Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10171819

Thread: Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island 2

Quote Originally Posted by CambieAlene View Post
    Hi gang,

Apparently I am late to the party...
    Great first post Cambie! Thanks for the encouraging words about our forum. I agree with you that this group is unlike any other forum I know of. I think the caring, dignity and respect we show the victims and survivors comes through in our posts.

To address a couple of your questions, I agree with you that I don't know if there was a slope to the front entryway, but it couldn't have been much. Obviously the far bigger problem was the flow of people that quickly increased, and eventually someone tripped and started the pileup in the front door. One worrying sign in the Butler video was that at least two people in his view stopped in the inner hallway by the walls, looking back to find people they knew but blocking the flow of people out. This could have easily led to the pileup starting.

Another question you had was the ID of the only body found near the stage. I believe some speculation we made earlier was that it was Ty Longley. We maybe thought it could be him because he might have tried to go retrieve his guitar. But we're not sure. I wish the ME's office did a better job with IDs on site.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Ty Longley was found near one of the windows that he had been helping people out of

I also think the lone person near the stage was Jeff Rader

Welcome, Cambie. The pile-up in the doorway is not a scenario unique to the Station. I had been studying other fires even before The Station tragedy, such as the Iroquois Theater fire in Chicago in 1903. ~600 killed. Bodies were found stacked in doorways. It's the bottleneck effect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Ty Longley was found near one of the windows that he had been helping people out of

I also think the lone person near the stage was Jeff Rader
    Dude, you are correct that the body by the stage could have been Jeff Rader too. Actually three known victims last seen in that area are 1) Ty Longley, 2) Jeff Rader, 3) Matthew Pickett. And as I'll describe below, there is a fourth possible person as well.

I think the first question to ask is who would have had a reason to walk *toward* the flames at that point? A very good question.

I should have reviewed Bill Long's witness statement before my post about Ty Longley the other day, my apologies. Bill was the last person to see Ty alive. He says Ty already had his guitar with him as he watched Bill try unsuccessfully to kick out the plastic windows in the atrium. So Ty didn't go back to the stage to get his guitar in his final moments. However he could have thought of something else in his gear on stage to grab to try to break the windows. If so it was brave of him to go toward the flames then.

Jeff Rader, as shown in the infamous last picture taken inside the club, looks very calm as he stands on the dance floor, probably the closest person to the stage at that point. One can imagine him turning and casually looking at the flames as if looking at a fireplace, maybe even approaching closer before being overwhelmed by smoke. However he was also looking for his girlfriend Becky Shaw, so that makes it less likely he stayed in that area.

Finally we know that Matthew Pickett fell near this area. But we don't have good information on exactly where he was. We know he was near where the Rader photo was taken in his last moments. It was taken by his friend Joe Cristina as Matthew stood next to him, right after he said "Joe, Joe, take a picture!" as captured by his still unreleased audio tape. He had no reason to move closer to the stage at that point, but it's possible he got disoriented and walked closer to the flames before falling, unconscious in the smoke.

I will note that for a while it was thought Matthew wore the striped sweater seen at the edge of the photo. But it's been established pretty conclusively that Matthew wore his leather "taper jacket". Therefore an unknown fourth person, wearing that sweater, was in that area when the photo was taken.

So unless we get better information from the ME's office, since apparently not all but *some* bodies were tagged on site, whose body was found on the dance floor near the stage will remain one of the many mysteries about that night.

Quote Originally Posted by CambieAlene View Post
    Hi gang,

Apparently I am late to the party... I had heard of the events as they unfolded in 2003, but didn't really absorb all of the (frankly) ridiculous circumstances that combined to make this tragedy come to reality. In fact, I hadn't given it much thought until this February 20th, when I had suffered my own personal loss. Maybe that's why I am now completely obsessed, and feel so much empathy for survivor and victim alike. In the span of about a month, I have seen all videos, interviews, etc, on YouTube. One of the comments posted a link to the Google drive, so I have read all of the grand jury statements, witness statements, and pored over all the videos and photos. Bought and read both Killer Show and From the Ashes. Then I found you all... two sleepless days later, I am caught up on both strings...

Long story short, here are some lingering impressions that you seem to corroborate, and questions I'm hoping you can resolve:
    1) Dan Biechele was a scapegoat, and although he was responsible for lighting the fuse, he alone wasn't what brought the place to the ground in less than an hour. The Derdarians got off easy, not only for their completely unethical and ghastly business practices, but for their criminal negligence in all aspects of running that club. It's a wonder that a careless cigarette from a bar patron didn't set off the West wall much sooner. And don't even get me started on my thoughts of the fire marshal and Scott Vieira. He is beyond a prick.

2) Only in Killer Show did I see anything mentioned about the slope in the entryway to the front doors. Surely as people started to panic as the smoke and heat got closer, that small grade could have tripped someone and set off the chain events from there? Or is that more misinformation from an otherwise terrific book? And did anyone else catch that he accidentally misnamed Fred Crisostomi as "Albert" in Chapter 23 and in the Index?

3) There has been much discussion about Brian Butler and the removal of the table from the entry. Here is where I am confused... according to BB, he had the camera facing behind him as he exited to the ticket counter, so we can't see where said table was removed. And it is noted that he is one of the last to get out the front before the pile up. But... in other statements, a table was used to prop the door for people still trying to get out and was then removed out of the pathway. Is my chronology wrong, or is it the same table? Logically wouldn't BB drag the table completely out of the way, and wouldn't we have noticed that either in the remaining film outside or in the delay it would take to move the table in his time getting out?

4) According to the chart of where victims were found, only 1 was in front of the stage on the dance floor. Were you all able to figure out who that was? I may have missed where that might have been stated.

Lastly, I just want to say that I am not one to join forums or chat groups or comment on anything I typically watch online. I am a lurker in the full sense of the word. But after reading these posts, I know that I am in the right place and know I'm among brethren. It is obvious that every single person to have ever posted here is doing it for the right reasons, and the respect and honor for all those affected in any small way by the fire is paramount. I applaud you all for your restraint in making sure that this stays classy and preserves the sanctity of the victims' memories. They live on, all these years later, because of people like you. Keep up the great work, and please don't let this string die out. It is too important, and new people (like me) stumble into this "obsession" with learning the truths about what happened all the time.
    Excellent post!!! I agree with all you said 1000%

I recently started listening to a radio show called 'Behind the Paranormal' by Paul and Ben Eno. Going back through the first couple of shows, I started listening to this one from June 15th, 2008. It is an interview with Dave Kane, father of Nicky Kane, the youngest person killed in the Station fire. In the interview, he talks about alot of coincidences around the number 41 that began occurring before and after Nicky's death, as well as some paranormal occurrences he attributes to Nicky.

http://www.behindtheparanormal.com/p...Paranormal.mp3

Hello, everyone! Popping in to say that the dedication of the Station Fire Memorial will be held tomorrow. I know we'll all be there in spirit. I believe it will be carried live. I know I'll be looking for it!!
    Peace,
    Mary

I haven't been here in ages. I was more active in the last thread.

They had the dedication today. It came out absolutely beautiful.

http://wpri.com/2017/05/19/virtual-t...memorial-park/

The dedication was very moving. The memorial park is beautiful and I'd love to see it in person one day.

I am so glad this is finally there. The pictures are beautiful and I will have to get over soon. My brother and sister-in-law went today and said it was impressivw with a feeling that went with it.
    In one of the pictures Gina is wearing a Station t-shirt. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    In one of the pictures Gina is wearing a Station t-shirt. Does anyone know where I can get one?
    The memorial foundation website sold them for many years. I just checked, and all they have left are baseball caps and jewellery.

I watched several park-opening videos on youtube. Nice! It should look great in a few years when the plants grow. I hope they replace the astroturf with REAL turf. There was an egregious error on the timeline wall at the park. It said only 355 people were inside when the fire began!!! The AG's documents proved 458, and those were only the people who were officially outed.

It looks amazing and I am glad they got it done.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentLady View Post
    The memorial foundation website sold them for many years. I just checked, and all they have left are baseball caps and jewellery.

I watched several park-opening videos on youtube. Nice! It should look great in a few years when the plants grow. I hope they replace the astroturf with REAL turf. There was an egregious error on the timeline wall at the park. It said only 355 people were inside when the fire began!!! The AG's documents proved 458, and those were only the people who were officially outed.
    Thanks RodentLady.
    I thought maybe they were a new batch and was hoping to get one. Anyway who is going to maintain the memorial site. Is that why they did astro turf so they do not have to worry about the lawn? There will still be maintainance to keep it nice.
    I am glad it is done and such a shame it took so long.

I watched some of the dedication video, it was very nice. And the memorial itself looks beautiful. So glad it's there to bring peace and comfort to those paying their respects for years to come. May the victims never be forgotten.

I managed to find about 95% of the park dedication on youtube. I can't find the ending with the reading of names. Here is the best coverage.

2 minute overview of the ceremony:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2tXKvEvqGQ

The full programme of speakers, over 40 minutes long (they start around 1:45)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFsm8b8jNs
    I am surprised that the house in the background does not have a privacy fence. I
    don't know who lives there now. It was Barry Warner's house, the neighbour who
    sold the foam.

Songs:

NINETY SEVEN ANGELS (Warning! Very weepy! Bring tissues!!!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTiG99lcgU
    "There's a point in time when tears return to laughter," Joe Silva states. He is
    right. It is months or years after a loved one is brutally killed, not a few
    DAYS later as the fake tragedies often show.

THERE'S A HERO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us09k8Q6Jb0
    Sick and inappropriate for Billy Gilman to sing, "There's a fire inside of
    everybody, burning clear and bright." I have come to expect nothing better from celebrities. However, I have to admit that his video
    has a lot of excellent still photos from the day.

I've sent an e-mail to the foundation regarding the timeline error since I saw no mention of it on their website or facebook page.

OK so I just managed to read all 19 pages of this thread and last year I read all of the pages of the former thread. My question is about the prick formerly known as Scott V. I read somewhere he was at a survivor's meeting and smirking and grinning about having turned several people away to their fiery dooms. Is this true?

I'm bumping this because you'll never guess the coincidence. When I went to Six Flags earlier today with my parents, my mother's friend Cheryl came along with her daughter Casey and her girlfriend Crystle. I was interested when my mother told me that her mother had died in the Station Nightclub fire but I wasn't going to go forward and ask her about it on a trip to Six Flags and I was afraid of what she might say and I didn't want to re-open any old wounds. She had a tattoo of her mother on her leg which I caught a glimpse of. I just decided to do a bit of research on it and I found out not only who her mother was, but who her father was as well.

And boy do I feel like a douchebag for calling him a prick in my first post. The tattoo on her leg matches up PERFECTLY to Kelly Vieira. So not only was my hope that she didn't suffer dashed because I knew what happened to her, but her FATHER may have been responsible for the other deaths if the stories about Scott Vieira are true. Her name is Crystle VIEIRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazee-Dayzee View Post
    I'm bumping this because you'll never guess the coincidence. When I went to Six Flags earlier today with my parents, my mother's friend Cheryl came along with her daughter Casey and her girlfriend Crystle. I was interested when my mother told me that her mother had died in the Station Nightclub fire but I wasn't going to go forward and ask her about it on a trip to Six Flags and I was afraid of what she might say and I didn't want to re-open any old wounds. She had a tattoo of her mother on her leg which I caught a glimpse of. I just decided to do a bit of research on it and I found out not only who her mother was, but who her father was as well.

And boy do I feel like a douchebag for calling him a prick in my first post. The tattoo on her leg matches up PERFECTLY to Kelly Vieira. So not only was my hope that she didn't suffer dashed because I knew what happened to her, but her FATHER may have been responsible for the other deaths if the stories about Scott Vieira are true. Her name is Crystle VIEIRA.
    Wow, that's a crazy coincidence.

Which is why it is important for me to find out if the Scott Vieira stories about survivor's meeting where he was proud of himself when he said he turned several people away, including Gina Gauvin is true or not.

Hi Everyone. Geez, it has been a while again. I guess I get so busy that I do not get to come on as much as i used to. A few weeks ago my wife and I went to NYC (We are from NH). On our way back we stopped to see the memorial. They really did a great job and it was emotional being there. I personally got emotional. I have been following this since day one and to be there on what i consider sacred ground was special. I took some video of the memorial and posted it on You Tube. I'd like to share it all with you. My wife and i walked through slowly to take everything in. I then went back to shoot the video. I am by no means a professional so please forgive the shaky camera work and not so good shots. I tried to get as much as i could in. It is shot with an HD camcorder so if you aren't already set to watch in HD just click the little cog wheel and select quality 720P. I hope you like it... Main video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYLT05lCXQ Second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Jz263pf28

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAJU_ZKhEM

This is actually footage of the Collectiv nightclub fire. I posted it here because of the similarities and to somehow (although apprehensively) show conditions inside the Station. Please take a look if you cwn stomach it and let me know your views.

Skip to 0:37 seconds and watch from there. I didnt understwnd,the language but the visuals definitely tell the story.
    That isn't the video of any nightclub fire. It just leads to a song.

Which is why it is important for me to find out if the Scott Vieira stories about survivor's meeting where he was proud of himself when he said he turned several people away, including Gina Gauvin is true or not.
    From Chapter 12 of Killer Show:

One year after the fire, [Gina Russo] unexpectedly came face to face with [Scott Vieira] at a function for Station Fire families. Her reaction was so immediate, and visceral, that she flinched and lost her balance, falling back into a nearby chair. All she could say was "Oh my God, it's you!" He responded, smirking, "Yeah."

Only I would end up meeting the daughter of the man who may have caused more deaths. I really hope that Crystal doesn't come on here. A week ago I didn't even know her. Now my heart hurts for her because of how her mother died and how her father acted. I doubt I'll see her again as she was the girlfriend of my mother's friend's daughter, but this is very unnerving.

Believe it or not we have to FORGIVE Scott Vieira for his actions that night.

There is a wonderful book and movie called "The Shack".

It is a must read/see to understand more about life.

I investigate fires and aircraft accidents.

I understand the frustration.

We shouldn't be so quick to cast stones.

We don't have to LIKE the guy but we do need to FORGIVE him.

Nope we don't have to forgive him, what he did was horrible, knowing there was a fire and still being an ass about letting people out of that one door. Gina wouldn't have lost Fred that night if Scott the Prick would have let them out, and other people would be alive as well.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~

I've listened (professionally) to probably 200 cockpit voice recorders of aircraft that end up crashing.

Mistakes are made.

Many times as the accident is progressing the pilots revert to "muscle memory" and do things that have been ingrained even though that "muscle memory" ends up killing 1-500 people.

The pilots (who survive) I talk with after a crash sometimes are amazed at their own reactions and decisions during the time of extreme stress.

"There but for the Grace of God go I" is a common mantra amongst most pilots.

Maybe many of us here have been in a catastrophe where without proper training the vision tunnels on you... your mind goes numb.

It takes training and the ability when your airplane is falling apart around you to stop for 2-3 seconds before reacting and assess exactly what is going on.

Without training the mind reverts to what it knows.

In this case it was "only the band can go out this door".

It's sad but Scott was an untrained person thrust into a split-second life and death decision.

He made the wrong choice. As many of us are capable of doing.

After seeing my fair share of shredded airplanes and horror you can only imagine I realize that we are human.

We make mistakes.

I know what I write goes against the popular voice of this forum but I know of what I speak.

The phone rings and I head off to investigate more destruction.

He knew there was a fire, it doesn't matter if he was untrained or going on old habits, but no one standing in a burning building, while people are trying to get out , even telling him there was a fire, would allow them to pass, the ego and power went to his head, he showed no remorse or guilt when he was told his wife was dead, and when Gina saw him he just smirked at her, and when she said it's you, he said yes it's me, and smirked at her again. This has nothing to do with a plane crash, in the air all you can do is kiss your ass goodbye and hope for the best, on the ground, mere feet from a door that if the asshole had allowed people out of, he could have saved lives, but no he chose, yes chose to block their way and not let them out, HE KNEW THERE WAS A FIRE, HE KNEW HE WAS BLOCKING THE WAY, He should have been brought up on charges.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 08-01-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Most people don't realize that while there's a fire, it's a dire situation. Oxygen is being consumed while toxins are being released.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Frank Drebin View Post
    Most people don't realize that while there's a fire, it's a dire situation. Oxygen is being consumed while toxins are being released.
    He was told there was a fire, by several people

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    He was told there was a fire, by several people

It doesn't matter.

However I can see you're not understanding what I was trying to say.

No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    HE KNEW THERE WAS A FIRE, HE KNEW HE WAS BLOCKING THE WAY, He should have been brought up on charges.

People are never charged under these circumstances for the very reasons I tried to explain.

The next time you are faced with a horrific situation you'll understand tunnel vision and a loss of situational awareness.

Again it takes training to step back and make the right decisions.

I understand what you are saying, but any normal person, no matter what would say yeah go out this door to get out to safety, I have been in a situation to where I had to think fast, again if you were standing there as the bouncer and the boss said to you don't let people out the band door, and then suddenly there is a fire, and people are coming to you begging to be let out saying there is a fire we need to get out, would you tell them sorry band only, can't go out that way, or would you say, go go get out, and then yell for more people to get out? I believe you would, however, he did not, you don't need training to have common sense and compassion. By the way, Rail, your last two post you will need to combine those together, they have to be thirty mins apart, according to the forum rules, just thought I would give you a heads up before a mod gives you a warning.

I've said my piece I'll go back to lurking.

Take care everyone.

No need to lurk, I respect what you are saying you are entitled to your opinion and thoughts just like everyone else is, we are free to discuss and argue to a point, so lets agree to disagree.

Didn't Scott say anything else? I could have sworn in the previous topic somebody who survived had him laughing and joking saying he didn't let them go out the door.

Didn't Scott say anything else? I could have sworn in the previous topic somebody who survived had him laughing and joking saying he didn't let them go out the door.
    You are correct, he did say that, I think Gina overheard him at the hospital talking to someone, or at the memorial, not the recent one, he was laughing and he said well he followed rules, he didn't let them out the door, he wasn't even broken up when he was told his wife died, and when Gina confronted him, he smirked at her and kind of laughed and said Yep It's Me.

I wish there was a sticky for all the links/pictures that have been posted i haven’t been able to locate a clear version of the butler video but while researching fires i found a brief fairly clear clip of the door area
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMzD-Sk4Fk
    its in the middle of the video

I was able to visit the memorial today. It was every bit emotional as you would think but so beautifully peaceful too. This is an incredible effort done well. While we were there people never stopped coming I am glad this place exists for anyone who needs it. Grateful to have been able to do this.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Chicago, Glad you were able to go, I hope I can go one of these days.

That isn't the video of any nightclub fire. It just leads to a song.
    My apologies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMzD-Sk4Fk

Quote Originally Posted by bustakita View Post
    Thanks bustakita. This is a link about the Colectiv nightclub fire in Romania in 2015. 2015! 12 years after the Station Fire, and similar tragedies still take place. 64 people died. It makes me sick to see history repeating itself over and over.

Here is a link to a 45 minute Discovery Channel documentary on the Colectiv fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBDqjdeylA It happened in almost exactly the same way.. pyrotechnics set soundproofing foam on fire, which spread to the ceiling. They do a reconstruction of the fire for the documentary, but they also briefly show a cellphone video from a survivor inside the club, showing the burning embers, melting foam and sparks dropping down from the ceiling above. I'm sure it was a lot like it looked inside the Station.

Hello Station Thread!

Whew, that was a long read--I just finished each and every page of both threads. I read the first one twice, once before photobucket decided to eliminate so many of the pics (glad I saved 'em).

I don't have any amazing new facts to contribute, but I wanted to say a huge thank you to all who have put in so much time and effort into researching this event, you've done a tremendous job. I believe this event is timeless--it's effects are still felt strongly by many, 14 years later. If I come up with something useful while researching and watching the videos (a huge, huge thank you to dionyzus for getting all of that information onto the drive!!!), I will not hesitate to share it.

Wishing you all well,
    J.

Hi folks.
    I've read both threads and have a question that I don't recall seeing any answers to (forgive me if I overlooked something) regarding the "Where's my husband?!" lady. Could she have been panicking in the doorway, perhaps even attempting to walk back in to search for him, and have been one of the first, or THE first, to fall?

Some people mentioned that there was "nothing out there that could have caused screaming like that" or something along those lines. I disagree--falling and having someone fall on her could have caused that.

That, or she was screaming because she watched the pile-up develop and was in a state of sheer terror. All I know is, if you time it, her screams are right about when the pile-up would have started.

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Thanks bustakita. This is a link about the Colectiv nightclub fire in Romania in 2015. 2015! 12 years after the Station Fire, and similar tragedies still take place. 64 people died. It makes me sick to see history repeating itself over and over.

Here is a link to a 45 minute Discovery Channel documentary on the Colectiv fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBDqjdeylA It happened in almost exactly the same way.. pyrotechnics set soundproofing foam on fire, which spread to the ceiling. They do a reconstruction of the fire for the documentary, but they also briefly show a cellphone video from a survivor inside the club, showing the burning embers, melting foam and sparks dropping down from the ceiling above. I'm sure it was a lot like it looked inside the Station.
    thanks. Have you also seen the Santika night club fire video? horrifying. And sadly the Collectiv did happen in 2015...you would think decades later lessons would have been learned by now.