Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7141516

Thread: Celluloid Blasphemy- Don't remake these movies!

Lion King is being remade with James Earl Jones as the voice of Mufasa and Donald Glover as Simba.

Director will be Jon Favreau, who did The Jungle Book in 2016

"Favreau brought The Jungle Book to life last year, and though The Lion King won’t be live-action, it will look it. Favreau has plans to build upon his work on Jungle Book, which featured a human child actor and brought a jungle and its animals to life using cutting-edge technology and green screen."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...s-simba-977488
    Morgan

I wonder if this will happen now that Marshall has passed. I have to admit, the 1st 2 seasons of Happy Days was enjoyable to watch, it was set in the 1950's and came across as an actual portrayal of what life was like back then. I have always waxed nostalgia of the 50's, even though I wasn't born until 61', it's when my parents were also in their teens, and we grew up listening to a lot of music from that era. After season 2 the show started getting too slapstick, all the focus was on the Fonz, and it was just too over the top and unbelievable. And... what up with everyone sporting 1970's hair in an era that's two decades earlier??? Seriously, it got stupid. Sure, it saw a huge spike in the ratings once Fonzie became the main character, but I had stopped watching by then. I can't see how they would be able to recreate this show and it having any success, but they rebooted "One Day at a Time" on Netfix so I guess anything can happen.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Overboard starring Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn will be remade with Anna Faris (Scary Movies and the sitcom Mom) and Eugenio Derbez (yeah, I didn't know him either)

But this time it's totally different because Derbez plays a spoiled playboy who falls off his yacht and Faris plays a single working class mom, who convinces him they are married.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/anna-fa...180028866.html
    Morgan

For the love of God and all that is holy.......STOP REMAKING MOVIES, HOLLYWOOD! How about someone come up with.....oh i don't know......an ORIGINAL IDEA?

sorry, had to get that out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Lion King is being remade with James Earl Jones as the voice of Mufasa and Donald Glover as Simba.

Director will be Jon Favreau, who did The Jungle Book in 2016

"Favreau brought The Jungle Book to life last year, and though The Lion King won’t be live-action, it will look it. Favreau has plans to build upon his work on Jungle Book, which featured a human child actor and brought a jungle and its animals to life using cutting-edge technology and green screen."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...s-simba-977488
    I can dig it.

Enough with the King Kong remakes already. They all suck.

Life goes on.

ABC has remade Dirty Dancing as a made for TV movie--Gah!

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Enough with the King Kong remakes already. They all suck.
    Ha! No kidding. Can't stop until they make one with Tom Cruise or Johnny Depp. Typing that last name made me slightly nauseous.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

ABC has remade Dirty Dancing as a made for TV movie--Gah!
    I saw that!! And I refuse to watch it. Patrick Swayze must be rolling over in his grave. *insert angry eyes here*
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

Ha, Mel! Which one?

I heard an entertainment news piece about the DD remake on the radio on the way home from work today, Ria, I had no idea that it's going to be a musical to boot. The actors spontaneously breaking into song (yes, really) makes it a double no for me.

Life goes on.

Ha, Mel! Which one?

I heard an entertainment news piece about the DD remake on the radio on the way home from work today, Ria, I had no idea that it's going to be a musical to boot. The actors spontaneously breaking into song (yes, really) makes it a double no for me.
    I caught a bit of the TV trailer today. Interesting but no-go on the actors.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

You can fix anything but a blank page. --Bonnie Hearn Hill

The original was KIND of a musical. Granted no one burst into song BUT there is enough of a soundtrack for two albums. The ONLY music I listen to from that time period is the DD soundtracks and Grease.
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

It bombed with critics and fans and viewers ��

I read Rolling Stone's scathing review. The ending is easy to visualize and ridiculous.

Life goes on.

IT is being remade. No Tim Curry of course. Boooo!

Life goes on.

Yeah Some, I saw that, and the characters are all wrong, Bev has long red hair and Eddie's hair was pale blonde, and Bill's was a reddish brown I made comment about that on my one facebook page and man I got reamed big time, It's like Hollywood can't come up with anything original, getting tired of all these remakes.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer.

I'm sorry. Tim Curry is the ONLY Pennywise in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    I'm sorry. Tim Curry is the ONLY Pennywise in my opinion.
    I said the same thing when I first heard about it but from what I've heard, the actor who plays PW said he didn't even try to emulate Tim because he knew it would never work and he would only be slated. It would take a lot for it to beat the original. I doubt it will but from the trailers I have seen and from the ppl who have already seen it, it might not be the disaster most of us thought it was gonna be. I guess we'll have to wait a few more days to find out for sure.

It will be awhile before I see it (IT). I don't go to the picture show anymore. Need a Hag review.
    "What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" Pericles

Sorry.....Skully....but....."picture show"???? *rolling on the floor giggling*

I can't wait to see the IT remake. I did not like the original and this version looks rockin. The actor who portrays PW plays a vampire in Hemlock Grove on Netflix. He's a pretty good actor, as far as I'm concerned.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

The original wasn't the be all and end all, but Tim Curry made Pennywise an iconic character beyond King's novel. Like all of King's work that's adapted to the big screen (picture show for Mel), the actors make them or kill them just like the scripts and directors. I think it's because we see them first in our imaginations, and Tim Curry as Pennywise was what most of us imagined the character to be.

Life goes on.

I saw that somewhere. It's a bit creepy, but cute. I don't see it as nightmarish. Sheesh. But, then, I don't have a fear of children and clowns.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

Sorry.....Skully....but....."picture show"???? *rolling on the floor giggling*
    "Picture show" sounds perfectly reasonable to someone of my age - I mean, seasoned wisdom.
    I've been known to refer to them by their more literal name - "moving pictures".

I also happen to think that Levi's are still the best dungarees on the market - they match up perfectly with almost any pair of brogans; but forget about wearing the spats.

When are they going to remake, "The Mind Of Mr. Soames" - that's what I want to know?
    Throwing feces.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    "Picture show" sounds perfectly reasonable to someone of my age - I mean, seasoned wisdom.
    I've been known to refer to them by their more literal name - "moving pictures".

I also happen to think that Levi's are still the best dungarees on the market - they match up perfectly with almost any pair of brogans; but forget about wearing the spats.

When are they going to remake, "The Mind Of Mr. Soames" - that's what I want to know?
    Should it be a Talkie?

Life goes on.

Should it be a Talkie?
    I'm not so sure.
    That would add a dimension and depth to the re-make that apparently was never intended in the original.
    Throwing feces.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm not so sure.
    That would add a dimension and depth to the re-make that apparently was never intended in the original.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

Here's a few tidbits about the original IT. Alice Cooper as PW, nope.

http://listverse.com/2017/09/08/10-s...inal-it-movie/
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plan.

RIP DADDY 1/17/1925 - 5/26/2011
    RIP Momma 4/12/1930-5/13/2014

Alice Cooper's face isn't right to play PW.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

He also doesn't have the range the role requires.

Life goes on.

He also doesn't have the range the role requires.
    I haven't seen enough of his work to judge that.

I've heard nothing but raves about IT. I want to go see it, but I'll have to wait until it comes on Netflix or DVD. Sissy would take me if I could hear, anyway. Sissy does not like horror.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

I finally saw IT. I gotta be honest, as a fan of the 90 version, I was worried going in but it is actually as good as the reviews said it was. The whole cast are good especially the kids. There are a few bits that could have been done better but on the whole it's worth a watch.

I want to see IT. Maybe it will be offered on Netflix or I can buy the DVD--if my computer DVD will still play.

I started watching Stranger Things toward the premiere of Season 2 at the end of this month. Longmire is iffy. It usually premiers in September, but they haven't gotten it together yet, supposed to premiere this month. Who knows. It better come back for a tie up season.

I could not get into the Gerald's Game book and doubt I'd like the movie.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

I kind of want to see "IT," BUT I do believe the movie that is out is part one of two. If I were going to see it, I'd wait until part two comes out then see the first one and right away go see the second.

I kind of want to see "IT," BUT I do believe the movie that is out is part one of two. If I were going to see it, I'd wait until part two comes out then see the first one and right away go see the second.

They said they would only do Part 2 if the first was a hit and it's been revealed they are gonna go ahead and do it because of how well it was received. A lot of people want Jessica Chastain for the adult Beverly.

I hope to watch IT on my Amazon Fire. I just got it and am supposed to be able to watch thousands of movies and TV episodes. Between editing and packing to move I just haven't gotten around to charging it yet.
    Cindy Tapia
    Our Town

JMO, IT was a let down for me. I have heard it said King's books are not easy for writers and directors to translate to the big screen. This proves it. BTW, wasn't very impressed by the original. The kids did a great job, it was the story. The clown was good, they had a lot to work with, but I felt his lines were stale, they just left it to his apperance to be scarey.

I'm not a crictic, lol, this just how it struck me.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plan.

RIP DADDY 1/17/1925 - 5/26/2011
    RIP Momma 4/12/1930-5/13/2014

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    JMO, IT was a let down for me. I have heard it said King's books are not easy for writers and directors to translate to the big screen. This proves it. BTW, wasn't very impressed by the original. The kids did a great job, it was the story. The clown was good, they had a lot to work with, but I felt his lines were stale, they just left it to his apperance to be scarey.

While I haven't seen the newest IT, I have seen several movies based on King's books. I do agree with you, his work is rather difficult to translate to screen and get everything in. I've read the books and seen Misery, Christine, Pet Sematary, IT, Carrie, Firestarter, and Cujo that I can think of right off the bat, and read other books of his that were not made into movies. Thing is, a LOT of King's storyline goes on inside the main character's mind. Especially with Misery, Carrie, and Firestarter. You just can't convey that onscreen as well, not even with a voiceover.

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post

It's one of those films that seems to have divided people and they either really love it or think it was the biggest let down ever. It's not gonna win any awards but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be.