Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 121

Thread: Cary Grant

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    351

    Cary Grant

    Archibald Leach aka Cary Grant...what an actor. I didn't see a thread for him on here. His movies were all great, amazing range. From comedies to thrillers, he could do it all. And the guy oozed sex appeal. Ian Flemming had him in mind when he created James Bond. North by Northwest was one of my all time favorites.

    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    86
    He was even the favorite to play James Bond, but since he was getting a bit old the producers knew that signing him to the part would mean he would only make one film as Bond, so they didn't do it. A classic actor that to me defines the word "moviestar". A Man with class, charm, charisma and talent.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,415
    I love him in An Affair to Remember I could watch it over and over.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Now this man had Class! Handsome doesnt even come close...... swoon......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    801
    Several years before he died, Cary Grant began a "lecture" tour and we got to see him when he came to Cleremont Colleges. Mr Grant was still a hunk at that age and his talk was very interesting. He seemed frank and honest in answering questions. One person asked him about Mae West and Grant replied if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Then, he asked for another question. I guess that says it all!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    bluegrass state
    Posts
    2,768
    In "Some Like it Hot" Tony Curtis pretended to be a millionaire for M.M. It was a hysterical parody of Cary Grant. He said in an interview some years ago that was who he kept in mind for that character's part. Watch it if you can. He was priceless doing that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,001
    " Arsenic and Old lace ".....still laugh my ass off in that one....truly a classic...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Several years before he died, Cary Grant began a "lecture" tour and we got to see him when he came to Cleremont Colleges. Mr Grant was still a hunk at that age and his talk was very interesting. He seemed frank and honest in answering questions. One person asked him about Mae West and Grant replied if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Then, he asked for another question. I guess that says it all!!!
    Great anecdote!
    i love most of his movies, my favorites being Bringing up baby, His girl Friday,Charade, And Affair to Remember and North by Northwest.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,024
    Well know homosexual? i guess that people like Rock Hudson or Monty Clift were well know homosexuals, but Cary?? I dont buy it. Maybe bisexual but not homosexual.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,446
    My personal Grant favorite was "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In a happy place!
    Posts
    21,260
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Well know homosexual? i guess that people like Rock Hudson or Monty Clift were well know homosexuals, but Cary?? I dont buy it. Maybe bisexual but not homosexual.
    You are right Lee- Bisexual... yes... well known homosexual... no.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    So is it true he never said, Judy, Judy, Judy?

    I just remember Gomer doing his Cary Grant's impression in TAGS saying that, then I read somewhere he never said it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,078
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Several years before he died, Cary Grant began a "lecture" tour and we got to see him when he came to Cleremont Colleges. Mr Grant was still a hunk at that age and his talk was very interesting. He seemed frank and honest in answering questions. One person asked him about Mae West and Grant replied if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Then, he asked for another question. I guess that says it all!!!


    [SIZE=5]O[/SIZE]ne of the main 'bones of contention' that GRANT held was
    that MAE WEST always claimed that she'd 'discovered him'. Her version was that she saw him on the [SIZE=3]P[/SIZE]aramount lot
    and said, "I want him in my movie !"

    In actuality, GRANT was already under a short term contract to [SIZE=3]P[/SIZE]aramount and had over a half dozen films under his belt before he was cast in MAE'S film [SIZE=3]SHE DONE HIM WRONG[/SIZE], though they were all in minor roles.
    GRANT soon became one of the first actors to work without a studio contract which turned out to be very fortuitous for him.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    So is it true he never said, Judy, Judy, Judy?

    I just remember Gomer doing his Cary Grant's impression in TAGS saying that, then I read somewhere he never said it?

    i think that was goober!!! lol!
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,524
    Gay? well he did live with Randolph Scott, and Scott seem to be in pictures with him even if he was out on a date. Who did Cary marry that was a lesbian?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,155
    They just had a special on Cary Grant on TMC- I haven't watched it yet. I think he was so handsome!
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

    RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Gay? well he did live with Randolph Scott, and Scott seem to be in pictures with him even if he was out on a date. Who did Cary marry that was a lesbian?
    i think he was married to Dyan Cannon.... never heard she was a lesbian before...

    not that there's anything wrong with that!
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,747
    He was gorgeous, and a great actor, too, very underrated as an actor.
    His daughter with Diane Cannon is beautiful, it's one of those cases where she got the best of both in the looks department.
    Last edited by FloridaDeathHag; 11-08-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    What do you mean, what do I mean?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iGhqDHlWE

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hole in the wall, ca.
    Posts
    333
    I loved Cary Grant in Monkey Business, with Ginger Rogers (Marilyn played a secretary). It was such a cute movie.
    [SIZE=3]Erin[/SIZE]

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,768
    I loved CG both in dramas and comedies. They don't come any handsomer or suave than him.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,078

    [SIZE=7]CARY GRANT[/SIZE]
    January 18, 1904- Novmeber 29,1986







    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=1667

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hale, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    382
    yes very nice looking...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    He was something special.....they dont make them like that anymore.class. Pure class.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hale, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    382
    swoon!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Holy Land (Texas)
    Posts
    5,096
    The scene I can't forget is in Bringing Up Baby...Hepburn stole his clothes and, in desperation, found one of Hepburn's robes and answered the door wearing it. The elderly woman asked Grant what he was doing dressed like that and Grant jump up and shouted something like "I just went gay!".
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

    Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amsterdam, Sin City of the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,200
    One of my favourite moviestars of all time. I just love His Girl Friday and Arcenic and old lace. Tall, dark, handsome, funny and a dimple in his chin (big sigh)

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by TobbeJ View Post
    He was even the favorite to play James Bond, but since he was getting a bit old the producers knew that signing him to the part would mean he would only make one film as Bond, so they didn't do it. A classic actor that to me defines the word "moviestar". A Man with class, charm, charisma and talent.
    That would have made for an interesting film, even if only for one movie!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Good ole Superficial So Cal
    Posts
    4,307


    Yummy...:P

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    i think he was married to Dyan Cannon.... never heard she was a lesbian before...

    not that there's anything wrong with that!
    I would have thought Barbara Hutton, his second wife, was a lesbian before Dyan Cannon.

    Anyway. Cary was gorgeous. Funny. Great Actor. Marvelous personality. Always one of my favorites - I still miss him. Stars today just don't even come close.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,225
    So is it true that he was bi-sexual? Did he only the one child?
    My Posse's On Broadway

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    So is it true that he was bi-sexual? Did he only the one child?
    Yeah, just the one child - whom Cary absolutely adored. Jennifer was the main reason he retired from films - he wasn't young when she was born, and he said he wanted to spend time just being a father without having the distraction of making movies.

    I don't know if he was truly bisexual, as opposed to youthful experimenting. The rumor is that he dallied with Randolph Scott when they shared a apartment as young actors. I've never heard a rumor about Grant and anyone other man, though. He seemed to have his hands full with the five wives.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,346
    Carey Grant was goodlookin. I liked Arsenic and Old Lace.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, Michigan
    Posts
    1,945
    Great actor...loved him in "The Philadelphia Story" with Katie Heburn, Jimmy Stewart & Ruth Hussey.
    I am reading a biography of him by Mark Eliot...good read. Alot of background on that man..he lived a complex life.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    3,669
    sinatra presents Lifetime Award to Grant:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Zijgn-c9w&feature=user

  35. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,072

    100% Top Grade A...

    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    Archibald Leach aka Cary Grant...what an actor. I didn't see a thread for him on here. His movies were all great, amazing range. From comedies to thrillers, he could do it all. And the guy oozed sex appeal. Ian Flemming had him in mind when he created James Bond. North by Northwest was one of my all time favorites.

    This guy is the greatest. North By Northwest, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home (with another fav of mine, Myrna Loy), The Bachelor And The Bobbysoxer, Gunga Din, The Philadelphia Story, Topper. Geeeeezzzz! Just a partial list of movies this guy did. True class. Watch for Tony Curtis imitating him in Some Like It Hot.


  36. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mentor, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,072

    Hey Anng...Watch Goob take off on Carry Grant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    So is it true he never said, Judy, Judy, Judy?

    I just remember Gomer doing his Cary Grant's impression in TAGS saying that, then I read somewhere he never said it?
    Actually, it was Goober that does the Judy,Judy,Judy "take off" on Mr. Grant. I think it was the hilarious "Fun Girls" episode.


  37. #37
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    348
    Gary Grant was in some great films. North by Northwest; Penny Serenade; An Affair to Remember; To Catch a Thief; etc, etc etc - very under-rated IMO. Love Affair to Remember - always cry at the end.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Staten Island NY
    Posts
    577
    I just love Arsenic and Old Lace

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Valley of the Perpetual Sun
    Posts
    1,235
    John Cleese's character in the film A Fish Called Wanda was named Archie Leach, a reference to Grant's legal birth name.

    My fav was I Was a Male War Bride with Ann Sheridan
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    In "Some Like it Hot" Tony Curtis pretended to be a millionaire for M.M. It was a hysterical parody of Cary Grant. He said in an interview some years ago that was who he kept in mind for that character's part. Watch it if you can. He was priceless doing that.
    I always thought that had to be who he'd had in mind whilst playing that part: very cool!

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post


    [SIZE=5]O[/SIZE]ne of the main 'bones of contention' that GRANT held was
    that MAE WEST always claimed that she'd 'discovered him'. Her version was that she saw him on the [SIZE=3]P[/SIZE]aramount lot
    and said, "I want him in my movie !"

    In actuality, GRANT was already under a short term contract to [SIZE=3]P[/SIZE]aramount and had over a half dozen films under his belt before he was cast in MAE'S film [SIZE=3]SHE DONE HIM WRONG[/SIZE], though they were all in minor roles.
    GRANT soon became one of the first actors to work without a studio contract which turned out to be very fortuitous for him.
    Hmm, I'd still consider that a "discovery" not in the fullest sense of the word. Despite his having been in bit parts Mae gave him a couple of major roles taking him from a virtual unknown to a big league player. Something must have happened if ya ask me...

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    242
    She refers to him in this interview in '76. Even then, WOW.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NZePWVaWy0

  43. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlantic coastal
    Posts
    1,029
    Cary Grant, sharp dressed dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W5v8qvyPmg

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Good ole Superficial So Cal
    Posts
    4,307
    I'm enjoying reading this thread. I grew up on all these old movies, just reading the titles are bring up some great memories.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,906
    Yes Cary was a good looking man...Hard to say which one of his wives were bi sexual. I do agree Barbara Hutton would probably be the one I would say...Not Dyan. I do believe he was Bi sexual. From Wikipedia

    Rumors regarding sexual orientation
    Throughout his time in Hollywood, Grant was rumored to be either homosexual or bisexual. Early in his career he was a roommate of the openly gay silent star William Haines.[10] In 1932, he met fellow actor Randolph Scott on the set of Hot Saturday. The two shared a rented beach house, known as "Bachelor Hall", on and off for twelve years. In 1944, Grant and Scott stopped living together but remained close friends throughout their lives. Rumors ran rampant at the time that Grant and Scott were lovers. In 1957, Grant's English chauffeur claimed to have been in a sexual relationship with Grant. Grant immediately filed a lawsuit against him. The driver attempted suicide.[11]
    In their biographies of Grant, Marc Eliot, Charles Higham and Roy Moseley contend that Grant was bisexual. Higham and Moseley claim that Grant and Scott were seen kissing in a public car park outside a social function both attended in the 1960s. It has even been suggested that Grant and Scott were married in a secret ceremony in Mexico.[12] Randolph Scott's son Christopher refuted these rumors. Following the death of his father in 1987, Christopher wrote a book, Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott? in which he denied that his father was homosexual. According to Darwin Porter's biography Brando Unzipped, Grant also had an affair with Marlon Brando in the early 1950s.[13]
    Homosexual screenwriter Arthur Laurents indicated that Grant was bisexual. In his memoir, he says, Grant "told me he threw pebbles at my window one night but was luckless—I wasn't home. ... his eyes and his smile implied that ... he would have liked doing what we would have done had I been home.[14] William J. Mann's book Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969 recounts how photographer Jerome Zerbe spent "three gay months" in the movie colony taking many photographs of Grant and Scott, "attesting to their involvement in the gay scene." Zerbe says that he often stayed with the two actors, "finding them both warm, charming, and happy."[15]
    Others, however, deny the rumors. In a 2004 interview, Grant's fifth wife, Barbara, says of the rumored Grant-Scott relationship "It wasn't the case at all. In fact, the house that they had down on the beach was known to have women going in and out like running water."[16] Grant himself always denied the rumors, saying "If someone can't find anything bad to say about you, you are a tightwad or a homosexual."[17] When comedian Chevy Chase joked about Grant being gay in a television interview with Tom Snyder in 1980 ("Oh, what a gal!") Grant sued him for slander; they settled out of court.[18] Grant complained to writer/director Peter Bogdanovich about the Chevy Chase incident, emphatically insisting that while he had many gay friends, including Cukor, William Haines, and costume designer Orry-Kelly, and had nothing against homosexuals, he was not one himself.[19] However, he did admit in an interview that his first two wives had accused him of being a homosexual.[20]

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Yes Cary was a good looking man...Hard to say which one of his wives were bi sexual. I do agree Barbara Hutton would probably be the one I would say...Not Dyan. I do believe he was Bi sexual. From Wikipedia

    Rumors regarding sexual orientation
    Throughout his time in Hollywood, Grant was rumored to be either homosexual or bisexual. Early in his career he was a roommate of the openly gay silent star William Haines.[10] In 1932, he met fellow actor Randolph Scott on the set of Hot Saturday. The two shared a rented beach house, known as "Bachelor Hall", on and off for twelve years. In 1944, Grant and Scott stopped living together but remained close friends throughout their lives. Rumors ran rampant at the time that Grant and Scott were lovers. In 1957, Grant's English chauffeur claimed to have been in a sexual relationship with Grant. Grant immediately filed a lawsuit against him. The driver attempted suicide.[11]
    In their biographies of Grant, Marc Eliot, Charles Higham and Roy Moseley contend that Grant was bisexual. Higham and Moseley claim that Grant and Scott were seen kissing in a public car park outside a social function both attended in the 1960s. It has even been suggested that Grant and Scott were married in a secret ceremony in Mexico.[12] Randolph Scott's son Christopher refuted these rumors. Following the death of his father in 1987, Christopher wrote a book, Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott? in which he denied that his father was homosexual. According to Darwin Porter's biography Brando Unzipped, Grant also had an affair with Marlon Brando in the early 1950s.[13]
    Homosexual screenwriter Arthur Laurents indicated that Grant was bisexual. In his memoir, he says, Grant "told me he threw pebbles at my window one night but was luckless—I wasn't home. ... his eyes and his smile implied that ... he would have liked doing what we would have done had I been home.[14] William J. Mann's book Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969 recounts how photographer Jerome Zerbe spent "three gay months" in the movie colony taking many photographs of Grant and Scott, "attesting to their involvement in the gay scene." Zerbe says that he often stayed with the two actors, "finding them both warm, charming, and happy."[15]
    Others, however, deny the rumors. In a 2004 interview, Grant's fifth wife, Barbara, says of the rumored Grant-Scott relationship "It wasn't the case at all. In fact, the house that they had down on the beach was known to have women going in and out like running water."[16] Grant himself always denied the rumors, saying "If someone can't find anything bad to say about you, you are a tightwad or a homosexual."[17] When comedian Chevy Chase joked about Grant being gay in a television interview with Tom Snyder in 1980 ("Oh, what a gal!") Grant sued him for slander; they settled out of court.[18] Grant complained to writer/director Peter Bogdanovich about the Chevy Chase incident, emphatically insisting that while he had many gay friends, including Cukor, William Haines, and costume designer Orry-Kelly, and had nothing against homosexuals, he was not one himself.[19] However, he did admit in an interview that his first two wives had accused him of being a homosexual.[20]
    Pardon my french, but Chevy Chase is an asshole. I don't know what that guy has against homosexuals but he seriously needs to focus all of that extra energy on his own crappy career.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    360
    The whole "Cary Grant is gay thing" is just gossip. Chevy Chase jokingly said on TV that CG was gay and CG sued him and won for $100,000.00. Now that CG is dead it is chic to repeat any kind of bad mouthing since dead people can't defend themselves. Ask Chevy.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Good ole Superficial So Cal
    Posts
    4,307
    *sigh* I have "People Will Talk" just in from my Blockbuster.com, I hope I can get the hubz to watch it with me tonight. I love that CG film, it tackles issues well before it's time. *sigh*

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,554
    I've read heard both - I think he was bi. He was suave and so wonderful, I really don't care!
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    My personal Grant favorite was "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".

    ditto's dj!
    pull the string!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •