Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 128 of 128

Thread: Tallulah Bankhead

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    960
    Perfect casting! I'd love to see it.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Well, Vlad, I'm just glad Tallu is getting a little more shine in the spotlight of her beloved theatre.

    And really, compared to today's Hollywood---Tallulah makes Paris and Britney look like virginal girl scouts.

    LONG LIVE THE QUEEN DAHLINGS!!!!

    PS--I'm also glad to see Valerie Harper working. I've always thought she was fabulous!

    Last edited by TallulahDahling; 06-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.


  3. #103
    Guest Guest
    True Tallu, true! Hehe, I wonder if there is a pantyless cartwheel scene? I hope so - realism is a must!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    True Tallu, true! Hehe, I wonder if there is a pantyless cartwheel scene? I hope so - realism is a must!
    Dahling I don't know if Valerie could pull that one off!


  5. #105
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    Dahling I don't know if Valerie could pull that one off!
    The cartwheel or the removal of her underwear?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    YES!!


  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    I just found a priceless anecdote in one of my radio tomes about dear Tallulah. She pops up quite frequently in my radio travels, and I've come to adore her. Now, I must preface this by saying that the way our Tallullah Darling feels about Ms. Bankhead is probably exactly the way I feel about Katharine Hepburn. (It's taking the North/ South thing to a ridiculous extreme, because I live in Canada). Even so, I have to side with Tallulah in this one. Give the southerner a point for class!

    Radio director Harkin Sollett worked on a Lux radio theatre production in the mid 50's with Hepburn and Bankhead. ( Cecil B Demille did not actually direct the show, he just took credit and introduced the segments). Any ways, the great Kate walked in and proceeded to bark orders at everything and every one. Tallulah, who'd been sitting uncharacteristicly silent, smoking and watching this performance, quietly nodded her head at Hepburn's every ridiculous instruction to her. It wasn't until Hepburn was making her third trip back to the director's booth with 'suggestions' that Bankhead stuck out her foot and tripped Hepburn, leaving her face down on the floor.

    Hepburn lay there in utter shock. Bankhead stood, extinguished her cigarrette, picked up her script, and began to run her lines without a word.
    The broadcast went off without a hitch, and with no more 'direction, from Ms. H.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Ahh yes, dear Janie--I do agree--I SHALL STATE--that Tallulah was one helluva broad! Didn't want her as an enemy.
    No offense to Ms. Hepburn--loved her too but she was wayyy outta her league with Ms. Bankhead. Simply cuz Tallu didn't care what anyone thought--Ms. Hepburn sure did--and God bless her!
    She coulda taken lots of Hollywood down if she didn't care, ya know?


  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230

    A Royal Scandal

    will be on TCM this evening--check your local listings dahlings!


  10. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    332
    So basically, the skit they did in the "I Love Lucy" episode starrring Bankhead was a tongue-in-cheek salute to this tongue-in-cheek film.

    I'd never seen this before and I must say, it was charming.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Augusta, Ga
    Posts
    664
    Thanks for the heads up on A Royal Scandal, Tallulah. I DVR'ed it. I've been enjoying this thread on this actress and have heard of her through the years but never seen any of her work that I'm aware. She sounds fantastic.

  12. #112
    I saw Looped in D.C. Valerie Harper's characterization of Talullah is brilliant. I understand that the play is coming to Broadway, and anyone who has any sort of interest in either Talullah Bankhead OR Valerie Harper should go.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    I saw Looped in D.C. Valerie Harper's characterization of Talullah is brilliant. I understand that the play is coming to Broadway, and anyone who has any sort of interest in either Talullah Bankhead OR Valerie Harper should go.

    I would luvvvvvvvv to see it. Unfortunately, I'm a little broke and a little far away... sigh
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMB1967 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on A Royal Scandal, Tallulah. I DVR'ed it. I've been enjoying this thread on this actress and have heard of her through the years but never seen any of her work that I'm aware. She sounds fantastic.

    I thought she was fabby--too bad the critics panned it--had no sense of humor or sarcasm. My only complaint was that Vincent Price only had one scene--but at least it was at the end taking the last line!


  15. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    I just reread my Lucille Ball biography and the description of Bankhead stripping down at the I love Lucy rehearsal is now fresh in my mind.

    So for about the next six months, the phrase "Her crotch hung down to her knees" will haunt me.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    81


    Tallulah was a great fan of the early TV show Kukla, Fran and Ollie. She never allowed anyone to talk while it was on and would call puppeteer Burr Tillstrom almost every night after the show. KFO director Lew Gomavitz tells this Tallulah story:

    "...we were playing at the Johnny Victor Theater in New York and Tallulah never, ever missed coming down to the show every day at 7 o'clock, when we went on the air live. They always saved a place for her in the front row. But one day, we were nearing airtime and she hadn't shown up. Because we were live, of course we couldn't wait for anybody. Well, just as we went on the air, she burst into the studio dressed in a gorgeous mink coat. Kukla saw her and called out, “Tallu, you’re late!” She said, “I know, I'm sorry - I forgot about the show!” Then Ollie said, “There aren't any more seats, but come down and sit in front of the stage.” Tallulah said, “I’m fine back here,” but Kukla insisted, so she came down front.
    Now, remember the lights in those days made the studio terribly hot, so eventually Kukla glanced down and said, "Tallu, you must be miserable in that coat. Why don't you take it off?" She said, "I can't," and Kukla said, "Why not?"
    Without saying a word, she opened her coat to show why not. She was stark naked - just the mink and her shoes! Ollie disappeared from the stage immediately. But Kukla just stood there, sort of lost in his thoughts, and finally said, “Okay, if you want to wear your coat, wear your coat.” Those of us in the control room didn’t know what had happened, the TV audience didn’t know, but Kukla and Ollie knew!
    Tallulah told Burr later that back at her hotel, she had realized the show was starting and she wasn’t even dressed. So she just grabbed her coat, put on her shoes and rushed downstairs to hail a cab. Two or three minutes later she was in the studio, giving us all a memory that would last a lifetime."


    In the picture above: Shari Lewis, Kukla, Burr Tillstrom, Carol Channing, Ollie, and Tallulah
    Last edited by BuelahWitch; 07-04-2010 at 11:33 AM.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,519
    When I saw the Tallulah episode on Lucy, it was called the "Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour". These episodes (I believe there was only a handful done), were at the end of Lucy and Desi's marriage. IMHO, Tallulah's appearance was one of the funniest episodes ever. Her comic timing were the best. I read that she was not sober during the filming. She probably wasn't, but she was hysterical in it. She stole the show from Lucy. Period.

    The Dick Cavett story is priceless. I heard Dick tell this story years ago on some interview he was doing.
    Cindy

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    When I saw the Tallulah episode on Lucy, it was called the "Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour". These episodes (I believe there was only a handful done), were at the end of Lucy and Desi's marriage. IMHO, Tallulah's appearance was one of the funniest episodes ever. Her comic timing were the best. I read that she was not sober during the filming. She probably wasn't, but she was hysterical in it. She stole the show from Lucy. Period.

    The Dick Cavett story is priceless. I heard Dick tell this story years ago on some interview he was doing.
    Well you know what Talluh's last words were, don't you? "...Bourbon...codeine..."

    My favorite Bankhead quotes will always be:

    When a nosy reporter was trying to get Tallulah to out Tab Hunter (who was appearing with her in a play at the time), Bankhead answered: "Well I don't know dahling, he never sucked MY cock!"

    And this great comment: " Only good girls keep diaries...Bad girls don't have the time!".
    Last edited by fultondyke; 03-27-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: misspelling

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    Well you know what Talluh's last words were, don't you? "...Bourbon...codeine..."

    My favorite Bankhead quotes will always be:

    When a nosy reporter was trying to get Tallulah to out Tab Hunter (who was appearing with her in a play at the time), Bankhead answered: "Well I don't know dahling, he never sucked MY cock!"

    And this great comment: " Only good girls keep diaries...Bad girls don't have the time!".

    "...Bourbon...codeine..." LMAO. I can imagine her saying that!
    Cindy

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    I saw Looped in D.C. Valerie Harper's characterization of Talullah is brilliant. I understand that the play is coming to Broadway, and anyone who has any sort of interest in either Talullah Bankhead OR Valerie Harper should go.
    The New Yorker just gave it a rave. I'd LOVE to see it too...



  21. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,064
    I saw Lifeboat the other day and Tallulah was fabulous in this film. I have also been interested lately in her co star, John Hodiak and was trying to find some info on him. I had heard that he was one of the reasons she went without panties on the set, because she wanted him bad, and was teasing him. Is this true? Was John one of her conquests? In the movie, she also kissed him with her mouth open. I don't know how that got past the censors back in those days. Does any one know about this? Does Tallulah talk a lot about her Lifeboat experiences in her bio? What a film! I'd love to hear more about how it was made....
    Last edited by Rudy's Girl; 07-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,626
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I just reread my Lucille Ball biography and the description of Bankhead stripping down at the I love Lucy rehearsal is now fresh in my mind.

    So for about the next six months, the phrase "Her crotch hung down to her knees" will haunt me.
    Maybe it's just me, but I took the remark to mean that the crotch of Tallulah's teddy hung to her knees. Otherwise, Ms Bankhead had the world's longest vagina in history.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    When I saw the Tallulah episode on Lucy, it was called the "Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour". These episodes (I believe there was only a handful done), were at the end of Lucy and Desi's marriage. IMHO, Tallulah's appearance was one of the funniest episodes ever. Her comic timing were the best. I read that she was not sober during the filming. She probably wasn't, but she was hysterical in it. She stole the show from Lucy. Period.

    The Dick Cavett story is priceless. I heard Dick tell this story years ago on some interview he was doing.
    Tallulah on The Lucy & Desi Comedy Hour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiCdydG62SA
    You'll never understand a person until you walk a mile in their shoes? (Elvis quote)

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,064
    Here is a picture that I came across of Tallulah and her co-star John Hodiak from Lifeboat. I loved them both in this movie! The sexual tension was so thick between those two, that for sure. I just love reading about Tallulah and her hysterical quotes....what a lady!



    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628

    I hope she's resting in peace.

    In the middle of August I had a wonderful vacation with my brother and his wife, who live in Delaware, but own a sailboat which is berthed in a town called Rock Hall, Maryland. My SIL happened to mention that Tallulah was buried in St. Paul's churchyard, which is nearby. Of course I insisted that we pay a visit. The churchyard (cemetery) is beautiful and peaceful, and even features a small lake. I have since learned that Tallulah's sister lived in Rock Hall, and she must have made arrangements for Tallulah's burial. They didn't get along all that well, but in the end they were buried side by side. I almost forgot to mention that we watched the movie "Lifeboat" the night before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You say you've lost your mind? Well, if you ever find it again, please look and see if mine is there too!

  26. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    jacksonville, florida
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    In the middle of August I had a wonderful vacation with my brother and his wife, who live in Delaware, but own a sailboat which is berthed in a town called Rock Hall, Maryland. My SIL happened to mention that Tallulah was buried in St. Paul's churchyard, which is nearby. Of course I insisted that we pay a visit. The churchyard (cemetery) is beautiful and peaceful, and even features a small lake. I have since learned that Tallulah's sister lived in Rock Hall, and she must have made arrangements for Tallulah's burial. They didn't get along all that well, but in the end they were buried side by side. I almost forgot to mention that we watched the movie "Lifeboat" the night before.

    Thank you.

  27. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    8,801
    It was actually another friend, Louise somethingorother that arranged for Tallulah's interrment at Rock Hall. (Tallulah spent time there with both her sister and this friend, a rich socialite who owned most of the town. Why can't I think of her name???)

    I just finished Lee Israel's biography of Tallulah. Great reading if you can find a copy.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

  28. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Henrico VA
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    In the middle of August I had a wonderful vacation with my brother and his wife, who live in Delaware, but own a sailboat which is berthed in a town called Rock Hall, Maryland. My SIL happened to mention that Tallulah was buried in St. Paul's churchyard, which is nearby. Of course I insisted that we pay a visit. The churchyard (cemetery) is beautiful and peaceful, and even features a small lake. I have since learned that Tallulah's sister lived in Rock Hall, and she must have made arrangements for Tallulah's burial. They didn't get along all that well, but in the end they were buried side by side. I almost forgot to mention that we watched the movie "Lifeboat" the night before.
    http://www.writingthevision.com/haun...ulcemetery.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •