Thread: Death by totem pole

Death by totem pole

Bizarre local case here in Northern MN..

The couple in question owned a business in Northern MN crafting totem poles (yes really). It was quite successful and they had sold them all around the world (including to Princess Di's park in the UK).

Husband meets a woman who calls looking for a totem pole, starts internet affair with her, a month later wife dies after a totem pole they were working on landed on her suspiciously.

Police never bought his version of events and eventually charged him. He pled guilty yesterday, only days before his trial was supposed to begin.

Interesting to note that the state had planned to truck the weapon (totem pole) into the courtroom by removing a window and placing it on view for all.

I have seen two different accounts, one said it weighed 700lbs, another said 3200.

Not a good way to go
    http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/255245/
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Bizarre local case here in Northern MN..

The couple in question owned a business in Northern MN crafting totem poles (yes really). It was quite successful and they had sold them all around the world (including to Princess Di's park in the UK).

Husband meets a woman who calls looking for a totem pole, starts internet affair with her, a month later wife dies after a totem pole they were working on landed on her suspiciously.

Police never bought his version of events and eventually charged him. He pled guilty yesterday, only days before his trial was supposed to begin.

Interesting to note that the state had planned to truck the weapon (totem pole) into the courtroom by removing a window and placing it on view for all.

I have seen two different accounts, one said it weighed 700lbs, another said 3200.

Not a good way to go
    http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/255245/
    Were the rules of evidence in Minnesota written by Norwegians? Is there something in the state code of criminal procedure to prevent them from holding an on-site hearing? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that that would be a lot less troublesome and costly than removing a window so they can truck a totem pole into the courtroom.

You be careful out among them English.
    I'm a wobbly, he's a wobbly, she's a wobbly, we're all wobblies - wouldn't you like to be a wobbly, too?
    Don't mess with the banjo player - he's hard core, dude!
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Were the rules of evidence in Minnesota written by Norwegians? Is there something in the state code of criminal procedure to prevent them from holding an on-site hearing? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that that would be a lot less troublesome and costly than removing a window so they can truck a totem pole into the courtroom.
    hahaha, well the trial was moved to another county for pre-trial publicity ... but yeah, it makes more sense!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

I think you should run for office in Minnesota Rosebud. You cutting edge ideas could really shake things up there. Haha

"Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    I think you should run for office in Minnesota Rosebud. You cutting edge ideas could really shake things up there. Haha
    I wouldn't stand a chance. I could never master the art of Minnesota nice. Even Ohio nice is a challenge for me. Some days the best I can manage is German nice, which is kind of like NYC nice. Picture Dustin "Hey, I'm WALKIN' here!" Hoffman in Asphalt Cowboy.

On the other hand, I do know how to use "most guys" constructions. As in "Most guys wouldn't weld that close to the gas tank."

Surely that guy must have set some kind of record with the size of his pole.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.

I'm a wobbly, he's a wobbly, she's a wobbly, we're all wobblies - wouldn't you like to be a wobbly, too?
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

They can't be all that nice if they're killing one another with totem poles haha

"Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

I've ways felt totem poles cauase violence and we need to reform our laws on their control.

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I've ways felt totem poles cauase violence and we need to reform our laws on their control.
    You do realize that this totem pole killing was staged as part of a massive conspiracy by the federal government to curtail our totem polling rights, don't you? Otherwise, why isn't there any video of this?

But if totem poles are outlawed, then only outlaws will have totem poles! Still, I'd be willing to go along with ownership background checks, reasonable height and weight limits, and a ban on totem poles within say 50 yards of a school, playground or hospital.

Or we could just ensure that private citizens have the right to own mini-Gatling guns. They make it easy to cut down those evil totem poles before they are able to advance on their victims.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-11-2013 at 04:24 AM.

You do realize that this totem pole killing was staged as part of a massive conspiracy by the federal government to curtail our totem polling rights, don't you? Otherwise, why isn't there any video of this?

But if totem poles are outlawed, then only outlaws will have totem poles! Still, I'd be willing to go along with ownership background checks, reasonable height and weight limits, and a ban on totem poles within say 50 yards of a school, playground or hospital.

Or we could just ensure that private citizens have the right to own mini-Gatling guns. They make it easy to cut down those evil totem poles before they are able to advance on their victims.
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    I like you.
    Thanks, that makes 1-1/2 of us.
    It took a long time to get a concealed carry permit for my sarcasm, so I try to be a responsible sarcasm owner.
    Now I'm off to study for my totem pole safety certificate.
    I want to get certified before the next spate of totem pole killings, then I can make a fortune being the guy who hauls all the totem poles into court.
    Dontcha think that poor woman's last words were probably: "Ya know, most guys probably wouldn't erect an improperly supported pole that close to their wife"?
    Either that or maybe "Oh, look now, it's all still crooked honey. A little more to your right . . . I said, to your RIGHT! Ahhhhhhh!"
    Or maybe they were locked in a struggle over the totem pole and it just went off.

Thanks, that makes 1-1/2 of us.
    It took a long time to get a concealed carry permit for my sarcasm, so I try to be a responsible sarcasm owner.
    Now I'm off to study for my totem pole safety certificate.
    I want to get certified before the next spate of totem pole killings, then I can make a fortune being the guy who hauls all the totem poles into court.
    Dontcha think that poor woman's last words were probably: "Ya know, most guys probably wouldn't erect an improperly supported pole that close to their wife"?
    Either that or maybe "Oh, look now, it's all still crooked honey. A little more to your right . . . I said, to your RIGHT! Ahhhhhhh!"
    Or maybe they were locked in a struggle over the totem pole and it just went off.
    More than that I text my sister a copy of your response to lighten her day she loved it!

Haaaa!! "Honey, the client wanted the top to be an *eagle* head, not a beagle head! Now we have to carve it ALL OVER again, dammit!...hey, what're you doin'?..."

Before reading the thread, I pictured death by totem pole as a poor victim being segmented into head/torso and being glued/carved/spliced in with the bear head or whatever else gets added to one of them things!
    "I like my big old granny panties, but I don't want them big enough to bunch up and make it look like I shit my pants." - Mammy