Thread: Jan Hooks 'SNL' and 'Designing Women'

Jan Hooks 'SNL' and 'Designing Women'

TMZ just announced her death at age 57 not long ago:
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/09/jan-hooks-dead-dies-snl/
    "You are what you think. If you think and you know that you can make it, then you are going to make it"
    - Jeff Reed, former NFL kicker

awww, I liked her. I don't think she went bat shit crazy like that victoria jackson person.
    RIP
    Last edited by PiggyTx; 10-09-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Jan Hooks was fresh-face cute and funny in her own right with the girl next door looks, and was fortunate enough to get on SNL when they had a funny cast...Myers, Miller, Farley, Carver.

Sad.
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

I loved her as 1/2 of the Sweeney Sisters. She was so funny and talented.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Awww wow.....R.I.P. funny lady.....

RIP...Talented lady
    Indestructible....Determination that is incorruptible
    From the other side....A terror to behold
    Annihilation will be unavoidable....Every broken enemy will know
    That their opponent had to be invincible......Take a last look around while you're alive
    I'm an indestructible master of war

A very talented actress, her scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure was priceless. RIP Jan.

Ok screw this "undisclosed serious illness" bullshit!! What was it that killed her? I hope she RIP. And let's not forget she also played Dixie, the wife of Jiminy Glick (Martin Short) and mother to their two boys, Matthew and Modine.

Her Hillary and Tammy Faye were great. Only 57, sad. No cause of death yet.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light......Dylan Thomas

She was also the Alamo tour guide on Pee-wee's Big Adventure!
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gox5V3VL1rtfnc7o1_500.gif
    Abandon all hope.

Funny lady - RIP.
    Teacher: Do you know how to play baseball?
    Student: Yes, I've read the rules.
    Teacher: OK - now, do you know how to think?
    https://youtu.be/IazkojLa6mE

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Ok screw this "undisclosed serious illness" bullshit!! What was it that killed her? I hope she RIP. And let's not forget she also played Dixie, the wife of Jiminy Glick (Martin Short) and mother to their two boys, Matthew and Modine.
    Yeah, I'm with you, she was only 57, what killed her? I remember when Debralee Scott died, they first listed it as "natural causes." That's the kind of thing they say about old people. Scott was only 52.

This was a surprise, she really kept whatever she was suffering from private.

Though I hated the Sweeney Sisters, she did have quite a few memorable other roles on SNL. Her Hillary was withering. She could be very funny. What a shame that she died so young.

I saw her on this women of SNL special not too long ago. She looked really really bad, like she might have had a stroke. Loved her on 3rd Rock from the Sun. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    A very talented actress, her scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure was priceless. RIP Jan.

This is so strange; I was *just* thinking about her out of nowhere yesterday, way before the news broke. I had been watching an 80's movie with Phil Hartman, and was reading up on him and her auditioning at the same time for SNL. Then, I thought of her in Pee Wee, as the tour guide at the Alamo. The best was how she was chomping her gum throughout the whole tour, and then took it out at the very last minute when she was thanking the crowd on her tour!

Of course, in that movie, she uttered the immortal lines, "There's no basement at the Alamo!"
    "The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse..."

Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    This is so strange; I was *just* thinking about her out of nowhere yesterday, way before the news broke. I had been watching an 80's movie with Phil Hartman, and was reading up on him and her auditioning at the same time for SNL. Then, I thought of her in Pee Wee, as the tour guide at the Alamo. The best was how she was chomping her gum throughout the whole tour, and then took it out at the very last minute when she was thanking the crowd on her tour!

Of course, in that movie, she uttered the immortal lines, "There's no basement at the Alamo!"
    You might be clairvoyant or just a sensitive. Does it happen often?
    Indestructible....Determination that is incorruptible
    From the other side....A terror to behold
    Annihilation will be unavoidable....Every broken enemy will know
    That their opponent had to be invincible......Take a last look around while you're alive
    I'm an indestructible master of war

Such sad news about a very talented lady!

I don't know anything about the CoD, but I do know that Ms. Hooks and I shared a mutual friend.
    The friend recently mentioned that Jan was a "troubled soul," which could be interpreted a multitude of ways.
    Whatever those troubles were, I do hope she's at peace now...

I'm sad to hear that she was troubled. It seems like that's an occupational hazard for many brilliant comedians.

Someone tweeted (Jon Lovitz, I think?) that she was vastly underrated. I totally agree. While I too thought the Sweeney sister thing was over the top, she really would disappear into a character no matter how "small." I remember she played a waitress in a brief skit (narrated by Willie Nelson) called "The History of White Trash in America." She really nailed it.

For me, Jan Hooks' performances set the bar of excellence for female SNL performers. For all of the acclaim they receive, I never felt that Tina Fey or Amy Poehler achieved that level. For example, when Jan played Tammy Faye Baker, she really BECAME Tammy Faye Baker. Whenever I seen Tina F. play Sarah Palin, the joke always seemed to be "See!? Doesn't Tina Fey looks like Sarah Palin!!" Anyway, just my humble opinion....

She was very underrated.

Here are a bunch of her skits.. https://screen.yahoo.com/jan-hooks-snl-skits/
    Last edited by RiotBoots; 10-10-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gox5V3VL1rtfnc7o1_500.gif
    Abandon all hope.

You know, one of my favorite characters that Jan played was the Barfly in the People's Court skit where her daughter, played by Rosanne Arquette, had sold her soul to the devil (Jon Lovitz) for a beauty salon.

She was so awesome! It's funny, I almost wondered if she had died from what 2 other famous comedians died of, ovarian cancer. Guilda and Madeline Kahn both died of the disease so I wondered if she could have died from that but kept it quiet?
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Well, I'm shocked. She was my fave female SNLer.

RIP forever.

She and Phil Hartman are together again.

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

I just watched her in the Martin Short film playing his wife, she totally immersed herself in the part and became Dixie Glick. I knew it was Jan, but I didn't see "her", she WAS this woman. Vastly underrated is an understatement.

When I saw that she had passed I was so shocked....I loved her on SNL and Designing Women....RIP Ms Hook.
    I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing. Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    You know, one of my favorite characters that Jan played was the Barfly in the People's Court skit where her daughter, played by Rosanne Arquette, had sold her soul to the devil (Jon Lovitz) for a beauty salon.

She was so awesome! It's funny, I almost wondered if she had died from what 2 other famous comedians died of, ovarian cancer. Guilda and Madeline Kahn both died of the disease so I wondered if she could have died from that but kept it quiet?
    You would think she would go public to try and bring more attention to the issue. It's one of those cancers that a lot of people just don't think about. But then again everyone has their right to privacy. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough. I didn't care for her too much on SNL but she is a good comedian. I liked her a lot on 3rd Rock From the Sun. And I agree the skit on SNL where she was in People's Court was a classic.

RIP Jan.

Very talented. I am so sorry to hear this. R.I.P.
    "Never lie, steal or cheat...but if you must lie, then lie beside me all the nights of your life. If you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must cheat, then cheat death because I could not imagine a day without you by my side."

NOOOO! I loved her on SNL and Designing Women! This year SUCKS for celebrity deaths!!!
    ​"I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna."

~Layne Staley

Sad to hear this. RIP
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plan.

RIP DADDY 1/17/1925 - 5/26/2011
    RIP Momma 4/12/1930-5/13/2014

I really hope Victoria Jackson releases a statement. RIP Jan Hooks! I will always remember her being the sex pot on Third Rock from the Sun.

Victoria Jackson needs to be shot, execution style, in the back of the head.

She's just a dumb-ass "bobble head doll" that got strategically lucky during the course of life.

There's no such thing as talent. Just the opportunity and fertile ground to thrive it.
    <a href=http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3176&dateline=1396157644 target=_blank>http://www.findadeath.com/forum/imag...ine=1396157644</a>
    Dr. Wigglesworth Hijacks Andy Griffith Broadcast via WPXC in Jacksonville, Florida --->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9W4v7vNfFI&list=UU0Lga9ep13H65gs7nmwLdCQ

"Never go to bed with anger in your heart." ~ Seagorath

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Victoria Jackson needs to be shot, execution style, in the back of the head.

She's just a dumb-ass "bobble head doll" that got strategically lucky during the course of life.

There's no such thing as talent. Just the opportunity and fertile ground to thrive it.
    I don't disagree. She has said some terrible things about Jan in the past.

Wow!!! Whats up with these younguns' droppin' like flies? She was so awesome and vibrant. She made me wanna go to the The Alaaaammmooooo - Move Along, Move Along.....
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Wow!!! Whats up with these younguns' droppin' like flies? She was so awesome and vibrant. She made me wanna go to the The Alaaaammmooooo - Move Along, Move Along.....
    Can you say Adobe? AAADDDDOOOOOOOBBBEEEE.

The Grave of Jan Hooks

The photo is incorrect.
    The correct photo of her grave (with bio) can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoster2k View Post
    The photo is incorrect.
    The correct photo of her grave (with bio) can be found here.
    Welcome to the forum! I moved your thread here because this is where it belongs. We keep all topics under one heading on FAD.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12