Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Peppard

George Peppard

I've always liked this guy … but never got totally comfortable with him…. Now I was a Banacek rerun fan and not really an A-Team watcher ('Fool was misguided').. Pappard made Banacek a guy you wanted to be, not necessarily hang-out with. Banacek was smart, aloof, cool, smoked Nat Sherman dark thin cigars, drank good booze, had a Limo and nailed a lot of hot babes… a lot like the real life guy himself it seems.
    Brought up by an opera singer Mom and a contractor Father in 1930s Dearborn, Michigan.
    In 1945, at 17; he enlists in the Marine Corps. (in this period still a very very tuff organization) He only serves out the enlistment, but leaves under the rank of Acting Gunnery Sergeant, Artillery…
    He then attends Purdue, studying Civil Engineering and also is enrolled at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh.
    Somewhere the Engineering interest turns to Acting and he's taking classes at Actor's Studio and getting parts on Broadway and TV. All and all, an impressive beginning.
    He stars as the male lead 'Paul Vajak' with Audrey Hepburn in the classic Breakfast at Tiffany's…
    This guy is on a roll…..
    But George drinks some (for 30 years apparently), and is a man of his own ideas….. with the unfortunate down-fall of not being afraid to say them…… apparently a lot…. at the wrong time…. about the wrong people…. (much like his second wife Elizabeth Ashley…. whom I believe suffers from the same personality quirk)
    It seems that the public is on his side, so he continues to land jobs… which he molds into a level of success…. (as long as his bosses can stand him)
    He plays Dr Sam Sheppard (another interesting guy) in the 'Sheppard Murder Case.' (1975)
    He quits drinking in 1978
    He was supposed to be Blake Harrington in 'Dynasty' But George will be George and production 're-shot' his scenes in the pilot with John Forsythe instead.
    Redemption comes as a tuff-ass 'Gunny-type' Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith of the A-Team.(1983 - 1987)
    Peppard also works with fellow recovering Alcoholics.
    He is diagnosed with Lung Cancer in 1992.
    A life-long smoker, he passes of chemotherapy complications on 08-MAY-1994
    A true home-boy, he was interned at a cemetery in Dearborn.

Sweet dreams George.
    Last edited by Analyst_Rob; 11-01-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Collecting my 10% 'Finder's Fee')
    Ground Control to Major Tom
    Your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?

i saw a show about the ateam a few years ago = He was really mean to the women on that show. He even told one of the ladies on her first day that she was ok but this show was a mans show & that dames werent allowed so dont get too comfortable. Charming!
    He also wanted more screen time than mr t & at one point made face tell Mr t what he wanted as he no longer spoke to him. The show tried to play down his superstar attitude but it came out big time.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

George Peppard...

I was looking through the directory and couldn't help but notice that there isn't an article on George Peppard... I live fairly close give or take a mile from where he is buried in Northview Cemetery, in Dearborn... I hope there is an article about him in the works...

Damn how did we miss this guy? Good catch!

Actor, he is best remembered for his breakthrough role of Paul “Fred” Varjak in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (1961), and for his role of Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith in the television series “The A-Team” (1983-1986). Born in Detroit, Michigan, the son of opera singer and building contractor Vernelle Rohrer. He graduated from Dearborn High School in nearby Dearborn, Michigan, and attended Purdue University, where he studied Engineering, later transferring to Carnegie Mellon University. He took an interest in acting, and joined The Actor’s Studio, where he studied acting. He enlisted into the Marine Corps, and rose to the rank of Sergeant in the Artillery, but saw no interest in a military career, and left as soon as his military obligation was up, to return to acting. Blue-eyed, blonde, fair, and handsome, he was quick to find roles for himself in the Hollywood machine. His first movie role was as a Cadet in “The Strange One” (1957), and he again played military roles in such films as “Pork Chop Hill” (1959), “The Victors” (1963), “Operation Crossbow” (1965), “Tobruk” (1967), and a series of other movies. His best military role was perhaps as German pilot Bruno Stachel, an obsessively competitive officer pilot from humble beginnings who challenges the Prussian aristocracy in World War I in “The Blue Max” (1966). Drifting between movies and television, he accepted roles in both mediums, and appeared in such television roles as a doctor in “Doctors’ Hospital” (1975) and as a detective in “Banacek” (1972). His success also led to the typical Hollywood excesses, and for years, he became alcoholic. In 1978, he finally conquered a serious drinking problem, and would spend many of his later years helping alcoholics to break the habit. He was married five times, and had three children with two of his wives. In his later years, he found acting less interesting, and turned more to producing and directing, but with less success, so he continued to act. In the mid-1980s, he found acting success again, as Colonel Hannibal Smith, the leader of “The A-Team” (1983-1986). A heavy smoker, in 1992 he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and had part of his lung removed. He died of pneumonia on May 8, 1994, in Los Angeles, due to complications from his lung cancer. Realistic about himself and his problems, he would state in an interview that “I was my own worst enemy” and that “Mine isn’t a string of victories. It’s no golden past. I am no George Peppard fan.” (bio by: Kit and Morgan Benson)

Good point, Mr. Morbid.

Thanks for the post, Danny.

Hey Mr. Morbid, Welcome to the board!

Of course, we'd all love to see a pic of that grave.

Enjoy!

I always liked George Peppard. He was just so cool in "A Team". I still use the phrase, "I love it when a plan comes together..." every chance I get.

Unfortunately, most times I have to explain where it came from.

My mother had told me years before I really knew much about him that he was a huge drunk, but that never swayed my admiration. He was a damn fine actor and looked like he'd have been cool to hang with as well. Even if he did wear a girdle!

Loved the A team as a kid. I quess smoking cigars all day would'nt help with lung cancer. Poor guy.

Awww....My brother and I thought the A-team was the bomb when we were kids. Our mom hated Mr. T. All the more reason for us to like it I guess. I didn't even know the poor guy was dead. I hate to hear it.

He'll always be "Fred" in Breakfast at Tiffany's for me.

I just thought of something weird, speaking of that: the younger stars of that film, Peppard and Audrey Hepburn, are long gone.

But the two "older" (or at least middle-aged) cast members, Patricia Neal and Mickey Rooney, are still going! Who would have guessed?

A friend of mine who was a character actor said Robert Blake and George Peppard were the two biggest A holes he ever worked with.However I was crushed when he told me that about George,Blake it was a no brainer...............

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Good point, Mr. Morbid.

Thanks for the post, Danny.

Hey Mr. Morbid, Welcome to the board!

Of course, we'd all love to see a pic of that grave.

Enjoy!

I wouldn't mind getting a pic of the grave site... Been meaning to go over there since I moved on this side of town... Hopefully this time I wont get chased out of the cemetery by some lunatic grounds keeper... Even though the last time I trotted into the cemetery it was during day light hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    A friend of mine who was a character actor said Robert Blake and George Peppard were the two biggest A holes he ever worked with.However I was crushed when he told me that about George,Blake it was a no brainer...............
    I never like hearing about people I loved watching as a kid not being nice person. Kinda ruins the fantasy I guess.

I only know him as "Fred" in Breakfast at Tiffanys .. I did watch the A-Team as a kid, but didn't know who he was back then, or realize he was in that! LOL Glad you got this thread started!!

The Blue Max has always been one of my favorite WWI movies and I really liked the aerial combat sequences.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light......Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    PATRICIA NEAL said the same thing about PEPPARD. She said that he was fine when she'd initially met him but that once the movie
    (BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY') was in production that he
    became "an insufferable bastard".

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Well you know sometimes that happens with celebs they become complete a-bleeps after making a few movies... I absolutely loved Peppard in The A-Team... I have dreams from time to time that I'm the 5th member... As for other celebs some of them are usually down to earth people... But most of them are the complete opposite... On a side note Scott, if your reading this man... Let me know if you plan on doing an article on George just give me the word if you want pictures taken from the Detroit area...
    Last edited by Mr. Morbid; 04-26-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added another sentence...

Yeah, I didn't want to be the one to disappoint you all but I had also heard somewhere that he was a bit of a shit. Namely, the rest of the A-Team loathed him and stayed out of his way on set. I too grew up on The A-Team (fave - Murdoch, no question) but saw Breakfast at Tiffanys in the 90s and watched it time and time again. Not his usual kind of role but I'm glad he did it.

Ateam was my favorite show as a kid,,,,,,,,talk about a great cast on TV this was it.
    Me and my bros would always play ateam in our fort. Memories

http://www.rigole.freeservers.com/ateam.htm
    "Living is not measured in how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!"

Wasn't one of hius best movies the "carpet baggers"? I loved that movie.

with DOLORES HART in the stage version of
    THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY

with (onetime) wife ELIZABETH ASHLEY

on THE A-TEAM

I was never a fan of Peppard but I watched his career bounce up and down. He had some interesting roles, one of which was Leo Percepied in the Hollywood version of Jack Kerouac's The Subterraneans. A total miscasting, I must say. I did like him in an obscure movie called House of Cards made in 1968 with a sexy Inger Stevens.

I remember seeing him on The Tonight Show at the height of his A Team days. He referred to his girlfriend as "my lady."

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Wasn't one of hius best movies the "carpet baggers"? I loved that movie.
    Yes. That's the one that is 'loosely' based on the life of HOWARD HUGHES.

I love it when a plan comes together ..

For me he will always be hanibell on The A Team.

I had an A Team lunch box back in the day.

I loved him. He was really handsome in Breakfast at Tiffanys.

George Peppard was a gorgeous hunk of a man - a 'manly' man. Gorgeous, well built, beautiful voice.
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

He was miss chunk. He was a fox,

Quote Originally Posted by deathpool View Post
    He was miss chunk. He was a fox,
    Oh yaaaaaaaaaaa, he also had the bluest pair of eyes... They don't make them like him anymore... I even loved his grey hair, and don't normally, but wowwwwwwwwwwwww

Guest Guest
    I liked him best in the A-Team! Ah the old tv shows, those were the days!

Even though he may have been an a-bleep, I thought he was great. He really was the last of the Hollywood pretty boys, the Old Hollywood matinee idol type guy. They really don't make 'em like that anymore. He didn't really get the chance to stretch his acting muscles....things were changing in the movies and his "type" (Mr. Suave) was going out of style, but he kept a career going with sheer willpower and talent.

no they dont make them like that anymore ms chunk

Yes George was great as the meglomaniac in "The Carpetbaggers".
    One of his love interests was played by Carroll Baker, whose character
    was based on Jean Harlow.

His Son got arrested with 38 pounds of Pot!
    His son Christian Peppard got arrested recently with 38 pounds of Pot in the Trunk. His mother is Actress Elizabeth Ashley.

Famous actor's son arrested on drug charges

Last Update: 10/21/2008 10:33 pm

UHP found 38 pounds of pot in the trunk of Christian Peppard -- son of famous actor George Peppard.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - It sounded like a tall tale, but turned out to be true. Police say they caught Christian Peppard, the son of famous actor George Peppard, with 38 pounds of marijuana on a Utah interstate.

Christian Peppard and Kelly Branton were stopped by a UHP trooper on I-80 on Monday for following too close behind another vehicle.

While the officer was checking the vehicle, a drug dog began biting at the trunk area. They searched the car and found the pot.

According to UHP troopers, Peppard said he was the son of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and 'A-Team' actor George Peppard, and was heading to Michigan to visit his father’s grave.

Peppard and Branton are now in the Salt Lake County Jail.

George Peppard .. what a great looking Actor .. Loved him esp. in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" but he was really good in everything he did .. had a great camera presence and like so many others gone but not forgotten ...

I loved him in the A-Team. I used to have a Hannibal action figure when I was a kid.

...omg - what a beautiful man!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love it when a plan comes together

the son, CHRISTIAN PEPPARD

He was handsome in youth. Nice hair. Bloated drunk later.

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

the son, CHRISTIAN PEPPARD
    Wonder how Christian did on his drug charge? WOW...that was alot of Merriewana!

I think he was probably very much like the character he played in the Blue Max. I suspect his co-actors were sort of like hiss fellow German pilots and wanted badly to send him up in a faulty plane and watch him crash as well!
    He was one beautiful hunk of man with that blond hair and blue eyes! He could act when the mood struck him as well.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Images Attached Images

check this out

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    Thanks Salvatore....Enjoyed the music.

He was in some great movies, but I never thought of him as an A-List actor. I guess finishing up as the A Team star did it for me. I read somewhere about him being a real a--hole, but people post on IMDB that he was a nice man.
    Whatever happened to his son and the dope problem?

In Gavin Lambert's book Natalie Wood: A Life, he says that at one point Peppard was writing Natalie drunken love letters.

George is dead? Bummer.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I just finished watching him in "The Strange One" - he was gorgeous. Ben Gazzara was in it, too - hubba, and Pat Hingle was actually svelte!

VCNJ~

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    I just finished watching him in "The Strange One" - he was gorgeous. Ben Gazzara was in it, too - hubba, and Pat Hingle was actually svelte!

VCNJ~

Gee, it's hard to picture the word svelte and the late PAT HINGLE in the same sentence. You're obviously an outstanding visionary !

Kelt:

I know! But the film was made in 1957, so there you go. Most of the actors - Peppard, Gazzara, James Olson, Mark Richman - were very young and heartbreakingly beautiful. Olson even had a full head of hair!

VCNJ~

Just watched The Blue Max again for the first time in years. excellent movie and George did nail his part. I think in
    most aspects when George liked the script and thought it was worth it he put the effort in.