Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merv Griffin

Merv Griffin

Wow!

I didn't see a thread on ole Merv!

I do have a question though about Merv and his burial! He must of been moved? When he first was interred it was above ground in a crypt! Now I noticed he has been placed below ground.

Does anyone have any info on this? Where is Scott Michaels when you need him???

I do not have any info. I bet Scott does or can lay his finger on some, minimally

I loved the Mervster. I loved his show, I never missed it.
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

I would like to know more about Merv, I heard he was gay, true??

Member since 10/10/07

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    I would like to know more about Merv, I heard he was gay, true??
    Gay - but denied it kicking and screaming all the way until the end...what a way to waste your life, y'know?

The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.
    It was actually quite funny as I recall...

"....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.

"....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

Well there goes my day, visualizing ole Merv wearing a G-String!! LOL

I loved him in the Steve Martin movie, The man with 2 brains!

A great mastermind for shows and varieties!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    A great mastermind for shows and varieties!
    Your avatar is great. That's the cat on ecstasy listening to techno......I think I have that somewhere........

ok, i'm not swearing to anything, but...the day of his funeral, they broadcast it on the afternoon news in L.A...the family stepped outside on the steps of the Good Shepherd Church and said there would be a private reception at the Beverly Hills Hotel for everyone to go on over while the family only followed the casket to the burial site. this much i watched on tv myself.

Now, if anyone that has driven in LA, the church is located on Santa Monica Blvd and Westwood is the closest cemetary to be able to go and inter the body and get back to the reception located on the corners of Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd.

we went by the very next day and found the place he will have his name plate because i recognized the spray of flowers from the funeral. go figure, it is in a back nook kind of thing one walk over from Dean Martin. It's new so maybe that's why there is no one else there. Looks like there will be room for 20 more folks and they will slide in the wall sideways, not forward like Marilyn.

Hope this helps, sorry it's long. i have a picture because all the flowers were white. Roses, lilies and such but i don't know how to post it on here. Also as a side note, i noticed a guy i think from FAG there looking also.

That was a temp crypt and now he's in a bench estate with a new marker.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=20909851

Kim
    Last edited by kdeazell; 03-03-2008 at 06:25 PM.

thanks so much! i hope to go either Christmas Day or the day after. The whole family wants to go to Vegas this year and i don't.
    I will look this up next time we are down and thanks again!

Now there is a sight I definitely would not want to see. Wrong on so many levels.

Thumbs up Merv Griffin

I think the guy in question was "Denny Terrio" from "Dance Fever" here is a little snipet!
    Denny ("Deney") Terrio is a choreographer, former film actor and one-time host of the television musical variety series Dance Fever from 1979 to 1985. He sued Merv Griffin, the show's producer, for sexual harassment; the $11.3 million case was later dismissed by a judge.[1]

I got a chuckle out of this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's an article about Merv's secret gay life in the February 11 issue of National Enquirer.

Griffin's "close friend & personal psychic" John Cohan claims Merv was gay and he personally witnessed Griffin seduce River Phoenix after plying him with alcohol at a party around 1991. He said "Merv was instantly smitten with the younger man, having seen him in the film "My Own Private Idaho," in which River played a gay street hustler. "Merv said 'I want to meet him!' He was like an excited teenage boy."

Cohan said: "Toward the middle of the evening, Merv comes over to me and says 'I'm going to take a drink to River.' I said: 'Well, go easy, he's a fragile young kid. Watch it with the liquor.' "As the evening wore on, Cohan claims he saw River and he said: 'Merv's giving me alot to drink. I shouldn't be drinking this much.' It was clear Merv was trying to get him drunk -- and he succeeded.

"Merv came out from one of the rooms, and he was smiling and said "Mission accomplished!" Cohan asked Merv later "Why did you get him so drunk and do that?" Merv said "Oh he's just so adorable, I couldn't resist."

The article also says Merv had affairs with Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, and Gardner McKay.

It also says Merv's marriage to Julann Elizabeth Wright was a sham to cover up his sexuality. The 1991 lawsuit by Brent Plott is also mentioned.

Wasn't Eva Gabor also his companion/beard for many years ?? I wonder if she new of his proclativities ??

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Wasn't Eva Gabor also his companion/beard for many years ?? I wonder if she new of his proclativities ??

I'm sure she was very much aware and in Hollywood I think it was an open secret. I heard this is how Ryan Seacrest got his start.

River Phoenix?? Ewwww not a pleasant thought. I hope Merv didn't show him his g-string.

The Ryan Seacrest rumors crack me up though. There has to be some explanation for Ryan's success. It's certainly not talent.

I never understood why Merv Griffin is noted as the "creator" of Jeopardy. The daytime version had been around from at least the mid-60's. I don't Merv had anything to do with it at that time.

And even tho' he's "married with children," am I the only one who thinks that Merv and Alex Trebek had something going on?
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 02-27-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Didn't Jerry Lewis say that Merv deserved to die because he didn't take care of himself?
    Johnny Carson 1925-2005.

My blog about celebrity deaths, hospitalizations, failing health reports, etc.
    http://deathsandhospitalizations.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Didn't Jerry Lewis say that Merv deserved to die because he didn't take care of himself?
    I think he said that because he didn't seek treatment for his cancer, but with Jerry Lewis, you never know.

Merv Griffin was a great showman!
    I loved his shows in the 70's. I believe he invented THE TALK SHOW.
    He had so many great names on his show.
    The shows I loved were the "Theme Shows". I believe these shows led
    to the famous "talk shows" to come.

One of the most memorable Merv Griffin shows was when actor
    Chad Everett pissed off Lily Tomlin. He said something like "I own
    my wife" or something similar.
    Lily Tomlin was so angry that she said "I'm leaving!" and got up
    and stormed off the show!

The college that i went to, their mascot is a Griffin and his name is MERV, super cheesy and if they knew what the real Merv was said to be up to in his personal life, Im sure this nice Catholic college would lose the name.

What a visual this is

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    The college that i went to, their mascot is a Griffin and his name is MERV, super cheesy and if they knew what the real Merv was said to be up to in his personal life, Im sure this nice Catholic college would lose the name.
    Back in the 70's when Merv had his daily show. No one in the world
    would have believed what he was really like.
    He had a son too. He seemed so straight and conservative.

In the late 80's or early 90's Merv built a huge mansion in I believe
    Rancho Mirage California.
    After the mansion was completed the lights were turned on throughout the
    Estate to test
    them. Somehow there was a short in the wiring and the entire
    home burned to the ground!

How horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I'm sure she was very much aware and in Hollywood I think it was an open secret. I heard this is how Ryan Seacrest got his start.

I wonder how many stars made it due to satisfying a BIG SHOT
    sexually?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Merv Griffin was a great showman!
    I loved his shows in the 70's. I believe he invented THE TALK SHOW.
    He had so many great names on his show.
    The shows I loved were the "Theme Shows". I believe these shows led
    to the famous "talk shows" to come.

One of the most memorable Merv Griffin shows was when actor
    Chad Everett pissed off Lily Tomlin. He said something like "I own
    my wife" or something similar.
    Lily Tomlin was so angry that she said "I'm leaving!" and got up
    and stormed off the show!
    Oh my God I remember that show! He was really being obnoxious and Lilly just finally had a enough and staked off.
    I always wondered what went south with Cad everetts career. He wasn't bad looking and he could complete a sentence but then he just disappeared after Medical C.enter . I always figured there was more to why he poofed and disappeared.
    A little more gay trivia, Tyne and Tim Daly's Dad James Daly, who played the Ceif of Staff on Medical Center was a gay man. He passed at 59 and left behind an impressive body of work from movies, TV and the stage and even some music as well.

Back in the 70's when Merv had his daily show. No one in the world
    would have believed what he was really like.
    He had a son too. He seemed so straight and conservative.
    I know but they just named the mascot back in 2005, a friend and myself got a bit of a laugh out of it when they picked that name.

In their final years, Merv and Eva Gabor were frequent "dating partners" out and about.

Oh, in case some of you didn't know: GAY GUYS DO SCREW WOMEN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post

Oh, in case some of you didn't know: GAY GUYS DO SCREW WOMEN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!!

I have yet to meet one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    In their final years, Merv and Eva Gabor were frequent "dating partners" out and about.

My guess is they were very best friends who enjoyed each others company but also had an understanding of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    There's an article about Merv's secret gay life in the February 11 issue of National Enquirer.

Griffin's "close friend & personal psychic" John Cohan claims Merv was gay and he personally witnessed Griffin seduce River Phoenix after plying him with alcohol at a party around 1991. He said "Merv was instantly smitten with the younger man, having seen him in the film "My Own Private Idaho," in which River played a gay street hustler. "Merv said 'I want to meet him!' He was like an excited teenage boy."

Cohan said: "Toward the middle of the evening, Merv comes over to me and says 'I'm going to take a drink to River.' I said: 'Well, go easy, he's a fragile young kid. Watch it with the liquor.' "As the evening wore on, Cohan claims he saw River and he said: 'Merv's giving me alot to drink. I shouldn't be drinking this much.' It was clear Merv was trying to get him drunk -- and he succeeded.

"Merv came out from one of the rooms, and he was smiling and said "Mission accomplished!" Cohan asked Merv later "Why did you get him so drunk and do that?" Merv said "Oh he's just so adorable, I couldn't resist."

The article also says Merv had affairs with Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, and Gardner McKay.

It also says Merv's marriage to Julann Elizabeth Wright was a sham to cover up his sexuality. The 1991 lawsuit by Brent Plott is also mentioned.
    Hi, I'm new here on FAD. Been lurking for a while and I just HAD to post a response. OMG! That is an awful story about River. The things people have to do in Hollywood behind the scenes is enough to make one go insane or develop a nasty habit (insert vice).

SMDH.....

Merv was gay? So fucking what. May I remind you that our dear Scott Michaels is gay; Ich, Dennis, Jop, Jackolantern, and others are gay? I love them all and respect them and I don't care what their sexual orientations are.

Merv seduced River Phoenix? So fucking what? No one would think much about it if Phoenix had been a female, would they?
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Merv was gay? So fucking what. May I remind you that our dear Scott Michaels is gay; Ich, Dennis, Jop, Jackolantern, and others are gay? I love them all and respect them and I don't care what their sexual orientations are.

Merv seduced River Phoenix? So fucking what? No one would think much about it if Phoenix had been a female, would they?
    With all due respect, Merv didn't seduce River, he got him drunk and took advantage of him. I don't like predators, no matter what their sexual orientation is....

Is the story true though?
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Quote Originally Posted by glamgirltx View Post
    With all due respect, Merv didn't seduce River, he got him drunk and took advantage of him. I don't like predators, no matter what their sexual orientation is....
    Granted.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Is the story true though?
    We will never know because River is gone and so is Merv, BUT, to me I believe the story. This kinda fuckery goes on 24 hours a day and twice on Sunday in Hollywood...

I did not feel any sympathy upon hearing of Merv's death. His rep in LA was that of a business mogul, (property), but also of a seducer. Financially responsible without humanitarian accountability ... doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post

I never knew or suspected at all. I thought he was a happy family man with kids. He seemed like a man's man to me. I guess he was.....in a different way.
    Seducing River Phoniex, that story just creeped me out. What a predator.
    Using your power, money and influence to take advantage of a young person is criminal and he should have been charged and thrown in jail. Damn.

How does anyone here know if River was seduced or taken advantage of? Who cares really Im sure River got buttfucked many times by many different guys while passsed out on heroin at parties.
    Suck it.

I wonder how many stars made it due to satisfying a BIG SHOT
    sexually?
    My guess, MOST.

I remember an old episode of his show from the 80's when i was a child with the late Laura Branigan performing Self Control, and being interviewed by him. I will never forget that show. Two great performers of that time are now gone. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Oh my God I remember that show! He was really being obnoxious and Lilly just finally had a enough and staked off.
    I always wondered what went south with Cad everetts career. He wasn't bad looking and he could complete a sentence but then he just disappeared after Medical C.enter . I always figured there was more to why he poofed and disappeared.
    A little more gay trivia, Tyne and Tim Daly's Dad James Daly, who played the Ceif of Staff on Medical Center was a gay man. He passed at 59 and left behind an impressive body of work from movies, TV and the stage and even some music as well.
    So you remember that show! Good for you!
    Chad Everett was a big star in the 70's and appeared to have a wonderful
    marriage. But he was accused of fathering a child from a bit actress if I
    remember correctly. Chad was served with papers on one show and the
    server placed the papers on Chad's wife's lap! Anyway that episode was
    a huge mess for Chad Everett.
    And it seemed like his career went down hill after that.
    I also recall James Daly as being a gay actor.

Quote Originally Posted by MDCMDC1980 View Post
    I remember an old episode of his show from the 80's when i was a child with the late Laura Branigan performing Self Control, and being interviewed by him. I will never forget that show. Two great performers of that time are now gone. R.I.P.
    I just loved Laura Branigan!
    Another loss that should not have happened like Natasha Richardson.
    If only either of them had gone to the hospital when they were ill.
    A lesson for all of us.

he had a lovely bunch of coconuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu06KK_Yzuc

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post

Loved it! Thanks NewYorkDoll!

Merv told a story that sticks to my head. One of his very first jobs was
    as a Bank Clerk. He wasn't there very long when he took aside an
    older clerk and asked him how long he had been working at his job.
    The older clerk said something like 35 years.
    Merv said that he just gathered up his personal belongings and left
    the job.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post

Rest In Peace

I loved his talk show.