Thread: Mary Blackford 1914-1937

Mary Blackford 1914-1937

Mary was a blonde actress who appeared in just three films before her untimely demise. Her best known role was as Phyllis Dean in the Shirley Temple short 'Merrily Yours'. In 1934 she was paralyzed from the neck down in a traffic accident. A benefit dance was held for her and Will Rogers helped to pay her medical bills, but sadly she died from the after effects three years later.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085683/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

'Merrily Yours' if you fancy watching it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1WQvdp_vVY

I couldn't find anything on the 'traffic accident' but would like to know more if anybody can source any info

How sad, and so young. She might have had a promising career. This was all I could find on her accident.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

She reminds me of Dorothy Dell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Dell

Poor Mary, how sad and tragic. Only 23 years old. He only other sibling (it seems) was her brother, who only outlived her by 16 years and died at 46 years old. Their father predeceased them when he passed away in 1923 but their mother outlived them both, she died in 1963. She outlived her children, how horrifically sad.

blackc.jpga few additional images of MARY BLACKFORD ....blacka.jpg all from the mid 1930s blackd.jpg
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

What a very sad story her life was . She just never caught a break with anything, As usual great pictures Kelt ( Boy she had great legs ) You always find the best ones. And Mansfield 67 thanks for finding the accident report on Mary. You are both very resourceful people.
    And Vlad -- I love these less than famous actors coming back to life in your posts. Thanks

mary was injured in an auto accident on 09/26/1934 in Los Angeles Ca. the automobile she was a passenger in hit a light pole at santa monica and hoover and she was paralyzed from the neck down. i obtained info from her death certificate, one thing i have never found is who she was riding with, that fact has been conspiculously left out of news reports and her death certificate.

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

She did have great legs. She was also a classic beauty,. I think starlets from that era as well as the 40s were all classic beauties, not like the starlets of today.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will" ~From the Wiccan Rede~

Too young to die, glad I live here in 2015.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Damn...she had legs all the way up to her neck it seems
    Well you say that you've been here in this life and time, You say it's no good here, but you say that so fine
    You reach for your winnings, an angelic excuse, Round them you act humble, still you never refuse
    You better tell all your people to watch for a sign, Make them glad they are living in this life and time
    The angels have fallen, they've all gone away, It's you that must find them by living each day