Thread: Fruit Cake for Christmas

Fruit Cake for Christmas

Oh boy, I bet someone has some good Horror stories about the good ole fruit cake for Christmas?

I still wonder after all these years this stuff is still made or sold??

Does anyone out there like Fruitcake??

I always considered getting Fruit Cake the same as getting a lump of coal!!!

Actually I love fruit cake - as long as it's moist.

But unlike a few people on the boards here, I like just about any kind of food - I'm not picky.

I can't stand it...it's a huge thing in the UK and most people have fruit wedding cakes (ew.)

My dad is a HUGE fruit cake fan and will soak the stuff in so much booze that the whole bottom floor of their house smells of rum when you first walk in the door. He buys the cake from some Amish baker in Pennsylvania or something but I've started bringing him the British stuff...that starts out with booze in it already!

Anyway, he and my brother love the stuff, booze or not, but I've never known another American who would eat it. Brits, on the other hand, tend to put all sorts of fruit in all sorts of baked stuff, not just fruit cake. Ugh.

Getting back at my Friends.....

Generally, fruitcake is a mixture of fruits and nuts with just enough batter to hold them together. When wrapped in cloth and foil, saturated with alcoholic liquors regularly, and kept in in tightly closed tins, a fruitcake may be kept for months or even years.

Have It Your Way...
    If there are certain fruits you don't like, you can always include more of another, or some of your own favorites. Dried fruits cooked in juice can take the place of candied fruits, and seeds can replace nuts. To convert a favorite "dark" fruitcake recipe to a "light" fruitcake, leave out the dark spices, use light colored fruits (golden raisins, dried apricots, etc.), and replace dark corn syrup or molasses with light corn syrup.

Fruitcake-Making Tips
    To prevent overbrowning, line the bottom and sides of the pan with foil. If you leave extra foil overlapping the sides, it will be easier to remove the cake.

When baking, set the fruitcake pan in a baking pan (13x9-inch) half-filled with water to prevent burning around the edges.

Let fruitcake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

For long-term storage, bury the linen and foil wrapped fruitcake in a tin filled with powdered sugar.

Count me in. I love it. You haven't had fruit cake until you try mine.

I've never even tried it. I can just look at it & know I don't like it. I don't like liquor mixed with sweets, cakes, candy, etc. The only reason I drink liquor is to get a buzz, I don't enjoy the taste at all.

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE
    Rest in peace sweet baby Caylee. The world loves you and will see to it that you get the justice you deserve.

i like it too, as long as it's moist as aries stated.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

You can't beat a bit of traditional fruit Christmas cake, especially if it has some yummy cherrys in it, bit of marzipan on top and some icing. It should have some alcohol poured over the cake after it's baked (before icing) but you can't taste it.

My Granparents sold it every year for over 15 years. They had 100's of boxes stacked up the stairs. Everyone got some. I never tried it. Here is the pic.

I once had some excellent fruitcake. Once.
    Take care,
    Harry

YUCK!! That's a big NO WAY for me!! When mom was alive she loved it, have tried it before and can't stand the stuff!
    At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual."
    Patrick Moore.

If it is moist and home-made, I like it. It can be very good...or very, very bad. Wouldn't mind having your recipe, Onehunglow, if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

I can honestly say that I've never had a fruitcake in my life.

Guest Guest
    I hate fruitcake..... I get one every damn year.This year i plan on re wrapping it and send it back to the person who gave it to me, with a note saying Merry X-mas, I baked this for you.

TRUE STORY

I got one last year. My door wouldn't stay open so yes I used a fruitcake as a door stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I hate fruitcake..... I get one every damn year.This year i plan on re wrapping it and send it back to the person who gave it to me, with a note saying Merry X-mas, I baked this for you.

TRUE STORY

I got one last year. My door wouldn't stay open so yes I used a fruitcake as a door stopper.
    Much as I like a bit of Christmas case I must admit I wouldn't be the happiest of bunnies to get one for a present.

Alton Brown's recipe for it is amazingly good. It has dried cranberries and blueberries in it, all soaked in rum ahead of time, then you baste the beauty in brandy for a few weeks before serving. It resembles that hideous mail order stuff about as much as a fresh tuna steak resembles canned/tinned tuna. Rich, moist, the works, if you do it right.

Fruitcake is the root of all evil! lol..

I have tried many versions of it..and its good if its FRESH! But that
    is the problem..some of those things have been around for awhile.

I would much rather have Pumpkin Bread..Banana Nut..or just a Twinkie!

Iam a easy to please man!

lol..

-Mortwinkie!

Noooo thank you! I cant believe I am hanging out with a bunch of fruit cake lovers!
    “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

Home made fruit cake..........yum yum

I am not a fan at all of the fruit cake, especially the crap stuff with the peel in it as well. That makes me ill!

There is something extremely unappetizing about fruit cake for me. If I can't lift it with a regular fork, as opposed to a fork lift, then I'm not going to eat it. When I was little, however, we had one in our house every year during the Christmas season, so it conjures up some "warm family memories." I don't recall anyone ever eating it, though. I think it was just part of the Christmas decor. For all I know, it was several years old and mom just hauled it out every year with the tinsel and the lights, as part of her decorating routine.

I remember the Pee Wee's playhouse where he kept getting fruitcakes for Christmas, and used them to build an addition to his playhouse.

Urgh, fruit cake is reeeee-volt-iiiing. It really is the work of the Devil. It's like an English tradition, that you HAVE to have a fruit cake at christmas though. My mum buy's one every year, only god knows why, because no one even likes it, not even her. And you'd think she'd buy a nasty cheap one...but oh noo, she has to go to the baker's and have one made. I keep telling her there's starving kids in Africa that would benefit from that £40 she spent on cake thats not gonna get eaten [I'm such a caring soul as you can tell] but she still insists on buying one.

I've had mostly bad but some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post

TRUE STORY

So much for my Christmas present to you!!

Ahh fruitcake.
    I know everyone either loves it or makes fun it for being the gift that just won't go away every year for the holidays, but I just can't do it.
    It's not even about the "ew!" factor, because I'm not a picky person at all, it's just a bit too sweet and stuff for me. Plus it's not chocolate.

My dad is a buyer/merchandiser and always brings home things that may or may not make it to the store..A few weeks ago he brought home fruitcake in a can...I'm scared.
    “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” - Michael Jackson

I didn't know anyone ate fruitcake, I thought they just kept passing it around. That's probably why people don't like it, after 10 or 15 years of re-gifting it's probably a little dry.

Holiday Advice: You can't flush a fruitcake.

I like it, but then I am one.

I like fruit cake if it is moist... mince pies I could eat all year round. I've polished off several this year already.

Good one ! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I've had mostly bad but some good.

Usually they are given to me by people I dont know, old (now dead) relatives, siblings who I suspect dont like me (heres your present, FRUITCAKE!!! aint cha happy) or people at the job, which is why I never participate in the christmas exchange bullcrap. However, economic times being what they are, there will be a time when I will give a positive look at the thing, usually around hunger time. I have had genuinely good fruitcake but this is the exception and not the rule. So it must pass the test. Smell it, if it smells stale, it is. Count on it, now how hungry are you! Thats the test.

[SIZE=4]MULTI-COLORED FUNK[/SIZE]
    The only difference between a death hag and the rest of the world is that we don't DENY we're fascinated by death.... (Tebssis)

Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Usually they are given to me by people I dont know, old (now dead) relatives, siblings who I suspect dont like me (heres your present, FRUITCAKE!!! aint cha happy) or people at the job, which is why I never participate in the christmas exchange bullcrap. However, economic times being what they are, there will be a time when I will give a positive look at the thing, usually around hunger time. I have had genuinely good fruitcake but this is the exception and not the rule. So it must pass the test. Smell it, if it smells stale, it is. Count on it, now how hungry are you! Thats the test.
    I buy mine at a bakery for it is fresh everday

I don't like baked fruitcake, but I love Icebox Fruitcake, which is made with candied fruits, nuts, condensed milk and crushed graham crackers or vanilla wafers(I prefer vanilla wafers). No baking, but you have to keep it refrigerated. It's yummy.

well what the hell? I get all the way to page two before I realize this is NOT a thread about Dennis offering to visit us on Christmas? Led astray by an unclear thread title once again.

(sorrys all around. this was my first stop after the pissing contest thread, and our boy Dennis was making all kinds of generous offers.)