Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 322

Thread: Italian Cruise Ship Runs Aground, Keels Over

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    239

    Italian Cruise Ship Runs Aground, Keels Over

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

    Rome (CNN)
    -- At least three people were killed and scores remain unaccounted for as a giant cruise ship keeled onto its side after running aground near the Italian island of Giglio on Friday night, local emergency officials said Saturday.
    Rescue teams worked through the night to evacuate more than 4,000 people from the Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, after it ran aground off of Italy's western coast.
    120114103149-italy-ship-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    120114102906-italy-ship-3-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    120114103016-italy-ship-2-horizontal-gallery.jpg



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    I often wonder about these cruise ships. The superstructure sits so high out of the water, it must be so difficult to keep the centre of gravity low.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,307
    This seems to happen alot. What I thought was curious is don't they have a route they
    take everytime? Did that sandbar just appear out of no where?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,763
    Why was the ship 2 1/2 miles off course???

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,584
    Captain of cruise ship that ran aground off Italy arrested: report
    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...rrested-report

    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

    Winston CXhruchill

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    This thread now belongs in Police Blotter. The captain was arrested for abandonment and possible manslaughter.

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/...ths/?hpt=hp_t1

    Snipped ...

    The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three people and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for abandoning ship and manslaughter, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.Abandoning ship is the more serious of the potential charges, authorities said.

    Sixty-nine people are missing, four declared dead, no muster drill prior to sailing, no mayday call when the ship struck the sandbar. BTW this ship is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines the cruise line never under consideration for us.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,709
    Hoo boy. Heads are going to roll on this one. R.I.P to the people who lost their lives.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Centennial State
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    This thread now belongs in Police Blotter. The captain was arrested for abandonment and possible manslaughter.

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/...ths/?hpt=hp_t1

    Snipped ...

    The Italian captain of the cruise ship that ran aground -- killing three people and injuring 20 more -- was arrested late Saturday and is being investigated for abandoning ship and manslaughter, said a local prosecutor in Grosetto, Italy.Abandoning ship is the more serious of the potential charges, authorities said.

    Sixty-nine people are missing, four declared dead, no muster drill prior to sailing, no mayday call when the ship struck the sandbar. BTW this ship is owned by Carnival Cruise Lines the cruise line never under consideration for us.
    It looks like the captain is in trouble for bailing early, did I read that right? I was hoping the charges were that he was drunk or on drugs, something that would explain why the ship hit the sandbar. That's what I am confused about.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    6,983
    as maritime legend the captin always goes down with the ship. This captin bailed out and is now in some serious shit. I first heard about this on CBS radio in thew car last night. They say the ship is listing. When I think of listing, makes me think its got a real lean to it, I see the pic of the ship and its way more then listing. Its on its side !

    The shoreline is so shallow it wont sink but had this been in the open water, it would have been history. It would be inbteresting to see how they upright this thing. Or if they call the boat a total loss. I believe the captins days of being in charge of a ship are over at this point. Even if hes not found guilty of any crime in this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    28,453
    I wonder if the pilot was doped, boozed, distracted or all three.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I wonder if the pilot was doped, boozed, distracted or all three.
    The pilot is only taken on board during entering and leaving harbour, not when cruising around the coastline.

    If however, by pilot, you mean the person commanding the ship, if the captain is not on the bridge, it is the officer of the day who has the bridge and command of the helm..
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,381
    From that link it says he was purposfully on that course.. so was he trying to do damage or just trying to get close to the island and not realize there were rocks there.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    4,344
    German TV news has been reporting that the ship may have passed unusually close to the island to send a greeting because many of the company's employees and their families live there.



    You be careful out among them English.
    "Wonder twin powers activate: form of a turd!" - how the infant Wonder Twins discovered their amazing superhuman gift.
    Don't mess with the banjo player - he's hard core, dude!
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    It looks like the captain is in trouble for bailing early, did I read that right? I was hoping the charges were that he was drunk or on drugs, something that would explain why the ship hit the sandbar. That's what I am confused about.
    The captain maintains he did not leave early, but reports from the crew and passengers state he did. Early claims by the captain state the navigational equipment failed and they were off course, (2.5-4 miles) yet he continued.

    This still doesn't explain why a mayday call wasn't placed, a request for help, why the captain didn't stop the ship and lower anchor rather than proceed, or why there was resultant panic and neither the crew nor the captain gave instructions to passengers to retrieve their life vests and depart the ship.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    We were on the bridge every morning when our ship docked in the Caribbean, great fun to see a ship brought in to port from the captain's station.

    Each and every time he maintained control of the ship as is customary.

    Port Pilots ...

    http://shipdetective.com/news/ship_news/port_pilots.htm
    The role of a pilot is that of an advisor. Contrary to common belief, the pilot does not take over command of the ship from the captain. The captain stays in command and is ultimately responsible for the ship. A pilot may assume the conduct of the ship, but only with permission of the master. As both the harbor pilot and captain have the same goal — the safety of the ship — the relationship is mutually courteous and professional.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Ok, I'll be a bunny.

    What has the pilot got to do with it? He/she wasn't mentioned in the story as far as I can recall.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Port pilots, airline pilots or ship pilots ...

    Who was piloting the ship when the error's, (plural) were made ...

    I saw mention of port pilots and tossed in a link with a comment. All responsibility for this ship belongs to the Costa Concordia Pilot.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Port pilots, airline pilots or ship pilots ...

    Who was piloting the ship when the error's, (plural) were made ...

    I saw mention of port pilots and tossed in a link with a comment. All responsibility for this ship belongs to the Costa Concordia Pilot.
    Ah ok, I did respond to cindyt's mention of pilots.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    239

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    28,453
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    The pilot is only taken on board during entering and leaving harbour, not when cruising around the coastline.

    If however, by pilot, you mean the person commanding the ship, if the captain is not on the bridge, it is the officer of the day who has the bridge and command of the helm..
    Okay, I didn't know all that.
    Last edited by cindyt; 01-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12




  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    28,453
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Ah ok, I did respond to cindyt's mention of pilots.
    HA!
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12




  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,128
    Good photos, how scary. I went on a cruise once, it was nice but out there on the dark ocean at night I often wondered what would happen if there was a disaster, how would everyone react.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Good photos, how scary. I went on a cruise once, it was nice but out there on the dark ocean at night I often wondered what would happen if there was a disaster, how would everyone react.
    Interesting. I was in the NAVY and sailing at night in the middle of the ocean, all I could think of was how wonderful the stars looked as I lay on the deck staring at them.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    HA!
    It's all Cindy's fault ... Giada never does anything wrong, (right) ...

    Disaster a nightmare for cruise industry

    http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...116-1q1xj.html

    Snipped ...

    "This is a PR (public relations) nightmare for the Costa brand," said Jaime Katz, equity analyst from investment research company Morningstar in Chicago.
    "The question is, when that's been stripped out, whether the Carnival brand will be tarnished."
    The accident could hardly have come at a worse time for the group, with the global economic crisis already making potential cruise customers nervous about their jobs and finances.

    The Italian Air Force in helicopters rescued the passengers, those who didnt make it screaming into the few lifeboats, or who swam ashore. I can't imagine this company with enough gall to win a PR blitz.

    (I haven't been out on a dive boat the last few years, and damn after seeing the underwater photos I miss it)


    Last edited by Giada; 01-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    Obviously this freakin freaks me out. I am amazed that so few lost their lives.

    In the article they seem to think the cooks & shop keepers should not need to know how to pilot (oh noes! There's the word again!) the lifeboats. How stupid os that?? All employees should be trained.

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    6,983
    The boat looks almost like the SS Posiden in that movie after it flipped

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    I get the impression that although Carnival owned the company, Costa still ran the vessel itself.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Olivenhain, California
    Posts
    3,462
    Reports this morning by corporate, Carnival/Costas state the captain was responsible. Earlier reports have said it's common practice to do a flyby of the island, Giglio. In this instance the captain was taking the ship close to the island so his head waiter could wave to friends.

    If this is true, corporate would be aware of the behavior and chose to allow it.

    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...kely?gt1=43001

    Complete neglect by corporate to care for passengers while on the island, as can be seen in the interview with two passengers. These passengers contacted the American Embassy, and Carnival/Costas had yet to make any inquiries.
    I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman ... Arnold Schwarzenegger

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    6,983
    Once this rescue is done, the question on how to get the boat off the shore. It nailed a rock so there's a big gash in its hull. If the boat gets moved the wrong way, there's a risk the fuel from it will spill into the sea creating an calamity for the ecosystem and enviroment.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    536
    I can't believe one of the survivors compared this to the Titanic. I mean, yes, three people are dead, a couple dozen missing, but it seems a little over the top that it still seems to be all over the news.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    The Titanic was in deep water in complete dark with absolutely no one around to help.

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    They were talking about this on local radio. A Canadian couple (from Calgary I think) did the backstroke all the way to shore.

    I think I'm going to book a cruise in the next few weeks. Fairs are going to be low because every one is going to decide that they're death traps
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Interesting. I was in the NAVY and sailing at night in the middle of the ocean, all I could think of was how wonderful the stars looked as I lay on the deck staring at them.
    I have been on 5 cruises over the years and my favorite part is being at sea, day or night, and not seeing any land.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    4,344
    The only seagoing vessel I've ever been on was a ferry on the Oostende to Dover route across the Channel.

    That was cool, but it was before the Herald of Free Enterprise accident.

    I went up as far forward on deck as I could go and got all "Titanic" - but that was years before the movie.

    My ex-wife was sick the whole time. I felt fine, even in rough seas, but the ground kept going up and down for several days after we landed.

    Still I think I would feel safer sailing aboard something that came with its own runway.



    You be careful out among them English.
    "Wonder twin powers activate: form of a turd!" - how the infant Wonder Twins discovered their amazing superhuman gift.
    Don't mess with the banjo player - he's hard core, dude!
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Once this rescue is done, the question on how to get the boat off the shore. It nailed a rock so there's a big gash in its hull. If the boat gets moved the wrong way, there's a risk the fuel from it will spill into the sea creating an calamity for the ecosystem and enviroment.
    Salvage teams will firstly pump all the fuel oil from the bilges. They will seal the hull and then use flotation devices to raise it off the bottom. Insurance assessors will evaluate whether the ship is worth saving or towed to India to be broken up.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I have been on 5 cruises over the years and my favorite part is being at sea, day or night, and not seeing any land.
    It's a different world out there isn't it?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    4,344
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Salvage teams will firstly pump all the fuel oil from the bilges. They will seal the hull and then use flotation devices to raise it off the bottom. Insurance assessors will evaluate whether the ship is worth saving or towed to India to be broken up.
    Any chance that they will refloat it by pumping it full of ping pong balls like the Mythbusters?



    You be careful out among them English.
    "Wonder twin powers activate: form of a turd!" - how the infant Wonder Twins discovered their amazing superhuman gift.
    Don't mess with the banjo player - he's hard core, dude!
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Any chance that they will refloat it by pumping it full of ping pong balls like the Mythbusters?
    I wish! Wouldn't that be a sight to see?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  39. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,381
    There is a local couple that is still missing from this boat. I wonder if they have been able to find anyone else on the island or if most of those missing are just trapped in the boat.


  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    239

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    It's a different world out there isn't it?
    Yes it is and I love it.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    239

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,763
    Amazing photos snowblindburd. Thanks for posting.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    239
    Yeah I had a hunch that there should be some pictures from inside, etc. Thankfully my hunch was correct. I wish I could be there as part of the rescue effort. I absolutely love ships.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Centennial State
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Reports this morning by corporate, Carnival/Costas state the captain was responsible. Earlier reports have said it's common practice to do a flyby of the island, Giglio. In this instance the captain was taking the ship close to the island so his head waiter could wave to friends.

    If this is true, corporate would be aware of the behavior and chose to allow it.


    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...kely?gt1=43001

    Complete neglect by corporate to care for passengers while on the island, as can be seen in the interview with two passengers. These passengers contacted the American Embassy, and Carnival/Costas had yet to make any inquiries.
    If my family ended up in the drink because someone on board wanted to wave to his friends, I'd be EXTRA angry! Hello! If you want a job where you can wave to your friends, work in TOWN you idiot!

    smh

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    4,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    If my family ended up in the drink because someone on board wanted to wave to his friends, I'd be EXTRA angry! Hello! If you want a job where you can wave to your friends, work in TOWN you idiot!

    smh
    There's the problem right there! The home office will have to conduct a finite elements analysis and Seven Sigma and institute a continual improvement process according to DIN-ISO 9002 of course, but corporate is probably already framing a new "no headwaiters" directive that says:

    Going forward, all captains shall have to pour their own bloody tea!



    You be careful out among them English.
    "Wonder twin powers activate: form of a turd!" - how the infant Wonder Twins discovered their amazing superhuman gift.
    Don't mess with the banjo player - he's hard core, dude!
    Catch my music on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ve...aaqUrXEEcb50Y2

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    If my family ended up in the drink because someone on board wanted to wave to his friends, I'd be EXTRA angry! Hello! If you want a job where you can wave to your friends, work in TOWN you idiot!

    smh
    Seriously

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Yes it is and I love it.
    I do miss the NAVY sometimes.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

  49. #49
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,381

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Posts
    18,282
    They are currently blasting holes in the hull to get inside and see if anyone else is alive in there.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •