cancer, and the second being his repeated stabbing at the hands of a mentally unbalanced fan (claiming to be on "a mission from God") who broke into his Oxfordshire home in December 1999. Work on another studio album was underway at the start of the 00s, but its completion was cut short when Harrison's lung cancer spread to his brain in November of 2001. At the guitarist's request, his remains were cremated and scattered over the River Ganges in India. The unfinished studio work, Brainwashed, was later completed by his son Dhani Harrison and collaborator Jeff Lynne and released a year after his death. The month of the album's release, a tribute event (The Concert For George) was organized at the Royal Albert Hall in London, featuring a roster of Harrison's past associates that included both surviving Beatles, Dhani, Lynne, Clapton, Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi Shankar and his daughter Anoushka Shankar, Gary Brooker, Joe Brown, four of the five surviving members of Monty Python, and many others.

George was my favorite Beetle, especially towards the end of them, he was so calm and spiritual.

Member since 10/10/07

Seemed like a nice fellow.

Nice video. They were all so handsome.

I was so devastated when George died. I grew up listening to the Beatles and I was just crushed. Me and my dad cried together when we found out. One of only 3 times in my life I've seen my dad cry. lol

Nice article cachluv, thank you. Wife and I big Beatle fans.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

He was the first of the fab four to have a number one (and platinum) album after they broke up. Very under rated lead guitarist in my view.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

He was indeed underrated BUT he probably also had the most peaceful, peaceable existence as well so after the early '70s when he was so very successful on his own he probably didn't care how others regarded him.

You're welcome cleanskull! More to come!!

you gotta love George

Lovely article. George is my favorite.

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

He is my favorite Beatle too because he was so underated as a song writer.
    Here Comes the Sun is a terrific song and My Sweet Lord is just beautiful.

I bumped into George (almost literally) in Venice beach, Ca. He smiled at me and said hi, jumped on his motorcycle and drove away. I swooned. He was my favorite in the later years too.

Thank you for posting this. There is a treasure trove of Beatles stuff there!
    Defunct the strings, Of cemetery things
    With one flat foot.....On the devil's wing

If anyone is interested in George's sordid sex life, he's mentioned in the book, "You'll Never Make Love in this Town Again". Great stuff in that one!

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    He is my favorite Beatle too because he was so underated as a song writer.
    Here Comes the Sun is a terrific song and My Sweet Lord is just beautiful.
    It is obvious he came into his own as a songwriter after they broke up, but I read that he was beginning to have more influence in the Beatles songwriting towards the end. Would have added a whole new dimension to the band if they went on I think.

Even though I knew his death was imminent, when he did die, I couldn't help the tears streaming down my face as I watched the news. Such a sad end, especially hearing Ringo talk about how George wanted to know if he wanted him to come with him to visit Ringo's daughter, who was also facing a brain tumor. Seems like it was in his last days, and it really touched Ringo that even as he lay dying, he was concerned for his friend.
    Blanche: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.
    Jane: But you *are*, Blanche! You *are* in that chair!

George's son Dhani looks very much like him. During the Concert for George, Olivia made the comment that watching Dhani on stage with the others was as if George had stayed young and everyone else grew old.

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by janel View Post
    George's son Dhani looks very much like him. During the Concert for George, Olivia made the comment that watching Dhani on stage with the others was as if George had stayed young and everyone else grew old.
    ----------------

Olivia didn't say that. Paul McCartney did.

i was with a friend when georges death was reported on tv. my friend got his mri back the same day,confirming the same cancer george had,had spread to his brain stem.

Paul explained that Olivia had made the comment to him.

My favorite beatle too and also the cutest in my opinion.
    I love Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and The Inner Light.
    "She's got Greta Garbo 'stand off sigh'
    She's got Bette Davis eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    If anyone is interested in George's sordid sex life, he's mentioned in the book, "You'll Never Make Love in this Town Again". Great stuff in that one!
    I never read that book. What does it say about his sex life?
    "She's got Greta Garbo 'stand off sigh'
    She's got Bette Davis eyes"

If I recall - something to do with whips, maybe? It's been awhile since I read it, but he's mentioned in there, along with Don Henley, John Ritter, and quite a few others.

It was written by some LA call girls - telling all about their experiences with various famous men -and woman - Vanna White is mentioned too!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    If I recall - something to do with whips, maybe? It's been awhile since I read it, but he's mentioned in there, along with Don Henley, John Ritter, and quite a few others.

It was written by some LA call girls - telling all about their experiences with various famous men -and woman - Vanna White is mentioned too!
    Is that the one with the three bimbos, one was named "Liza" and she was blonde, the other two brunettes. They have the preclude as being they're trying to raise awareness for teen prostitution, but you could tell it was just for the dough, which is fine by me.
    I don't recall George Harrison stories, but the one chick says John Ritter made it with her like 5 times in one afternoon, and Timothy Hutton tried to get another into a threesome with another guy, whom she said Timothy was into. All three were drug addicts, too, if I recall.
    I forgot about Vanna White, but there was the section of that Crystal Bernard woman who one claims was majorly into the ladies.
    What do you mean, what do I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iGhqDHlWE

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Is that the one with the three bimbos, one was named "Liza" and she was blonde, the other two brunettes. They have the preclude as being they're trying to raise awareness for teen prostitution, but you could tell it was just for the dough, which is fine by me.
    I don't recall George Harrison stories, but the one chick says John Ritter made it with her like 5 times in one afternoon, and Timothy Hutton tried to get another into a threesome with another guy, whom she said Timothy was into. All three were drug addicts, too, if I recall.
    I forgot about Vanna White, but there was the section of that Crystal Bernard woman who one claims was majorly into the ladies.
    George is in that one, along with Sylvestor Stallone and Don Simpson.

They put out a sequel to the book called "Once More With Feeling" altho it wasn't as good as the first one.

Highly recommended book for those into reading about the sordid sex lives of stars. You can find them on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Loved George he seemed like such a gentle kind man.
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

love George!
    I like his solo stuff,but i do like the beatles too.
    Didn't someone break into his home and stab him or try to?
    I think this happened a bit before he died.

Yes, some nutcase broke in and stabbed George. Olivia fought off the intruder, what a woman! Family Guy did a small bit about this event. Peter was the guard on George's estate. He was sidetracked by the show Charles In Charge and fail to see the intruder climb over a wall.

TNpuck Guest
    Loved his cameo in The Rutles. LOL. I think his acoustic demo of "While my guitar gently weeps" is probably my favorite recording of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Cross View Post
    I never read that book. What does it say about his sex life?
    Didn't Eric Clapton take off with one of his wives?

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Didn't Eric Clapton take off with one of his wives?
    He fell in love with Patti Harrison while she was still married to George & wrote the song "Layla" for her. She married Clapton after she was divorced from Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by janel View Post
    Yes, some nutcase broke in and stabbed George. Olivia fought off the intruder, what a woman! Family Guy did a small bit about this event. Peter was the guard on George's estate. He was sidetracked by the show Charles In Charge and fail to see the intruder climb over a wall.
    Anbother reason to hate Family Guy. Stabbing someone is not something to joke about. Fuck that show.

I was CRUSHED when George died..... I am a true Beatles NUT and was absolutely devastated. Dhani is so much like him, it's almost creepy.

George wasn't my favourite, but he was a very close second to Paul.

BTW, George was actually a Krisna, not a Hindu.

My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

i liked george harrison even though he was not my favorite beatle..i like to think of him in one of my favorite movies "a hard days night" not his later years when that asshole doctor was trying to get him to sign a guitar for his son and said he didn't know if could even spell his own name. that just makes me sad

Did Cynthia Plastercaster ever get to do the Beatles? Also a thread for nude Rockstars would be entertaining and satisfying!