Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Burns

George Burns

Anyone else here think that this man was awesome? My personal favorite is Going in Style, followed by The Sunshine Boys.

I loved this man.

-K.

Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Anyone else here think that this man was awesome? My personal favorite is Going in Style, followed by The Sunshine Boys.

I loved this man.

I love George Burns... he and Gracie were priceless... I attached some quotes

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/George_Burns/

-K.

Somehow my response became encapsulated in your comment... sorry

After fighting a long battle with heart disease, Gracie suffered a fatal heart attack in her home on August 27, 1964. Her exact age remains a mystery to this day. Gracie was interred in a crypt at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California. In his second book, They Still Love Me in Altoona, George wrote that he found it impossible to sleep after Gracie's death until he decided to sleep in the bed she used during her illness. He also visited her grave at least once a month, professing to talk to her about whatever he was doing at the time — including, he said, trying to decide whether he really should accept the Sunshine Boys role. When George died thirty-two years later, he was interred next to Gracie and had the crypt's maker changed to 'Gracie Allen and George Burns — Together Again'

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    After fighting a long battle with heart disease, Gracie suffered a fatal heart attack in her home on August 27, 1964. Her exact age remains a mystery to this day. Gracie was interred in a crypt at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California. In his second book, They Still Love Me in Altoona, George wrote that he found it impossible to sleep after Gracie's death until he decided to sleep in the bed she used during her illness. He also visited her grave at least once a month, professing to talk to her about whatever he was doing at the time including, he said, trying to decide whether he really should accept the Sunshine Boys role. When George died thirty-two years later, he was interred next to Gracie and had the crypt's maker changed to 'Gracie Allen and George Burns Together Again'
    Great information Thank you so much!

personal favorites.....The Sunshine Boys (1975) and Oh, God! (1977)

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    personal favorites.....The Sunshine Boys (1975) and Oh, God! (1977)
    I must concur!

I loved him. He was a funny guy. He missed Gracie so much.

He did a commercial for the AFL (Aussie Rules Football League) for there 1996/97 season,as they were celebrating there 100th, They asked him to do it in two parts, one saying I can't believe I've lived longer than AFL, and another one just case saying I can't believe AFL out lived me!!!

There never has, nor ever will be another like him !

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Was a regular on the "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts." He was even a guest of honor in 1978

At the time of his Oscar win, he was the oldest recipient of an Oscar. He was 80 when he won the 1976 Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for The Sunshine Boys (1975). This record was surpassed by Jessica Tandy in 1990. However, as of 2007 he still is the oldest recipient of an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

Took the name "Burns" from the Burns Brothers Coal Company, whose trucks he'd stolen lumps from growing up, to help heat the family home. "George" was a sobriquet his brother occasionally used.

In the early 1940s, during the height of their popularity, George Burns had a brief extra-marital affair. He apologized to Gracie by giving her a new coffee table, and nothing more was said about it. However, years later, when Gracie was serving coffee to a friend in their living room, George overheard her say, "You know, I wish George would have another affair. I really need a new coffee table."

Was originally supposed to deliver the eulogy at the funeral of his best friend, Jack Benny, but he was so overcome with emotion after trying that he let someone else do it.

George Burns was great. If you ever get the chance to read his book All my Best Friends, by all means read it. Its got some funny stories in it.

I loved him he seemed to get more vital with age.

George and Gracie were one of kind. They are greatly missed.
    Megynne Scott
    FOUNDER
    Spiritwise Paranormal Investigations
    www.spiritwisepi.com
    http://twitter.com/spiritwisepi

I always thought that George sold himself short when he was performing with Gracie. He had such unique comic gifts, but their radio and Tv shows really seemed to be all about her. I guess you kind of knew he was the brains behind it. And he did get a career of his own after, so it really balanced out.

There's a story in Leonard Maltin's book "The Great American Broadcast" about a young Ray Bradbury getting to meet George Burns after a radio show. He went on and on about his writing, and George listened graciously. 20 years later, when they were both in the same industry, Bradbury was excited to find out that George had remembered their first meeting, and that he had wanted to be a writer! That's class in my books.

I just read George's book "Gracie... A Love Story". What a sweet thing. I just love all these stories of couples who performed together and stayed married for all those years. Jack and Marry Benny, Jim and Marion Jordan and Jane and Goodman Ace were like that too. in the case of the Jordans and the Aces, the wives died much earlier too.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

It's too bad that some of the old shows, particularly Burns & Allen are not shown on cable. I've seen some episodes on dvd and some of the stories and almost all of the comedy routines hold up very well, even though 50 years have passed since the last new B&A episode was filmed.

Guest Guest
    Huge fan - read all his books and seen all his films

in my head...i think i always imagine he's what God will look like..i just loved him and john denver in Oh God

I loved George Burns in just about anything.

My favorite line of his is one he used on the Tonight Show, totally cracking up Johnny Carson. In the midst of a bunch of one-liners about old girlfriends, he said, "I once went out with a girl who was so bow-legged that when she sat down she looked like someone had stolen her cello."

I loved George and Gracie they worked so well together. That is what the world needs more comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    in my head...i think i always imagine he's what God will look like..
    That's exactly what my sister said once. He was a funny man. I watched a few old Burns and Allens, but my favorite was Oh God you Devil.

Considering how funny he was, the hard thing to keep in mind about George Burns is that he was the straight man! Despite all of the laughs he got in Burns and Allen, Gracie Allen was the attraction; George's job was to set her up, and he did it magnificently. It was only after her death that he stepped up as an attraction on his own.

In my opinion (and his), Gracie Allen makes him funny. After she died I did not care for him much.

I am sure that George is hanging out with God enjoying many, many well deserved cigars!

Remember when he sang I wish I was 18 again?

Loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c-WBn5cCg

Makes me a little misty
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

Loved him in Oh god you Devil.
    "Living is not measured in how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!"

Here's the AFL commercial someone mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfuA2c88BY
    Johnny Carson 1925-2005.

My blog about celebrity deaths, hospitalizations, failing health reports, etc.
    http://deathsandhospitalizations.tumblr.com/

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Here's the AFL commercial someone mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfuA2c88BY

George Burns Autograph

here is George Burns' Autograph, from later in life (lol when wasn't he later in life?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

George didn't care much for Groucho Marx.

He was called to testify in Groucho's estate trial where Groucho's heirs were protesting the amount he left to his girlfriend Erin Fleming.

The attorney for Fleming asked George if he thought she deserved any part of Groucho's estate, whereby George said," if she lived with Gorucho all those years, she deserves all of it!"

RIP George.

Guest Guest
    Lol, funny anecdote! I can believe it would have been a challenge to live with Groucho. I have read somewhere that Erin wasn't particularly pleasant.
    George still cracks me up, very drole sense of humour.

I'm sad there are so few responses in this thread. To me, George Burns might have been the greatest American comedian ever. It's true what somebody else said about him being the straight man, but the best straight men are some of the best comedians. Much of the time the humor is in the fact that he's the one making sense, but because of all the crazy, what he says is funny. I notice on a lot of his jokes, he tells it........ no laugh.... wait a second.... laugh. It's like they make you think for a second before they hit. Crafted in such a perfectly timed way. As a smartass myself, I think he's the king of the smartasses.

I've been on a George Burns roll this week. Watched all the Oh, God! movies, some Burns and Allen and now The Sunshine Boys.

I'm in the midst of watching The Sunshine Boys again, I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Matthau does a great job, but I keep thinking, Matthau is too young. He was ten around the end of the Vaudeville period.

Celebrity deaths don't usually upset me. Very few ever get me down. Even at 100 years old, the day I heard George Burns died, I was sad. I wanted him to play Caesars. He probably could have too had it not been for that fall in 1994. It sucks how a fall can put somebody on the fast track to the end.

One thing I love about George Burns was the way he talked about Gracie. Now that is a love story.
    Last edited by Bbeelzebub; 06-18-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    I'm not a death hag... I'm a death fag!

Bbee, I have loved and respected this man my entire life. We have the same birthday, George and I. I don't remember the first time I was introduced to his work, but I know I loved it. As the years go on, I don't think kids are being introduced to the golden oldies the way that we were.
    Once in a million years a lady like her rises...

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Bbee, I have loved and respected this man my entire life. We have the same birthday, George and I. I don't remember the first time I was introduced to his work, but I know I loved it. As the years go on, I don't think kids are being introduced to the golden oldies the way that we were.

I was thinking about that the other day. I was born in the second half of the 70s. The golden age of Hollywood was already gone, but because of shows like Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett, Merv Grffin, etc. I still got to know who a lot of the greats were. The ones that were still alive would come on to chat and we all tuned in, even if they weren't there to plug something. What a great time.

Channels like AMC and other basic cable shows used to show a lot of classic tv and movies but it's getting slimmer and slimmer. I hate to think that in 50 years, people are turning into reruns of Jerry Springer, Maury and the Kardashians in place of real entertainment history.
    Last edited by Bbeelzebub; 06-18-2012 at 04:24 AM.

l finished "Gracie, a Love Story" on Saturday, and I've been watching old Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts all month. I like George Burns for the same reason I like Jack Benny: He makes me feel happy. He's feel good entertainment. You can tell he absolutely loved what he did, it's in every performance. I adore George!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    George didn't care much for Groucho Marx.

He was called to testify in Groucho's estate trial where Groucho's heirs were protesting the amount he left to his girlfriend Erin Fleming.

The attorney for Fleming asked George if he thought she deserved any part of Groucho's estate, whereby George said," if she lived with Gorucho all those years, she deserves all of it!"

RIP George.

I was watching some old Larry King interviews today and he asked George, "Did you like Groucho?" George responded with, "I liked Harpo". It was very odd.

His reasoning for liking Harpo was great. Harpo said he wanted to adopt a child for every window in his house, so that everytime he left he'd see somebody waving at him from each window. Tells you what kind of person both George and Harpo were. Class acts.

Groucho, from what I've read, didn't make himself the easiest person to get along with. Harpo and his wife however were very close to both the Burns and Benny families.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbelle View Post
    Groucho, from what I've read, didn't make himself the easiest person to get along with. Harpo and his wife however were very close to both the Burns and Benny families.
    I've heard that too. It does make me wonder even more what is up with him inviting Bud Cort to move in and them watching tv in bed together snuggling in their jammies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I gather you weren't born the same year.

I'm a huge fan of George Burns. Anyone who was best friends with my hero Jack Benny sure can't be all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveria View Post
    I gather you weren't born the same year.
    Bbee, this is crazy, but the day I was born was George's 70th birthday....70th!! And THAT was in '66. I'm amazed because I never did the math before...I guess I'm really stunned that he was that old then. See, he just never stops entertaining me....
    Once in a million years a lady like her rises...

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    George Burns was great. If you ever get the chance to read his book All my Best Friends, by all means read it. Its got some funny stories in it.
    I just picked up this gem of a book a few weeks ago and now I cannot put it down! It is a great look at the earliest days of modern entertainment from Vaudeville to radio and later TV. It is fascinating to learn how close most of the big names were and how they socialized in ways that my parent's generation did...playing cards, telling jokes, singing songs, that sort of thing. Nice to read about real people!

My mom has pretty much every biography or autobiography about most celebs of the golden age, but not All My Best Friends. I think I'll need to hunt it down. She does have Gracie: A Love Story. Not sure which one I should read first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    My mom has pretty much every biography or autobiography about most celebs of the golden age, but not All My Best Friends. I think I'll need to hunt it down. She does have Gracie: A Love Story. Not sure which one I should read first.
    Knowing how much I am enjoying "All my Best Friends" I am certain I will have to buy and read "Gracie: A Love Story" also. It is like opening a time capsule from those earliest eras of Hollywood and having one of the participants describe how it all worked.

Gracie, a love story focuses almost entirely on Gracie and their life together. Definitely read it, but for a complete picture on George, read other books as well.

He made smoking cigars awesome.
    I remember when he died, my Mom and I giggled and muttered something about it being about time.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerVonTease View Post
    He made smoking cigars awesome.
    I remember when he died, my Mom and I giggled and muttered something about it being about time.
    He claims he didn't inhale, considering how long he lived, I don't doubt that.

His thing was he needed to have something to do while the audience laughed, so that's when he'd puff on the cigar. His cigars were cheap cigars as well because cheap cigars aren't packed as tight and don't burn out as quick, thus eliminating the need to constantly relight when on stage.

Just a lil' info I picked up from watching various interviews.

Kinda makes me want to get a cigar to enjoy in his honour!

Can only hope I live to be his age and being
    of sound mind.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

love George Burns, RIP.