Thread: Dolly Parton's Steel Magnolia Murder House

Dolly Parton's Steel Magnolia Murder House

Didn't know if any of you guys heard of this or not.
    Not far at all from where I live!
    http://aldtalks.blogspot.com/2010/07...magnolias.html

A year after the filming, Phillip Deselle murdered a little girl inside of "Truvy's" house. She was just selling candy for gods sake.

In 1990, 11 year old Averie Grace Evans was selling candy door-to-door as a fund raiser for her school in Natchitoches, Louisiana. DeSelle lured her into his home where he murdered her. He disposed of her bicycle in a local lake and dumped her body into a dumpster. Her bicycle was recovered, but her body was not.

Averie was a straight A student, a violinist, and was active and well loved in her community. She was granddaughter, daughter, sister, niece, and friend. Her passing has changed the course of all our lives and we miss her desperately.

Deselle confessed fully to the crime in a written statement. Because her body was not recovered, prosecutors offered DeSelle a plea agreement. He plead guilty to manslaughter and kidnapping and was sentenced to 50 years in prison. He is currently incarcerated in Wade Correctional Facility in Houma, Louisiana.

It is the sincere wish of Averie Grace Evan’s family that no other families are made to suffer such a loss at the hands of Phillip DeSelle. A person who could so callously and viciously murdered a child to whom the future held such promise, given the opportunity, is capable of murdering again. Please help us keep him from harming another child.

A bright light has been extinguished and it is our job to make sure darkness does not prevail.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 11-12-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    I knew that I did not want to be a statistic, that I wanted happiness within, and I wanted to be present because I knew what a great mover I was. I could move things and make things happen.

Truvy's house? Where M'lynn and Shelby's went to get their hair done for Shelby's Pepto Bismol wedding, and where Annelle did M'lynn's hair like a brown football helmet?

That's just wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Truvy's house? Where M'lynn and Shelby's went to get their hair done for Shelby's Pepto Bismol wedding, and where Annelle did M'lynn's hair like a brown football helmet?

That's just wrong!
    Unfortunately yes.
    I knew that I did not want to be a statistic, that I wanted happiness within, and I wanted to be present because I knew what a great mover I was. I could move things and make things happen.

They have never found her body yet they gave that bastard a plea bargin? I hope someone slices and dices his ass.

I never knew about this, I hope someone gets him, Makes me sick when someone hurts a child and an animal.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer.

Can you please send the link? Thats so so sad.

Jesus. I love that movie. That's just going to bum me out.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

Thanks Lucky One, I had not heard this before. How sad.

Never could make it through that film but this makes me want to try again.

Okay. WHO sends an 11 y/o door to door? Even in 1990 things were bad enough that it shouldn't happen. There should have been a parent or an older person on the sidewalk waiting. That being said, I hope this POS gets his in jail.

Oh no. That is soooo sad!! I hate when bodies aren't recovered. Her family will never fully get closure. I don't know how people deal with that. It would drive me crazy.

Manslaughter?

Life goes on.

A First for me..Who owns the house?
    R.I.P. Larry Hagman

Well, I was born in 1980 and I remember going door to door in my neighborhood as late as 1998. I guess it really depends on how safe you feel the neighborhood is. For instance, in the last month, I've had two children come to my door. I also live in one of the safest cities in the country. But, you never know...

geez thats sad and then manslaugter my gosh u can get more time for freakin smokin pot! are justice system blows!

I wouldn't send my child door to door alone, but even going with them is no guarantee they will be safe. Danielle Van Dam sold Girl Scout cookies to David Westerfield just a week or two before she was abducted from her own bedroom and murdered and her mom and brothers were with Danielle when she sold him the cookies. He may have just got a better look at Danielle then and decided to take her when he had the chance.

That's so very sad! I, too, sold for fundraisers door-to-door when I was a kid in the early 90's. We just trusted our neighborhood and knew which houses not to go to. Now, when my children have fundraisers, there are big bold sentences that state to NEVER go door-to-door to sell and instead try to sell to family or have family members take the order-forms to co-workers, etc.
    "For mine is a generation that circles the globe in search of something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience, and if it hurts, you know what? It was probably worth it." ~The Beach~

www.minlynn.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post

That's just wrong!
    It was Blush and Bashful.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylene View Post
    It was Blush and Bashful.
    It was pink and pink.

All joking and movie quoting aside, what a horrible thing to happen in "Truvy's" house! I hope that bastard gets his in prison, and if he's with the general population, he will eventually.

I don't let my kids go door-to-door selling stuff for fundraisers. When they have fundraisers their orders come from me, Jeremy, their grandparents and other family members, our close family friends, and Jeremy's and my coworkers. No door-to-door at all.
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I wouldn't send my child door to door alone, but even going with them is no guarantee they will be safe. Danielle Van Dam sold Girl Scout cookies to David Westerfield just a week or two before she was abducted from her own bedroom and murdered and her mom and brothers were with Danielle when she sold him the cookies. He may have just got a better look at Danielle then and decided to take her when he had the chance.
    The cookie sale was only two or three days before her abduction, not a week or two. And it was her mom and only one of her brothers who were with her. The children were running around, both inside and outside his house, so Westerfield didnít get much of a look at her. If he wanted to get a better look, why didnít he invite them back? As the children had shown an interest in his pool, that would have been natural, it wouldnít have seemed suspicious. Yet instead he showed an interest in one of her momís adult girl friends, he said he held adult parties, and he invited her mom to night clubs.

There had been a cookie sale the previous year, and a gift wrap sale, but there is no indication that he showed an interest in Danielle on those occasions either. It doesnít seem plausible that he would suddenly switch from no interest to a deadly interest.

Westerfield got a good look at her when they were standing there talking about cookies and whatever, the police found her blood in his mobile home, and on his clothing, can't see how someone would think Westerfield did not kill her, but anyway, It's hard for me to watch Steel Magnolias now without thinking of what's going to happen a year later to Averie Grace Evans. Anyone know if her body has been found yet?
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~

I never knew about this! How horrible!

I remember the crime, but had no clue about the location.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.--Vincent Van Gogh

Danielle and Averie

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Westerfield got a good look at her when they were standing there talking about cookies and whatever, the police found her blood in his mobile home, and on his clothing, can't see how someone would think Westerfield did not kill her, but anyway, It's hard for me to watch Steel Magnolias now without thinking of what's going to happen a year later to Averie Grace Evans. Anyone know if her body has been found yet?
    Heíd have had just as good a look at her on the previous occasions.

Yes, the police did report finding her blood - one drop and one small stain - but you must take into account that they were neighbors. That makes a difference. A big difference. A fundamental difference. Because that blood could have been innocently left there at some previous time. And there is evidence that it was old blood: the search dogs didnít detect her scent in his mobile home.

Itís easy to think Westerfield didnít kill her. The kidnapper spent an hour in her house, but the police could find no evidence Westerfield had been there. The search dogs didnít detect her scent in his home either. The body dump site is a meadow, which at that time was only accessible off a dirt track, yet the police could find no evidence heíd been there either. And the entomology evidence - a technique used mainly by the police, not the defense - showed that her body was dumped at least a few days after he was placed under round-the-clock surveillance. Add all that together, and it gives much more than ďreasonable doubtĒ.

Iím not familiar with Averieís case, but I have now googled her name, and it seems that they did quite a thorough search for her body but without success.

I doubt she went into his house and bled, explain her blood on his clothing please? He could have cleaned with something that threw the scent of the dogs off, bleach can do that, blood can be considered old after a day or two, how old did they say the blood was? but it does not mean that he didn't kill her. they could find no evidence as how many people knew about that spot and walked around there, did it rain prior to them searching the area, was there a heavy frost?, if it were a grassy meadow, foot prints would be hard to see, as the grass does spring back up. I worked for and assisted at a Medical Examiners office,

It makes me sick to my stomach that Phillip Louis DeSelle has been release with time off for good behavior. At least he has to wear a monitor for the rest of his sorry ass life.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I doubt she went into his house and bled, explain her blood on his clothing please? He could have cleaned with something that threw the scent of the dogs off, bleach can do that, blood can be considered old after a day or two, how old did they say the blood was? but it does not mean that he didn't kill her. they could find no evidence as how many people knew about that spot and walked around there, did it rain prior to them searching the area, was there a heavy frost?, if it were a grassy meadow, foot prints would be hard to see, as the grass does spring back up. I worked for and assisted at a Medical Examiners office,
    Iíve addressed that small bloodstain on his jacket on another thread.

Police were in his trailer within hours of his return from his trip, yet they did not smell any bleach, despite bleach having a strong smell. Search dogs can detect a scent for several days afterwards. They were used in his house and on the outside of his trailer just two days after the kidnapping (and inside his trailer on the fourth day), so their failure to detect her scent shows that the blood was older than two to four days, and therefore before the kidnapping and not from the kidnapping. One of the dogs in question had followed the route of the cookie sale, which was before the kidnapping, and was outdoors and on public roads where many people would have walked. So that dog in particular should have had no difficulty detecting her scent indoors if it was only two days old.

What spot are you referring to: the spot of blood in his trailer, or the spot where the body was dumped? The dump site was hidden, there was thick brush between it and the road, so probably few people, only locals, knew about it.

There was probably light frost at the dump site early in the month (so in the first days after the kidnapping), and light rain (a quarter inch) in the middle of the month. Based on the entomology evidence, the body was probably dumped there at the time of that rain.

The meadow was grassy, but there should have been footprints (or tire tracks) on the dirt track. The police took soil samples and vegetation samples, but there was no match to Westerfield. There were two drag trails there, but the grass hadnít yet sprung back up.

Police were in his trailer within hours...he could have had plenty of time to clean, search dogs were used two days after the kidnapping inside on the fourth day, yes they can smell bleach, it, does however, keep them from picking up the scent of blood, I remember being at a scene where a man murdered his wife, cleaned up with bleach, the dogs could not detect any blood, they had to have a CSI team in there with luminol and black lights to even see the blood, search dogs are not 100 percent on, again as I said blood can be old from a few hours after to a day after, the spot of blood in the trailer and the blood on his clothing, I don't buy that she went in there cut herself and bled and then touched his clothing, I don't know any kid that would bleed and touch someone, other than a parent, as I stated she would be wanting her mom to get her a bandaid or something to wrap around it, we are hijacking this thread and should take this elsewhere as this thread isn't about Westerfield or Danielle but about Averie, and Deselle.

Police were in his trailer within hours...he could have had plenty of time to clean, search dogs were used two days after the kidnapping inside on the fourth day, yes they can smell bleach, it, does however, keep them from picking up the scent of blood, I remember being at a scene where a man murdered his wife, cleaned up with bleach, the dogs could not detect any blood, they had to have a CSI team in there with luminol and black lights to even see the blood, search dogs are not 100 percent on, again as I said blood can be old from a few hours after to a day after, the spot of blood in the trailer and the blood on his clothing, I don't buy that she went in there cut herself and bled and then touched his clothing, I don't know any kid that would bleed and touch someone, other than a parent, as I stated she would be wanting her mom to get her a bandaid or something to wrap around it, we are hijacking this thread and should take this elsewhere as this thread isn't about Westerfield or Danielle but about Averie, and Deselle.
    In the hours after returning from his trip, Westerfield was mostly at home, and much of that time was with the police, so he had little time for cleaning, especially cleaning his trailer.

There were multiple crimes scenes in this case (assuming Westerfield is guilty): his house, his car, and his trailer - and also, in this context (cleaning and scent dogs), Danielle’s house. Even if he had plenty of time to clean, that’s a lot of places to clean. And don’t forget, he did a lot of driving that weekend - the desert is a long way away. So much less time for cleaning.

Search dogs were first used on the day of the kidnapping. One of those dogs, asked to pick up Danielle’s direction of travel, instead of going straight to Westerfield’s house, started to follow the cookie sale route (and only diverged from it right at the end, when it continued down the road instead of crossing over to go to his house).

The police could smell bleach in only one place: one side of his garage. Not even on the other side of his garage, not anywhere in his house, not in his car, not in his trailer - and not in Danielle’s house. So yes, bleach could have prevented the dogs detecting her scent or his scent, but bleach hadn’t been used so this is irrelevant.

There was so little blood in this case, that it would have been difficult for the dogs to detect that scent, bleach or no bleach. It’s the scent of the person I was primarily talking about, but also a cadaver scent in the case of his trailer. And yes, search dogs are not 100%, but in this case we are talking about several dogs, on several days, and it’s extremely unlikely that all of them were always wrong.

Yes, there are techniques for detecting blood after an attempted clean-up. I didn’t find any mention of luminol specifically in this case, but they did use an alternate light source, and a poly light, and some unnamed chemicals to do some presumptive tests, which I presume could have included luminol. But despite all that, no other Danielle blood was detected in his environment.

By saying that the blood was old, I was not referring to any physical test, such as if it was dried. (Though I could point out that one of the DNA markers from the drop of blood in the trailer didn’t initially show any DNA types, suggesting it had been there for quite some time, long enough for it to start to degrade.) I merely meant that, based on other evidence (specifically the dog scent evidence), it was deposited there prior to the kidnapping.

I wasn’t thinking of Danielle wiping blood on his jacket while he was wearing it, but while it was say hanging over the back of a chair.

Bleeding can result not only from someone cutting themselves, or specifically Danielle cutting herself while in his trailer. I was specifically thinking of two other sources: a dog scratch and a nosebleed. Because both those possibilities were mentioned in this case.

If this debate goes any further, then I am happy for it to be taken elsewhere. I’ve just spent a lot of time on my replies, especially this reply - I like to ensure my facts are accurate - and didn’t feel like spending any extra time moving it.
    Last edited by Curiosity; 05-09-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling correction