Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 54

Thread: Merv Griffin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392

    Merv Griffin

    Wow!

    I didn't see a thread on ole Merv!

    I do have a question though about Merv and his burial! He must of been moved? When he first was interred it was above ground in a crypt! Now I noticed he has been placed below ground.

    Does anyone have any info on this? Where is Scott Michaels when you need him???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,181
    I do not have any info. I bet Scott does or can lay his finger on some, minimally

    I loved the Mervster. I loved his show, I never missed it.
    .
    .
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,524
    I would like to know more about Merv, I heard he was gay, true??

    Member since 10/10/07

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    I would like to know more about Merv, I heard he was gay, true??
    Gay - but denied it kicking and screaming all the way until the end...what a way to waste your life, y'know?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CUMberland, Maryland
    Posts
    1,429
    The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.
    It was actually quite funny as I recall...

    "....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.
    It was actually quite funny as I recall...

    "....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

    Well there goes my day, visualizing ole Merv wearing a G-String!! LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    615
    I loved him in the Steve Martin movie, The man with 2 brains!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,530
    A great mastermind for shows and varieties!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    A great mastermind for shows and varieties!
    Your avatar is great. That's the cat on ecstasy listening to techno......I think I have that somewhere........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hell, Death Valley California
    Posts
    579
    ok, i'm not swearing to anything, but...the day of his funeral, they broadcast it on the afternoon news in L.A...the family stepped outside on the steps of the Good Shepherd Church and said there would be a private reception at the Beverly Hills Hotel for everyone to go on over while the family only followed the casket to the burial site. this much i watched on tv myself.

    Now, if anyone that has driven in LA, the church is located on Santa Monica Blvd and Westwood is the closest cemetary to be able to go and inter the body and get back to the reception located on the corners of Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd.

    we went by the very next day and found the place he will have his name plate because i recognized the spray of flowers from the funeral. go figure, it is in a back nook kind of thing one walk over from Dean Martin. It's new so maybe that's why there is no one else there. Looks like there will be room for 20 more folks and they will slide in the wall sideways, not forward like Marilyn.

    Hope this helps, sorry it's long. i have a picture because all the flowers were white. Roses, lilies and such but i don't know how to post it on here. Also as a side note, i noticed a guy i think from FAG there looking also.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA.
    Posts
    157
    That was a temp crypt and now he's in a bench estate with a new marker.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=20909851

    Kim
    Last edited by kdeazell; 03-03-2008 at 06:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hell, Death Valley California
    Posts
    579
    thanks so much! i hope to go either Christmas Day or the day after. The whole family wants to go to Vegas this year and i don't.
    I will look this up next time we are down and thanks again!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.
    It was actually quite funny as I recall...

    "....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

    Now there is a sight I definitely would not want to see. Wrong on so many levels.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,584

    Thumbs up Merv Griffin

    I think the guy in question was "Denny Terrio" from "Dance Fever" here is a little snipet!
    Denny ("Deney") Terrio is a choreographer, former film actor and one-time host of the television musical variety series Dance Fever from 1979 to 1985. He sued Merv Griffin, the show's producer, for sexual harassment; the $11.3 million case was later dismissed by a judge.[1]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boonies, IL
    Posts
    174
    I got a chuckle out of this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    573
    There's an article about Merv's secret gay life in the February 11 issue of National Enquirer.

    Griffin's "close friend & personal psychic" John Cohan claims Merv was gay and he personally witnessed Griffin seduce River Phoenix after plying him with alcohol at a party around 1991. He said "Merv was instantly smitten with the younger man, having seen him in the film "My Own Private Idaho," in which River played a gay street hustler. "Merv said 'I want to meet him!' He was like an excited teenage boy."

    Cohan said: "Toward the middle of the evening, Merv comes over to me and says 'I'm going to take a drink to River.' I said: 'Well, go easy, he's a fragile young kid. Watch it with the liquor.' "As the evening wore on, Cohan claims he saw River and he said: 'Merv's giving me alot to drink. I shouldn't be drinking this much.' It was clear Merv was trying to get him drunk -- and he succeeded.

    "Merv came out from one of the rooms, and he was smiling and said "Mission accomplished!" Cohan asked Merv later "Why did you get him so drunk and do that?" Merv said "Oh he's just so adorable, I couldn't resist."

    The article also says Merv had affairs with Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, and Gardner McKay.

    It also says Merv's marriage to Julann Elizabeth Wright was a sham to cover up his sexuality. The 1991 lawsuit by Brent Plott is also mentioned.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,508
    Wasn't Eva Gabor also his companion/beard for many years ?? I wonder if she new of his proclativities ??


    What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

    ]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Wasn't Eva Gabor also his companion/beard for many years ?? I wonder if she new of his proclativities ??


    I'm sure she was very much aware and in Hollywood I think it was an open secret. I heard this is how Ryan Seacrest got his start.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    247
    River Phoenix?? Ewwww not a pleasant thought. I hope Merv didn't show him his g-string.

    The Ryan Seacrest rumors crack me up though. There has to be some explanation for Ryan's success. It's certainly not talent.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    611
    I never understood why Merv Griffin is noted as the "creator" of Jeopardy. The daytime version had been around from at least the mid-60's. I don't Merv had anything to do with it at that time.

    And even tho' he's "married with children," am I the only one who thinks that Merv and Alex Trebek had something going on?
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 02-27-2009 at 07:29 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,538
    Didn't Jerry Lewis say that Merv deserved to die because he didn't take care of himself?
    Johnny Carson 1925-2005.

    My blog about celebrity deaths, hospitalizations, failing health reports, etc.
    http://deathsandhospitalizations.tumblr.com/

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Didn't Jerry Lewis say that Merv deserved to die because he didn't take care of himself?
    I think he said that because he didn't seek treatment for his cancer, but with Jerry Lewis, you never know.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Merv Griffin was a great showman!
    I loved his shows in the 70's. I believe he invented THE TALK SHOW.
    He had so many great names on his show.
    The shows I loved were the "Theme Shows". I believe these shows led
    to the famous "talk shows" to come.

    One of the most memorable Merv Griffin shows was when actor
    Chad Everett pissed off Lily Tomlin. He said something like "I own
    my wife" or something similar.
    Lily Tomlin was so angry that she said "I'm leaving!" and got up
    and stormed off the show!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Killadelphia
    Posts
    739
    The college that i went to, their mascot is a Griffin and his name is MERV, super cheesy and if they knew what the real Merv was said to be up to in his personal life, Im sure this nice Catholic college would lose the name.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Upper East side of Hell
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    The National Enquier years ago interviewed a guy who claimed he had sex with Merv.
    It was actually quite funny as I recall...

    "....Merv was wearing a G-string but because of his rolls of fat I couldn't see it !!".

    What a visual this is

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    The college that i went to, their mascot is a Griffin and his name is MERV, super cheesy and if they knew what the real Merv was said to be up to in his personal life, Im sure this nice Catholic college would lose the name.
    Back in the 70's when Merv had his daily show. No one in the world
    would have believed what he was really like.
    He had a son too. He seemed so straight and conservative.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    In the late 80's or early 90's Merv built a huge mansion in I believe
    Rancho Mirage California.
    After the mansion was completed the lights were turned on throughout the
    Estate to test
    them. Somehow there was a short in the wiring and the entire
    home burned to the ground!

    How horrible.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I'm sure she was very much aware and in Hollywood I think it was an open secret. I heard this is how Ryan Seacrest got his start.


    I wonder how many stars made it due to satisfying a BIG SHOT
    sexually?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Merv Griffin was a great showman!
    I loved his shows in the 70's. I believe he invented THE TALK SHOW.
    He had so many great names on his show.
    The shows I loved were the "Theme Shows". I believe these shows led
    to the famous "talk shows" to come.

    One of the most memorable Merv Griffin shows was when actor
    Chad Everett pissed off Lily Tomlin. He said something like "I own
    my wife" or something similar.
    Lily Tomlin was so angry that she said "I'm leaving!" and got up
    and stormed off the show!
    Oh my God I remember that show! He was really being obnoxious and Lilly just finally had a enough and staked off.
    I always wondered what went south with Cad everetts career. He wasn't bad looking and he could complete a sentence but then he just disappeared after Medical C.enter . I always figured there was more to why he poofed and disappeared.
    A little more gay trivia, Tyne and Tim Daly's Dad James Daly, who played the Ceif of Staff on Medical Center was a gay man. He passed at 59 and left behind an impressive body of work from movies, TV and the stage and even some music as well.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Killadelphia
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Back in the 70's when Merv had his daily show. No one in the world
    would have believed what he was really like.
    He had a son too. He seemed so straight and conservative.
    I know but they just named the mascot back in 2005, a friend and myself got a bit of a laugh out of it when they picked that name.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    In their final years, Merv and Eva Gabor were frequent "dating partners" out and about.

    Oh, in case some of you didn't know: GAY GUYS DO SCREW WOMEN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!!


  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post

    Oh, in case some of you didn't know: GAY GUYS DO SCREW WOMEN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!!

    I have yet to meet one of them.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    In their final years, Merv and Eva Gabor were frequent "dating partners" out and about.

    Oh, in case some of you didn't know: GAY GUYS DO SCREW WOMEN EVERY NOW AND AGAIN!!!!

    My guess is they were very best friends who enjoyed each others company but also had an understanding of the situation.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    There's an article about Merv's secret gay life in the February 11 issue of National Enquirer.

    Griffin's "close friend & personal psychic" John Cohan claims Merv was gay and he personally witnessed Griffin seduce River Phoenix after plying him with alcohol at a party around 1991. He said "Merv was instantly smitten with the younger man, having seen him in the film "My Own Private Idaho," in which River played a gay street hustler. "Merv said 'I want to meet him!' He was like an excited teenage boy."

    Cohan said: "Toward the middle of the evening, Merv comes over to me and says 'I'm going to take a drink to River.' I said: 'Well, go easy, he's a fragile young kid. Watch it with the liquor.' "As the evening wore on, Cohan claims he saw River and he said: 'Merv's giving me alot to drink. I shouldn't be drinking this much.' It was clear Merv was trying to get him drunk -- and he succeeded.

    "Merv came out from one of the rooms, and he was smiling and said "Mission accomplished!" Cohan asked Merv later "Why did you get him so drunk and do that?" Merv said "Oh he's just so adorable, I couldn't resist."

    The article also says Merv had affairs with Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, and Gardner McKay.

    It also says Merv's marriage to Julann Elizabeth Wright was a sham to cover up his sexuality. The 1991 lawsuit by Brent Plott is also mentioned.
    Hi, I'm new here on FAD. Been lurking for a while and I just HAD to post a response. OMG! That is an awful story about River. The things people have to do in Hollywood behind the scenes is enough to make one go insane or develop a nasty habit (insert vice).

    SMDH.....

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    27,946
    Merv was gay? So fucking what. May I remind you that our dear Scott Michaels is gay; Ich, Dennis, Jop, Jackolantern, and others are gay? I love them all and respect them and I don't care what their sexual orientations are.

    Merv seduced River Phoenix? So fucking what? No one would think much about it if Phoenix had been a female, would they?
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12




  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    108

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Merv was gay? So fucking what. May I remind you that our dear Scott Michaels is gay; Ich, Dennis, Jop, Jackolantern, and others are gay? I love them all and respect them and I don't care what their sexual orientations are.

    Merv seduced River Phoenix? So fucking what? No one would think much about it if Phoenix had been a female, would they?
    With all due respect, Merv didn't seduce River, he got him drunk and took advantage of him. I don't like predators, no matter what their sexual orientation is....

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Is the story true though?
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    27,946
    Quote Originally Posted by glamgirltx View Post
    With all due respect, Merv didn't seduce River, he got him drunk and took advantage of him. I don't like predators, no matter what their sexual orientation is....
    Granted.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12




  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Is the story true though?
    We will never know because River is gone and so is Merv, BUT, to me I believe the story. This kinda fuckery goes on 24 hours a day and twice on Sunday in Hollywood...

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    I did not feel any sympathy upon hearing of Merv's death. His rep in LA was that of a business mogul, (property), but also of a seducer. Financially responsible without humanitarian accountability ... doesn't work for me.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    There's an article about Merv's secret gay life in the February 11 issue of National Enquirer.

    Griffin's "close friend & personal psychic" John Cohan claims Merv was gay and he personally witnessed Griffin seduce River Phoenix after plying him with alcohol at a party around 1991. He said "Merv was instantly smitten with the younger man, having seen him in the film "My Own Private Idaho," in which River played a gay street hustler. "Merv said 'I want to meet him!' He was like an excited teenage boy."

    Cohan said: "Toward the middle of the evening, Merv comes over to me and says 'I'm going to take a drink to River.' I said: 'Well, go easy, he's a fragile young kid. Watch it with the liquor.' "As the evening wore on, Cohan claims he saw River and he said: 'Merv's giving me alot to drink. I shouldn't be drinking this much.' It was clear Merv was trying to get him drunk -- and he succeeded.

    "Merv came out from one of the rooms, and he was smiling and said "Mission accomplished!" Cohan asked Merv later "Why did you get him so drunk and do that?" Merv said "Oh he's just so adorable, I couldn't resist."

    The article also says Merv had affairs with Marlon Brando, Rock Hudson, Montgomery Clift, and Gardner McKay.

    It also says Merv's marriage to Julann Elizabeth Wright was a sham to cover up his sexuality. The 1991 lawsuit by Brent Plott is also mentioned.
    I never knew or suspected at all. I thought he was a happy family man with kids. He seemed like a man's man to me. I guess he was.....in a different way.
    Seducing River Phoniex, that story just creeped me out. What a predator.
    Using your power, money and influence to take advantage of a young person is criminal and he should have been charged and thrown in jail. Damn.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,621
    How does anyone here know if River was seduced or taken advantage of? Who cares really Im sure River got buttfucked many times by many different guys while passsed out on heroin at parties.
    Suck it.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I wonder how many stars made it due to satisfying a BIG SHOT
    sexually?
    My guess, MOST.



  44. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    At The Killer Party Y'all DUH
    Posts
    1,599
    I remember an old episode of his show from the 80's when i was a child with the late Laura Branigan performing Self Control, and being interviewed by him. I will never forget that show. Two great performers of that time are now gone. R.I.P.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Oh my God I remember that show! He was really being obnoxious and Lilly just finally had a enough and staked off.
    I always wondered what went south with Cad everetts career. He wasn't bad looking and he could complete a sentence but then he just disappeared after Medical C.enter . I always figured there was more to why he poofed and disappeared.
    A little more gay trivia, Tyne and Tim Daly's Dad James Daly, who played the Ceif of Staff on Medical Center was a gay man. He passed at 59 and left behind an impressive body of work from movies, TV and the stage and even some music as well.
    So you remember that show! Good for you!
    Chad Everett was a big star in the 70's and appeared to have a wonderful
    marriage. But he was accused of fathering a child from a bit actress if I
    remember correctly. Chad was served with papers on one show and the
    server placed the papers on Chad's wife's lap! Anyway that episode was
    a huge mess for Chad Everett.
    And it seemed like his career went down hill after that.
    I also recall James Daly as being a gay actor.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by MDCMDC1980 View Post
    I remember an old episode of his show from the 80's when i was a child with the late Laura Branigan performing Self Control, and being interviewed by him. I will never forget that show. Two great performers of that time are now gone. R.I.P.
    I just loved Laura Branigan!
    Another loss that should not have happened like Natasha Richardson.
    If only either of them had gone to the hospital when they were ill.
    A lesson for all of us.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,447
    he had a lovely bunch of coconuts!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu06KK_Yzuc

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    he had a lovely bunch of coconuts!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu06KK_Yzuc

    Loved it! Thanks NewYorkDoll!

    Merv told a story that sticks to my head. One of his very first jobs was
    as a Bank Clerk. He wasn't there very long when he took aside an
    older clerk and asked him how long he had been working at his job.
    The older clerk said something like 35 years.
    Merv said that he just gathered up his personal belongings and left
    the job.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15,117
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    he had a lovely bunch of coconuts!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu06KK_Yzuc

  50. #50
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    591

    Rest In Peace

    I loved his talk show.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •