Thread: Philando Castile Shooting - Falcon Heights, Minnesota

Philando Castile Shooting - Falcon Heights, Minnesota

this shows the aftermath - the girlfriend does a play by play - GRAPHIC

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/fal...ing-minnesota/

Wow. I saw this video this morning. Very upsetting. The girlfriend kept her cool and I'm not sure how she was able to to that.

The cops are totally out of control in this country. Just a couple of weeks ago near where I live a retired Air Force vet was shot to death in his own garage by cops responding to a 911 call who went to the wrong house. The vet's dogs started going crazy when the cops entered his yard. He thought they were home invaders (actually they were!), went to investigate and they shot him dead. They also lied that he "made a threatening move" but that was bullshit. They say that every time they screw up and murder an innocent civilian.

Castile had been convicted 31 times for mostly traffic violations

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...near-home.html

Traffic violations don't warrant being shot dead maybe he should have notified the officer that he was carrying a piece put his hands up and told him where it was located at.

If anything the cop was in the wrong for fudging up the commands he should have secured the piece before asking for license and CCW.

I learned decades ago to put my hands on the dash when pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by StudioJoe View Post
    The cops are totally out of control in this country. Just a couple of weeks ago near where I live a retired Air Force vet was shot to death in his own garage by cops responding to a 911 call who went to the wrong house. The vet's dogs started going crazy when the cops entered his yard. He thought they were home invaders (actually they were!), went to investigate and they shot him dead. They also lied that he "made a threatening move" but that was bullshit. They say that every time they screw up and murder an innocent civilian.
    I know it's unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    I learned decades ago to put my hands on the dash when pulled over.
    Me too. My ex mother in law was a cop. I've only been pulled over a couple of times but I keep my hands on the steering wheel until the cop asks for my I.D and I'm polite.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Traffic violations don't warrant being shot dead maybe he should have notified the officer that he was carrying a piece put his hands up and told him where it was located at.
    This ^^^
    I've never been ashamed to be a white American and I have ZERO guilt and no pussy liberal is going to make me feel I should.
    --McCourt

I think there needs to be a new set of nationwide police procedures when pulling people over, I've also said before Cops need mandated body cameras that they can't turn off for if you have to shoot you will have the evidence that would validate your claims and you are not being strung up as a racist white cop.

Horrible, the officer probably heard I got a gun, and just panicked.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer. #METOO

It seems as though once you become a police officer in the US, you've got licence to do whatever you want.

I've often wondered if it's a magnet for power hungry people who want to play God and get a thrill from being able to decide who lives or dies,

Probably quite an extreme way of looking at it, but this kind of thing just doesn't happen here in the UK.

It seems to happen every week over there. I think your gun culture is too far gone to ever really be addressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cop has been charged with 2nd degree manslaughter

http://nypost.com/2016/11/16/cop-cha...lando-castile/

This is a tough one, and I have a funny feeling the officer will be acquitted. It's tragic, but if you are licensed to carry a firearm, your hands should remain visible at all times if stopped by authorities. I would think they would teach you that when you take the course to get your carry and conceal license, if not they should. He announced to the officer he had a weapon and was licensed to carry, and THEN reached back to get his ID, you have to know any lawyer worth his weight is going to successfully argue that the officer heard "weapon" and immediately feared for his life. We also haven't seen what took place just before the shooting, did the officer instruct him to keep his hands where he could see them and the man ignored him? (I kind of doubt that, since he was in fact indicted) Maybe he didn't hear him as it happened so fast? At any rate, it's horrible that this young man lost his life. Owning a gun carries a lot of responsibility, and that is not something I would want personally.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I'm not sure he will be acquitted. The local news showed the press conference regarding the charges, sounds like what they see on the police video (body cam? cruiser cam?) is that the officer fucked up. They stated Philando's last words were I wasn't going for it. Chilling.

They say he was pulled over because he matched the description of a robbery suspect. BUT he was calm and respectful and told the officer he had a gun - a robbery suspect would have fled, or probably would not have been calm and certainly would not have volunteered the information regarding carrying a gun.

7 shots! Execution.

Side note: looking at the local news station website: FFS do you not type out the damn news anymore - I want to READ not watch the video!!! Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by ktkatinmn View Post
    I'm not sure he will be acquitted. The local news showed the press conference regarding the charges, sounds like what they see on the police video (body cam? cruiser cam?) is that the officer fucked up. They stated Philando's last words were I wasn't going for it. Chilling.

They say he was pulled over because he matched the description of a robbery suspect. BUT he was calm and respectful and told the officer he had a gun - a robbery suspect would have fled, or probably would not have been calm and certainly would not have volunteered the information regarding carrying a gun.

7 shots! Execution.

Side note: looking at the local news station website: FFS do you not type out the damn news anymore - I want to READ not watch the video!!! Sheesh!
    I hope you're right, I didn't realize that he fired 7 shots, THAT is definitely overkill, and may very well be what does him in.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

the cop has been found NOT GUILTY - juries just won't convict cop

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...cer-not-guilty
    Last edited by cash; 06-16-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Good

This decision will be very popular with racists. Not with anybody else, but yeah, the racists will be having a little party tonight.

It's terrible, but it's not surprising. It's America.
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

Tell someone to kill themselves and you are convicted. Panic and shoot someone and you get a free pass.

The police dash cam video has been released - the cop pulls Castile over because of break light - Castile tells the cop that he has a weapon - the cop tells him not to pull it out and starts shooting Castile up close and personal. All the action starts at 1:30. The cop was acquitted but has been fired. This seems like murder to me

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/06/2...lando-castile/
    Last edited by cash; 06-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.

the family settles for $3 million

http://nypost.com/2017/06/26/philand...-in-his-death/

One point that I think is overlooked in this forum on this shooting, but could have a great influence with the jury is that the officer was looking for a robbery suspect, and unfortunately Mr Castile matched the description of the suspect. Obviously this put the officer on high alert, and after the stop when Mr Castile informed him he had a weapon, THEN started reaching for his ID undoubtedly elevated the officer's panic. I can see where a jurist, knowing that a police officer has less than a split second to make a decision would side with the officer.
    --William Shakespeare!

Yeah, but police officers are supposed to have good judgement. He didn't.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    This! While it's true that cops have to make split second decisions, they know that going in, and nobody is forced to become a police officer. If you don't want to be held accountable for the results of the split second decisions you make as an officer, choose another line of work.

Also, is there any evidence - other than the word of the shooter - that Castile was reaching for ANYTHING?
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    One point that I think is overlooked in this forum on this shooting, but could have a great influence with the jury is that the officer was looking for a robbery suspect, and unfortunately Mr Castile matched the description of the suspect. Obviously this put the officer on high alert, and after the stop when Mr Castile informed him he had a weapon, THEN started reaching for his ID undoubtedly elevated the officer's panic. I can see where a jurist, knowing that a police officer has less than a split second to make a decision would side with the officer.
    He matched the description because he had a "wide based nose". So does nearly every black man. It was a fucking excuse to pull him over. Nothing more.

I'm so sick and tired of this "I was in fear for my life" garbage. I work as a process server, five nights a week, for ten years now walking up to people's homes and delivering their evictions, foreclosures, subpoenas, child support, divorce papers, restraining orders, lawsuits, etc etc. I have had guns pointed directly at my face, the first time being when I was 20 years old and had been doing the job for three months. I've been pushed off of stairs, had people put their hands on me, physically try to pull me down their driveway, had people chase me to my car, jump ON my car, and I'm a woman, so my experiences are TAME compared to my coworkers. One of my coworkers was actually shot, one had his windshield blown out by a shotgun, one was KICKED down a set of front steps. But never once did the thought 'I wish I had a gun so I could pull it out and blow this person away' cross my mind.

And while I DO understand that as a process server instead of a police officer, my duty is to leave the situation and theirs is to confront it, my point is that in each and every situation, it's composure first, panic when it's over. Not HOLY SHIT PANIC UNLOAD CLIP PLANT TASER LATER, "I was in fear for my life so it's okay". The officer in this case told Castile to get his ID, and he was doing so. The mere mention of a gun, game over. There are absolutely cases that have cropped up in the news where I side with the cop, but more and more we're seeing officers who have no business being ARMED, let alone being armed and carrying a badge. People who panic so easily and lose their ability to think, period, have no business being police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I think most of us wish the jury had seen it that way. We had another cop shooting a 15 year old in a car that was driving away in the Dallas area. Cop stated that the car was coming at him in an aggressive manner, video proved otherwise, and he has been indicted. I hope this one gets his due justice.
    --William Shakespeare!

I agree that bodycams should be mandatory and they made a huge deal about them after the Castile shooting and the Jamar Clark shooting and these officers in the Justine Damond case still didn't have theirs going. I don't know if they would have made a difference there though, or if they would have shown much. I was kind of surprised that they found the officer not guilty. It will be interesting to see what happens with officer Noor. The problem is if they do convict him it's going to start a whole new issue where people are going to say he was only convicted because she was white. To me the difference between her case and Castile was that Castile was pulled over as a possible suspect and Damond was the reporting party, she was not a suspect in anything, and I think that will be key in the prosecution. I hate to see what happens if that officer is convicted though. It will definitely make the news. I didn't even hear that the officer in the Castile case had been acquitted until this case came up. I wish they could find an answer to this problem though. MN has some of the most highly trained officers in the country. In some states you can go to academy for 6 weeks and be a cop. Here you need a degree, which includes a year of skills training, followed by academy. I don't know how much more training they can do. I'm glad I'm not going to school to be a cop any more though, people are horrible to the cops now. We have an officer at work for security and people harass him all the time, I've seen black people just walk up to him and say "are you gonna shoot me? I'm black, don't shoot me man" when the cop didn't even look at them.

girlfriend gets $800,000 settlement

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/us/phi...ent/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    girlfriend gets $800,000 settlement

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/us/phi...ent/index.html
    I do not understand how someone can cost the taxpayers this kind of money and we do not hold them accountable.