Thread: Eugene Polley, inventor of the wireless TV remote

Eugene Polley, inventor of the wireless TV remote

http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.c...ies-at-96?lite

I owe this man so much! Without his invention, I'd be replacing the carpet between my couch and the TV every year!

wireless? since when were tv remotes not wire-less? They used to be attached to a cord? Thats funny

I owe this guy my fat fanny! Actually I seldom use my remote as a matter of pure stubborness.

Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    wireless? since when were tv remotes not wire-less? They used to be attached to a cord? Thats funny
    The first TV remote control, "Lazy Bones", developed in 1950 by Zenith, had a cable running from the TV to the control. It wasn't until five years later that Polley created the first wireless television remote control for Zenith, the "Flash-Matic". It wasn't an ultrasonic remote though. It used photoelectric cells which were located around each corner of the TV, and the user would shine a flashlight at whatever cell was necessary to operate the tuner or turn the TV or the sound on/off. Zenith rolled out the first ultrasonic remote control a year later.

Check this page out if you are bored or you want to learn more about the history of remote controls.
    Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

I can remember seeing advertisements for tv with a wired remote control...the remote was connected to the set via cord. I also recall a remote tv an aunt and uncle owned back in the early 1960's...it was wireless remote (Polley's type) which actuated a motor to turn the channel selector...you still had to get up to change the volume...that's what the kids were for.
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

As my Dad said...we don't need a remote, I have 7 daughters to get up and change the channel....lol...So glad that he came out with the remote..lol
    "A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

When I heard this man died, I lost it. (rimshot)
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Nice, Magnus!

rimshot.jpg

I heard they were going to spread his ashes between the couch cushions in every home in America!

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

However what made the remote take off was whoever came up with the idea of the mute bu.....
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."