Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman fatally shot in home of Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Do you think if they decide to publicly hang him there will be people in the crowd calling out letters?
    Heyyyyyyyyy! ba-dumm-TSST (insert studio audience laugh track)

Pretty decent amount of blood produced in the bathroom...I forgot that she was hit three times. The side story with diagram (entitled "How I Killed Reeva") seems like utter jive to me. Uh, he didn't notice she wasn't in bed with him when he was "too scared" to turn the lights on (one knows when their partner is/isn't in bed, right?); if he did think a perp crawled through an open bathroom window, the perp would've been completely cornered, so Pistorius could've just kept the gun up and called 911, waiting for the perp to emerge, no?; and he shouted through the toilet door for the intruder to get out of the house, then fired through the door?!? Sounds like a way to create the fake scenario (neighbors would possibly testify to hearing him shout those words). Maybe everyone knows already and this whole thread is anti-Pistorius, I haven't read up on it...but dang, this seems stinky.

Anyway, all that to say, my favorite part of the diagram was the little drawing of the tiny blade-leg prostheses perched at the bottom of his bed. I can see where one might feel less able to defend themselves with such a physical condition (though it sounds like he has mental issues of paranoia). But a guy with two legs, half of two legs, no legs, one arm, whatever, pointing a loaded gun is still a guy with deadly force in his hand. JMO.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    Yeah, at a certain point, claiming "mistaken identity" and "impulse" as more and more evidence comes to light just becomes ludicrous. I'm impressed, however, with how quickly he was arrested after the incident. Somehow I doubt that a comparable person in this country would be arrested anywhere near that quickly.
    Funny that you exemplify the legal and judicial system of the Republic of South Africa and question the probity of your own country's system in a comparison of the two on the basis of on case tainted by corruption and media hype.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Can we at least slip in a few seconds of Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light"?

"Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night . . ." would be enough.
    You mean Manfred Mann right?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I believe Bruce wrote the song.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I believe Bruce wrote the song.
    He did, and his version is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Funny that you exemplify the legal and judicial system of the Republic of South Africa and question the probity of your own country's system in a comparison of the two on the basis of on case tainted by corruption and media hype.
    Hmmmm..... To which country's case tainted by corruption and media hype are you referring? Seems like we have a metric fuckton of cases that fit that description here, and I can only imagine that every other country with something that passes as a judicial system can claim the same. And yes, who knows how much drama preceded the arrest in South Africa to which we weren't privy, but it still seems to me that most high profile cases here have WEEKS of "are they going to arrest XYZ or not" before (if) an arrest is made.

How much is a metric fuckton in craploads?

"Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    How much is a metric fuckton in craploads?
    Aren't they all equal to about five miles? I have trouble with the conversions...

Arrow Oscar Pistorious 'Bladerunner' Trial About to Start

http://www.people.com/people/article...789711,00.html

The Oscar Pistorius trial is less than two weeks away and newly leaked documents show startling revelations about the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of the Olympic star's girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

On Valentine's Day last year, security guards from Pistorius's South African luxury estate called him after the early morning shooting and asked if "everything was in order," according to a court documentobtained by South African television station eNCA.

[H]e indicated that he was fine," the document reportedly says, adding, "He never asked for their assistance and did not make a report about the shooting incident to them."

Pistorius, who has claimed the shooting was a case of mistaken identity – he thought he was shooting an intruder and not Steenkamp, 29, – previously said he immediately scrambled for help.

In a sworn affidavit at an earlier bail hearing, Pistorius said, "I phoned Johan Stander, who was involved in the administration of the estate, and asked him to phone the ambulance. I phoned Netcare (a private emergency services company) and asked for help. I went downstairs to open the front door."

The court document, which both sides deny leaking, also says that a female witness heard "talking like fighting," which she assumed was an argument. "This stopped after the shots were fired," the document states.

Pistorius has maintained the couple spent a loving night together.

While the report shows the basic outline of the state's game plan to prove Pistorius is guilty, one revelation could be beneficial to the defense.

The report says the prosecution's own ballistics analysis backs up Pistorius's claim that he was not wearing his prosthetic legs when he fired his gun four times through a locked bathroom door, killing his model girlfriend Steenkamp. The defense has suggested if the shooting were premeditated he would have had on his prosthetics.

The trial begins March 3 in Pretoria, the capital of South Africa. Known as the Blade Runner, Pistorius, the first paralympian to compete in the able-bodied Olympics, is charged with premeditated murder, illegal possession of ammunition, as well as two additional gun-related charges.

Reporting by ANNA HAWES

I hope its televised!!
    <a href=http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg target=_blank>http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg</a>

I really struggle with this. He is one of my all time heroes. What he has achieved is huge. To see this is heartbreaking. The South African police appear to have been trained by the keystone cops so I'm hoping the jury will see that (in my opinion) this was a tragic accident. I may be slightly blinded by him but I've not read anything that would convince me he intended to murder his girlfriend
    “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”

How far would you drive to rock in another man's grave?- Love/Hate, Happy Hour

I think he is guilty... just like O.J.

Of murder? There is no doubt he killed her, nobody is denying that. But how they can say it's premeditated murder is beyond me
    “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”

Please do a search before creating a thread, Tiff.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

The trial is rapidly turning into a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    why would a role model have to be an athlete?
    they're just humans who often (and have more money and power to) fuck up, who happen to be good an running or riding a bike or hitting a ball or something.
    Two Words: Wayne Gretzky.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    The trial is rapidly turning into a circus.
    Well the whole investigation has been a total farce from the start. If I was South African I would be embarrassed

I don't know if it's been mentioned but two points, first, Reeva was in shorts and a top, not pj's/nightgown when she was shot. Second, anabolic steroids were found in OP's home. This could well be a case of roid rage. Portions of the trial will be televised.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

Execute this stupid piece of shit. And to think some sick women are supporting this sicko.

there were 2 phones in the bathroom so they think Reeva was cheating on him and talking to him on her cell in the bathroom & that Oscar had on his legs- he said he did not put them on
    <a href=http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg target=_blank>http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg</a>

Allison Hope Weiner, Mike Cavaluzzi and on occasion Loni Coombs have covered the Zimmerman and Dunn trials on The Lip TV.

http://thelip.tv/

Looking forward to their coverage of the OP trial.

Pistorius Trial: The Pieces of the Puzzle

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_of...of-the-puzzle/
    Last edited by Giada; 03-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

If Oscar did not put on his legs, that means little or nothing. He surely knew his GF was in the bathroom, whether for the usual reason or to make a private call after the alleged argument. He did not need to put anything on if all he was trying to do was scare the s*** out of her, or just wound her. That her actual DEATH was unintended, I can accept up to a point, but not for a minute do I believe he thought he had a burglar, given the secure community he lived in, or if he DID, he would have made EXTRA-darned sure Reeva WAS safely in bed with him BEFORE pulling his gun.

This wasn't a well-thought-out plan to kill that would be considered first-degree, I'm thinking, but he WAS responsible, he KNEW what might happen. He COULD simply have tossed the woman out on her bum, bad publicity and the reality show be damned, but in his anger he chose to intimidate her in a terrifying way, and it got too far out of hand. Somewhat akin to the Phil Spector--Lana Clarkson situation, though a tragic outcome in THAT case was FAR more likely, given the proximity of the shooter and victim!
    Last edited by Linnie; 03-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.

More likely he was half asleep when he got up, without his legs, to close a window/shut off a noisy air con (I forget) and in that haze believed he heard an intruder. It was pitch black and he was afraid. He'd had an attempted break in shortly before and he knew the 'secure' gated community wasn't all that secure. The guards were easily bribed/intimidated. There is no evidence their relationship was in any sort of trouble- on the contrary there is CCTV of them in the days leading up to it showing them laughing and kissing, and the pic of her entering the community in her car that evening showed her smiling- so why he would deliberately kill her is beyond me. I don't recall hearing anything about steroids in the house but the prosecution have thrown all sorts of bizarre allegations his way which have been later retracted.

Who, when sleeping with a spouse or familiar partner in a bedroom with an attached bathroom, would wake up in the night, hear someone in that BR, and automatically assume it was an intruder (with weak bladder/bowels apparently) without making totally certain it was not the spouse/partner? And certainly without having a good look and/or touch in the bed first?

People have inadvertently shot family members mistaken for intruders but they usually do not live in heavily secured communities, and the intruders are not using the bathroom-- and the master bathroom, which IS for the use of people in the master bedroom, after all. In the cases I have read (some on this forum) it was either a family member or friend that the shooter was not expecting to be there, or trying to be stealthy and failing, or a kid pulling a stupid prank that got them killed.

As for displaying of affection, I would argue that was for the benefit of the cameras and paparazzi. (It's been years, I admit, since I believed public figures are even CAPABLE of spontaneous, sincere emotions. Starting to believe that of most OTHER humans as well.)

There was some trouble there, it seems clear. I don't believe this was intentional or planned, and I also believe it was immediately regretted, but there was, apparently, an overheard argument about SOMETHING that neighbors claimed they heard that night.

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_of...-south-africa/

But prosecutors in the Pistorius case have an edge, said du Toit: “Any person that has admitted to killing another person in circumstances when your actions are unlawful will face a steep hurdle in getting off scot-free.”

South Africa has stringent laws regulating the use of lethal force for self-protection. In order to get a permit to own a firearm, applicants must not only know those rules but must demonstrate proficiency with the weapon and knowledge of its safe handling, making it far tougher to legally own a gun in South Africa than many other countries where a mere background check suffices.

Pistorius took such a competency test for his 9 mm pistol and passed it, according to the South African Police Service’s National Firearms Center. He therefore should have known that firing through a closed door cannot be viewed in South African law as an accident, according to Andre Pretorius, president of the Professional Firearm Trainers Council, a regulatory body for South African firearms instructors.

Anybody been following the trial? Just started yesterday. What a beautiful girl Reeva was. The neighbor on the stand yesterday said she heard a woman screaming BEFORE the shots were fired. He's also apparently open fired in public places before. I guess it's possible to be this stupid, but who the hell hears a noise in the bathroom and knowing their partner is in the house just shoots through the door? Not even a knock to see if it's his girlfriend?! I just don't think I'm buying this guys story, he's either criminally dangerous or criminally stupid.

Check the graphic in the following artice (just scroll down a little to the gray graphic 'Is Oscar Pistorious guilty?'). It lays out the sequence brilliantly with 3D views of the apartment, the key sequences and both Oscar's and the Prosecution's version of events. No need to try and visualise the apartment, it lays it right out for you.

*Note* To scroll forward in the graphic, click on the text in the graphic labelled 'Moment 2' (with an arrow).

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/...-1226846202364

Check the graphic in the following artice (just scroll down a little to the gray graphic 'Is Oscar Pistorious guilty?'). It lays out the sequence brilliantly with 3D views of the apartment, the key sequences and both Oscar's and the Prosecution's version of events. No need to try and visualise the apartment, it lays it right out for you.

*Note* To scroll forward in the graphic, click on the text in the graphic labelled 'Moment 2' (with an arrow).

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/...-1226846202364
    Thanks for that. Interesting to see the apartment as it happened. Here's what I wonder, if you are sitting on the toilet at 3am having a pee pee and a bullet flys through th door, would you not scream? How could it have taken him shooting four times to hear it was her in there? Granted I know squat about fire arms, but this doesn't sound logical to me.

Great find Neil! Thanks!

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Has any mention been made of the cricket bat? At the time it happened a couple of newspapers claimed Reeva had head injuries and the bat had blood on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Has any mention been made of the cricket bat? At the time it happened a couple of newspapers claimed Reeva had head injuries and the bat had blood on it.
    Ooooh I hadn't heard that, I will look into it. I know that one of the gun shots did hit her in the head and I suppose he could've dropped the bat in the bathroom getting blood on it, but I would be interested to find out if she had a head wound consistent with a blow and not a shot?

She was his girlfriend, not his wife. A world of difference there. He could split with her and move on quite easily as there were no kids involved. If they were married she would have more of a claim on him and it would be more complicated.

He had no reason to kill her. They could have gone their own ways quite easily.

just a feeling I have...I bet dude will get off. (hope I'm wrong)

She was his girlfriend, not his wife. A world of difference there. He could split with her and move on quite easily as there were no kids involved. If they were married she would have more of a claim on him and it would be more complicated.

He had no reason to kill her. They could have gone their own ways quite easily.
    Yes, I think because there were two cell phones she had with her in the bathroom, I bet there was an argument over something one of them found on the other's phone. I know the prosecutors were here in the US just last week trying to get all the info off a phone. I know the day before she died, she had had lunch with an ex boyfriend who she'd remained friends with. Perhaps he found texts between them? I think the fact she had a phone with her in the bathroom says A LOT. If she had simply gotten up to use the toilet, why did she lock herself in with a phone? My guess is she was running from him, locked herself in there with the intention to call the police, but he shot first.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyLittleDeathHag View Post
    Yes, I think because there were two cell phones she had with her in the bathroom, I bet there was an argument over something one of them found on the other's phone. I know the prosecutors were here in the US just last week trying to get all the info off a phone. I know the day before she died, she had had lunch with an ex boyfriend who she'd remained friends with. Perhaps he found texts between them? I think the fact she had a phone with her in the bathroom says A LOT. If she had simply gotten up to use the toilet, why did she lock herself in with a phone? My guess is she was running from him, locked herself in there with the intention to call the police, but he shot first.
    Good point which I clearly overlooked. A 'discovered' text was what led Tiger Wood's wife to belt him over the head with a 5 iron, and launched that long drawn out fiasco.

The onsite security department called him after neighbors reported shots fired. Pistorius he told them everything is fine, but he was crying.
    The call was lost, and Pistorius called them back incoherent and crying, the second call was lost.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...d-a48261d3e26b

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    The onsite security department called him after neighbors reported shots fired. Pistorius he told them everything is fine, but he was crying.
    The call was lost, and Pistorius called them back incoherent and crying, the second call was lost.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...d-a48261d3e26b

Yikes. I think he's going down. One of his friends testified that he had shot a gun in a restaurant once and asked one of his friends to take the blame, the guy who testified didn't but another friend did. It clearly demonstrates he's more than willing to lie to cover his tracks. Going doooooown.

I think he did do it, but I also think that once it fully clicked in his head of what he had done that he felt really upset about the fact that he killed her. I think his best bet right now is just to fess up and tell the truth of everything that happened because this is very likely going to come down to a guilty verdict anyway. If he really is remorseful then he should at least do this last thing for Reeva and give her family the closure they want from this entire mess. I'd heard too recently that he had cheated on his previous girlfriend with Reeva so that's probably gonna be used in some way during this trial whether it be saying she was cheating on him or he was cheating on her and she found out.

Did anyone catch the CNN special about this case last night? I meant to watch it and then totally forgot. I hope they air it again soon.

Just saw a trial update. Pathologists presented graphic autopsy results, and Pistorius was repeatedly shaking, crying, and vomiting into a bucket during the testimony (imagine the smell in the courtroom?!):

"PRETORIA (Reuters) - Track star Oscar Pistorius, on trial for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, wept and vomited into a bucket in a South African courtroom on Monday after hearing graphic details from her autopsy.
    Pathologist Gert Saayman was interrupted several times by the 27-year-old Paralympic and Olympic athlete's sobbing and retching but the defense team argued against an adjournment, saying a break would not improve his state of mind.

In between bouts of sobbing and retching, Pistorius sat with his head bowed, covering his ears with his hands and a white handkerchief in an attempt to block out Saayman's testimony."

The judge ordered a media blackout during this testimony, so thankfully we won't be treated to soundbites of Oscar's retching, etc. Although I'm sure something will turn up somewhere, soon. I'm guessing the media isn't allowed cell phones in court, but who knows.

I believe the murder wasn't pre-meditated, but a sudden thing based on anger, and I think hearing this testimony just brought reality crashing to the forefront for Oscar. I'm sure he's been trying not to think about it for the past year.
    "The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse..."

Wow, vomiting...that's a nice "performance" for the trial. This guy wants to get off so he can go back to his free South African life as a celebrity athlete. Not going to happen. You shot an unarmed female, ya idiot.

It's the barfing that did it for me. My mother said you only cry so hard you barf if you're scared, *not because you are sorry*. I have never seen another adult do that, ever. I think he is going to get off, but I believe he killed her in a moment of anger, not fear and apprehension over a burglary.
    I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by UniPolarMommaBear View Post
    It's the barfing that did it for me. My mother said you only cry so hard you barf if you're scared, *not because you are sorry*. I have never seen another adult do that, ever. I think he is going to get off, but I believe he killed her in a moment of anger, not fear and apprehension over a burglary.
    Yes I think so too, he snapped in anger, he doesn't seem like the kinda person who should have a gun, even before this. I'm not sure he will get off. I'm not sure if the barfing was him realizing what he actually did. I do think he's sorry in some way, but too bad!! He can't just get away with this. I heard Jean Casarez say tonight that if he's found guilty even of the gun charges he's facing and not the murder charge, he can be in prison for life. I think he's gonna get something...I just don't know what. I don't think it's going well for him, although I do think the barfing may have helped him some. The judge was a social worker and a big advocate against domestic violence. This may very well work against him.

I am glued to this trial. Admittedly, had no idea who the hell he even was before the shooting. (Yes. I am a fat middle aged housewife living under a rock, who watches crime shows and writes. The only sporty thing about me is my haircut. ) I was watching the news coverage the day he was arrested and my 16 year old comes out into the LR and is all "Whoa!! Blade runner is in jail??! What happened to him?!?!" SO, it is a family interest here. And my mom is all into it now because it's my house, it's my tv and we watch what I say we watch. (HA! Kidding - but she did get an interest after mine)
    Going down for something - just don't think it'll be murder 1 or it's equivalent. JMHO. So GuiltyLittleDeathHag, we will watch and debate together.
    I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it. ~ Maya Angelou

Wow, in the reports about the barfing, I missed this. At least two witnesses have testified they heard shots, a woman's screams, more shots.
    Turns out there is a perfectly logical explanation, the second set of shots were Oscar breaking down the door with the cricket bat, and the screams were Oscar himself!!

"Johan Stipp, a radiologist and one of the first responders to the incident, testified that he earlier heard a woman's screams and a man's shouts before a second grouping of sounds that he said were gunshots on the night Pistorius shot girlfriend Steenkamp.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel asked him if bangs he heard after the woman's screams could have been Pistorius swinging a bat at the toilet cubicle door to get to a mortally wounded Steenkamp, but Stipp said the noises came in too quick of a succession to be bat swings.

Pistorius says he screamed before he shot Steenkamp, thinking he was telling a dangerous intruder in his home to get out. He also says he screamed for help after, but Steenkamp was silent throughout.

Stipp, who lived in a house behind and across the road from Pistorius' villa, also repeatedly used the word "intermingled" to describe the sounds of a man shouting and a woman screaming, saying he believed two people were yelling at the time.

Stipp also said he saw a bathroom light on in Pistorius' house before the sound of the woman's screams. The defense says it will show that only Pistorius screamed during the shooting and his voice may have been mistaken for Steenkamp because they say it is high-pitched when he is anxious.

Continuing his cross-examination of Stipp, Pistorius' defense lawyer Barry Roux said audio tests conducted after the shooting would show that Stipp couldn't have heard a woman screaming from the toilet cubicle as Pistorius shot through the door."

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/a...ke-cricket-bat

Ok, so you can't hear a woman screaming bloody murder as shots are coming through what looked to be a fairly cheap bathroom door. But you could hear Oscar and his girly voice screaming 3 feet away? So glad they cleared that up.

Was Reeva's Post Mortem/Autopsy report ever released?

I just wonder since they are making such a big deal about it not being aired.

Also, I don't know if anybody read it and if it's already been reported sorry but I saw on the TV that she supposedly kissed a guy who was on her reality show with her then begged the producers not to air the clip because Oscar would not be happy. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

I don't buy that stuff about Pistorius sounding female when he is anxious. I have 3 sons, (one who is effeminate - although not gay) and a long road of exes (as I'm sure a lot of us do.). NOT ONCE have I heard a man sound female when screaming. Granted, haven't been at the scene of any murders lately, but it seems a stretch. I am stuck on the autopsy report. He says they went to bed at 10 pm. He hasn't changed that, as far as I know. If they were in bed sleeping - since 10 pm, how did she eat a full meal no sooner than 1 am?? Where did she go to eat the meal? When did he eat? How did she eat a meal 3 hours after being sound asleep? Why would healthy, young adults be in bed ASLEEP by 10 pm on "the most romantic day" of they year, when she didn't arrive but 3 -4 hours earlier?? I'm not even young anymore - or sexy - and even me and Hubbs aren't sleeping by 10pm, never mind on V day. I just don't think things add up. And Jeez - if I accidentally shot my lover, and the security team is phoning me for the second time, I may be scared shitless and freaked out, but I think I'd be yelling HELP ME!!! I SHOT HER!!! Not saying it's fine and hanging up!! GUiltylildeath hag - where are you????LOL?

I was cleaning my room a bit yesterday, and found a lot of stuff from our trip to London in August/September 2012. My husband and I went there for our 10th anniversary, just at the start of the Paralympics. The first thing in the folder of stuff was a bunch of newspaper articles about Pistorius, how he'd be carrying the South African flag in the Opening Ceremonies, how proud he was, etc. I'll tell you, I was obsessed with this guy at the time, and had such a huge crush on him. It's so sad that it's come to this.

They interviewed Reeva's mom earlier this week, and apparently her parents are financially destitute. She was supposedly paying most/all of her bills.
    "The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse..."

If anybody has footage of Oscar puking in the courtroom...please post it here.

His dramatics in court are becoming tiresome. Enough already!! He did it, he knows he did it, the jury probably knows he did it. He can whine and cry and vomit but everyone knows he's guilty. He made damned well sure that if he couldn't have his girlfriend, not one else was going to have her either. To me it's an open and shut case. His defense has too many holes in it.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

There is no jury. A female judge only. There is no dispute he did it. He says it was a horrible accident. Prosecution says premeditated in anger.