Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Candy

John Candy was funny in Stripes, which I believe was one of his earliest roles. His movies were funny and he is missed to this day. I remember his anniversary of his death every year.

Splash is the first MOVIE I remember him in.....anybody recall anything earlier ?

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

OOPS.....I had a stuck on stupid moment.....ignore my last question please !!

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I like the movie, " The great outdoors " That was the name of it right when they shot the bear in the ass? Wow I haven't seen that movie in forever
    Youre correct. I love that movie and have it on tape. John Candy was my favorite comedian. What was the name of the movie were he is dressed as a woman with Big Girl Dont Cry playing in the back ground? I think Chevy Chase was also in it.

Great actor=Great loss

Rest in Peace Big Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I liked his Divine impersonation on SCTV. I heard he was once was a cokehead but had been clean for a long time when he died.
    Somebody emailed this to me a few xmases ago. Its mildly humorous,
    Sorry, John Candy was never a "cokehead".
    His weakness was food, cigarettes (way too many of those...up to 4 packs a day) and drinking although he was not an alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Sorry, John Candy was never a "cokehead".
    His weakness was food, cigarettes (way too many of those...up to 4 packs a day) and drinking although he was not an alcoholic.
    I never heard he was a smoker! i did hear he really had a eating problem!

No doubt the weight did him in!

To bad his was great Comic!!!

I liked his two roles as brother and sister in NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. The earliest thing I remember seeing him in was "1941".
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Wow he's been dead nearly 13 yrs already! I didn't know he was only 44 either when he died!

John Candy was an incredible talent. Just incredible.

He was awesome in all his movies, but my favorites are Splash, Planes, Trains and Automobiles (A Thanksgiving must every year) and Cool Runnings.

We miss you big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I liked his two roles as brother and sister in NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. The earliest thing I remember seeing him in was "1941".
    Yeah! I had forgotten about that......too funny.

Yeah one of my all time fav's is Planes Trains, and like Lisa... every Thanksgiving I gotta watch it. I even have the movie poster framed in my bedroom... John was one of those people you knew was a nice guy just by hearing him speak for 5 seconds.

Also loved the scene where he's sitting at the table and McCauley Culkin is hammering with questions..
    Uncle Buck: What's with the 20 questions?
    McCauley: I'm a kid..that's my job.
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

The Greatout Doors is the best movie !!!!!!! I love it to this day !!!! I really need to buy it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    Great actor=Great loss

Rest in Peace Big Guy.
    Nothing But Trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    Youre correct. I love that movie and have it on tape. John Candy was my favorite comedian. What was the name of the movie were he is dressed as a woman with Big Girl Dont Cry playing in the back ground? I think Chevy Chase was also in it.

woops! wrong quote...

Nothing But Trouble

i figured id add these pics, over the weekend i rode out to the homes where they filmed amityville horror (2005) and home alone, and Uncle Buck. I posted the home alone and uncle buck as they were relevant to john candy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i asked earlier where mr candy lived, i found out it was at 1630 Mandeville Canyon in Brentwood

Are their any pictures of his home?

You know he was the voice of one of the characters from the HBO sci fi movie HEAVY METAL! I loved John candy he was awesome like a big teddy bear.
    ~ Life asked death "why do people love me but hate you? to which Death replied "because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth"~

I was so shocked to hear he had died. What a terrible loss... He was so funny.
    ♥♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I like the movie, " The great outdoors " That was the name of it right when they shot the bear in the ass? Wow I haven't seen that movie in forever
    "Big! Big! Big bear! Chase! Big bear chase!" I LOVE that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I liked him in cool runnings.
    I am watching that movie at the moment. I always use a line from it, it's not a John Candy line though. It's the "Hey, mon, you dead?" line.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    After his death, it came out that John Candy used to donate a sizeable portion of his acting income to a children's charity in whatever city he happened to be filming in. He did so quietly, without fanfare.

A receptionist at the studio I work at told me that John used to give flowers to the ladies at reception whenever he would drop by to record voice-overs. He was truly a class act and made people feel special.

I miss him. The world needs more John Candys.
    Amen! That brought tears to my eyes when I read that. He just as this presence about him that he was a caring man.

RIP John~Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog0728 View Post
    i asked earlier where mr candy lived, i found out it was at 1630 Mandeville Canyon in Brentwood
    If you put that address in Google Maps you can kind of see it (well the roof and yard, anyway).

It's sad to think that, that man went off to film in Mexico and he never came home.

He was wonderful in the truest sense of the word.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Uncle Buck, classics in my DVD library! Love John & miss him a lot

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE
    Rest in peace sweet baby Caylee. The world loves you and will see to it that you get the justice you deserve.

I have to agree that he was a GREAT talent. Its just a shame he punctuated his career with "Wagons East".

OMG when I was a kid there was an animated kids show called Candy Camp or something like that where John Candy was a camp counselor and he heven did the voice for it! Does anyone remember that from the early 90's?

Hey Eyes .. I remember that show .. I used to watch that all the time .. I thought it was from the late 80s though, but I could be wrong .. maybe just around the turn of the decade.. LOL glad I am not the only one who remembers that!!

Hey folks.I too remember that show.Man that was a long time ago!! Wonder why it didnt last that long?

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I loved him in Uncle Buck, too! "Buck melanoma, I'm moley Russel's wart'. LOL!
    I just finished watching Uncle Buck, and was coming here just to quote that line, hee!

John Candy seemed like a nice guy, very funny, sadly missed.
    Inside me, there's a skinny woman fighting to get out....but I can usually shut the bitch up with chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    ever hear of a ritual killing?
    gnaw on my niece's face like that in public again and you'll be one.
    love uncle buck
    Ha! That's a great line, I'd forgotten all about that movie. Wasn't he in Caddyshack or am I sorely mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Ha! That's a great line, I'd forgotten all about that movie. Wasn't he in Caddyshack or am I sorely mistaken?
    He wasn't in Caddyshack. But boy Caddyshack was a great movie.

I was watching Only the Lonely yesterday. That was a cute movie.
    peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I was watching Only the Lonely yesterday. That was a cute movie.
    I love that movie!

SCTV was great...many skits were pure comedy gold liked the Fishin' Magician, the skit where he "Blew Brooke Shields up real good!!" and the Five Neat Guys

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes1986 View Post
    OMG when I was a kid there was an animated kids show called Candy Camp or something like that where John Candy was a camp counselor and he heven did the voice for it! Does anyone remember that from the early 90's?
    wow i forgot all about the show,i use to watch that and right afterwards "hey dude"(crappy show now that i think about it) would come on.man that was a rad cartoon and yea he sure did do the voice work.i think it was still on the air when he died.

I don't think John had to die that is the sad part. I think his weight did him in.

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    wow i forgot all about the show,i use to watch that and right afterwards "hey dude"(crappy show now that i think about it) would come on.man that was a rad cartoon and yea he sure did do the voice work.i think it was still on the air when he died.
    Haha yeah Hey Dude was cool when I was a kid but now it's lame, and Salute Your Shorts or Welcome Freshman. Man I'm getting old, Nickelodeon was the shit back in the day
    You'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies...

That was a shocker to hear that he had passed away. I was reading somewhere I forget back than about his life and what he was like. He was a very depressed man because of his weight. he mentioned that after filming the mud wrestling scene in Stripes he was so humilated that he went into his trailer and cried. I think thats why I loved his movies TP and Automobiles. That movie made me think it was really about him and his life. I know thats stupid but he was a good guy and I am still shocked that hes not around anymore.

Guest Guest
    I miss him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayzo View Post
    I grew up loving John Candy in such gems as Uncle Buck, Great Outdoors, Home Alone (what, I was 10 when that came out, and that movie is fantasmic to ten year olds everywhere), Blues Brothers. I really enjoyed his performance in Cool Runnings. "Orange whip?"
    My family has quoted that part of Blues Brothers, forever! "Orange Whip? Orange Whip? 3 Orange Whips!" I don't know why, but it's funny - that's one of the things that was so special about him, is he made everything genuinely funny. And even when he did dramatic moments - like Planes, Trains, Automobiles & Uncle Buck, there's a couple scenes where he plays emotion, and it's enough to choke me up every time.

Armed & Dangerous, Stripes, Uncle Buck, Planes...., Great Outdoors, Summer Rental - I've watched them all so many times since I was a kid, and enjoy them as much as I did when I first saw them. They're almost like comfort food, ya know? Lotta great quotes from his movie lines too!

"Here's a quarter - why don't you go downtown & have a RAT, gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you ma'am".

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Does anyone remember when he was on second city television.He was a standout on that very talented cast.
    clean, that was my first experience with john candy. the old SCTV shows. they're all on youtube if you want a good laff. william b williams, the schmenges, all his characters. he was priceless!
    pull the string!

I miss John!

I really miss him too!! I never cease to watch his movies when they come on TV!! I love "Only the Lonely" .. he just plays a sweet, romantic guy in that movie!! "Uncle Buck" is by far my favorite movie and I love him in "Cool Runnings" .. pretty much anything he is in, any scene, brings a smile to my face!!

Up here he was especially well-liked because a) he was one of us, and b) he was so accessible. It wasn't unusual to see him out on the street chatting with people - everybody seemed to have a story about the time they ran into Johnn Candy...he was the owner (along with Wayne Gretzky) of our major pro football team - the Toronto Argonauts. It didn't last all that long though, for some reason - they sold it after a year or so, if I remember correctly.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I'll never forget him playing racket ball with Tom Hanks in "Splash." It epitomizes me to a "T"--taking a break after two minutes, smoking a cigarette and sitting on my beer cooler.........

God bless John; he is really missed.
    Yup - my favorite film of his as well. Him pretending he can speak Swedish and him fishing in the tank when Tom and Darryl escape. Priceless!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

Rest in Peace Big Guy!

Den

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledkitty View Post
    You know he was the voice of one of the characters from the HBO sci fi movie HEAVY METAL! I loved John candy he was awesome like a big teddy bear.
    You know, I had forgotten that! Yeah, he was Den! I also think he may have been one of the drugged out space pilots that crashed their ship at the end.
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

I first watched John Candy on SCTV..freaking hilarious. Johnny LaRue..Melonville lol Such a class act. Uncle Buck, Summer Rental and Canadian Bacon were my fav's.

John Candy was awsome! One of my favs is the Great Outdoors... "big bear, big bear, big bear chase me" Priceless!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    That was a shocker to hear that he had passed away. I was reading somewhere I forget back than about his life and what he was like. He was a very depressed man because of his weight. he mentioned that after filming the mud wrestling scene in Stripes he was so humilated that he went into his trailer and cried. I think thats why I loved his movies TP and Automobiles. That movie made me think it was really about him and his life. I know thats stupid but he was a good guy and I am still shocked that hes not around anymore.
    Sad he never got help for his weight problem...I am sure they didn't help.

Then again would Hollywood still have accepted him?

Poor guy was in a catch 22 situation.

I was working at a Toronto radio station when John Candy came by for an interview. I'd seen him around town a lot, at events and things, but this time I was shocked. He did not look well. He was huge and bloated. Add to that, he had this shaggy, awful beard. After the interview, from my office window, I watched him climb into his limo. He was off to the airport, then to a movie set in Mexico. Sad. Yes, the SCTV days... Even among those geniuses, his talent stood out.