Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luby's Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by shoganc View Post
    He is good at what he does though. I cried during "Sicko".
    That is fine, as long as people realize that what he does is for the most part, fiction.

I won't even get started on Michael Moore. Anybody can make "statements" by editing speaches, interviews, and the like. Moore is great at his creative editing.

Somehow it seems that people think these massacres happen every day here in the US. Massacres aren't that common but when they happen they get a lot of news time because of a fear mongering news media. I, for one, think they should stop identifying the killers and giving their rantings news time. You don't hear about massacres in Iraq or Afghanastan and rarely hear of the horrors in Africa where they have AK47s readily available because their news media is controlled by the government and with the commonality of it over there, it's not news worthy any way.

I get sick of people asking what's wrong with the US that we let this happen. To me it seems these things go in cycles. Like the school shootings, there were a bunch clustered together for about three years then it stopped for awhile. Then there was some more clusters. I think parents need to take responsibility for making sure their guns aren't available to their children. They also need to explain to kids that movies, TV, and video games are fake. Too often people will say "He watched a lot of violence on tv, played violent video games." Such an easy excuse, easy things to blame instead of "His parents weren't around much so the tv and game console became his babysitter." Banning guns or not banning guns is not the issue.

There are millions of people in the US who own guns. There are a few of those people who go nuts and we have a massacre. We need to stop pointing at other countries and saying "Well you have this and we have this" because it would be easy for the US to point to Africa and say "we aren't really all that troubled when you look at what's going on there". Stop pointing fingers, stop passing the buck and STOP BLAMING VIDEO GAMES/TV/MOVIES!!!!!!! Sorry, that one really irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    I won't even get started on Michael Moore. Anybody can make "statements" by editing speaches, interviews, and the like. Moore is great at his creative editing.

Somehow it seems that people think these massacres happen every day here in the US. Massacres aren't that common but when they happen they get a lot of news time because of a fear mongering news media. I, for one, think they should stop identifying the killers and giving their rantings news time. You don't hear about massacres in Iraq or Afghanastan and rarely hear of the horrors in Africa where they have AK47s readily available because their news media is controlled by the government and with the commonality of it over there, it's not news worthy any way.

I get sick of people asking what's wrong with the US that we let this happen. To me it seems these things go in cycles. Like the school shootings, there were a bunch clustered together for about three years then it stopped for awhile. Then there was some more clusters. I think parents need to take responsibility for making sure their guns aren't available to their children. They also need to explain to kids that movies, TV, and video games are fake. Too often people will say "He watched a lot of violence on tv, played violent video games." Such an easy excuse, easy things to blame instead of "His parents weren't around much so the tv and game console became his babysitter." Banning guns or not banning guns is not the issue.

There are millions of people in the US who own guns. There are a few of those people who go nuts and we have a massacre. We need to stop pointing at other countries and saying "Well you have this and we have this" because it would be easy for the US to point to Africa and say "we aren't really all that troubled when you look at what's going on there". Stop pointing fingers, stop passing the buck and STOP BLAMING VIDEO GAMES/TV/MOVIES!!!!!!! Sorry, that one really irks me.
    I completely agree with you. All the news coverage is ridiculous. Things like this used to happen sporadically but we never knew & there weren't copycats b/c it wasn't on the news literally 24 hours a day. Talk about terrorism.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post

i have to agree with you on that last bit I AM SICK TO DEATH OF PEOPLE BLAMING VIDEO GAMES MOVIES AND TV!!!!!!!!

Let opinions be heard

I was going to post about this but searched first. I'm glad to see there already was a post. I had never heard about this shooting until recently when I stumbled upon a a video on youtube of a woman speaking before a legislative committee about the right to bear arms. She is a survivor and a first hand witness to the Luby's massacre. I like what she said. Some of you may already know about this or have seen it but I thought I would post it anyway.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

A special on the Luby's Massacre is on MSNBC right now!

"In a soldier's stance I aim my hand / At the mongrel dogs who teach / Fearing not I'd become my enemy / In the instant that I preach"
    - Robert Zimmerman, "My Back Pages"

Check out my slam poetry site! (I mean, if you have a moment...) http://davidupsetrasnake.com

Wow it's been 26 years already!
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer. #METOO