Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Locked Inside Restaurant Because They Refused to Tip

Family Locked Inside Restaurant Because They Refused to Tip

A family in Houston was allegedly locked inside a restaurant by the angry staff when they refused to pay a gratuity. Sounds outrageous, right? Well, it depends on how you look at it.
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_part...aurant_because

Mandatory gratuity on parties of 5 or more? What a load of crap.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

I agree, 5 is the size of the average family! Sorry, if I went into a restaurant with hubby, our two kidlets, and a friend or two of ours and saw that on the menu, we'd walk out. Hubby and I are both firm in our standings that servers should EARN their tips, not just expect them. Mandatory gratuities pretty much guarantee shitty service.

This was my comment on the article:

"
    I'm with the family on this one. If a gratuity is "required," I don't eat there, plain and siimple. I don't agree with "automatic gratuity" for parties of normal family size. 5 is a normal family size, so is 6, 7, even 8.

The server must EARN their gratuity. The better the service, the more they get. The worse the service, the less they get. I have tipped servers nothing for horrible service, and I have tipped servers $5-10 for outstanding service. The ruder they are, the less attentive they are to my table as far as refilling drinks, making sure our order is correct and hot, then the less they get for a tip. You'd think that since they make $2-something per hour and rely on tips for your take-home pay, then you'd be as sweet as sugar to every customer.

I think the restaurant severely overreacted here. It wasn't necessary to lock them in the restaurant and call the police over a tip. And for the record, you CANNOT get away with being rude to customers when you work at McDonald's, and the pay is pretty lousy. Employees at McDonald's get dumped on more than any other employee in the food service industry."

I had added the McD's bit because someone had the audacity to claim that employees there can get away with being rude. No, they can't, and the customers are insanely rude to US and we can't do shit about it. I have worked for McD's for the last six years, and I have seen almost everything there is to see when it comes to customers' behavior in the name of "the customer is always right." No, the customer is NOT always right!
    Last edited by RiaBrown; 05-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/BlingPrincessRia/UnhappyMeal_zpsb1156d82.jpg

This restaurant is not too far from where we live and is on a stretch of highway that is like a 25 mile long strip mall, an area not touted for its fine dining establishments. Regardless, I understand to a point adding a gratuity for a large group, since it does take more time and effort to prepare, serve, and bus food, drinks and plates/utensils, but really....locking them in??? A gratuity is supposed to earned in appreciation for good service provided and not simply expected....without having been there, it's hard to assess exactly what the situation was from both sides. From the sound of the article and what I saw on the news last night, it seems that there was no communication between the restaurant and the customers as to the expectations of each. IMO, this situation could have been resolved in a more amicable and professional manner. Doesn't seem like all the negative publicity would be in the restaurant's best interest- it's already a very difficult industry and many places just don't make it- this incident certainly won't help them. JMO.

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

I think adding a gratuity for parties of five or more is a joke. They should be grateful for the business!

I remember a couple of years ago a group of 24 or so of us went to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) for a golf tour. We went to a bar, had a look at the beer menu and ordered beer. Next thing you know, the beer menu's disappeared and the prices shot up. Greedy bastards.

Here in Singapore there is an automatic 10% service charge, It is a form of indirect tax. We also have to pay 3% GST (Goods and Services Tax) on each meal. If you want to tip any extra it is up to you.

It is an interesting thing in America. It is like a tip is automatically expected. I have heard loads of stories where cab drivers in New York etc have gone berserk because they didn't get a tip. I guess minimum wage is so shitty over there that they rely on the tip to actually earn a living.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

My husband and I are well known for not leaving a tip in the case of shitty service. We are also well known for leaving a $10 behind if we have amazing service. I have 3 children so that would mean that if we all decided to go out to eat, then a tip is automatically expected? Nope! Now I do know that there are some restaurants that only pay their waitresses half of minimum wage because of tips. HOWEVER, that basically means you have to earn your wages like anybody else would have to and really, it's not that difficult to get a good tip if you think about it. You basically just have to make sure you're serving with a smile, keep my drink filled, and do your best to fix anything I may say is wrong. I won't blame a waitress for kitchen mistakes, either so, again, it's pretty simple to earn a tip from me.
    "For mine is a generation that circles the globe in search of something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience, and if it hurts, you know what? It was probably worth it." ~The Beach~

www.minlynn.deviantart.com

I always tip, be it beauty salon or restaurant--that is, if the service is good. Doesn't have to be perfect, but one mistake after another is shitty. This happened to Sissy and I last Saturday. I always leave a 17% tip, but not that day.

I'm with Neil, they should be grateful for the service, especially for a group of 5 or more patrons.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

Poor service= $0 Tip... The cost of food is high enough, a customer deserves proper service.

La Fisherman?
    Really?
    Victory will belong only to those who have faith in the people, those who are immersed in the life-giving spring of popular creativity.

I tip, and generously. Over 20 percent. IF you're good at your job. I never punish a waitress for crappy food, or a stylist for a long wait, but I expect good service. A large party to me is 10 or more. Then I'd be ok with an automatically added gratuity. Not for five people. No way.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

A gratuity is supposed to be a reward for good service. Adding it automatically to the bill is nothing more than an extra tax. Why should a person who does a lousy job get such a large tip? Nothing irritates me more when we are dining out than to not have our drinks refilled when needed. That cuts the tip dramatically from us. Otherwise, if we receive great service, we leave extremely generous tips. I consider locking a family inside a restaurant for not leaving a tip to be false imprisonment and that is illegal. I hope the bad publicity changes their ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2gnVXy7Ro

Automatic gratuity for parties of 5 or more is standard. Its also stated clearly and plainly on the menu. If she didnt see or understand that then its her bad not the restaurants. It was ridiculous that the restaurant called the police though. Bad pr. I guess if you name your restaurant La Fisherman you pretty much lack sense. Ugh. La Fisherman.
    Victory will belong only to those who have faith in the people, those who are immersed in the life-giving spring of popular creativity.

I can understand it being a standard policy, at the same time, though, crappy service should never be allowed... Especially in an establishment where gratuity is required. I, too, have no issue with leaving a tip... I've left a tip for more than what the food cost. I'm the same, I EXPECT my glass to have something in it, and not just ice and a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    La Fisherman?
    Really?
    THIS time a bejillion!

Also: If I was in a restaurant (even a "La Fisherman") (as if) and I saw that there was a standard 17% penalty for having too much company, I think I'd probably leave.

Was a time when managers (and certainly owners) would do what they could in the name of good public relations. Any complaint and BAM, this one's on us. How can we make you come back. Something. I don't know what happened to that, except that perhaps people took advantage of this sort of hospitality. But I miss it, it showed they were trying. Sure beat the hell out of calling the cops, ffs.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    I can understand it being a standard policy, at the same time, though, crappy service should never be allowed... Especially in an establishment where gratuity is required. I, too, have no issue with leaving a tip... I've left a tip for more than what the food cost. I'm the same, I EXPECT my glass to have something in it, and not just ice and a lemon.
    Exactly. I should not have to flag a waiter or waitress down for more Diet Coke. And I have had to a few times. The tip then was not my standard "20% or double the tax," it was about 10%, if that. Sorry, I don't think that by forcing people to pay gratuity that the servers can give shoddy service. Its a two-way street, as my mom says.
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/BlingPrincessRia/UnhappyMeal_zpsb1156d82.jpg

People don't tip like they should anymore. We have bellmen at my hotel and the standard rate is $1 per bag/suitcase. Do they get it? No, they don't. They make less than minimum wage and depend on their tips for their income. Large families with loaded down SUV and minivans staying for a week ask for their services yet will hand them $2 when the luggage cart was filled and practically overflowing. They get that all the time. They are providing a service and should be paid accordingly. In my opinion, the same thing applies to restaurants. They are providing you a service. What is it good service to one person may be crappy service to another person. If you don't like to pay a tip, go to a buffet and serve yourself. A good rule of thumb, if you tip well, the server will remember you the next time you come in and your service will be good. If you're crappy to them, they will be crappy to you. You don't know what kind of crazy things can happen to a person's food before it gets to the table and you'd have no clue about it.
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

La Fisherman?
    Really?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2gnVXy7Ro

I guess if you name your restaurant La Fisherman you pretty much lack sense. Ugh. La Fisherman.
    [QUOTE=TaupinJohn;1282912]THIS time a bejillion!

Also: If I was in a restaurant (even a "La Fisherman") (as if) and I saw that there was a standard 17% penalty for having too much company, I think I'd probably leave.

Was a time when managers (and certainly owners) would do what they could in the name of good public relations. Any complaint and BAM, this one's on us. How can we make you come back. Something. I don't know what happened to that, except that perhaps people took advantage of this sort of hospitality. But I miss it, it showed they were trying. Sure beat the hell out of calling the cops, ffs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes and YES....if you saw where this restaraunt was located, the name makes sense- it's right on par with the 25 miles of strip malls. UGH. This place has probably had at least 25 names too before "La Fisherman" moved in. If you read some of the comments in the link below, you'll see that they even charge for WATER! NO FREAKIN WAY....bet they will be gone in six months or less.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-fisherman-houston

Last edited by Cynful; 05-05-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

People go there to watch TV?

That's the place? It looks like a mall food court.

We avoid places that automatically charge a tip. It is up to the patron to decide how much of a thank you he wants to give. Having an automatic tip system doesn't give the server any incentive at all to do good work.

As someone mentioned, in these financially dismal times they are lucky to get customers at all. Even luckier is the server to have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    People go there to watch TV?
    Takes their minds off the shit service.

Quote Originally Posted by pwem View Post
    That's the place? It looks like a mall food court.

We avoid places that automatically charge a tip. It is up to the patron to decide how much of a thank you he wants to give. Having an automatic tip system doesn't give the server any incentive at all to do good work.

As someone mentioned, in these financially dismal times they are lucky to get customers at all. Even luckier is the server to have a job.

Damn straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Takes their minds off the shit service.
    You crack me up

Actually, a lot of restaurants in the United States have televisions and I don't like it. Some places have televisions set to sports stations and also play music over the top of that. It is annoying and I think it is rude for someone to sit and watch a television instead of enjoying the company of whoever they are there with. Of course, their company is likely text messaging or talking on the cell phone, so I guess it evens out.

This is insane. I would think this constitutes criminal charges. If auto gratuity is on the menu then expect to pay it but not be held captive. Ive worked in a couple restaurants as a teen both had auto gratuity on tables of 10 adults. Neither tolerated poor servers though. We have a restaurant here in town that charges gratuity on alcohol to cover the bartender then the bartender tips out the servers. Strange order but they seem to do well and service is nice. If I get poor service then I leave two pennies. Servers know instantly what it means and if you tip nothing at all they may just think you suck.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

"Nobody goes laundry cart on my wash unless them bitches wanna be going feet first."
    Cloris Leachman.

I was having dinner with a friend..at a mid-range restaraunt nothing real fancy...when we got our bill it was around 9 dollars each...we paid with a 20..and the waitress asked if we wanted our change back...we said yes...when she left my friend was furious she said she was a waitress for years and she never asked the customer if they wanted thier change back it was up to them to leave a tip not for me to ask for it...when we got our change she gave us a 10 dollar bill and change...well that made my friend even madder because she said you always give a 5 and singles back now she is just trying to force us to leave what she wants and refused to tip...should also mention the service was horrible only saw her to order...get dinner and then check no refills or anything else

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    This is insane. I would think this constitutes criminal charges. If auto gratuity is on the menu then expect to pay it but not be held captive. Ive worked in a couple restaurants as a teen both had auto gratuity on tables of 10 adults. Neither tolerated poor servers though. We have a restaurant here in town that charges gratuity on alcohol to cover the bartender then the bartender tips out the servers. Strange order but they seem to do well and service is nice. If I get poor service then I leave two pennies. Servers know instantly what it means and if you tip nothing at all they may just think you suck.
    Great name for a band.

La Fisherman= La Craptastic Name. Ugh. I'd tip 10,000 just to change the name.

Lynn Wilson, that is a huge pet peeve of mine and my husband's. I think it is extremely rude for a waiter or waitress to ask if you want your change back. It is nearly always the younger ones who do it, in my experience. I've given a waitress $60 on a $42 meal just because we didn't have any smaller bills and been asked if we wanted change. Trust me, her service wasn't worth nearly $18. When I told her yes, that I wanted my change back, she gave a deep sigh and then brought the change back all in ones. I don't know if she wanted that as a tip or was hoping to have them stuffed down the front of her shirt stripper style.

LLC, I don't think their name is the worst of their problems since Cynful said this place had many different reincarnations before becoming LaFisherman. After falsely imprisoning a family and calling the cops on them, the place won't last too long anyway. I think LaFisherman sunk it's own fishing boat. The link in Cynful's post 18 has some rather scathing reviews of the place for several different reasons. They'll go under soon. IMO

Wow, y'all are bringing up things I've never even thought about... Asking if I want change back, always giving me change in high bills (never ones). Come to think of it, it does seem rather rude.

Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    THIS time a bejillion!

Was a time when managers (and certainly owners) would do what they could in the name of good public relations. Any complaint and BAM, this one's on us. How can we make you come back. Something. I don't know what happened to that, except that perhaps people took advantage of this sort of hospitality. But I miss it, it showed they were trying. Sure beat the hell out of calling the cops, ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    People don't tip like they should anymore. We have bellmen at my hotel and the standard rate is $1 per bag/suitcase. Do they get it? No, they don't. They make less than minimum wage and depend on their tips for their income. Large families with loaded down SUV and minivans staying for a week ask for their services yet will hand them $2 when the luggage cart was filled and practically overflowing. They get that all the time. They are providing a service and should be paid accordingly. In my opinion, the same thing applies to restaurants. They are providing you a service. What is it good service to one person may be crappy service to another person. If you don't like to pay a tip, go to a buffet and serve yourself. A good rule of thumb, if you tip well, the server will remember you the next time you come in and your service will be good. If you're crappy to them, they will be crappy to you. You don't know what kind of crazy things can happen to a person's food before it gets to the table and you'd have no clue about it.

Its a pretty big indicator of the times. No one tips, and everyone figures they automatically deserve one. I'm assuming the "standard" five or more thing is a US thing. Even in large cities at upscale places, I've never come across a required tip for less than 10.

I wouldn't call it standard. 10 seems the standard where I live. This expected tip rule is catching on fast though.

"Nobody goes laundry cart on my wash unless them bitches wanna be going feet first."
    Cloris Leachman.

I have a "tip" for the ones who bumblefuck around and half ass their jobs and still expect a tip. Be at least somewhat civil to your customers, keep their glasses full of the beverage they ordered, don't be text messaging or flirting with the kitchen staff when my glass is empty, stop by the table to make sure the order is correct and cooked the way it is supposed to be and whether you may need A-1, extra napkins, a refill, or a carryout box and you will in all likelihood receive good tips from most of your customers. If you never smile, act like it chaps your ass to have to do anything, or get pissy with someone when they ask something of you, then you are lucky to get anything unless it is from a young dude who likes the looks of your ass. For the record, I have never stiffed anyone out of a tip, but the size of the tip depends on the factors listed above. It isn't enough to just take the order and disappear, some effort is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I have a "tip" for the ones who bumblefuck around and half ass their jobs and still expect a tip. Be at least somewhat civil to your customers, keep their glasses full of the beverage they ordered, don't be text messaging or flirting with the kitchen staff when my glass is empty, stop by the table to make sure the order is correct and cooked the way it is supposed to be and whether you may need A-1, extra napkins, a refill, or a carryout box and you will in all likelihood receive good tips from most of your customers. If you never smile, act like it chaps your ass to have to do anything, or get pissy with someone when they ask something of you, then you are lucky to get anything unless it is from a young dude who likes the looks of your ass. For the record, I have never stiffed anyone out of a tip, but the size of the tip depends on the factors listed above. It isn't enough to just take the order and disappear, some effort is required.
    Very well put, Mammy! Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    People who spit in food or do anything else to food are disturbed individuals and do not belong working in the business at all. This is coming from someone who worked in the service industry as a bartender and waitress for YEARS. And it happens in fast food all the time, where no tips are ever even generated.

Did it piss me off when people didnt tip, yes. But it happens all over for many reasons. If you go into this type of business expecting a tip no matter what, you will be sorely disappointed.

A good rule of thumb is tip if you feel the service was what was expected. Thats what I do. If service is excellent, I tip more. But NEVER do I tip just because it is what the server (or waitress, or bartneder or whomever) expects and asks as such.

Tipping is not required, its not a law and it should be earned. Just like others have stated on here.
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Thanks, Kally. I think too many people these days think they are entitled to a tip no matter what instead of thinking they have to earn one. It seems like to me that anyone with one eye and half sense would know that the more friendly, attentive, and helpful you are to your customers, the better they will compensate you for it. The problem is that common sense isn't common at all anymore.

Lisa, like you pointed out, tipping is not required and it is not a law, so how do these places get away with adding a 17% gratuity to parties of over five people and actually enforce it, even if it clearly states on the menu that the charge will be added? If it is expected and required no matter what, then that isn't a gratuity. I don't think I have ever ate anywhere that automatically decided how much of a tip they deserve right off the top, but then again it is just usually me and my husband and sometimes our son. There would be no incentive to do a good job if you knew you would get your cut off the top no matter what. The place must not have much faith in their employees if they have to force a large tip out of customers.

Lisa, like you pointed out, tipping is not required and it is not a law, so how do these places get away with adding a 17% gratuity to parties of over five people and actually enforce it, even if it clearly states on the menu that the charge will be added? If it is expected and required no matter what, then that isn't a gratuity. I don't think I have ever ate anywhere that automatically decided how much of a tip they deserve right off the top, but then again it is just usually me and my husband and sometimes our son. There would be no incentive to do a good job if you knew you would get your cut off the top no matter what. The place must not have much faith in their employees if they have to force a large tip out of customers.
    Exactly Mammy

It doesn't hurt to buy the cook a pint every now and then if you frequent the restaurant. It means a lot to people who make fuck all while the waitress is raking in hundreds.

Can somebody explain why the server gets basically the entire tip?
    Last edited by beep; 05-06-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16814&dateline=1337859949

"I hope I never get old. My god, I hope I never get old." - RIP Bradley Nowell

I've wondered that myself. The busboy who cleans up after the customers leave does just as much (or more in some cases) than the server and gets nothing just like the ones who actually prepare the meal. I was a hostess at a Japanese restaurant a long time ago and all of the tips were put in a can and divided equally among the servers, busboys, hostesses, cooks, and dishwashers at the end of the shift. I've never seen any other place do that before or since.

We always tip very well for good service - I know those people have a hard job. But, if you get lousy service you sure don't need to be locked in the restaurant. I don't quite know what to think about this one - I wouldn't go to a place with a mandatory 17% tip for a party of 5. We generally tip 20% but if it was a mandatory thing and I got bad service I would have thrown a fit if I was locked in the restaurant. That place sounds like "pocket Fisherman".

Quote Originally Posted by lynn wilson View Post
    I was having dinner with a friend..at a mid-range restaraunt nothing real fancy...when we got our bill it was around 9 dollars each...we paid with a 20..and the waitress asked if we wanted our change back...we said yes...when she left my friend was furious she said she was a waitress for years and she never asked the customer if they wanted thier change back it was up to them to leave a tip not for me to ask for it...when we got our change she gave us a 10 dollar bill and change...well that made my friend even madder because she said you always give a 5 and singles back now she is just trying to force us to leave what she wants and refused to tip...should also mention the service was horrible only saw her to order...get dinner and then check no refills or anything else
    I totally agree. This is why before I even go in I make sure I have a few dollar bills for a tip. I think that is insanely rude. I have had servers ask me before if I wanted my change back, and I usually have to refrain from saying, "If you want any kind of tip at all, you'll bring me my change back. ALL OF IT." But sometimes I do get a bit snarky about it and say yes in the same snarky tone THEY used.

EXACTLY, Mammy! I couldn't have put it better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    People who spit in food or do anything else to food are disturbed individuals and do not belong working in the business at all. This is coming from someone who worked in the service industry as a bartender and waitress for YEARS. And it happens in fast food all the time, where no tips are ever even generated.
    Now this one depends on the fast food restaurant. The way my McD's is set up, the customer on front line can see their food being made AND there are managers all around who can see what you're doing. In fact, they're usually standing at the landing zone (where the food comes) watching you make the food. If the lobby is closed, and drive-through remains open, there is STILL a manager watching you make the food. By that time of night, which is between 11pm-12am Central time Fridays and Saturdays, or overnights Fridays and Saturdays during the summers, we have three or four employees in the store, including a manager. The manager is usually helping you assemble the orders, so he or she is watching the grill people make the food.

Because I have been on both sides of the fast food counter, I tend to be uber sweet to service people in general. Fast food workers, servers, and retail employees because I've done retail, too. There are two kinds of people you do NOT want to piss off. Those who handle your food and those who cut your hair.

Actually, I think there are three kinds of people you don't want to piss off. Those who handle your food, those who cut your hair, and those who babysit your children. I babysat for a living when my daughters were babies and toddlers and it was unreal some of the crap I put up with from the parents. I babysat two little girls who were still in diapers and the parent (sometimes dad, sometimes mom) would show up with the girls and nothing else, no diapers, no change of clothes, no formula, no food, no medicine, no nothing. I kept these girls 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Not only did I end up providing everything they needed while they were at my home, I never got paid when I was supposed to. There was always some excuse such as they forgot their checkbook, didn't have the cash with them, the bank was closed, or we'll bring it to you tomorrow and never show up. I was losing money by the time I provided everything for the girls, but I put up with it way longer than I should have because I felt sorry for them and it wasn't their fault they had crappy parents. I remember telling my then husband that the last person I would want to treat like crap and stiff out of money would be the one taking care of my kids. People have some whacked priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    It doesn't hurt to buy the cook a pint every now and then if you frequent the restaurant. It means a lot to people who make fuck all while the waitress is raking in hundreds.

Can somebody explain why the server gets basically the entire tip?

I know here in most places tips are divided between the entirety of the staff. Easy enough to do because most people pay and tip electronically. My brother was a cook for a while at a large chain and he brought home about $200 a week in tips over and above his wage. I know of a few places where it's an unspoken rule that you can pocket any cash and not put it into the pool, but I also know that places like Boston Pizza and Blackbeard's will can your ass if they catch you pocketing tips instead of turning them in to be divided.

Me and my family went out to dinner last week. We were in a mad rush and the place was busy. I explained my situition to the hostess and she was very helpful in getting us seated ASAP (was a party of 7). When the waiter came by, we all placed our orders and explained to him that we were in a big rush. We ate, got the bill (the waiter was wonderful!) I glanced at the bill and it said $133.??, I droped $150 and said no change rest is for you. I thought I was doing good leaving a $16 dollar tip.. Well, next day I was looking at the receipt. The bill was $103 and it included the tip which made it $133 so the waiter got a $36 tip. No wonder he was so happy!
    I think it is wrong to add it into the check. I do not mind tipping well for good service and even better for outstanding service (not $36 tho!). I have gotten horriable service before, and I will leave a tip of $1 or a nickle or something small, just so they know, I didnt forget and they sucked! I understnad they do not control the kitchen or how good the food is, but they do control how often they check on you and refill your drinks.

ALSO is this waitress code... Does anyone else notice that hte waiter/waitress askes you how is everything the second after you cram a mouth full of food in your mouth, so all you can do is shake your head?

I try to avoid places that split tips unless they don't have table servers. Why should a good server split tips with the bad ones or with other staff that makes more money on the hourly rate? If I'm at say a coffee shop or bar where you get your own order then I don't mind so much. I was at a restaurant a while back and tried to tip my server when the manager informed me that tips were split with cooks and management. The servers were clearing tables with no help and the dishwasher wasn't on the split. I opted to not tip and won't be returning. I will tip the cook if I think they deserve it but I think servers should come first. And why the hell should management be in the split but not the dishwasher?

Cloris Leachman.

Amen, McMorbid!!! I don't like the pooled tip thing. My mom told stories of when she was a waitress years ago, and she'd work her hiney off while the other girls smoked cigarettes and drank coffee their entire shift. And yet the tips were split equally. I got pissy when I was a server and had to "tip out" the bartender, hostess, etc., etc. They ALL made at least 5 times what I did to perform their job (the bartender prepared drinks, hostess seated people, the cooks prepared the food, etc.). I busted my ass and took excellent care of people (as I do). And I made $2.13/hour. If one of my coworkers went out of his/her way to help out (as we all would do as needed), I was happy to share with them. But just to hand it out cuz they were already doing their job? I don't think so!!

If you never smile, act like it chaps your ass to have to do anything, or get pissy with someone when they ask something of you, then you are lucky to get anything unless it is from a young dude who likes the looks of your ass.
    Wait a minute.... How come you said only the young guys...
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16814&dateline=1337859949

"I hope I never get old. My god, I hope I never get old." - RIP Bradley Nowell

Well in a way they should ask want change back, you always got that one person where they would bitch that they didnt ask and kept their money with out asking. Me im not anal. if you did a good job awesome here is a 10 tip. but if things were shitting you get .50 cents or those fake bills when folded over looks like a 20 or 100 bucks then i write on the blank side what i think about her and the restraunts service

or i flat out do something like this.

Mommies little clones. Est since 2004!

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post

Now this one depends on the fast food restaurant. The way my McD's is set up, the customer on front line can see their food being made AND there are managers all around who can see what you're doing. In fact, they're usually standing at the landing zone (where the food comes) watching you make the food. If the lobby is closed, and drive-through remains open, there is STILL a manager watching you make the food. By that time of night, which is between 11pm-12am Central time Fridays and Saturdays, or overnights Fridays and Saturdays during the summers, we have three or four employees in the store, including a manager. The manager is usually helping you assemble the orders, so he or she is watching the grill people make the food.

Because I have been on both sides of the fast food counter, I tend to be uber sweet to service people in general. Fast food workers, servers, and retail employees because I've done retail, too. There are two kinds of people you do NOT want to piss off. Those who handle your food and those who cut your hair.
    Like the guy who spit in the Iced tea at Mickey Dees recently?

Yeah, my ex is a cop and he was very particular about where he would eat in uniform. Matter of fact, there were only one or two places we could go when he was working because people spit and drop food and pick it up and serve it, etc all the time for cops. It happens all the time. As I said, anyone who does this is a seriously deranged individual.

There is NO reason why anyone should have to be extra sweet to anyone for them not to spit in their food.

I rarely eat at fast food and I am not a big fan of eating out in general, but when I do, I usually go where I have been going for years and feel like I can trust the people there. As I said before, we all know it happens all the time, so you take your chances.

On another note, I was in the Navy and knew a cook in the Navy. I worked in resturants and bars (and fast food in high school) for years after getting out of the service and while in college and there is no kitchen cleaner and no cooks who take their jobs seriously than in the Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Like the guy who spit in the Iced tea at Mickey Dees recently?

Yeah, my ex is a cop and he was very particular about where he would eat in uniform. Matter of fact, there were only one or two places we could go when he was working because people spit and drop food and pick it up and serve it, etc all the time for cops. It happens all the time. As I said, anyone who does this is a seriously deranged individual.

There is NO reason why anyone should have to be extra sweet to anyone for them not to spit in their food.

I rarely eat at fast food and I am not a big fan of eating out in general, but when I do, I usually go where I have been going for years and feel like I can trust the people there. As I said before, we all know it happens all the time, so you take your chances.

On another note, I was in the Navy and knew a cook in the Navy. I worked in restaurants and bars (and fast food in high school) for years after getting out of the service and while in college and there is no kitchen cleaner and no cooks who take their jobs seriously than in the Navy!
    I can vouch for that, I am an ex Navy cook.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn wilson View Post
    This seems to be going on more and more these days. My mom and I went to Red Robin for lunch a while back (my idea). The food was pretty crappy ($10 for an onion ring appetizer? Really?) and the service was even worse. Our waitress seemed really impatient that we actually wanted to read the menu before ordering and didn't even bother refilling our drinks. I asked for mustard which took her ten minutes to bring out. Mind you, it wasn't a lunch rush or anything. The resturant was practically empty.

When she brought the $27 bill out, my mom paid with $40. The waitress looks at the two twenties and asks my mom if she "needed" change. My mom was beyond pissed. She couldn't believe the girl thought she was going to leave her a $13 tip for such shitty service. I think she did end up leaving her $2 because my mom always tips, even if the service is crappy.

I've never been a waitress and I imagine it's rather thankless and sometimes irritating work, but some waiters/waitresses are just lazy as shit. Do you really think you deserve a tip if you act like you can't be bothered by customers asking for condiments or taking seven minutes to read a menu in a resturant they've never been do before?
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick