Thread: Matthew Cowles

Matthew Cowles

Matthew Cowles, 69, best known for his recurring (and award-winning) role as oddly-endearing villain "Billy Clyde Tuggles" on the soap opera ALL MY CHILDREN, and husband of 30 years to Christine Baranski (father of their two daughters), died on May 22. The cause of death was not released, but some reports state that he was "surrounded by his family" so it doesn't seem to have been very sudden or unexpected. In this photo from his last appearance on AMC last year, he did not look all that well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/all-my-c...es-dies-at-69/

Not just a character actor, he was a bit of a character in real life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...es-age-69.html

He was so great at his role on AMC, I loved and hated him, lol. He will be missed....RIP
    I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing. Mae West

I had no idea till his death that he was married to Christine. And his first wife was "Estelle" from AMC. My introduction to AMC in the '70's was with Billy Clyde doing his craziness. Best bad guy ever on a soap. Yeah, loved and hated him too!

RIP Matt!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I had no idea till his death that he was married to Christine. And his first wife was "Estelle" from AMC. My introduction to AMC in the '70's was with Billy Clyde doing his craziness. Best bad guy ever on a soap. Yeah, loved and hated him too!

RIP Matt!
    Oh yes, Billy Clyde Tuggle- Pine Valley resident cray cray....I too remember him well. Had NO idea that he and Christine were married either.

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

It's been a few years, wasn't Billy Clyde a pimp?

Yes, Billy Clyde Tuggle was a pimp and he owned a nightclub called "Cyclops" in Pine Valley. He had a daughter called Emily Ann and was obsessed with Dixie Bird.

May Matthew Cowles RIP; I feel badly for his wife and daughters.

I can't believe Bill Clyde is gone. I remember finding out that he was married to Christine Baranski around the time she was on that Cybil Shepherd sitcom back in the mid 90's. I couldn't believe she was married to him. She had so much style and grace. But then I realized what a great actor he was on AMC. He really played that part well of Billy Clyde. He must have made her laugh a lot which is probably why they were married for so many years.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Christine Baranski what a real odd couple !,RIP Matthew Cowles

The first time saw Matthew Cowles as Billy Clyde was in the 70's, I was a young girl and my Grandma watched AMC every weekday without fail. Billy Clyde scared the crap out of me. The first time his character left and came back, Emily Ann was a teenager (about the same age as I was at the time)....how I loved Billy Clyde from that point forward. Through the years I remained a fan of AMC and would watch it from time to time when I was off from work or had a day off from college in the shows last years. The last 2 years of AMC, I would program every episode on my DVR. I was even a loyal fan and follower of the new AMC and was so thrilled to see good old Billy Clyde again. Shame the new AMC online version didn't work out but it was so great to see Matthew Cowles as Billy Clyde one last time.

I too found out he was married to Christine Baranski when there was an article about her for that Cybil Shepard show, I thought they looked cute together. So sorry for his wife and their babygirls. When I saw him as Billy Clyde on the AMC online show, I thought he looked quite ill. He sounded like Billy Clyde, had the same snarl and crazy sense of humor....but he seemed quite physically weak, poor guy. Weird they're not releasing the cause of death, IMO.

Thank you for all those memories of watching you as Billy Clyde Tuggle with my Grandma, Mr Cowles. May you RIP.

RIP Mathew Cowles. He was a hoot on AMC. Remember his red bathtub? My Dad was a businessman and he and a bunch of his friends had major crushes on Susan Lucci and would all meet at the café across the street from his office to watch AMC every day. When the Billy Clyde Tuggle character was added, they all screamed with laughter and he had an instant fan club of all these big, burly men. To the end of his days, my Dad would mention Billy Clyde and laugh.