Thread: Sandra Gould--Bewitched

Sandra Gould--Bewitched

Upon the death of Alice Pearce, Sandra Gould was chosen to replace her in the role of Gladys Kravitz, the nosy neighbor. There were only a few similarities however; the toothy grin, the voices were both shrill and their height was about the same but Gould was a bit stockier. Gould had reddish hair and seemed a bit younger and she put her own slant on the Gladys character. She, too, was born in New York City, on July 23, 1916 and grew up there. She got her acting start in radio at age 9 appearing on "My Friend Irma." She also worked on "The Jack Benny Show" for 15 years and played Mrs. Duffy for 5 years on "Duffy's Tavern" on radio. She made her Broadway stage debut at age 11 in "Fly Away Home" and after many years on Broadway made her film debut in "T-Men" (1947) as Girl on Phone. Her film credits include: "The Story of Molly X" (1949); "City Across the River" (1949) as Shirley; "Caged" (1950) with Eleanor Parker, as Skip; "The Clown" (1952) with Red Skelton, as Bunny; "Teacher's Pet" (1958) as Tess; "Imitation of Life" (1959) with Lana Turner, as a Receptionist; "Dear Heart" (1959) as Mrs. Sloan; "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (1965) as Loretta Pine; "The Barefoot Executive" (1971) as Mrs. Wilbanks; "Chatterbox" (1977) as Mrs. Bugatowski and "Deep Cover" (1992) as Mrs. O and "The Nutt House" (1992) as Ma Belle, her final film. On TV she was a regular on "Bewitched" (1966-72) as Mrs. Kravitz and "Gravedale High" (1990) as a character voice. She appeared in the TV movies: "Columbo: Suitable for Framing" (1971) and "The Kid with the 200 I.Q." (1983). She died of a stroke on July 20, 1999 in Burbank, California at age 83.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

I think both she and Alice Pierce deserve thousands of accolades. They really hit the nail on the head when they portrayed the nosy neighbor. They are both missed. Just like Ethel Mertz they were wonderful in their role.

She was great as the annoying Mrs. Kravitz.

Let's not forget that Sandra was a particular favorite of our own Scott Michaels!

Her Gladys Kravitz was not in the same league as Alice Pearce's. Gould was annoying, and while that worked in the context of the character, Pearce brought a lot more to the role, and could make you feel for Gladys.

I don't see how anyone could think Gould was a good Gladys. Alice played the part like a nervous neighbor who was scared of these witches living close by. She was quite funny. Gould, on the other hand, was not funny at all. She played Gladys like some kind of hateful private detective. It ruined the part. She was even a worse substitution than Dick Sargent was for Dick York.

FF to about 11:45 and you'll hear Sandra as the cartoon stage mom to prehistoric "Rosalie Gypsum" (aka Gypsy Rose Lee). I still crack up when I hear her shout "I gotta lotta money tied up in her act!"
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.funniermoments.com/watch.php?vid=98caa1fe4[/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

I preferred the original Gladys (PEARCE) and the original Darrin (YORK). Their replacements left much to be desired.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I thought both Dicks were whiney. A beautiful Wife with magical powers? Gimme!
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light......Dylan Thomas

She didn't hold a candle to Alice Pearce, as for Dick Sargent I liked him in other roles but I thought he was wrong for the part. I stopped watching the show when he came on.
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I preferred the original Gladys (PEARCE) and the original Darrin (YORK). Their replacements left much to be desired.
    We do too.

I think that both played the part of the nosey neighbor very well, but I preferred Alice Pearce. She kind of seemed to be so baffled by the goings on across the street that you really wanted someone to believe her. Sandra Gould was more like someone who was out to get the Stephens. However, both had hilarious reactions to the witchcraft. Just my opinion.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

I also like Pearce better, Gould was just annoying. I thought the Dick Sargent "Darrin" seemed always pissed off and was annoying too. but anywhoooo.

I always thought Gould was a little screechy in this role as well, but I never found her annoying in any other role she played in.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I just wondered if any of you here have had a Gladys Kravitz type in your neighborhood or family?
    I had both- years ago, One extremely nosy neighbor, only she was really nice and really meant well.
    Me? Numerous family members, only they were not so nice and were nosy just to further their vindictive agendas...