Thread: The Great Gatsby opened today!

Red face The Great Gatsby opened today!

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books of all time, so I couldn't wait to see the latest production with Leonardo DiCaprio et al. I loved it! I think that Robert Redford made for a better Gatsby, but the cinematography, soundtrack and costuming on the new one is over the top. BTW, I love book so much that I had a cat I named Catsby.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

I'll probably be checking it out tonight or sometime this week. I remember reading the book and watching one of the movies in High School. Probably the Redford one.

I am an English major so I have had to read the book plenty of times and I love it. I made my hubby take me to it last night even though he is not that big of a fan, and I really liked it. I think the one from the 70's is kind of boring and even though I love Redford, it just seems kind of stale. The new one seems to really capture the craziness and decadence of the 20's. It's not for everyone, but I am a big Baz Luhrman fan, so I really liked it

I saw the original and liked it. Probably about 20 years ago, not when it came out. Why? Because back when it came out I had a best friend with a monumental crush on Redford. So did her mom. They went to see it in the theater immediately and talked about Redford non-stop after that. Yeah, but what about the movie, I thought. If you said you hadn't seen the movie, they'd go on about why you should for days. If someone had seen it, the best friend monopolized any conversation we were having with all things Redford. Just really obnoxious. So it put me off seeing it until I was older and it came on HBO or Showtime one day. Seeing it then, I found the relationship and dynamics between Gatsby and Daisy's character (I think it was) played by Mia Farrow interesting. I was going to comment on the original ending. But if the new and old end the same way (don't look at me like that, you know what the new Hollywood does to the classics), I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

As for the remake, I haven't seen it but like DiCaprio as an actor. I didn't used to. All that pretty boy, teen hearthrob business. Romeo and Juliet being a mess, etc. Meh. Then I saw him in The Aviator. All grown up, he could act. How 'bout that.

I saw a trailer for the movie on tv and am not familiar with the lead actress. But the staging and cinematography do give it that decadent look I'd expect. And Baz Luhrman, you say? Well, that explains that. I've seen a couple of his movies and the scenery is always spectacular. Or as they said in Moulin Rouge, spectacular, spectacular!

So I'll probably see it when it rolls around.

Years ago in high school one had to read the book:
    The Great Gatsby(1925) F. Scott Fitzgerald.

But to be honest the book was so boring
    I hated it.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I love all things art deco...and really hope that style comes back into vogue with the help of this movie, but I'm not sure when I'll see it. Probably will wait for netflix (just 'cause life is too busy/hectic for me to make it to a movie theater).

I don't care about the anachronistic soundtrack...if the music fits the story/characters/style of the movie it doesn't matter to me.

Saw it last night and enjoyed it, though the group of people in front of me didn't. They left with about 20 mins to go in the movie, lol. Oh well, just meant less people sitting in front of me!

Quote Originally Posted by snowblindburd View Post
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it, though the group of people in front of me didn't. They left with about 20 mins to go in the movie, lol. Oh well, just meant less people sitting in front of me!
    that would have been me walking out and I only went because I had a free pass. It's one of those books I keep on my night stand for when I have trouble sleeping.

Ah, yeah with the price of movies these days I wouldn't have walked out even if I hated it, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by snowblindburd View Post
    Ah, yeah with the price of movies these days I wouldn't have walked out even if I hated it, lol!
    Me too! I just saw Iron Man 3 in 3D, and with military discount it was still friggin' $16.50. WTH. Good thing they don't search bags (I brought in water, diet soda & Whoppers). Anyway, Gatsby...I should try re-reading the book, as it was required in high school and I disliked the first two chapters so I just did Cliffs Notes to pass the tests.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

the mansion is listed for sale at $17 million

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...big-short-icon