Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van Johnson

Van Johnson Dead at age 92

A close friend says Van Johnson, Hollywood star of the movies' golden age, has died. Family friend Wendy Bleiweiss says Johnson died Friday at an assisted living center in Nyack. He was 92. Johnson was known for his boy-next-door wholesomeness and was a major heartthrob in the 1940s.
    Squirrell!!!!

I used to live near Nyack

Van Johnson

"So, If you meet me have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste, use all you're well earned politics, Or I'll lay your soul to waste."
    Sympathy for the Devil

Associated Press has the story now.

RIP Van. He had such a long life than many young people today won't know what a big star he was back in the day.
    I remember him best for "Brigadoon"

Guest Guest
    Oh Wow!

I always had a little thing for him. I dunno why.

LOVED Brigadoon.

Honestly, though, I thought he was already dead. My bad

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Didn't he also guest star on an episode of "I Love Lucy", when the Ricardos and Mertzes were in California? Such a handsome man! A classic film star!

"So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I loved him in Where Angels Go Trouble Follows and in the old Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda.
    Squirrell!!!!

Guest Guest
    Aww another Hollywood legend gone. He was a fine actor. R.I.P Mr Johnson.

Aww, that's so sad? The Stars from the golden age are becoming memories? RIP. I've always heard that Van was a closted gay man in his private life? anyone ever here that?

I posted a thread months ago that I have his phone number but was afraid to call him. I sent him a card instead. I hope he got to read it in his last days.

RIP-Van Johnson

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    I posted a thread months ago that I have his phone number but was afraid to call him. I sent him a card instead. I hope he got to read it in his last days.

RIP-Van Johnson
    No use phoning him now! Bet you'll get a dead tone!

Well am I allowed to publish his phone number now?

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lobosco107 View Post
    Well am I allowed to publish his phone number now?
    Lol, does it connect to the afterlife?

This is very sad, but he brought my Death Tally Total to 3 so far for the year.
    RIP

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmer927 View Post
    This is very sad, but he brought my Death Tally Total to 3 so far for the year.
    RIP
    Any others on your list?

yea Suzanne Pleshette and Studs Terkel

Last year I only got Anna Nicole Smith. This is my second year to participate.

I have another list of wishfulls, but they aren't real well known. I don't play Cash4Cadavers with that list, it's only wish full thinkings of people that should or need to die.
    You know, child abusers, animal cruelty...etc. Usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Lol, does it connect to the afterlife?
    No it just connects with the nursing home I think.

50 years of making movies. Not a bad run Mr. Johnson. RIP.

Think I only saw him in Mutiny in Caine... 92 - an impressive age. Some stories that guy must have been able to tell, about so many great stars...
    RIP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love is the answer - and you now that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    50 years of making movies. Not a bad run Mr. Johnson. RIP.
    Ditto..

APNewsAlert

3 hours ago
    NEW YORK (AP) Actor Van Johnson, Hollywood heartthrob in '40s, has died, a close friend says.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I read a biography on him...not a nice guy. In fact, kinda a jerk. However, I like some of his performances.

What the hell...it's been a real death week extravaganza. Did they take numbers or something?

Will he be buried with red socks?
    Boy,lots of deaths the past two weeks!

Van Johnson was on my 2009 death pool (we started in mid November). That's one for me. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Van Johnson was on my 2009 death pool (we started in mid November). That's one for me. RIP
    He made 3 for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Malotte View Post
    I read a biography on him...not a nice guy. In fact, kinda a jerk. However, I like some of his performances.

What the hell...it's been a real death week extravaganza. Did they take numbers or something?
    What exactly did it say about him?

Excellent actor,may he rest in peace!

I read that he was a jerk but I can't recall what they said.

I am really out of the loop ... I had thought he had passed before now.. R.I.P Mr. Van Johnson ..
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

RIP Van. Wow 92, that's a good run. God Speed friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I read that he was a jerk but I can't recall what they said.
    He was a bitter old Queen in the later part of his closted gay life. How sad, he was a very fine actor in the Golden Age of Hollywood. RIP to another great one gone but never forgotten!!

I know he was a good actor, but I heard he was not a nice man. Just the same, RIP.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

I heard he liked to stomp on newborn kittens while doing shrooms and laughing like Frank Gorshin right before passing out copies of Protocols of the Elders of Zion to schoolchildren.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I heard he liked to stomp on newborn kittens while doing shrooms and laughing like Frank Gorshin right before passing out copies of Protocols of the Elders of Zion to schoolchildren.

RIP.
    OMG - if that is true - I hope he rots in h*ll!

Don't ever change, Miss Chunk.

Death Pool?

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post

Oh, who else is on there? My goodness there has been a run on celebrity deaths, humiliations and sibling deaths this year. Whoa.

RIP Van!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

Here are some images of the late VAN JOHNSON. . . . . . .

(In 1944) when VAN JOHNSON was one of
    the "TOP 10 S*T*A*R*S*"

At home in 1945

a candid shot taken in 1984

GEORGE HEARN, JANET LEIGH, VAN JOHNSON & JAMIE LEE CURTIS in 1985

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

That is such a forced smile.
    It's All Gravy Baby

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    That is such a forced smile.
    I like his 'eye make-up'. Cough, cough.

He was good friends with Lucy. I always loved Yours, Mine and Ours when it came out in the late 60's. And he was the last star alive from the Lucy Hollywood episodes. Richard Widmark and Van were the only two left until recently. Now they're both gone within 3 months of each other. He was originally supposed to play the boy-next-door in Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland.
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    He was good friends with Lucy. I always loved Yours, Mine and Ours when it came out in the late 60's. And he was the last star alive from the Lucy Hollywood episodes. Richard Widmark and Van were the only two left until recently. Now they're both gone within 3 months of each other. He was originally supposed to play the boy-next-door in Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland.

What about SHEILAH MacRAE ?
    I know that the episode didn't evolve around her but she was featured as herself on the one about DON LOPER.
    The other 'wives' were only seen during the fashion show .
    MacRAE had lines and Lucy & Ethel were shown discussing how she (SM) "had been an actress who gave it up for a family"

Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post
    He was a bitter old Queen in the later part of his closted gay life. How sad, he was a very fine actor in the Golden Age of Hollywood. RIP to another great one gone but never forgotten!!
    I never got the "heartthrob" thing...I always thought of him as the prototypical 'red-haired stepchild' in the looks department...
    Regardless, RIP Van...

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    I thought he gave a pretty good performance in The Caine Mutiny but I remember him in the Batman TV show as the villain, The Minstrel

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    I thought he gave a pretty good performance in The Caine Mutiny but I remember him in the Batman TV show as the villain, The Minstrel
    omg I totally forgot about "The Minstrel"--THANKS for the memories Ima!

Is that Menstral?

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

(In 1944) when VAN JOHNSON was one of
    the "TOP 10 S*T*A*R*S*"

At home in 1945

a candid shot taken in 1984

Is that the George Hearn who was Sweeney Todd on Broadway with Angela Landsbury?

What's the origin of this picture Kelt, do you know what the event was?
    I'm just curious....

His daughter Schuyler Van Johnson is a popular Reviewer of books on Amazon. It is rumored that she is writing a book about her father. Doesn't sound like he was the best dad. He was also a step-dad to her two half bothers, Ned and Tracy Wynn, sons of Keenan Wynn and Grandchildren of Ed Wynn (remember all the Disney Movies he did?) Her mother left Keenan Wynn to marry Van Johnson.

This is her Profile. If you go to Amazon books, type in Van Johnson and you will find her profile of one of the books written about her father:
    Now that I'm at the middle of my life my nostalgia for my childhood and my magical, innocent memories of another time are becoming increasingly precious to me. They say childhood memories are the strongest and I believe that's true. I have clearer memories from 40-45 years ago than I do of things that happened to me last week. I grew up in Hollywood. My father was an actor and we had a projection room and were able to see movies and Disney animated features as a special treat for our birthdays. When my brother (I have two half brothers, different fathers) was little he went to Walt Disney's house and rode on the railroad train he had set up in his back yard. Disney feaures and characters played an enormous role in my childhood world. I watched the original Mickey Mouse Club as soon as I got home from school, and the Wonderful World of Color on the weekends. My father was shooting a picture at MGM when I was about 7 years old and he came home wearing a mask and hands from the 'Mole People' which was being shot at that same time. I always ran and opened the door for him and I got such a shock when I saw him with that face and those hands I screamed and fell down. (My older brothers were always playing tricks on me too, so I got used to the unexpected). We travelled frequently, usually in relation to my father's work. We went on location in Europe and spent an entire summer accompanying him when he was doing summer stock. I don't think I'd ever seen the color green until I drove around New England! I went to boarding school in Switzerland from 1958-1960. In retrospect the education I received was excellent, but I never got past being homesick. I eventually went to England and had a great tutor who introduced me to Greek mythology, but that idyll was short-lived when I was subsequently installed at the 'American School' where I endured schooling with the the offspring of ambassadors, the most arrogant group of snobs I've ever encountered (to this day). I was thrilled to return to California and my comfortable, albeit sometimes volatile, world. Time continued and my father left us and the glamorous life went away, too. A small group of loyal friends still continued to keep company with us; many more left the sinking ship, posthaste! Our living quarters got smaller and smaller until we moved to Florida, many years later. I counted twenty-five moves and as of this writing we are preparing to move (for the last time) into a house nearby. I love Florida and the people here are so accepting and kind. I am extremely fortunate in my job as a proofreader at a legal research company. Out of all the turmoil and less than satisfactory jobs I am happy to be able to say I not only love my job I am so lucky to have such terrific coworkers and two exceptionally sensitive bosses. I had cancer last year and I would not have made such a quick recovery if it had not been for my friends at work being so supportive. I am grateful every day when I drive to work that I get to read and get paid for it and get to be with such great people. Another important part of my life is Amazon books whose Web site and employees have provided me with hours of delight. I can peruse title after title and find books I never knew about. I feel grateful, too, for finding Amazon and I have my brother Ned to thank for that. He ordered a book for my mother for her birthday and I went to Amazon and fell in love immediately! Books books books! And all my favorite Disney animated features...and toys, etc. So today I feel almost content with my life. I wrote a children's book twenty yeras ago and when I get it published I'll be over the moon with happiness. Who knows...maybe one day it will be available for sale at Amazon...

Yeah I believe he was gay, and he was estranged from his daughter and step children. Will anyone show up to the funeral?

I found the reference to the pic with Jamie Lee Curtis, George Hearn and Van Johnson.
    It was backstage at La Cage Aux Folles on Broadway. Hearn and Van Johnson starred.

I forgot about Yours, Mine, and Ours. Such a good movie. Kicks the crap out of the remake they did a few years ago.