Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 168

Thread: Orson Welles

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CUMberland, Maryland
    Posts
    1,627

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    eighteen hot dogs? a man after my own heart!
    pull the string!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    eighteen hot dogs? a man after my own heart!
    I can't imagine eighteen hot dogs!!??

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    Orson Welles became a good friend to peter bogdonavitch (he wrote a book about his talks with Orson), Peter was involved with Cybil sheppard for a few years in the late 70s early 80s. Im trying to remember which book it was about Orson Welles, and the author claims that Orson was Bi, but it was all speculation. The guys who ran the theater in dublin were both gay and he stayed with one or both of them so I guess that makes him gay or involved with one of them. I have read like 7 books on Orson (that makes me no expert, but qualified enough to drop my 2 cents in).I have only read book one that brought up the possibility that he was Bi, I'm still waiting for the proof!
    Are you a badfish too?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    Orson Welles became a good friend to peter bogdonavitch (he wrote a book about his talks with Orson), Peter was involved with Cybil sheppard for a few years in the late 70s early 80s. Im trying to remember which book it was about Orson Welles, and the author claims that Orson was Bi, but it was all speculation. The guys who ran the theater in dublin were both gay and he stayed with one or both of them so I guess that makes him gay or involved with one of them. I have read like 7 books on Orson (that makes me no expert, but qualified enough to drop my 2 cents in).I have only read book one that brought up the possibility that he was Bi, I'm still waiting for the proof!
    I don't buy that he was bi either. I have read alot about him and have NEVER even once came across that.

    But then again Hollywood then was alot different then Hollywood now. I am sure Orson would have hidden it if he was?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    True innovator. He was the first person to actually include the ceiling of a room in a shot. Remember when he got Greg Toland to hack the concrete floor of the stage to get the camera low enough to shoot a worm's eye view?
    Toland was a genius as well. Of course I'm biased. Toland and I are from the same small Illinois town!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    788
    he did seem a little on the gay side to me. especially in those paul masson commercials. did you know he was a suspect in the Black Dahlia case?? i forgot which site i saw it on but he was not the only famous suspect. he moved out of the country later and came back weighing in at 400lbs.

  8. #58
    Guest Guest
    I've only seen one movie with him in it.... The late great planet earth........ who do you think could play him if they made a movie about him?
    Everytime I watched Jack Black in King Kong I think of Orson Welles

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Toland was a genius as well. Of course I'm biased. Toland and I are from the same small Illinois town!
    Well I am biased as well then because I think Toland was a genius. Orson said that Toland taught him in three hours everything he needed to know to shoot a movie. Of course Orson being Orson then went off and pushed it further.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Great book by the way! Thanks again for the recommendation on it!

    thanks im going to get this book.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    I think alot of actors from the 30's and 40's would seem gay by today's standards. If anyone could have pulled off being straight-it would be Orson Welles he was an incredible actor.
    Orson Welles being a suspect in the black dahlia murder is laughable, it comes from that piece of crap james ellroy book which is an entire work of FICTION. There is no documentation that Elizabeth knew Orson, but he did have a trick he used to perform in his magic act- he cut a woman in half (often rita hayworth). If we are going to start rounding up magicians on suspicion of murder, because of that trick, ya better start building bigger prisons, also make them tougher to get out of-there are some real Houdini's out there!
    Are you a badfish too?

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    I think alot of actors from the 30's and 40's would seem gay by today's standards. If anyone could have pulled off being straight-it would be Orson Welles he was an incredible actor.
    Orson Welles being a suspect in the black dahlia murder is laughable, it comes from that piece of crap james ellroy book which is an entire work of FICTION. There is no documentation that Elizabeth knew Orson, but he did have a trick he used to perform in his magic act- he cut a woman in half (often rita hayworth). If we are going to start rounding up magicians on suspicion of murder, because of that trick, ya better start building bigger prisons, also make them tougher to get out of-there are some real Houdini's out there!
    Well said.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    he did seem a little on the gay side to me. especially in those paul masson commercials. did you know he was a suspect in the Black Dahlia case?? i forgot which site i saw it on but he was not the only famous suspect. he moved out of the country later and came back weighing in at 400lbs.
    Mary Pacios, home town friend of Elizabeth Short, wrote a book called "Childhood Shadows: The Hidden Story of the Black Dahlia Murder." In that book, she puts forth the theory that Welles was her killer. It was an interesting read, and offered a lot of insight about Short I'd never heard or read about before, however I found her conclusions a bit ridiculous. I can see, vaguely, where she's coming from, but her theories seem based mostly on inference and speculation.



  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Orson was always funny when he was on the Dean Martin roasts

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Mary Pacios, home town friend of Elizabeth Short, wrote a book called "Childhood Shadows: The Hidden Story of the Black Dahlia Murder." In that book, she puts forth the theory that Welles was her killer. It was an interesting read, and offered a lot of insight about Short I'd never heard or read about before, however I found her conclusions a bit ridiculous. I can see, vaguely, where she's coming from, but her theories seem based mostly on inference and speculation.
    How she first centered in on Orson Welles was a psychic told her the initials O W, and one of the letters sent to taunt the police used cut out letters, the word follOW had capitalized letters in the end backing the psychic's prediction.
    I absolutely adore Orson Welles and am fascinated with the black dahlia murder, but the pacios book offers no new insight into the cause of the murder or possible perpitrators. There is absolutely no motive for Orson Welles to murder Elizabeth Short or anyone.
    Are you a badfish too?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Orson welles Just two hours before he died...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGgUQ9zbIk

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Orson welles Just two hours before he died...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGgUQ9zbIk

    God he looks great for 70!
    I just love him, his twinkling eyes, his mischievious laugh, and the VOICE!
    God! he could read me the phone book and I would be pleased as punch!
    Are you a badfish too?

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    I've only seen one movie with him in it.... The late great planet earth........ who do you think could play him if they made a movie about him?
    Everytime I watched Jack Black in King Kong I think of Orson Welles

    Didn't Vincent D'onofrio play him in the movie Ed Wood?


    There was a lot in the Barbara Leaming bio of Rita Hayworth (If this was Happiness) about his frustrated political ambitions. He campaigned for some kind of office. Basically he had big dreams I think. Too much genius for a little world.

    I love his radio work. He was just genius. And his guest appearances on Dean Martin were quite funny.

    Apparently when "colorization" was all the rage, Orson was quoted as saying "Keep Ted Turner and his damned crayolas away from my movies!"

    Priceless.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Orson welles Just two hours before he died...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGgUQ9zbIk
    Great stuff mate!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Didn't Vincent D'onofrio play him in the movie Ed Wood?

    Yes...and he did a hell of a job!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maryland wishin I lived in So Cal
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    For some reason I thought Orson only had one child- Rebecca, by his marriage to Rita Hayworth. It turns out he had three daughters.

    The first daughter to whom they gave the terrible name of Christopher (!) is Orson's daughter with his first wife, Virginia. She is now known as Chris Welles Feder and is the creator of the BrainQuest card games you might have seen in bookstores. Also, she appeared at the Staten Island Film Festival in May and gave a talk on one of her father's films.

    Rebecca was born in 1944. I found out that she died in 2004 at the age of 60- on what would have been her mother's 96th birthday! I couldn't find a cause of death- she was survived by her husband, one son, stepchildren and grandchildren.

    Beatrice was born in 1955 with his 3rd wife Paola. It appears that Beatrice is the sole heir of her father. Paola died in a car accident not long after OW's death. (NY Times article)
    I ran across a court document from the Ninth Federal District Court in the matter of Beatrice Welles vs. Turner Entertainment and RKO studio (it's still in business?) regarding royalties for Citizen Kane.

    Maybe someone can answer this question? If he had 3 children then why would Beatrice be his sole heir? When a child dies, doesn't the grandchild get the money from royalties and such?

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Didn't Vincent D'onofrio play him in the movie Ed Wood?
    But he was voiced by maurice lamarche. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by derbingle View Post
    But he was voiced by maurice lamarche. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
    Thanks for the info on that...never knew that. It was striking how much the voice sounded like Orson though. Was he credited in the "Ed Wood" Movie?

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Thanks for the info on that...never knew that. It was striking how much the voice sounded like Orson though. Was he credited in the "Ed Wood" Movie?
    No, he wasn't. But he should have been.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    Damn! Now I gotta dig up my Ed Wood DVD.
    P.S. I love Orson Welles!
    Are you a badfish too?

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.E. Georgia, USA
    Posts
    382
    Fascinating man!!!!!!!!


    Love him. I think he was incredibly hot when he was younger. Loved him in Jane Eyre.

    Cupcake


    A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

  27. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    How she first centered in on Orson Welles was a psychic told her the initials O W, and one of the letters sent to taunt the police used cut out letters, the word follOW had capitalized letters in the end backing the psychic's prediction.
    I absolutely adore Orson Welles and am fascinated with the black dahlia murder, but the pacios book offers no new insight into the cause of the murder or possible perpitrators. There is absolutely no motive for Orson Welles to murder Elizabeth Short or anyone.
    If I remember correctly, Pacios also said there were inferences in Welles' film "The Lady From Shanghai" that pointed to specific patterns of disfiguration on Short's body. More nonsense, I agree, she brought nothing to the party (other than giving us a portrait of Short in younger, happier--if she ever was truly happy--days).



  28. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Fascinating man!!!!!!!!


    Love him. I think he was incredibly hot when he was younger.

    Cupcake

    Yeah... I gotta agree with you there
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Orson welles Just two hours before he died...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGgUQ9zbIk
    Thanks for that. I never thought to look for it before. As others said, he looks pretty good and did a great job, though I do detect something a little off. He's a little too nice and has a scared look in his eyes. I'm thinking he might have already been having some pain.

    I love to hear him talk. Such a billiant man and what a sad story his life became. All because he was just too good to be restricted by the whole Hollywood system. It's been said enough already but I agree he just let himself go, gave up when he couldn't do the work that he really wanted to.

    That said, if you can live how you want and be that big and still make it to 70, that's not too bad

    Orson hosts/narrates an old cable favorite of mine called "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow", about Nostrodamus. It can easily be found on YouTube too.

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,078
    He really didn't look too bad for 70, except for the weight.

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by derbingle View Post
    No, he wasn't. But he should have been.
    Yes he should have been...he made the Orson part much more believable with the voice!

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lubbock/San Angelo Texas
    Posts
    3,461
    question!

    anyone know how rebecca died? can't seems to find anything on find a grave or wikipedia!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"



  33. #83
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    615

    A good movie

    I just saw "Orson and Me", what a good movie. A great director but what an azzhole to work for!

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    antioch, Ca Aka Satan's armpit
    Posts
    1,265
    They are making a movie out of the book Me and Orson Welles by Robert Caplow. It covers the period at the Mercury theater. Movie comes out around Christmas.
    Are you a badfish too?

  35. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,071
    the "interaction" between him and peter sellers was amusing in casino royale,1967.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

    Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

    "If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

  36. #86
    Mr. Wells was a well known "non flusher". He left Tom Snyder a gift when Tom Did the Tomorrow show. Gad what a mess that had to be.
    I fear you are underestimating the sneakiness.

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Mr. Wells was a well known "non flusher". He left Tom Snyder a gift when Tom Did the Tomorrow show. Gad what a mess that had to be.
    Very bizarre. Wonder what the psychological explanation for that type of behavior is? Certainly it imparts a great deal of disdain/disrespect to the person whose toilet was desecrated.

    Weird fucking man, very weird. Awfully full of himself, too.



  38. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Mr. Wells was a well known "non flusher". He left Tom Snyder a gift when Tom Did the Tomorrow show. Gad what a mess that had to be.
    A nonflusher?? I had no idea there was such a category of people. I know there are non seat wipers that leave tinkle remants.
    Wow!
    Regards,
    Mary

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,701
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Mr. Wells was a well known "non flusher". He left Tom Snyder a gift when Tom Did the Tomorrow show. Gad what a mess that had to be.
    Courtesy flush!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

  40. #90
    Well Tom found no humor in the gift and openly told the viewers about the incident. He was quite candid about his anger. I don't blame him and yes there is a group of Non-flushers. I guess they like the shock factor.Sick.
    I fear you are underestimating the sneakiness.

  41. #91
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    615
    I just ordered "This Is Orson Wells" by Peter Bogdovich. I heard that it is one of the best books written about the man.

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    608
    Orson Welles' first movie was the best film ever made, a movie that changed the way movies look. That's fantastic. I love Touch of Evil not a bad shot in the entire movie.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    I just ordered "This Is Orson Wells" by Peter Bogdovich. I heard that it is one of the best books written about the man.
    It is brilliant! You will love every minute of reading it.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    627
    I don't know how much I trust Cybill's insights, but she has talked about how interesting her days with Bogdovich were. They surrounded themselves with intellectuals and artists and it was lively and stimulating.

    Don't know about Welles being bi or gay. As someone mentioned before manners and standards of behavior change over time so it's easy to declare someone "gay" after they are gone.

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    627
    My grandmother was an avid radio listener and she listened to War of the Worlds when she was eight years old. According to her there were several disclaimers aired and most people would have recognized it as a radio drama or would have been familiar with the HG Wells story. She said she understood at the time that Orson Welles was presenting War of the Worlds on Mercury Theater of the Air.

    From what I've read, the hysteria was hyped in the press after the fact. The only people confused would have been those who tuned in late as there was a popular show on another channel. There wasn't widespread chaos as we have been lead to believe.

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    My grandmother was an avid radio listener and she listened to War of the Worlds when she was eight years old. According to her there were several disclaimers aired and most people would have recognized it as a radio drama or would have been familiar with the HG Wells story. She said she understood at the time that Orson Welles was presenting War of the Worlds on Mercury Theater of the Air.

    From what I've read, the hysteria was hyped in the press after the fact. The only people confused would have been those who tuned in late as there was a popular show on another channel. There wasn't widespread chaos as we have been lead to believe.

    The thing about the broadcast, at least according to several sources I have read through, is that Welles sneakily timed the "News break" segments with the more boring musical interludes on a rival networks broadcast, so when people were switching their dials looking for something else, all they heard were the false news reports.

    Welles did make sure the hysteria was hyped in the press though.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Holy Land (Texas)
    Posts
    5,096
    Beyond "interesting". Thank you, Kman, for that find.
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

    Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,395
    Thank you very much for that, most appreciated. I always wondered what project he was working on when he had the heart attack with the typewriter perched upon his stomach in bed.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  50. #100
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    615
    Still reading it, great book!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •