Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    that's interesting, since all three wives were Hispanic women
    Spouse(s) :
    Josephine Alicia Saenz (1933-1945)
    Esperanza Baur (1946-1953)
    Pilar Pallete (1954-1979) (his death)
    Yeah and he insisted on hiring true native americans on the various shoots and the story lines were pretty positive for Indians even when he was killing them.
    In Hondo as the Cavalry rides up to drive the Apache off to a reservation he sadly says "it is the end of a good way of life".
    I think maybe this perception of anti-Indian comes because he, being a strong right wing conservative I seldom agreed with, took a hardline when the Native American activitists took over Alcatraz.
    He was very publically livid about what he perceived as disrespect for public property and the rule of law. He felt much the same way about anyone who disagreed with the VietNam war etc.
    I loved him in his movies and I loved that he was at least passionate about issues and life all though we were om very opposite sides of most issues..
    I would like to think he is still riding the range on a good Buckskin ghost horse carrying his Henry Rifle or haunting his beloved yacht, The Wild Goose, chasing sailfish off Catalina Island. It was a retired converted mine sweeper and he made a big deal out of raising or lowering the flag whenever he was on board. The two pictures are of his boat and of the Duke taking a launch from the Goose to his movie set. They were filming on the coast and he actually stayed on the boat during filming. He also had stomach cancer and was undergoing treatment at the time. That is why he has a liquid meal in his hand. He never missed a day of filming. I think the movie was the Son's of Katie Elder if I remember correctly.
    His views were different from mine but he was not disingenuous and made several attempts to join the service but was flunked for knee and joint problems each time.
    Well Pilgrim.... wherever you are I hope you are healthy and happy with warm women and cold drinks! Cross dresser??? This is one lesbian that doesn't buy it for a second!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Images Attached Images

An American Icon

When you think "American", you think about John Wayne! Rest In Peace Duke!
    Last edited by salvatore1989; 09-30-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: photo

The gullibility of people never ceases to amaze me. Say that John Wayne dressed in women's clothing and *poof* people believe it without any evidence whatsoever! Amazing! Some dupes likely still think J. Edgar Hoover wore women's clothes (((((NEWSFLASH))))) it's a lie.

John Wayne played John Wayne on the screen like Henry Fonda played Henry Fonda, Cary Grant played Cary Grant, etc. If you want to see the man act, catch The Searchers and then tell me he couldn't act.

Also, I don't care if John Wayne didn't like this group or that bunch, it does not diminish him in any way. Many of you might be stunned to know of the personal prejudices of the famous and the infamous. Everyone has them to one degree or another. I happen to know that tree bark and light switches are totally without any prejudices whatsoever, does that endow them with nobility?

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    The gullibility of people never ceases to amaze me. Say that John Wayne dressed in women's clothing and *poof* people believe it without any evidence whatsoever! Amazing! Some dupes likely still think J. Edgar Hoover wore women's clothes (((((NEWSFLASH))))) it's a lie.

John Wayne played John Wayne on the screen like Henry Fonda played Henry Fonda, Cary Grant played Cary Grant, etc. If you want to see the man act, catch The Searchers and then tell me he couldn't act.

Also, I don't care if John Wayne didn't like this group or that bunch, it does not diminish him in any way. Many of you might be stunned to know of the personal prejudices of the famous and the infamous. Everyone has them to one degree or another. I happen to know that tree bark and light switches are totally without any prejudices whatsoever, does that endow them with nobility?
    The rumor probably stems from antiquated notions that all "poofters" wanted to be women and dressed as such in private.
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-cross-dresser
    Suck it.

handsome, good actor, no one will ever beat the duke.

Dick Cavett's interview with John Wayne.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...20wayne&st=cse

"I’ve been reminded that, in my earlier column on what to me were three glorious days spent in the company of John Wayne, I said that there is more to the story. Here’s what I meant:

I hurried through all my duties in shooting my special to hang with my new friend as much as possible. Just at this moment of typing I’ve identified the feeling I was having then. It was as if a 7th grader (me) had been befriended by the popular, big, tall, jock upperclassman. And wished everyone could see us together, maybe with his hand on my shoulder.

(Did anyone just reach for an airsick bag?)

The picture, “The Shootist,” was his last. There is debate still about whether Wayne knew at the time that he — like the legendary gunfighter he was playing — was dying of cancer. Most agree that he did.

Here was a greatly talented, highly intelligent, college-educated, well-read man of immense personal charm and humor. I think we can agree that he knew.

There’s a rough-going scene in which he asks Jimmy Stewart, playing his doctor, not to spare him the details of what will happen as the disease progresses. It’s fascinating, if true as some say that he had not been able to do this in life, but — by requesting that the script be sharpened in detail on this point — chose this route to the information.

If I had to pick 10 highlights of my life, one would be my arrival on the set at almost the instant this scene was shot in the doctor’s office. The crew knew their long-time friend was not well. There seemed to be more people than usual standing around watching. When Stewart delivered the line with the dread word in it — the one even doctors will euphemise, as in “ca. of the breast” — a burly stage-hand-type near me had to quickly cover his mouth, apparently fearing that the sort of tearful, involuntary snort he emitted might have been picked up by a mike, spoiling the take. Similar moments on the part of crew members could be seen all around."

Thanks for that great story! I watched the Shootist for the umpteenth time yesterday and thought I would post today on my thoughts.
    I was never a huge John Wayne fan until after his death. I remember watching his last interview with Barbara Walters and I suddenly became a fan. There was a sweetness about him that I had never sensed before.( I should have checked youtube before I started this to see if it's there so I could included it here.) He knew his days were almost over, and I agree, when he made the Shootist, I think he knew it was his last. I didn't see the Shootist until after he died, and I can see the same sweetness and gentility in his performance. It is my absolute favorite of his and I think he should have gotten the Oscar for this one. It gave me a new appreciation for his movies that I didn't have before so now I go back and watch many of his movies that I was never interested in and I have really become a huge fan. Other favorites are Hondo, The Sons of Katie Elder, El Dorado, The Searchers, really most of the later westerns. If you are not a techno dummy, like me, look for that interview and see if it's on Youtube. Maybe someone else can post it here. I'll bet it will change some opinions of the Duke!

Not very PC, but I always thought it was funny.

I never laughed so hard until I read is entry on findadeath! Good stuff. My favorite movies by him are and will always be Stagecoach, The Quiet Man, and Mclintock! I could watch those 3 at least once day and never tire of them. Is Maureen O'hara still alive? She has to be well into her 90's by now. I'm pretty sure just about anything those 2 did would've been gold. I salute you Duke!!!

Picts from when we stayed in the John Wayne room at the Culver. He lived here for short time when He owned the place.

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Oh, Lord! 'Joanne' Wayne in a mini-dress. Actually his legs looked pretty good.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

his kids are fighting over his estate, 31 years after his death:

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/06/04/14259396-wenn-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    his kids are fighting over his estate, 31 years after his death:

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/06/04/14259396-wenn-story.html

John Wayne had three children by Pilar. Aissa and Ethan are the two oldest of the three. I believe Aissa is a lawyer. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Sounds like JW left all of his kids fairly well off. Still, no matter how many million they end up with, theres always one who can piss it away isn't isn't there?

Hi everyone, I have yet to read this thread but I plan to. I love John Wayne! My love of him came from my dad and his from his dad, oddly lol I always thought my dad looked a little like John just younger of course. My favorite movies of his were McLintock, True Grit, Chisum, The Sons of Katie Elder, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, Rooster Cogburn and the lady, and Angel and the bad man. I didn't like his movie The Cowboys, and The Shootist because I didn't like seeing him get beat up and or shot and not being able to fight back it was just to sad for me. I wasn't much of a fan of war movies, I always like John better because though Clint Eastwood is a good actor and one of my favorite movies of his was Space Cowboys. Wayne always or at least always had some humor in his movies and for me thats important not all the time because some movies can't have to much humor because its an obviously serious movie anyway I'm rambling I'm just glad I found this thread to be able to express my love of John Wayne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOX--uekZ9Q it's too good not to post

*smiles, and laughs* Love it! Thanks for posting that.

ur most welcome. another great DUKE clip is either from that episode or another one where Dino asks him what he hopes his new daughter (i don't remember her name) will learn from him and his response was so heartflet and so patriotic you would've thought they were gonna start playing john mellencamp's "Little Pink Houses" when he finished. No kidding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQ1T1sQQ_E

His daughter Aissa is an Attorney so wondering how this case is progressing? This is Aissa's website:http://www.aissawayne.com/

John Wayne's Kids -- Duking It Out Over Estate
    6/4/2010 12:05 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

A standoff is underway between several members of John Wayne's family -- with his son and daughter battling each other over millions.

It's all over The Duke's estate -- worth somewhere between $10 and $15 million ... depending on which kid you ask.

In legal papers, filed Thursday in L.A. County Superior Court, John's daughter Aissa Wayne claims she wants to sell her share of the estate -- and another one of the The Duke's kids, Ethan Wayne, is obligated to come up with a "fair-market" price to buy her out.

Aissa -- along with several of Wayne's grandkids -- claim they believe the fortune is worth $15,400,000 ... but Ethan only thinks it's worth $10,704,000.

Now, Aissa -- and the grand kids -- want a judge to rule on the value of the estate ... so they can get their money and move on with their lives.
    Last edited by Nicki; 08-04-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    It grieves me that gays sometimes think of John Wayne as anti-gay because he was known as a political conservative. This Week in Texas, a venerable gay publication, posted a short interview with the Duke in the 70s in which he was asked what he thought about gay people and his response was, "I think people ought to be able to live any way they want and be left alone."
    i know this is late, but, I love JW. I have since I was a kid. I love McClintock! lmao. and I always thought since he was a conservative he was anti-gay. So if that quote is true, I can truly again start loving this man again! ty for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

dang Ich, I'm too late. it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post

that is effin awesome! ty ty!! I think he had great sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    I never laughed so hard until I read is entry on findadeath! Good stuff. My favorite movies by him are and will always be Stagecoach, The Quiet Man, and Mclintock! I could watch those 3 at least once day and never tire of them. Is Maureen O'hara still alive? She has to be well into her 90's by now. I'm pretty sure just about anything those 2 did would've been gold. I salute you Duke!!!
    i believe she is still alive. And i have always thought she was the most beautiful actress in hollywood. she was just breath taking!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    i believe she is still alive. And i have always thought she was the most beautiful actress in hollywood. she was just breath taking!

oh i know!!! it's too bad they weren't "together" in real life, he considered her only as"one of the guys." they were an awesome pair though.

I love John Wayne,he will forever remind me of my dad and my dad will forever remind me of him.

As a smoker, I don't understand how someone can smoke 5 packs a day! Holy moly! I can barely smoke 8 cigs in a day. That would be 50 for him. Wow. He must have smelled to smokey "high heaven" as a person! Ewwww.

Wait... that's 100 cigs with 20 in a pack. My god! His lungs should have looked like burnt BBQ pork ribs.
    Last edited by lmphillips2000; 01-23-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    dang Ich, I'm too late. it's gone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7WilrHkKQ0
    Suck it.

I was curious everyone who love's John Wayne and his movies was anyone mad about the fact they did a remake of one of his more well known movies "True Grit"?
    Last edited by TeddyBear; 02-15-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FadingSunshine View Post
    I was curious everyone who love's John Wayne and his movies was anyone mad about the fact they did a remake of one of his more well known movies "True Grit"?
    They do remakes of many classic westerns and almost always badly.
    John Wayne himself was in an example of a bad remake of a classic western, Three God fathers. The remake starred Harry Carey junior along with the Duke reprising the role of Harry Carey Senior.
    Also there was a terrible remake of Red River in 1988, the original was , in my opinion, one of the best westerns ever made.
    As much as they keep touting that it is more faithful to the book almost most every trailer they have shown has classic lines from the original.
    I am sure Jeff Bridges is fine in the role.
    The Duke is big boots to fill so good luck to him. I am a huge John Wayne fan so the movie will be an exercise in comparisons for me but I am not offended by it.
    Regards,
    Mary

As a kid I got to visit the saloon set at Old Tucson while they were filming Rio Lobo. I also saw The Green Berets at a drive-in theater! John Wayne is the first person I always think of when someone starts talking about movie stars. Very few of today's movie stars come close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    They do remakes of many classic westerns and almost always badly.
    John Wayne himself was in an example of a bad remake of a classic western, Three God fathers. The remake starred Harry Carey junior along with the Duke reprising the role of Harry Carey Senior.
    Also there was a terrible remake of Red River in 1988, the original was , in my opinion, one of the best westerns ever made.
    As much as they keep touting that it is more faithful to the book almost most every trailer they have shown has classic lines from the original.
    I am sure Jeff Bridges is fine in the role.
    The Duke is big boots to fill so good luck to him. I am a huge John Wayne fan so the movie will be an exercise in comparisons for me but I am not offended by it.
    Regards,
    Mary
    My nephew saw TG and said that it was okay, but of course not as good as the John Wayne version. I asked if the girl gave an oscar worthy preformance as I have seen some critics say and he said no, not even close! I didn't think she could have done a better job than Kim Darby, she nailed that role!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    As a kid I got to visit the saloon set at Old Tucson while they were filming Rio Lobo. I also saw The Green Berets at a drive-in theater! John Wayne is the first person I always think of when someone starts talking about movie stars. Very few of today's movie stars come close to him.
    You lucky devil! Too bad you didn't pilfer a shot glass or something as a souvenir. My Mother thought the sun rose & set with John Wayne. She had several framed photos of him & Judy Garland, another of her favorite stars.
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.

I've seen both versions of True Grit and enjoyed both.

The original version with the Wayne and Kim Darby was entertaining and followed the Portis novel in the interaction between the two leads.

Also, visually stunning. The only weak delivery was Glen Campbell.

I remember seeing Wayne as a child in films and finding him a strong heroic character for a young girl.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

Oh, I love the Duke so much and have many of his films on DVD! We all know the story of that Genghis Khan film The Conqueror and how he and the cast and crew were exposed to that atomic fallout on the desert set. If only he decided to pass on that Khan role...

How many men does it take to change John Waynes light bulb?
    None he was a real man and he wasn't afraid of the dark.
    I loved alot of his movies but I'm really partial to The Shootist.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Extensive bio on Wayne at IMDB. Homophobe? I'd be surprised at any straight man who didn't have issues during his era. He was adamantly against any film portrayal that might show a man in less than a, manly, heroic light, yet believed personal lives for anyone should be just that.

Humorous to read his various comments, and what appeared a conflict to the life he led. Less than glamorous and on the edge.

An occasional Wayne film is sufficient for me ...
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Extensive bio on Wayne at IMDB. Homophobe? I'd be surprised at any straight man who didn't have issues during his era. He was adamantly against any film portrayal that might show a man in less than a, manly, heroic light, yet believed personal lives for anyone should be just that.

Humorous to read his various comments, and what appeared a conflict to the life he led. Less than glamorous and on the edge.

An occasional Wayne film is sufficient for me ...
    I find it hard to believe he was too much of a homophobe when it came to his work. Red River, arguably one of his finest films, was made with a pretty much openly gay Co-Star , Montgomery Clift and Wayne ponied up money to help with his medical bills after the auto accident that pretty much ended Monty's career.
    Also the Undefeated was another great money made with a gay man as a co-star.
    He also worked with several gay writers and at least bi-sexual directors.
    I think he is like most people of his era that could deal with individual gay people without having much fondness for the group.
    Regards,
    Mary

Mary ... It might have been his public persona. He adamantly defended Reagan and Nixon, belonged to the NRA, said he was both conservative and progressive and occasionally liberal.

If Wayne was in complete acceptance of gay's he'd be rare indeed.

We might never know his true beliefs. He may have been loyal to his industry, which is not unique.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

This is a quote from The Duke from his Playboy interview.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

My favorite John Wayne movie was McClintock. "No whiskey we go" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Oh, Lord! 'Joanne' Wayne in a mini-dress. Actually his legs looked pretty good.
    Eh, looks photoshopped to me. Too small to really see any detail tho.

A few years back I was too broke to get my dad a birthday present, so I took him to Pacific View Memorial Park to visit the Duke. Recently the Old Guys Rule surfwear company started a John Wayne line, the proceeds of which go the cancer research. My dad and his brother have matching shirts, and when my uncle was in town, I took em both up there to have pics taken of them in their shirts and the Duke's headstone.

One last tidbit, the gentleman who was the embalming instructor in mortuary school was the guy who embalmed John Wayne. He'd also made a death mask of John Wayne, and it's still displayed at the school. He also claimed that the Duke was, ahem, well hung
    Last edited by Morty; 02-16-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Pic at John Wayne's grave

Great pic Morty!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

My dad is from that generation who grew up thinking that John Wayne was just the coolest. If anyone is curious about John Wayne past the cowboy, then check out "The Quiet Man." As near as I can gather, that is one of the few times John Wayne was not a cowboy, and his chemistry with that beautiful Maureen O'Hara is pretty sexy for the era.

Here is a picture of Maureen O' Hara...

...She was quite the stunner, imho

Has anyone heard of that silly rumor about John Wayne's colon? The silly rumor is that after he died, his colon weighed like 40 pounds or something. So odd. It was debunked and everything, but I always thought that was really funny because of how it makes no sense medically.
    Last edited by philbert_wormly; 02-17-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    My dad is from that generation who grew up thinking that John Wayne was just the coolest. If anyone is curious about John Wayne past the cowboy, then check out "The Quiet Man." As near as I can gather, that is one of the few times John Wayne was not a cowboy, and his chemistry with that beautiful Maureen O'Hara is pretty sexy for the era.

Here is a picture of Maureen O' Hara...

...She was quite the stunner, imho

Has anyone heard of that silly rumor about John Wayne's colon? The silly rumor is that after he died, his colon weighed like 40 pounds or something. So odd. It was debunked and everything, but I always thought that was really funny because of how it makes no sense medically.
    Kind of like the joke about the 7 foot tall Texan that died. They were not sure what they could bury him in so they gave him an enema and buried him in a shoebox. An Okie told me that joke a few weeks ago while I was in OKC. I like my Texans.
    Regards,
    Mary

..maybe because everyone wanted to believe he was full of shit?

My parents worshipped him. All 3 of my brothers (in their early 20's) still think he's the coolest thing since sliced bread and porn. I never got it. He just seemed like such a windbag. One who played the same part over and over.

I will admit. I do enjoy Donovan's Reef.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

Has anyone heard of that silly rumor about John Wayne's colon? The silly rumor is that after he died, his colon weighed like 40 pounds or something.
    The Duke wasn't one to deny himself much. In one the biographies, it's mentioned that in his latter years he was fond of getting two dozen Krispie Kreme doughnuts and eating the whole thing at one setting.

Knowing how he suffered at the end of his life, I'm glad that he was able to eat and drink like he wanted to before his last illness.

Like all of us, John Wayne had his good points and his bad ones.

Here's a little story about those who petitioned Congress for a special medal for the Duke. I especially like the remarks from director Robert Aldrich.

John Wayne's enduring status as an iconic American was formally recognized by the United States Congress on May 26, 1979, when he was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. Hollywood figures and American leaders from across the political spectrum, including Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra, Mike Frankovich, Katharine Hepburn, General and Mrs. Omar Bradley, Gregory Peck, Robert Stack, James Arness, and Kirk Douglas, testified to Congress of the merit and deservedness of this award.

Most notable was the testimony of Robert Aldrich, then president of the Directors Guild of America:

"It is important for you to know that I am a registered Democrat and, to my knowledge, share none of the political views espoused by Duke. However, whether he is ill disposed or healthy, John Wayne is far beyond the normal political sharp shooting in this community. Because of his courage, his dignity, his integrity, and because of his talents as an actor, his strength as a leader, his warmth as a human being throughout his illustrious career, he is entitled to a unique spot in our hearts and minds. In this industry, we often judge people, sometimes unfairly, by asking whether they have paid their dues. John Wayne has paid his dues over and over, and I'm proud to consider him a friend and am very much in favor of my Government recognizing in some important fashion the contribution that Mr. Wayne has made."

Maureen O'Hara, Wayne's close friend, initiated the petition for the medal and requested the words that would be placed onto the medal: "It is my great honor to be here. I beg you to strike a medal for Duke, to order the President to strike it. And I feel that the medal should say just one thing, 'John Wayne, American.' The medal crafted by the United States Mint has on one side John Wayne riding on horseback, and the other side has a portrait of Wayne with the words, "John Wayne, American." This Congressional Gold Medal was presented to the family of John Wayne in a ceremony held on March 6, 1980, at the United States Capitol. Copies were made and sold in large numbers to the public.

I have loved John Wayne for as long as I can remember I don't love all his movies but I like quite alot of them, one of my oldest memories as a kid was hanging out with my parents on Saturdays and Sundays watching old movies and westerns my dad reminds me so much of John Wayne and vice versa and I would like to think my dad died just like John Wayne did, with his boots on both of them will hold a very dear place in my heart till the day I die

The Quiet Man is a fabulous movie, one of his best.

The Quiet Man was a good movie

Quote Originally Posted by Ruls View Post
    The Quiet Man is a fabulous movie, one of his best.
    Quote Originally Posted by FadingSunshine View Post
    The Quiet Man was a good movie
    It should be, it's just John Waynes' version of The Taming of The Shrew by William Shakespeare. Can't go wrong with a story line like that AND the chemistry between John & Maureen onscreen.
    GR6-1890
    I may look calm. But in my head, I've killed you three times.