Page 1 of 15 12310 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 715

Thread: Jean Harlow

  1. #1

    Jean Harlow

    I'm a Harlow fan, her unexpected/strange death being a high point (or low point) of her life.....she's not listed at the main page of findadeath that I could find, but there is a page about her at the site if you type in her name on the search page.

    Anyway, for all you Harlow fans who want to see a few new tidbits, here's an interesting link to the Carpenter family (her father's side of the family)

    http://www.jeanharlow.info/carpenter2.html

    This link also has some great photos of the inside of the Forest Lawn, Glendale mausoleum where she's entombed . Today, apparently only family members with documentation of their family relationship can even get in to see her crypt. However, on an interesting personal trivia note, back in the 1970's I was able to get in to see her marble tomb at Forest Lawn, and even back then it was very difficult to get in. But they hadn't yet started asking for five generations of personal family connection just to get in there. Whew! Talk about control freaks! I had to almost beg the lady in charge to unlock the chained gate which allowed me to get in. She stood and watched like a hawk while I walked alone down the long marble corridor. Kinda creepy yet fun. I walked all the way down to the end of the marble corridor (very exciting!) and finally reached her tomb. The ceiling is made of stained glass stuff which allows a kind of heavenly light to shine through.

    Her crypt was at the very end of the hallway. I was amazed to see very lightly etched in the marble the words "Our Baby", which you can barely see. Very eerie yet beautiful. I didn't see any other names shown there, but her mother is also entombed with her. (her mother died in the 1950's)

    Anyway, it's too bad the public can no longer get in there. I don't know what Forest Lawn thinks we evil members of the public are gonna do - deface these grand tombs? Write grafitti? It's rather ridiculous but that's the way it is. I've never run into this elsewhere. After all, we the public made these stars rich and famous and I think we should at least be able to pay our respects if we want to. Obviously, family members of these powerful famous people have been able to request Forest Lawn to basically shut down that area for public access. Other "biggies" of the industry are in the same corridor: Irving Thalberg, Norma Shearer, etc. So, bottom line: I feel honored and lucky that I was able to see her crypt in person before it was removed from the public's eyes. If anybody else has stories related to this, please post! I'd like to know more............

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hole in the wall, ca.
    Posts
    333
    I am eternally jealous that you were able to see her crypt. I hgope one day the powers that be realize that she, like any other Hollywood star, belongs to the public, as that is who made them. It's a travesty that they won't allow anyone to view her grave. How lonley it must feel there.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

  3. #3
    Yes, I agree. It was great to be able to see her final resting place, and as we know, secondhand photos don't really give the full impression. I didn't take any photos while there, I was too intimidated and I may have even been told not to, I don't recall. The lady who let me in made me feel like I had to hurry up, so that was kind of stressful. I would think they could install security cameras to make sure nothing happens. I do understand their need for security around there, but it should be balanced with the public's interests too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    The story goes and I don't know if its true but Paul Bern caused her death? I guess on their honeymoon she found out Paul's penis was the size of a small childs and he could never get an erection. He begged her to work her "sexual magic" on him convinced if anyone could give him an erection she could.

    She was furious why he just didn't marry her for who she was and not some famous sex screen star!

    I guess Bern went into a drunken rage and beat her!! I guess the beating is what caused her to get sick?
    That is the stoy I have read anyway!!!

  5. #5
    Actually, the Paul Bern story is totally false and was made up by author Irving Shulman back in the 1960's to sell a ridiculous biography of Harlow. The best book out there today is "Platinum Girl" by Eve Golden which shoots holes in all these false stories and finally puts to rest a lot of the myths and lies. Harlow died of kidney failure, probably after contracting scarlet fever in her teen years. Her health had been failing for years but she didn't know it until it was too late. There is no evidence that he ever beat her. Bern most likely did not commit suicide by was murdered by his mentally unstable (i.e. crazy!) common law wife Dorothy Millette who went nuts when she found out Bern had married Harlow. She travelled from San Francisco where he had been paying for her to stay in a hotel for years and went to his home and confronted him and was seen fleeing by several witnesses. She then committed suicide by jumping off a Sacramento riverboat. The inquiry into Bern's death was a joke and a huge MGM studio cover up to protect Harlow's career, which it did. As for his under-sized penis, apparently he did have a small one, but various women said that he had been capable of intercourse, although he was more like a "friend" to many of the women he knew. What the actual sex life between Bern and Harlow was, no one will ever know, but she apparently liked the fact that he "loved her for her" rather than her sex goddess image. Ah, Hollywood, ya gotta luv it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Actually, the Paul Bern story is totally false and was made up by author Irving Shulman back in the 1960's to sell a ridiculous biography of Harlow. The best book out there today is "Platinum Girl" by Eve Golden which shoots holes in all these false stories and finally puts to rest a lot of the myths and lies. Harlow died of kidney failure, probably after contracting scarlet fever in her teen years. Her health had been failing for years but she didn't know it until it was too late. There is no evidence that he ever beat her. Bern most likely did not commit suicide by was murdered by his mentally unstable (i.e. crazy!) common law wife Dorothy Millette who went nuts when she found out Bern had married Harlow. She travelled from San Francisco where he had been paying for her to stay in a hotel for years and went to his home and confronted him and was seen fleeing by several witnesses. She then committed suicide by jumping off a Sacramento riverboat. The inquiry into Bern's death was a joke and a huge MGM studio cover up to protect Harlow's career, which it did. As for his under-sized penis, apparently he did have a small one, but various women said that he had been capable of intercourse, although he was more like a "friend" to many of the women he knew. What the actual sex life between Bern and Harlow was, no one will ever know, but she apparently liked the fact that he "loved her for her" rather than her sex goddess image. Ah, Hollywood, ya gotta luv it!
    I got this from an old book I got years ago "Hollywoods greatest myseries by John Austin." I seem to find out more its really just written as more hype. Alot of stuff in it is turning out to not be true!!

    Thanks for the clarification!!

  7. #7
    Up until the publication of Platinum Girl and one other good book about Harlow, I think most people believed the earlier things written, myself included. At the time of the publication of Shulman's book, several people who closely knew Jean Harlow were outraged and threatened to sue him. Harlow's own father, Montclair Carpenter, also threatened suit because it defamed his daughter. So naturally, as is usually the case, Hollywood decided to make a movie based on this ridiculous bunch of lies. It starred Carol Baker as Harlow and was really awful. Baker actually wasn't too bad, but the whole script was so made-up, it didn't do anything to celebrate the actual sorrows or joys of Harlow's life.

    I'd like to see a TRUE screen telling of her story because so far, there has been nothing done on screen to depict this woman's tragic and amazing life story. Let's see if Hollywood can get it right this time, for once. It's amazing that the first and original "blonde bombshell" has still not been depicted on screen accurately or properly. I read somewhere that Clint Eastwood's daughter, Allison, was being considered for a Harlow screen biography, but I have no idea if it's still in the works or not. (I hope to hell they don't cast Gwen Stefani in anything Harlow-related again - she really looks nothing like her except for being blonde, sheesh) I hope one day Hollywood can pull it off - although maybe there are still powerful people around who don't want the truth told (i.e. the cover up on Bern's death). I truly think that's why there hasn't been a screen bio of Harlow - too many ghosts lurking in too many closets.

    Most writers over the years have simply repeated the crap Irving Shulman put out there, simply because they were too lazy or too intimidated by the "powers that be" to do the research and find the truth. I would recommend the book "Deadly Illusions" which pretty much proved to me that Bern was murdered by his crazy common law wife, and that he did NOT commit suicide. Harlow knew that she existed in Bern's life before she married him, but probably didn't know the extent of how dangerous she was. I believe she knew exactly what happened but had to keep her mouth shut to save her own career. Although in the end, it didn't matter much when she herself died just a few years later at age 27.........

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17

    Jean Harlow-(Harlean Harlow Carpenter)

    I have read Platinum Girl by Eve Golden, but I feel "Bombshell" by David Stenn is a much better book. Golden relied heavily on fan magazines of the day for alot of her information, and alot of stories in the fan magazines were made up. Stenn interviewed people that knew Jean Harlow, prop guys, sound guys, friends, etc. Most of these people had never been interviewed before, so tons of stories and things about her came out, TRUE stories, which helped to really clear up alot of the lies that Schulman came up with, and the truth finally came out. Jean was not a slut, she was not anything like her screen persona at all, but rather much more quiet and very child like. I still can't get over the fact that Jean's father's heart was broken after reading that book, the terrible things written about his daughter. Alot of people that were still alive and knew Jean were able to say "She wasn't like this" but the damage was already done, and most of us that grew up and learned about her grew up knowing all this crap.

    Mother Jean (Jean's mom, and the real Jean Harlow) is buried in the bottom crypt, with her beloved Baby above her. It is believed William Powell, who Mother Jean talked into paying for the expensive crypt, was to be buried there as well, but that never happened. He is buried with his last wife, Mousie.

    Jean knew all about Dorothy Millette. She got herself out of that house and stayed with her Mother for a reason.

    Her kidney failure came from a bout of scarlett fever she contracted as a child. There was no cure for that in the 1930s.
    Last edited by harlow1137; 10-08-2007 at 11:07 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoHo Arts District-L.A.
    Posts
    5,781
    Is it true that the ghost of Paul Bern haunts the house he lived in with Jean? Supposedly he showed himself to Sharon Tate and foretold her death. Supposedly, mind you.

  10. #10
    I've been a Harlow fan for years. I was always fascinated by her Art Deco appearance & tried to copy it with the platinum hair & pencil-thin brows in my younger days.

    As I kid, I got the book Films of Jean Harlow & sometimes sketched pictures of her from it. And, have the previously mentioned books on her.

    It's good to hear her spoken about with such affection by those who knew her & dismiss the trash in the Shulman book. She was a good, kind woman & it's ashame that she didn't have the happiness in life she deserved. She brought pleasure to so many.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On this forum, obviously!
    Posts
    4,259
    Thank you, All! I have never really given Harlow much thought, but due to this discussion, you've given me another classic actress to look up and research. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by SheBoss; 10-08-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Ooops! I had a typo!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by harlow1137 View Post
    I have read Platinum Girl by Eve Golden, but I feel "Bombshell" by David Stenn is a much better book. Golden relied heavily on fan magazines of the day for alot of her information, and alot of stories in the fan magazines were made up. Stenn interviewed people that knew Jean Harlow, prop guys, sound guys, friends, etc. Most of these people had never been interviewed before, so tons of stories and things about her came out, TRUE stories, which helped to really clear up alot of the lies that Schulman came up with, and the truth finally came out. Jean was not a slut, she was not anything like her screen persona at all, but rather much more quiet and very child like. I still can't get over the fact that Jean's father's heart was broken after reading that book, the terrible things written about his daughter. Alot of people that were still alive and knew Jean were able to say "She wasn't like this" but the damage was already done, and most of us that grew up and learned about her grew up knowing all this crap.

    Mother Jean (Jean's mom, and the real Jean Harlow) is buried in the bottom crypt, with her beloved Baby above her. It is believed William Powell, who Mother Jean talked into paying for the expensive crypt, was to be buried there as well, but that never happened. He is buried with his last wife, Mousie.

    Jean knew all about Dorothy Millette. She got herself out of that house and stayed with her Mother for a reason.

    Her kidney failure came from a bout of scarlett fever she contracted as a child. There was no cure for that in the 1930s.
    I have read both books and tend to agree with you that Stenn's book is better. What's amazing, as you say, is that so many of these people had never been interviewed previously, so he was lucky to find them just in time. It's good that both books seemed to agree on the cause of her illness (scarlet fever), so they apparently reached basically the same conclusion about that. Therefore, I think we can let Bern off the hook as far as beating her causing her death. Also, it was pointed out that even if he had beaten her around her kidney area, (which there is absolutely no proof that he ever did), it still wouldn't have destroyed her kidneys the way they were when she died. Too bad somebody can't sue Shulman's estate - he did a huge amount of damage to Harlow as an actress and a person.

    On an interesting side note, I lived in Sacramento for a awhile and never knew until reading these books that Dorothy Millette is buried on Folsom Blvd. in the old and very pretty cemetery there in Sac!!!! So if anybody lives near there, stop by and take a look. You can find her burial plot by looking it up on the Net. (it took me awhile but you can find the exact location). I drove by there every single day! Darn! If only I'd known. I moved away before ever seeing it. Apparently Harlow paid for the plot and burial expenses for Millette. Gee, what a gal, huh? In my mind, this shows that she truly cared about Bern and wanted to clear up the whole mess by making sure that someone he cared for (Millette) was properly buried. Or maybe she just wanted it to all go away quickly. Who knows what was in her mind? An incredible story........

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Thank you, All! I have never really given Harlow much thought, but due to this discussion, you've given me another classic actress to look up and research. Much appreciated!
    That's great that you'll look into her life a bit more now....hers is truly one of the all time wildest Hollywood stories out there. It has everything - scandal, early tragic death, murder, cover-ups, not to mention Harlow's own amazing beauty and strangely lovely approach to being an actress and performer. I'm sure there were many days when she didn't feel physically well, either, judging from her health issues, but she always showed up on time for work and knew her lines, etc. That's so different from some of today's young stars who can't be bothered with understanding a work ethic. The two books mentioned are the best, plus Deadly Illusions....fascinating stuff!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I have read both books and tend to agree with you that Stenn's book is better. What's amazing, as you say, is that so many of these people had never been interviewed previously, so he was lucky to find them just in time. It's good that both books seemed to agree on the cause of her illness (scarlet fever), so they apparently reached basically the same conclusion about that. Therefore, I think we can let Bern off the hook as far as beating her causing her death. Also, it was pointed out that even if he had beaten her around her kidney area, (which there is absolutely no proof that he ever did), it still wouldn't have destroyed her kidneys the way they were when she died. Too bad somebody can't sue Shulman's estate - he did a huge amount of damage to Harlow as an actress and a person.

    On an interesting side note, I lived in Sacramento for a awhile and never knew until reading these books that Dorothy Millette is buried on Folsom Blvd. in the old and very pretty cemetery there in Sac!!!! So if anybody lives near there, stop by and take a look. You can find her burial plot by looking it up on the Net. (it took me awhile but you can find the exact location). I drove by there every single day! Darn! If only I'd known. I moved away before ever seeing it. Apparently Harlow paid for the plot and burial expenses for Millette. Gee, what a gal, huh? In my mind, this shows that she truly cared about Bern and wanted to clear up the whole mess by making sure that someone he cared for (Millette) was properly buried. Or maybe she just wanted it to all go away quickly. Who knows what was in her mind? An incredible story........
    Apparently some of the people that he talked to died before the book came out!
    You're right, Jean did pay for Millette's burial plot and expenses. I agree with you, she really did love Paul Bern.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Is it true that the ghost of Paul Bern haunts the house he lived in with Jean? Supposedly he showed himself to Sharon Tate and foretold her death. Supposedly, mind you.
    I've read the interview Tate gave in which she talked about seeing a "creepy little man" while staying at the Harlow house one night alone (it was being leased by her boyfriend Jay Sebring) and her seeing a bloodied body with a cut throat tied to the stairway post.....it certainly has the ring of truth, although maybe her agent put her up to it, to give the interview some buzz. But still, it seems a strange thing for anyone to just make up for an interview. Whether true or not, in light of what eventually happened to Tate, it takes on a very bizarre feeling. I also read somewhere that Sebring had become scared of the Easton Drive house and refused to stay there alone at night. I found a pic of the house on the Net - I thought it was charming looking, rather old world style, cottagey looking (by Hollywood standards). I guess it's still there, probably been redone several times like all the rest of the "homes of the stars"..........personally, I wouldn't want to stay there overnight LOL!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Thank you, All! I have never really given Harlow much thought, but due to this discussion, you've given me another classic actress to look up and research. Much appreciated!
    That's great! She was a wonderful actress. The films of Jean's that I would recommend you see are "Bombshell", "Red Headed Woman," and "The Girl From Missouri. " She was just beginning to enjoy the career her mother pushed her into when it all came to an end. She was only 26 when she died.

  17. #17
    She was also good in China Seas, Red Dust & Dinner at Eight.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Yes she was.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On this forum, obviously!
    Posts
    4,259
    Quote Originally Posted by harlow1137 View Post
    She was only 26 when she died.
    I didn't know that either - facinating!

  20. #20
    Here's a trivia request I'll throw out to anyone who's up to the challenge. Does anybody know the birth date of Harlow's mother? I've never seen it referenced anywhere. I don't think I've even seen a year of birth given for her, much less a month or day. I'm kinda into astrology and was always curious what the mother's birth sign was, because she pushed Harlean (Jean Harlow's real first name) so hard. I know Harlow herself was a Pisces but I'd luv to know what the mom was......thanks so much if anybody can dig this tidbit out of the misty archives of Hollywood history!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    anyone ever seen saratoga her last fim?? She was dying the entire time she wasfilming this movie andactually collapsed on set and had to be carried away, where she later died...but if you watch saratoga they had to filmaround her death so there are allot of parts that had a stand in...pretty creepy cause at this point she is dead and they have a film to finish. Clark Gable later said it was like holding a ghost with her stand in. Anyway she is suppose to have a cold in the movie and there is one scene that always sticks out to me ...they are on a train and Clark comes to visit her and she has a horrible coughing fit...well later on I read Clark Gable bio and he said that was a real coughing fit .....and the whole cold was written in becasue she was so ill during filming...so I rented again and if you listen closley...she is just hacking and he even says her name....and then it is edited to another scene...but she died beforethey could fix that scene....its really sad because she is coughing and coughing and Clark says Jean....and then bam cut! We had to rewind it over and over ...but its clearly there.....I love her so much! What talent ! She was before her time.

  22. #22
    Findagrave lists it as Apr.1891:

    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...n&GRid=7989313&

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Okay this is probably worthless info but here goes:

    Rin-Tin-Tin the famous dog died in Jeans arms in 1932. Services were held for the mutt!!!

    I am just a plathora of useless info!!!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    12
    Samuel Marx, in his book "Mayer and Thalberg, The Make-Believe Saints" devotes a chapter to the Bern suicide, and his relationship with Jean Harlow. Good read if you can find it.

  25. #25
    I also love Jean.

    I've heard from a close source that Scott is indeed working on a piece for Jean Harlow. I know there is a lot of information (like separating "fact" from "fiction") and ground to cover here, so it's probably taking a bit longer than usual. I personally can't wait until it's done as I'm certain it will definitely be well worth the read.

    I also do not necessarily believe that Dorothy Millette murdered Paul Bern. Samuel Marx used circumstantial evidence not conclusive proof to reach his murder thesis. I am also hoping that Scott does a nice write-up on the Bern suicide as well. I do agree that it is one Hollywood death story filled with suspense & intrigue.

    As for Jean; what is there to say? She was the Greatest. Great comic timing, a great personality and an even greater body! Flawless as far as I'm concerned.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    Wow, you made my day! I've looked and looked for it -had no idea findagrave would have it. She was an Aries (like me! OHMIGOD! LOL).....again, thanks so much. Now all I have to do is find Marino Bello's, etc. (just kiddin, I really don't care that much about him or his background). Hey, you guys here at the best.....

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Okay this is probably worthless info but here goes:

    Rin-Tin-Tin the famous dog died in Jeans arms in 1932. Services were held for the mutt!!!

    I am just a plathora of useless info!!!
    It's not useless info - it's the most fun info in the world! LOL.......

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    anyone ever seen saratoga her last fim?? She was dying the entire time she wasfilming this movie andactually collapsed on set and had to be carried away, where she later died...but if you watch saratoga they had to filmaround her death so there are allot of parts that had a stand in...pretty creepy cause at this point she is dead and they have a film to finish. Clark Gable later said it was like holding a ghost with her stand in. Anyway she is suppose to have a cold in the movie and there is one scene that always sticks out to me ...they are on a train and Clark comes to visit her and she has a horrible coughing fit...well later on I read Clark Gable bio and he said that was a real coughing fit .....and the whole cold was written in becasue she was so ill during filming...so I rented again and if you listen closley...she is just hacking and he even says her name....and then it is edited to another scene...but she died beforethey could fix that scene....its really sad because she is coughing and coughing and Clark says Jean....and then bam cut! We had to rewind it over and over ...but its clearly there.....I love her so much! What talent ! She was before her time.
    I've watched it closely several times. I didn't know that about the coughing fit, wow. I'll have to go back and see it again and watch for that. It's weird how so many people, even film reviewers, say she didn't look well on screen, but I frankly couldn't see anything wrong. Maybe tad bit of weight gain around her tummy area (probably water weight from the kidney failure starting to happen), but apart from that I don't see any overt signs of bad health.

    Apparently she was buried in the negligee she was wearing in the scene where the doctor comes in to examine her. In real life, it was pink with blue and yellow flowers or something of that sort. Her mother initially wanted to bury her in white but decided on this gown of pink. Eerie and strange, to be buried in a gown that you've worn on screen. I've truly never heard of such odd occurrences as those associated with Harlow.....

  29. #29
    [quote=hoorayforhollywood;4267]Wow, you made my day! I've looked and looked for it -had no idea findagrave would have it. She was an Aries (like me! OHMIGOD! LOL).....again, thanks so much. Now all I have to do is find Marino Bello's, etc. (just kiddin, I really don't care that much about him or his background).

    No problem, glad to help.

    Oh, Bello's also somewhere at Forest Lawn. He's listed on findagrave too (the lazy swine).

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    It's not useless info - it's the most fun info in the world! LOL.......
    I've heard the Rin-Tin-Tin story is a "myth" as well.

    While Rin's owners did live across the street from Jean on Club View Drive and she did have some of his litter, the story of her comforting him into the next world appears to be a product of one of the movie mags back then. They were notorious for adding embellishing PR stories on many of the stars back then (usually with studio support).

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I've heard the Rin-Tin-Tin story is a "myth" as well.

    While Rin's owners did live across the street from Jean on Club View Drive and she did have some of his litter, the story of her comforting him into the next world appears to be a product of one of the movie mags back then. They were notorious for adding embellishing PR stories on many of the stars back then (usually with studio support).
    It's good to set the record straight. I always thought that story was a little suspect too . Those PR departments sure worked overtime to make the stars of that era look saintly and special. Today it's not quite so easy to fool the public or hide stuff.

  32. #32
    Here's another weird piece of info that I'll just throw out there. Maybe this is just my imagination, or maybe I didn't see it right, but I distinctly remember back in the 60's (like 1964), I was just a kid growing up in L.A. and a newscaster came on and said that that particular day was the anniversary of Jean Harlow's death. It was a local L.A. station, like KABC or something of that sort. Why they would do that, I'm not sure, but in the 60's, those old stars were still within the memory of many people alive then. My mom also happened to be fascinated with Harlow so even as a kid, I knew about the name so I looked up at the t.v. Anyway, for a split second, there was a picture of what looked like a woman in a hospital bed and then it went off. I have always wondered if this was in fact a pic of Harlow in the hospital (which she was for a couple of days before her death). I don't remember it clearly, what she looked like or anything, but it's kind of a strange memory. I would not be at all surprised if a photographer or even a family member took a photo of her, either ill at her home in bed or at the hospital. In those days they didn't really have "papparazzi" like today, but still..........she was a hot property, and getting a shot of her at the hospital would have been valuable stuff. If such a photo exists, it's probably been long since hidden away deep in the secret archives of some t.v. station in L.A. or turned over to the family or who knows..........or maybe I wasn't hearing it right in the first place. Just thought I'd share this odd little tidbit in case there's anyone out there who might want to follow up.........

  33. #33
    I doubt any photos of Jean were taken in her last hours.

    With Jean in agony near death, I just don't see any reason why anyone close to her or any family member would want to snap a photo of her while she was in her last hours. That simply wouldn't make any sense. I think you may've just seen a still of Caroll Baker as Harlow during the death scene in that awful film, as I've never seen any actual photos of Harlow after she left the Saratoga set. After she died, MGM security was tight, I mean TIGHT, not only for Harlow's funeral, but at the morturary where her body was being held in the days leading up to the funeral. Fans actually flocked to the Pierce Brothers morturary only to be met by armed guards. There was no way in high hell Mayer was going to allow unflattering post-mortem photos of their hottest commodity to get out.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 10-10-2007 at 11:28 PM.

  34. #34
    You're probably right, and it had occurred to me that perhaps the t.v. station had used a still from the Carrol Baker film......but I've seen that movie and the bed wasn't in the position that the bed was in for this photo. In the photo I saw, it was a straight ahead shot as if someone were standing at the foot of the bed and it was farther away, like a long shot, whereas in the Harlow movie with Baker, I don't think the bed was positioned like that, more of a closer shot and a side view. Anyway, it was probably some type of stock photo, and not the real thing, because I agree, it is hard to imagine anyone getting a photo of her in those last days. Then again, it can be hard to control a quick photo snapped off before anyone could stop it. Yet another mystery........

  35. #35
    Well, until I see a genuine photo of her on her deathbed with her hair shaved off and a swollen cranium, I'll keep this filed under "unlikely." Since Harlow was kept at the celebrity ward in Good Samaritan, it's not likely that any photographer would've been allowed anywhere near her room. On top of the normal security protocols, mother Jean was there the whole time and was quite selective regarding who exactly got in to see "her baby." In all, I really think if there were really any photos of Jean out there on her deathbed, we probably would've seen them after 70 years.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,943
    I have a question (or two)....
    Wasn't she supposed to marry William Powell before she died? that it was postponed until she got better?
    And I always heard (and read somewhere, but it has been soo long that I forgot where - please forgive) that her mother didn't believe in modern medicine (modern in that time) and didn't allow any medical help, even though there was no cure for what she had?

    Dinner at 8 and Red Dawn are my personal favs - what class & talent.
    Thanks all for any clarification!!!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1
    In the early '90s my friend and I snuck into the tomb. It was a weekday, and pretty empty. my friend used his credit card to pick the lock on the gate at the end of the corridor. It's only about waist high anyway. I made it down that hallway and even had my picture taken right in front of her tomb. We got out just in time, as the woman who worked there came tearing around the corner as if she suspected something. The great Marie Dressler is right across from Jean.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    I have a question (or two)....
    Wasn't she supposed to marry William Powell before she died? that it was postponed until she got better?
    And I always heard (and read somewhere, but it has been soo long that I forgot where - please forgive) that her mother didn't believe in modern medicine (modern in that time) and didn't allow any medical help, even though there was no cure for what she had?

    Dinner at 8 and Red Dawn are my personal favs - what class & talent.
    Thanks all for any clarification!!!
    I do not believe Jean & Powell would've ever married. She wanted lots of kids, he didn't want any. End of story. The woman he married after Jean, Diana Louis, would remain married to Powell from 1940 until his death in 1984. They never had kids.

    The story that mother Jean didn't allow medical attention (thus indirectly causing her death) for her daughter is another "myth." Jean's medical records clearly showed she received around the clock medical attention. The sad reality is that there was nothing that could've been done to save her in 1937. Kidney Transplants & dialysis were both a thing of the future, so she was sadly doomed.

    Btw, Red Dawn was with Patrick Swayze & Jennifer Grey, and was made 52 years after RED DUST with Gable/ Harlow! (I'm sure this is what you meant).

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    615

    Question

    Does anyone ever remember hearing how Jean had written a book before she died, that was not published due to the "scandalous" content? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
    Last edited by Colicky; 10-28-2007 at 01:24 PM.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Yeah I really love her, so beofre her time! What a beautiful girl and your right cause I really thought she looked allright as well during Sartoga....maybe alittle weight gain....poor thing! I hope Scott makes a page fOr her! If you watch Saratoga and you wanna see the coughing fit...its the part on the train she is suppose to have a cold and Clark comes to visit her....I think they mention it in that book Platnuim as well....but its a bad coughing fit..she must have felt like hell....what do we all think of her mom??? I know some people fault her with not letting her go to a doctor....Is that true do you think???

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Colicky View Post
    Does anyone ever remember hearing who Jean had written a book before you died, that was not published due to the "scandalous" content? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
    As I recall, the title of the book is "Today Is Tonight" and it's a rare book but I think you can find it somewhere. I've read some descriptions of it and it sounds fairly tame by today's standards - kind of romantic stuff with plot twists, etc. She may have co-written it with someone else, not sure. Apparently she loved books and fancied herself somewhat of a writer who loved words. I'm not sure I've ever totally believed that she alone wrote it. The few extracts I've read from it sounded pretty hokey, but it was written in the style of the 1930's, so it was for that time and that audience.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    In the early '90s my friend and I snuck into the tomb. It was a weekday, and pretty empty. my friend used his credit card to pick the lock on the gate at the end of the corridor. It's only about waist high anyway. I made it down that hallway and even had my picture taken right in front of her tomb. We got out just in time, as the woman who worked there came tearing around the corner as if she suspected something. The great Marie Dressler is right across from Jean.
    Good for you! I'm not advocating breaking into anything at Forest Lawn, but as previously stated in my other post, they should respect the public's right to view these memorials to the great stars who laid the groundwork for today's mega billion dollar movie/tv. industry. Without US, the great "unwashed public", where would ANY of them be? Nowhere. Yes, they had the talent and the beauty, but we had the bucks to pump into their wallets and make them and their families very wealthy. So, I do think we have the right to view their graves/tombs, etc. Can you post the pic here? It would be nice to see.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,943
    Thanks for the info and clarification HarlowNumber1.... I am an idiot who can't type worth a damn....

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    what do we all think of her mom??? I know some people fault her with not letting her go to a doctor....Is that true do you think???
    I already addressed this. Please read post #38.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    They don't make Hollywood stars like Jean Harlow anymore, that's for sure.
    It's pathetic that we're stuck with Paris and Lindsay and Nicole and the like.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Yes, I agree. It was great to be able to see her final resting place, and as we know, secondhand photos don't really give the full impression. I didn't take any photos while there, I was too intimidated and I may have even been told not to, I don't recall. The lady who let me in made me feel like I had to hurry up, so that was kind of stressful. I would think they could install security cameras to make sure nothing happens. I do understand their need for security around there, but it should be balanced with the public's interests too.

    They do have security cameras there, lots of them. They don't even want people in the mausoleum anymore (only to see that overdone stained glass window, then it's OUT). Sad and disgusting.

  47. #47
    a question from someone who knows little to nothing about Harlow.....

    in the photos at Find a grave, they have a shot in the mausoleum of a grave that says "our baby".

    who is that?
    Keri

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy I am eternally jealous, too!!

    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    I am eternally jealous that you were able to see her crypt. I hgope one day the powers that be realize that she, like any other Hollywood star, belongs to the public, as that is who made them. It's a travesty that they won't allow anyone to view her grave. How lonley it must feel there.
    I am eternally jealous of the Harlow crypt view, too...I would lavish it with zillions of white flowers if given the chance. I have always felt so sorry for her and how she passed away. Yuck, it sounded really awful!! Glad they have at least some things they can do now for kidney failure.

    Erin -0- I am VERY jealous of your Marilyn Monroe pic -- drat!! She is MY idol...MINEMINEMINE

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    535
    I've always read that Harlow as a genuinely kind woman. For some reason, I seem to recall reading that Paul Bern was also a very nice man. I could be wrong on that, but for some reason it sticks in my mind.

    My two favorite Harlow movies are Wife v. Secretary and also the movie Libeled Lady. Both movies also included another favorite of mine...Myrna Loy (whom I've read wasn't all that nice.)

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobsters View Post
    a question from someone who knows little to nothing about Harlow.....

    in the photos at Find a grave, they have a shot in the mausoleum of a grave that says "our baby".

    who is that?
    That's what Harlow's tomb says, very lightly engraved into the marble. When I saw it, (knowing nothing about what her tomb might look like), I was SO blown away by the "our baby" engraving. That's what impressed me the most. It's very faint and it's easy to miss unless you stare at it. It was a very personal moment for me, because she was no longer a "star" but a person. Kinda strange feeling. Her nickname in Hollywood was "baby" or "the baby", so I presume that's why that was put on her grave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •