Thread: June and Jennifer Gibbons: The Silent Twins

June and Jennifer Gibbons: The Silent Twins

Was anyone else ever fascinated by these two? I was. I read the book about them last year, it was interesting but it still leaves many questions unanswered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_and_Jennifer_Gibbons

What an amazing story. Am I getting this right, that they could speak to others but chose not too? How bizarre.
    The only difference between a death hag and the rest of the world is that we don't DENY we're fascinated by death.... (Tebssis)

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    What an amazing story. Am I getting this right, that they could speak to others but chose not too? How bizarre.
    I agree, this is absolutely fascinating! And I'd never heard of them before this article...

From what I read, they had a hard time being understood by others, so they decided not to speak to others besides their little sister.

I wonder if the surviving sister who gave the interview after the other died lost her speech impediment...
    <3 Rest Well, pvezz. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    I agree, this is absolutely fascinating! And I'd never heard of them before this article...

From what I read, they had a hard time being understood by others, so they decided not to speak to others besides their little sister.

I wonder if the surviving sister who gave the interview after the other died lost her speech impediment...
    She still spoke in a rushed and wisperish manner, but I believe she can be understood now

i'm looking for pics of the twins, anyone have any to share?
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Fascinating thread...

Ya I was just about to post that pic, its all I could find via google images.. this is really a very interesting story .. I have never heard of this..

Wow! That is fascinating. I'd love to read their books.
    Suck it.

Surprised at the lack of pics, couldn't really find any either.
    The only difference between a death hag and the rest of the world is that we don't DENY we're fascinated by death.... (Tebssis)

I remember when their story first came to national attention. It was bizarre, fascinating and sad at the same time. I had no clue that Jennifer had died, nor what June was up to.......

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Here are some more pics of the twins.....

What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

]

Absolutely fascinating. I'm going to have to read Marjorie Wallace's book. I agree, Ich, I bet their writing would be something.

My dad was an identical twin. Even as adults, he and my uncle had a few funny "twin" things they did.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...IBRY_000022232 link with a picture of June at 37 and article. Pics are small

I read a little blurb about them on cracked.com where they had an article about 5 cases of twins going crazy at the same time. Reading the wiki now it's just fascinating. I want to read their books too.

Very interesting. I've never heard of them until I read this.

I have read Marjorie Wallace's book on them years ago, "The Silent Twins." I thought it was fascinating. Here's a link with another picture of the twins, this is the picture that was on the cover of the book.

http://www.sane.org.uk/resources/news/show_news/207
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/BlingPrincessRia/UnhappyMeal_zpsb1156d82.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shoganc View Post

Fascinating thread...
    That picture reminds me of a story by Theodore Sturgeon called "More Than Human".

wow talk about co dependent to the extreme. Very interesting I had never heard of them till now so thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Absolutely fascinating. I'm going to have to read Marjorie Wallace's book. I agree, Ich, I bet their writing would be something.

My dad was an identical twin. Even as adults, he and my uncle had a few funny "twin" things they did.
    This story is so interesting! My Grandfather was an identical twin (we have a disproportionate number in our family) and he and my uncle wore the same clothes, drove the same cars, lived in identical houses next door to each other, etc..
    It sounds weird when I write it like that, but it was all I ever knew so it seemed normal to me. They did get married (obviously, since I exist LOL) but they got married on the same day and they pretty much only hung out with each other during their lives. Twins are different and I imagine those little girls were having so many issues with their speech that it was comforting to have someone that understood you perfectly. Strange case, but you can see how it could happen.

Fascinating.....have to read up on these two

Identical twin boys live across the street from me. They are about 13. They fight constantly. They don't play together and do not get along at all.

These twins will be featured on Evil Twins on Investigation Discovery on Tuesday 10/9 central.

Suck it.

Looking forward to reading "Discomania".
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Author: Will Rogers

Read that book The Silent Twins. Very disturbing.
    "Canada may no longer have the penny but I have plenty of "cents" that is common"- pwem

I knew the Gibbons family briefly when they lived in Devon they were a lovely friendly family and the girls only ever giggled together but were so sweet....they didn't speak but would poke their heads into the lounge giggling and smiling .....so sad to see these events occur....they featur ed in a documentary as fire starters think in the eighties.

They sound like they were nuttier than a fruit cake.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

"When they start burning books, in the end, they will also burn people." - Heiner, 19th century German poet.
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Wow, I had never heard of them..so fascinating! I have to look for that book.

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Wow, I'd never heard of them either.

I had identical twin daughters 24 years ago yesterday. I called them to wish them a happy birthday and see if we could get together, and one of them (no idea which one answered the phone) said, "This is who? Mom? We don't have a mom!"
    Charmers, both of them.

I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)