Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing Everest

anyone have a link to his last phone call?

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Intresting article about the 96 diaster. http://adventure.nationalgeographic....esturs/#page=7

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Intresting article about the 96 diaster. http://adventure.nationalgeographic....esturs/#page=7
    I read the book this was taken from, it was really interesting. He stressed that the summit is only halfway, and you have to go all that way back down, too. It seems like a lot of people get close to the summit and push for it, not really thinking that they have days of climbing left before they get to base camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Not only dead bodies, trash and lots of oxygen tanks, but also frozen shit too. I heard that was a hazard - with it dried up and the wind blowing the flakes around everywhere...ewww.
    I remember reading that Sherpa's get a certain amount of money for each bottle they bring down.

As far as your shit theory, I've never read anything like that... but it's funny as fuck.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16814&dateline=1337859949

Your cigarette still burns...
    Your messed-up world will thrill me...

Suck it.

The Dead of Mount Everest

So a friend of mine posted this link to my Facebook page today as he thought it was relative to my interests. It certainly was, and therefore I thought it would be to you guys as well.

These are a few pictures and some brief stories of those who have lost their lives either climbing or descending Mount Everest.

The thing about Mount Everest is, if ANYTHING happens to you that incapacitates you at all, your fate is sealed. Between the cold, the treacherous terrain, and the lack of oxygen in the high atmosphere, if you get hurt and are immobile, you won't make it back down alive. In fact, you won't make it back down at all.

Rescue of the injured is a rare occurrence. Body recovery isn't an option at all.

No one really knows how many dead are up there. But there are many, and they can be seen easily from the trails going up and coming down. Some are even used as waypoints and markers for those heading to the summit. They tell a sad story, but give warning to those what they risk by being up there. With more and more people making the trek every year, the mountain has become a sad testament to just how fragile we are, and how little business we have of being up there. I wonder how long before we finally leave it, and it's dead be.

Anyway, here is the link. WARNING, there are 13 pictures of corpses, but nothing too gory or graphic at all. Mostly, it just makes you sad:

http://imgur.com/a/rkRAk

There was a show on Discovery I believe called "Everest" that followed a group of climbers up the mountain. The organizer/leader was an Australian man. It was a fascinating show about what it takes to make the climb, the discipline, strength, training, etc. Until then I had no idea about the "traffic jams" coming up and down, the bodies being left, the trash, etc. I don't know how Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay did it without the modern equipment climbers use today, the check points, the ladders/ropes already in place, etc. Absolutely amazing. I can see the personal victory one gets from reaching the summit; certainly no easy feat. I also think it is a shame it has become such a dump.

I have this thing about bodies that are frozen in time (Pompeii for instance) it's completely fascinating I had no idea all these bodies stayed up there but reading about how they cant retrieve them it makes sense, but I really had no idea about it.(really annoys me about all the litter though I get leaving the bodies but damn people clean up after yourselves and others!) Very interesting! The Climbing Everest thread in entertainment should be merged into this one since it has all those great pictures of the bodies. * feeling really macabre about how interested in those pics I am lol *

This has always fascinated me. I don't think I would pitch a tent near a body though.

The first picture with the guy in the cave that just got to me, I mean why would anyone want to do this?
    "Never say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting" Peter Pan.