Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1353606162
Results 3,051 to 3,094 of 3094

Thread: Christine Chubbuck

Despite how much we disagree, I suppose he feels it his right to keep it away from everyone. Still, the releasing of bits of it make his motivation highly suspect, in my opinion at least. It seems like there are 2 camps of Chubbuck hags, the 7/15 hags and the hags who genuinely want her memory preserved; not saying that the factions cannot overlap. In Steve's eyes we're all blood and guts
    enthusiasts. It all seems counterproductive to me. If the goal is to let her RIP doesn't it make sense that the more "verboten" something is, the more appealing it seems? I swear,the SCD hospital zoning episode is almost more of a "holy grail" than the final episode.

Quote Originally Posted by damndirtyape View Post
    Despite how much we disagree, I suppose he feels it his right to keep it away from everyone. Still, the releasing of bits of it make his motivation highly suspect, in my opinion at least. It seems like there are 2 camps of Chubbuck hags, the 7/15 hags and the hags who genuinely want her memory preserved; not saying that the factions cannot overlap. In Steve's eyes we're all blood and guts
    enthusiasts. It all seems counterproductive to me. If the goal is to let her RIP doesn't it make sense that the more "verboten" something is, the more appealing it seems? I swear,the SCD hospital zoning episode is almost more of a "holy grail" than the final episode.

I know someone who saw the full Suncoast Digest episode and they said it was pretty dull. I still want to see it, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael555 View Post
    I know someone who saw the full Suncoast Digest episode and they said it was pretty dull. I still want to see it, regardless.

I imagine its hard to make hospital construction exciting. I work at a hospital and don't find them all that exciting.

https://youtu.be/b3IuBHdM95k I posted this here since CC is the first story. Sorry I don't know how to make it a clickable link. My computer skills are very basic. Enjoy. Never mind wen I hit post it worked.

I'm ready for some new CC footage. The suicide tape bores me at this point. Been there, done that,
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I'm ready for some new CC footage. The suicide tape bores me at this point. Been there, done that,
    Yeah, if the tape has still yet to be released (I belong in that camp, just my opinion of course), I can't imagine it being much more graphic than depicted in Christine. Though I would like to see her news report leading up to that moment besides just the moment itself.

I would also like to see that Suncoast Digest 'Hospital' footage. Though, from the small pieces of footage we've seen, Rebecca Hall seems to have captured Christine quite well. I think when/if those two missing pieces come to light, I think the aura of mystery surrounding her will be lost and the whole thing can, finally, be put to rest.

The most important piece of information surrounding her is something we can never know; what was she thinking? What exactly was going through her mind that led her to do this. We can speculate but we will never really know the answer.
    Last edited by Michael555; 05-02-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Hey Everyone,
    Revisiting this after a decade long hiatus (researched this while in college) I have been looking for the police report and cannot seem to find it (there's bits of it here and there on this thread). If someone could send it to me, that would be fantastic. Like a few others have said, I am more interested in seeing more Suncoast Digest footage as opposed to THE episode.
    Thanks again!

Having those missing pieces would definitely help demystify CC and her legacy but, and maybe I'm a weirdo, I'm not sure if that wouldn't be a disservice to her. She is/was a person who does not deserve to be lost into history. Her story is compelling on so many different levels. Don't get me wrong, a full episode of SCD is basically my only dream in life at this point, not really but you get what I'm saying.

I wish someone would try to make something, a book, movie, documentary, about the other 29 years of her life. I can't speak for others here but, it seems that most of us aren't just looking to see some gore- hell, if someone offered to show me the 15 JUL 74 tape tomorrow I'd refuse- it seems we are interested in the person, compassionately nearly a love for her. And why not? Dollars to donuts a great number of us have been in a spot similar to how we believe she felt. I'm man enough to admit that I have.

I think someone earlier in this thread said that they knew someone that was actually writing a book about her right now; I think it was Aviatrix. Apparently there was a feature length documentary that could've been made out of that short documentary that was aired on E!. There was enough footage to make it into one, from what I remember, but it never happened.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would still be curious about her, even if those two pieces of footage came out; and I still would like to know the "whole" story. If it can ever truly be known.

This might be a bit of an odd comparison but I kind of see her in a slightly similar way as I see Sylvia Plath. Plath has a novel and two journals missing that could turn up in a few years at Emory University, both would give us some of the finer details of her last few years (as well as just having more of her wonderful writing) just as Christine's lost footage could, maybe, give us a little more insight into Christine herself. Sure, for both, we have sketchy details and second-hand information but there's a huge difference between that and actually seeing something (or in Plath's case, reading her thoughts and stories, in her own words) for yourself.

Though, I have to disagree with you. If someone presented me with the opportunity to see the tape, I would watch it. When I saw that short documentary in 2007, I had never heard of this story, and was dumbstruck. While the documentary was describing what happened, I recall having the curiosity of wanting to see this footage for myself; I'd never had the want to see something like that before but for whatever reason, this had struck a chord. I remember thinking, as the credits rolled, and there was the little caption about an injunction being placed: Please. The internet has everything.

Well here I am. Ten years later. And apparently, the internet doesn't have everything.

Edit: Saw this youtube comment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcWb-BvKrMk

yes i got a few responses just a few days later after i posted that...sorry i forgot to post what i learned. so about 3 people got back to me but only 1 remembers and said he saw the actual suicide. so i talked to this guy for about 30 minutes.. a 62 year old man. he said he saw it all and remembers a couple details that stood out the most. what he said was when she shot herself she fell forward. but she did not hit the desk hard like that (like in this video here). she also did not fall right to the floor after hitting her head (like in the video here). he said that she just fell on the desk where she remained laying over it. she stayed on the desk and he said that she looked like she was sleeping. he said he didnt recall any blood or damage, but the camera remained on her for several seconds before it cut away. he also mentioned that the camera was centered directly on her and that there was not an extra chair (as shown in this video here). he says he remembers enough of what he saw that he would be willing to bet money that this is definitely a fake. i have no reasons to doubt this man and what he says. hes an older gentleman so he spoke (wrote) politely, showed me respect, his responses to my questions were detailed, he showed compassion for the woman, was interested in my inquiry on the matter, and overall from what I gather I have to think he was trustworthy and telling the truth. i personally wanted him to confirm that this video was indeed authentic, but I have to think with complete conviction after we spoke that this is a hoax. maybe thats for the best.
    Last edited by Michael555; 05-11-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Not strange at all, a very apt comparison really. The lost Plath journals are something I have dreamed about for a long time too. I hope that whoever is writing the book finishes and gets it published. I would really love to see something positive about Chris. It's funny, but her death tape is the only piece of "forbidden footage" I have no desire to see. Probably because of the emotional attachment I have placed on her story. I first read about CC in 1998, when I was still in high school and super despondent. While researching public suicide, I read a little blurb about the incident in a book called, Killing For Culture and became obsessed with finding out more. Which I did. I was interested in it because I was planning on doing it. Reading the Quinn article changed it for me. I found it to be so cynical and accusatory, with not one drop of sympathy. Not knowing her or her true motivation I could only superimpose my own motivations, which were anger, loneliness, and the ability to control the narrative. Seeing that someone did it, and was still misunderstood and painted so negatively really bothered me..to the point of talking to my parents and getting the help I needed. In a macabre way, CC might have saved my life.

The only thing that gets me though, is that she wanted us to see it. I just don't think I could. I could not even watch the hoax tape until I was 100% convinced that it was a hoax. Full disclosure, I couldn't watch the end of the Christine movie either. I'm just happy that people are talking about her again. There's something about 2017 that needs Chris and her story. Maybe the constant bombardment of "fake news" or at least the accusations of it. Maybe the commercialization of journalism. I really don't know.

In case anyone is interested or has not seen it yet, the movie Christine is on Netflix.

Awwwww yeahhhhhh - weekend flick in full effect!!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by damndirtyape View Post
    Not strange at all, a very apt comparison really. The lost Plath journals are something I have dreamed about for a long time too.
    Here's an entire essay about the subject; It's a very interesting read: https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals...view/4514/4139

I hope that whoever is writing the book finishes and gets it published. I would really love to see something positive about Chris. It's funny, but her death tape is the only piece of "forbidden footage" I have no desire to see. Probably because of the emotional attachment I have placed on her story. I first read about CC in 1998, when I was still in high school and super despondent. While researching public suicide, I read a little blurb about the incident in a book called, Killing For Culture and became obsessed with finding out more. Which I did. I was interested in it because I was planning on doing it. Reading the Quinn article changed it for me. I found it to be so cynical and accusatory, with not one drop of sympathy. Not knowing her or her true motivation I could only superimpose my own motivations, which were anger, loneliness, and the ability to control the narrative. Seeing that someone did it, and was still misunderstood and painted so negatively really bothered me..to the point of talking to my parents and getting the help I needed. In a macabre way, CC might have saved my life.
    Oh I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to see it; just to imagine it is horrifying.

Oh yeah I would love to read an entire book about her; I'm not sure how much more there is to tell, though. It would be interesting to see if there's even more that we don't know.

When I heard about her story, I was also somewhat depressed, not extremely, but somewhat and then I began to slip further and further down and the help I received was...subpar, to say the least. I can understand how someone in the mid-70s, when the the medication wasn't there, and the stigma was so much worse...would end up doing something like this. To be fair to the people who were quoted in the Quinn article, a lot of it, I think, was a reaction to the method she chose to kill herself mixed in with the stigma of suicide and mental illness itself. I'm not saying that I agree with any of them of course, just that I understand why someone who doesn't understand mental illness, and hasn't went through the sheer hell of it, would react in this way.

I don't think it's the least bit macabre to say that CC may've saved your life. At least some good came out of it. I think a lot of good can come out of watching Christine (or reading about her), if only to give people who don't suffer from mental health problems to understand what it's like.

The only thing that gets me though, is that she wanted us to see it. I just don't think I could. I could not even watch the hoax tape until I was 100% convinced that it was a hoax. Full disclosure, I couldn't watch the end of the Christine movie either. I'm just happy that people are talking about her again. There's something about 2017 that needs Chris and her story. Maybe the constant bombardment of "fake news" or at least the accusations of it. Maybe the commercialization of journalism. I really don't know.
    Honestly, I think if Christine had better distribution, there definitely would've been a deeper conversation about the state of journalism today (not to mention, at the very least, an Oscar nomination for Rebecca Hall).

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Awwwww yeahhhhhh - weekend flick in full effect!!!
    Let us know your thoughts!

OMG... This movie makes me wanna stab myself in my eye. Soooooo slow and CC is so freakin' awkward, it's hard not to feel sorry for her.
    My Posse's On Broadway

The holy grail has been found.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1e9_1486714728

Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post

Good morning

That footage being the real deal is still up for debate.

Isn't this the same one we saw before? And decided it is most likely fake.

Yeah, but some people side on it being real and it's caused some tension.

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, and apologize if this has been posted before. From another site which is also debating the issue. Here is a comparison of the news desk of the station and the desk in the video. Pretty damn close if not identical.

Out of curiosity, of the 60+ pages, where would I find the debate over this?

Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry if I'm late to the discussion, and apologize if this has been posted before. From another site which is also debating the issue. Here is a comparison of the news desk of the station and the desk in the video. Pretty damn close if not identical.

Out of curiosity, of the 60+ pages, where would I find the debate over this?
    The H is the most dissimilar letter when comparing the photos. That alone has convinced some people it's fake, but some still aren't sure.

This video was leaked near the end of January 2017, right about the time the two movies on Christine came out. The discussion here begins on page 59.

Appreciate the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael555 View Post
    That footage being the real deal is still up for debate.

But from what I've read, when it aired, it faded to black. There wasn't a technical difficulties sign?

And from those pictures there's a discrepancy between the two: on the top, it's just a circle behind the WXLT logo, the bottom is made to look like a sun.
    Sorry, but maybe i didn't express my purpose correctly. There is another mismatch between original logo and the other one in alleged video.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smfr; 06-08-2017 at 11:10 AM.

But from what I've read, when it aired, it faded to black. There wasn't a technical difficulties sign?

And from those pictures there's a discrepancy between the two: on the top, it's just a circle behind the WXLT logo, the bottom is made to look like a sun.

Edit: Oh wait, that logo is on the camera next to Christine...it's certainly possible that logo was re-created...sorry for those who believe it's the real deal, I just don't buy it.
    Last edited by Michael555; 06-09-2017 at 04:31 AM.

Alright listen. I'm really not trying to be inflammatory here, I promise, but I really want somebody to acknowledge that nothing was present in the WXLT studio on July 15th 1974 that could have actually captured that footage, and therefore it has to be fake.

We've already noted that there are one or two inaccuracies in the set and the WXLT logo at the end, etc etc.
    But let's say for a second that a piece of footage emerges with absolutely NO inaccuracies regarding the events seen in the footage, whether it's on the set, on Christine herself, Christine's voice, the WXLT logo (or the whole 'did it fade-to-black' scenario), and the camera angle is the same as the one seen in the footage we're currently debating.

By definition, this hypothetical footage can automatically be proven as a 100% fake, because if ANYBODY saw it from that angle, it would have been a human who was standing in that spot. Not a camera. Because there wasn't one positioned there. And therefore, this cannot be legitimate footage of Christine's death. The exact same argument is the one that tells me the 'leaked footage' is also nothing but a clever fake.

I promise I'm not trying to start any fights and so I apologise if this comes across as rude or anything - I just haven't seen anyone other than myself and dycaite even acknowledge this (even if it was in a perhaps less-than-polite manner), let alone provide any kind of argument for or against it, despite how many times it's been brought up. I'm just really curious to hear other's opinions on this.

(all of the information regarding camera placement and angles can be found in the police file, I'm sure I posted the screenshots on here a while back (I may be wrong) but I'm happy to do so again)

Quote Originally Posted by itwbtc16 View Post
    Alright listen. I'm really not trying to be inflammatory here, I promise, but I really want somebody to acknowledge that nothing was present in the WXLT studio on July 15th 1974 that could have actually captured that footage, and therefore it has to be fake.

We've already noted that there are one or two inaccuracies in the set and the WXLT logo at the end, etc etc.
    But let's say for a second that a piece of footage emerges with absolutely NO inaccuracies regarding the events seen in the footage, whether it's on the set, on Christine herself, Christine's voice, the WXLT logo (or the whole 'did it fade-to-black' scenario), and the camera angle is the same as the one seen in the footage we're currently debating.

By definition, this hypothetical footage can automatically be proven as a 100% fake, because if ANYBODY saw it from that angle, it would have been a human who was standing in that spot. Not a camera. Because there wasn't one positioned there. And therefore, this cannot be legitimate footage of Christine's death. The exact same argument is the one that tells me the 'leaked footage' is also nothing but a clever fake.

I promise I'm not trying to start any fights and so I apologise if this comes across as rude or anything - I just haven't seen anyone other than myself and dycaite even acknowledge this (even if it was in a perhaps less-than-polite manner), let alone provide any kind of argument for or against it, despite how many times it's been brought up. I'm just really curious to hear other's opinions on this.

(all of the information regarding camera placement and angles can be found in the police file, I'm sure I posted the screenshots on here a while back (I may be wrong) but I'm happy to do so again)
    LOL
    "In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

New swatch? I didn't know they made them back then.
    "With a pet, you can just feel, you don't have to worry about hurting your pet's feelings or getting advice you don't want."

As I said I am not saying if it is real or not, Until I hear from A) Sally Quinn, B) Her Family) C.) The Person that released this, All I know it does look very similar to the one I saw wayyyy back when. It could be the real thing or it could be footage from the movie, made to look like the actual thing.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer.

I do think it's worth noting, though, that even if it comes to light that this footage is the same that you and others saw on the internet years back, that still doesn't mean it's the real deal (Pkstracy, I appreciate that you hinted at this by saying you weren't saying whether you thought it was real or not, I just wanted to put this thought out there for everyone, I'm not @ing you by any means )

I stated it looks similar, I didn't say it was the one I saw.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~

Definitely not the one I saw years ago. Not saying that makes this one wrong or the one I saw right, or either one one way or the other, just not the same. The one I saw, the victim slumped down slowly after the shot, which blew the hair up from the back of the head. Then a voice from the background said "very funny", before someone ran over and it went black.

Yep Duffy that is the one I saw, someone saying very funny, Christine..

Quote Originally Posted by duffyman View Post
    Definitely not the one I saw years ago. Not saying that makes this one wrong or the one I saw right, or either one one way or the other, just not the same. The one I saw, the victim slumped down slowly after the shot, which blew the hair up from the back of the head. Then a voice from the background said "very funny", before someone ran over and it went black.
    Could you describe in more detail what you saw? Did this video only feature the suicide or the minutes leading up to the actual suicide itself?

As best I recall, (we're talking 30 seconds or so of time from many year ago) it showed the "in keeping with" announcement, the gun comes out, the barrel disappears into her hair toward the back/side of her head, the shot, hair in the back flips out toward the right side of the screen. Then she takes a slow slide down her chair to the floor, a second goes by and you hear the "very funny Christine" line. screen goes black as someone walks in from the left.

Just a quick comment. I haven't been here due to health issues (again).

Personally, I don't think that Christine's family will release anything related to her suicide - that's just me, though. However, I would like to see the two movies that have been mentioned - and I may buy them at some point.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-16-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by duffyman View Post
    As best I recall, (we're talking 30 seconds or so of time from many year ago) it showed the "in keeping with" announcement, the gun comes out, the barrel disappears into her hair toward the back/side of her head, the shot, hair in the back flips out toward the right side of the screen. Then she takes a slow slide down her chair to the floor, a second goes by and you hear the "very funny Christine" line. screen goes black as someone walks in from the left.
    You saw the same one I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Just a quick comment. I haven't been here due to health issues (again).

Personally, I don't think that Christine's family will release anything related to her suicide - that's just me, though. However, I would like to see the two movies that have been mentioned - and I may buy them at some point.
    The owner of the station's widow has the tape, not Christine's family.

The widow of the station owner, gave it to a law firm for safe keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    The widow of the station owner, gave it to a law firm for safe keeping.
    Yeah sorry, lol, forgot to add that. I just meant she owned it rather than the Chubbuck family.

Maybe she'll need a buck or two and she'll offer it up.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Maybe she'll need a buck or two and she'll offer it up.
    Honestly, that's the only reason that I can come up with why it's being kept.

Hey guys. So far it's a dreary morning in Sarasota. It rained all day yesterday. Bout to head over to the station in an hour. I'll be at the Crescent Club tonight around 1030ish if anyone in the area wants to come and talk about our girl. Sorry if this post is disallowed.

Rest in peace dear Christine.
    Last edited by damndirtyape; 07-17-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Ohhh hope you took pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Ohhh hope you took pictures.
    I did. Not a lot to see really. Took some photos of her home (which, I found out is no longer owned by the family)and a few of old wxlt. I'm not sure what sort of business is occupying the space now but there are carcars in the gated lot 24/7. Unsurprisingly, the Herald-Trib made no mention of the incident all week. What is really cool, idk if any of y'all have been but if you swim a little ways over from the 12th public beach entrance you can cross over the rocks and there is a little sand bar that goes right up to the back steps of her old house. It's pretty neat really. I've been before but never went swimming as I am afraid of water haha. Met some fellow vacationers who were talking about Steve Irwin and remarking about public deaths. (apparently there was a school of stingrays in the area last week) I told them about the house that was basically towering above us. They hadn't heard of her before but were interested in her story.